Faith

Former ‘Baywatch’ actress, Mormon convert appears on reality TV

Comments

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    May 15, 2014 3:10 p.m.

Using a doctrinal basis in the training of children seems most wise. Here are a few we used, and our kids turned out with relatively few chinks in their armor:
    Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."
    "I teach them correct principles, and they govern themselves." Joseph Smith.
    D & C 121:41-46 (Too long to quote here, but v. 43 needs a little explanation): "Reproving betimes with sharpness, when moved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of love..." "Betimes"; is somewhat obsolete, but means "early, quickly, while the problem is still present."
    If we learn the doctrine, understand its relevance to a specific situation involving a child, then apply it to the teaching of the child, we can be very successful in the raising of children.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 15, 2014 12:08 p.m.

Good job Kelly and Big D!

See ya in a few weeks!

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    May 15, 2014 11:53 a.m.

I get annoyed that the Mormons that usually pop up in these types of shows tend to be rather "orthodox." People get the impression that it's a "Mormon rule" that your daughters can't pick their own clothes, wear makeup, etc etc.

I've got four daughters, all active in church, and they all pick their own clothes . . until they want to wear something that's too revealing (this happened recently) or just ugly as sin (happens from time to time). I don't think we've ever laid down an explicit rule on makeup, but they all seem pretty moderate in how they use it. I fail to see the problem. We have always said 11 years old for pierced ears. Why? No particular reason. Our youngest just got hers done. Seemed to work out well.

I don't get the value of controlling every little aspect of their lives. That's not "letting kids be kids," as so many overprotective parents believe theyr'e doing while sheltering the poor little ones from awful awful worldly influences. Unpucker, people.

• Dr. Thom Long Beach, CA
    May 14, 2014 8:31 p.m.

I watched Baywatch every week, but just for the story line

• Jrod Gman Clearfield, UT
    May 14, 2014 11:52 a.m.

@SLCPorter
    Your attempt to make a petty political/social comment about the DNews not running articles on Tyler is pointless and futile. Might I suggest using the DNews search options and enter "Tyler Glenn" and/or "Neon Trees".

• Ken Sandy, UT
    May 14, 2014 11:19 a.m.

Porter, actually the Deseret News has run several stories on Tyler Glenn and the other members of the Neon Trees. Try "Google" its a great tool!

• SLCPorter SLC, UT
    May 14, 2014 10:40 a.m.

I haven't seen the Deseret News run any stories about Tyler Glenn, lead singer of the Neon Trees? He is a Mormon celebrity too. I wonder why...

• kiddsport Fairview, UT
    May 14, 2014 9:37 a.m.

It sounds like both families gained something from this swap. Family time and date nights have been promoted by the LDS for at least a couple of decades. It is just harder these days of accelerated lifestyles.

• RRB SLC, UT
    May 14, 2014 6:32 a.m.

I had a big crush on her when she was on the California Dreams. Never watched Baywatch.