Sports

New QB commit Trent Hosick on BYU's interest: 'I can’t tell you how much that meant to me'

Comments

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 15, 2014 2:25 p.m.

Tomahawk Red
    North Salt Lake, UT

Chris is talking about offers for the guy AFTER he left Missouri, not before.
    ===
    And after I bought my house, Realtors stopped calling.

The kids had made his choice.

Utah fans, so cute, so insecure.

Grow up...

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    May 15, 2014 1:55 p.m.

FACTchequer
    Salt Lake City, UT

It's laughable that you're trying to erase the offers for a BYU recruit, something you wouldn't even think of doing if Trent had decided to transfer to Utah.

-------

Chris is talking about offers for the guy AFTER he left Missouri, not before. He was a four-star coming out of high school, but didn't rise to the top at Mizzou and now seems to be a Jake Heaps-type prospect.

Chris is referring to that fact. Plenty of offers out of HS, yes. But any power conference offers upon his transfer?

• FACTchequer Salt Lake City, UT

Kansas
    Kansas St.
    Minnesota
    Northern Illinois
    Northwestern
    Tulsa

Trentk, a red-shirt freshman, was listed 4th on Missouri's depth chart, but had a pretty good spring practice.

Hosick completed 16 of 31 passes for 206 yards and two touchdowns over three spring scrimmages, also running eight times for 46 yards.

He saved his most electrifying play for the final quarter of the Black & Gold spring game, hitting Eric Laurent down the sideline for a 93-yard touchdown pass.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    May 14, 2014 9:02 p.m.

Whoops, I meant GRE. I was applying for grad schools. See, even reflecting back on that experience gave me cloudy thoughts!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 14, 2014 8:06 p.m.

So, bottom line, he's a born again athlete, looking for a place where he doesn't have to be the odd-ball. Interesting that he will feel more at home with the moral surroundings at BYU than at a public university. I love that he feels welcome and accepted here.

As to his abilities? We'll see. So far, so good, but Jake Heaps looked stunning on paper, and even had a pretty decent first year.

As for Tanner? Whichever quarterback stands the best chance of winning, that first, last and everything. All other things being equal, I love the born again Christian, but I'm cheering for the returned missionary.

• Chessermesser West Valley City, UT
    May 14, 2014 7:33 p.m.

I wish well, in school and with the team. BYU is a clean school in all meanings of the word. He will enjoy his two years there!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    May 14, 2014 5:47 p.m.

Love the comment how clean everything is. It really is above average, and I've attended and worked at about 7 universities. BYU is more up to date and has the nicest facilities of any other place I've been to. I once had to take the ACT and the only place I could fit in my schedule was the u. It was an overall awful experience. First, there was a blizzard that day. The school had old building after old building. I got lost and went inside three buildings and they all were like prison cells....all cement with those little holes...in EACH building. It was dark and unwelcoming. I hope they've upgraded cuz it was such a depressing place. That was only 8 years ago.
    Cleanliness and the feeling of new is very attractive to people, and BYU has all that and more. What a great school! I hope this guy is welcomed by all and has a great football career.

• The Anti Chris Salt Lake City, UT
    May 14, 2014 4:22 p.m.

CB,
    Please the article before commenting.

"He chose the Tigers over multiple Big-12 and Pac-12 offers"
    So you see he DID have offers from your so-called power conferences. Nice try to tear down the Cougs, again.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    May 14, 2014 3:46 p.m.

Come on Chris - give it a rest!

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 14, 2014 3:00 p.m.

Danite, I'm a Utah alum that cheers for the Y, even over the U. I used to wear a shirt to class, especially in front of Mr. Mitchell. It said, "My favorite teams are BYU and anyone that plays Utah."

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    May 14, 2014 2:17 p.m.

Stringer Bell

And maybe Thompson can help keep Utah ranked ahead of Colorado, but probably still behind the other 10 PAC 12 members.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    May 14, 2014 11:20 a.m.

Pac12 member by default

Maybe he can help keep BYU ranked ahead of Charlotte, but probably still behind Army and ND in independents.

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    May 13, 2014 11:17 p.m.

To the contrary, this kid has a great arm and a great knowledge of the game. If he works out as a Cougar, only time will tell. Allot of athletes go bust (see The Utes last few QB's) But no one knows until these guys get on the field and do their thing. Missouri was just not the right for him so what is the big deal. I remember people like Chris B. saying the same thing about Hall of fame QB Troy Aikmen when he transferred from Oklahoma to UCLA. Things worked out pretty well for him. Some guys just like to take shots for the sake of taking shots. I hope all kids who transfer have success. Even the ones for the Utes and even ones who transfer from BYU (Matt Carlino). If guys with harsh opinions knew anything, then they would be head coaches and would never lose a game. But opinions are there for us to take jabs at our rivals and make ourselves feel good about the fact that our lives just aren't that exciting!

• oldtimeftballer Salt Lake City, UT
    May 13, 2014 10:34 p.m.

please.

First of all, good for Mr Hosick. I would do the same.

But he has a below average arm, and J Poll you dont know the first thing about throwing mechanics after reading your comment. He is going to have a hard time making the 20 yard out pass against a D1 defense. Looks like they ran the veer a ton in HS and all passes were play action fakes. He is a run first kid that does look like he has speed (for a QB). But I see why he was the 3rd string at Missouri, and watching Maty play in HS and the huge amount of TD passes he threw, it would be hard to beat him out anyway(and last year). I just dont see this kid as close to the answer/seeing the field. And if Mangum leaves-we will sink more into being a non-factor in the college football world. Beat the "should beats" and lose to ranked opponents. We need to hire a better recruiter-there is no way we/BYU should have no heir apparent to Taysom. This is worse than Utah a few years ago. Wake up Cougs!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 13, 2014 10:09 p.m.

Someone needs to give Chris a calendar. Christensen wasn't at mizzou when Hosick was...2009, prob didn't even recruit the kid. Give it a rest...utah has 7 QBs so why would they have a scholarship for another? Most programs are in the same situation with a transfer this late. Luckily BYU could offer him a scholarship after this year. Good luck Trent, we're happy to have you, and happy to see the angst you're causing with the cellar dwellers on the hill.

• River Coug Fort Mohave, AZ
    May 13, 2014 10:00 p.m.

Thank you, Danite! As a BYU alumnus and the son of a member of the medical faculty of the Y, I too root for both schools. I hope they both have stellar years.

Go Cougs!

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    May 13, 2014 9:20 p.m.

Danite,

I love your comment!

Go BYU!

• Danite Salt Lake City, UT
    May 13, 2014 4:44 p.m.

As an alumni of both BYU and Utah, I am one of the weird people who like to see the good in both schools. While I unequivocally root for the Utes over BYU, I root for BYU on all other occasions. This article highlights to me, everything that is good about BYU athletics. BYU is a unique place and this kid felt that, I wish him the best!

Go Utes!

• 311ute Reno, NV
    May 13, 2014 4:29 p.m.

Enough of the "utah was a default choice for the p12" smack. It's so played out. We are going into our 4th year of this people. Was Utah a second choice after the Texas schools? Of course they were! Saying that the Utes were a default choice just says that BYU was never in the conversation. Have fun playing with Navy and Army (who also by the way have national championships and hiesman trophy winners so quit saying that BYU has such a decorated past, it was 30 freaking years ago)

Anyway, it will be fun to see how both QB transfers will work out for BYU and Utah. Thompson got passed up by injury and Hosick just got beat out by the other kids on the team. With that said, I think both kids will come in and contribute. It is interesting that Hosick hasn't gotten any other intriguing offers, perhaps BYU found a diamond in the rough. Good luck kid, see you in two years.

• Juxtaposed West Jordan , UT
    May 13, 2014 3:55 p.m.

He hasn't played, so just like Kendal Thompson it's hard to say if this will work out. Utah also got a transfer already from Wyoming. and has 7 quarterbacks on their roster. Maybe they didn't offer him because no team need 8 quarterbacks. Ever. Don't be myopic. It's impossible to say how this will work out but some Monday Morning QB's keep trying.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    May 13, 2014 3:53 p.m.

He may want to transfer back after a year there.

• J Poll Gilford, NH
    May 13, 2014 3:52 p.m.

Yes is can run --and fast, but also illusive and strong. A true dual-threat QB's can pass. Quick release without extra - wasted motion or mechanics. Nice accuracy short , mid and long range. Great on the timing routes/throws. Let's hope it translates to the next level.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    May 13, 2014 3:30 p.m.

Some people ask questions in their comments that are clearly answered in the article. Do you actually read the article? He said BYU contacted him right away and he only visited BYU so other teams weren't really given the chance to pursue him. Also, he was a red-shirt freshman this last season so he would have been recruited maybe 2-3 years ago at the most. How long was Christensen at Wyoming? Doesn't seem to add up but I'm not obsessed with other teams so I couldn't tell you for sure. Welcome aboard, Trent and good luck at the JC. See you next spring.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 13, 2014 3:12 p.m.

Sounds like he wanted to go to K-state but they showed no interest. A coach that helped recruit him to Missouri is now at Utah, and Hosick confirmed that coach also showed no interest.

Does anyone know if since deciding to transfer a single power conference team offered him?

• Coyoteghost Saint George, UT
    May 13, 2014 2:57 p.m.

What an excellent video showing his capabilities. Mangum is going to have competition for lst string quarterback!

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    May 13, 2014 2:23 p.m.

Anybody remember the days when you could comment on a BYU article without Chris B having commented first?

Yeah, me neither.

Welcome aboard, Trent! Kid sounds like a fireball, I like his competitive spirit. Looks like an athletic kid that needs to refine his arm a little bit, so the JC route for a year will be good for him.

Shaping up nicely, though. You can never have too much QB depth. Man, the off-season is slow. The 2014 football season can't come soon enough!

Go Cougars!

• PAC 12 member by default! Harrisville, UT
    May 13, 2014 2:18 p.m.

He's a good kid and hopefully will do great things at BYU and in this case, unlike the PAC 10 calling up the utes, BYU was not chosen by default.