Sports

Mike Sorensen: It's a busy time of sports year, but college football lurks around the corner

Comments

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    May 14, 2014 8:47 p.m.

Tomahawk Red

You're mercy for the Ute schedule, and justice for the BYU schedule gave me a good needed laugh. Also, your avoiding ASU's assessment didn't go unnoticed either! Cheers!

• Manfred Man Salt Lake City, UT
    May 14, 2014 5:11 p.m.

BYU's year will probably be something like this:

UConn- Probable win, but Bronco does have a track record of starting slow.

Texas- probable loss. Horns will be thirsty for revenge.

Virginia- Win

Houston- Toss up. Plenty of offense in this game.

Utah State- Toss up. Ags have been close to winning in Provo the last two times.

UCF- Win.

Nevada- Probable win. A senior Cody Fajardo could give BYU fits, though.

Boise State- Toss up. Boise is hard to beat on the smurf turf.

California- Probable loss. Cal will be much better than last year and coach Sonny Dykes runs a great offense when everybody is healthy.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    May 14, 2014 3:36 p.m.

CougarSunDevil

------------

regarding your clearly-biased assessment:

UConn- sorry but this is a toss up, yet you call it a guaranteed win. Your team is infamous for starting slow, especially on the road. Last year you couldn't beat the ACC's worst team, who didn't beat another FBS team all year after BYU. There's just no way you can pencil this in as an easy win. Sorry.

Texas (toss up, depends on the new coach) - Toss up, okay. But only due to the fact that BYU beat them last year. Texas is salivating at the chance to get revenge.

Virginia- Probable win, but you lost to them last year.

Houston- Toss up. You barely beat them last year.

Utah State- Probable win

UCF- Toss up. UCF lost Bortles but this is still a very good team.

Nevada- Nevada has given BYU trouble in the past, and they are expected to win the MWC west this year.

Boise State- Toss up. BSU has no problem beating BYU. So to say this is a guaranteed win is just ignorant.

California- With nothing left to play for, what motivates BYU in this game?

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    May 14, 2014 3:27 p.m.

CougarSunDevil
    Phoenix, AZ

Now, how am I not being objective?

-----------

Just because we arrive at the same conclusion does not mean we arrived at that conclusion the same way or by using the same reasoning.

You stated that Utah won't win six because you give them zero chance of winning six games. Zero chance. None. A foregone conclusion in your opinion.

I stated Utah will certainly have their chances to win more than six games, I just don't think they will.

It's the difference between saying they won't win six because you're a Utah hater, and saying they won't win six because I just don't think Utah will eke out enough of those tough contests.

But they will be in many of those games you have already written them off in.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    May 14, 2014 2:55 p.m.

As a Ute fan - I can't wait to see Chuckie Keaton play, and I hope he will stay healthy all season long. He is the most exciting QB in the state!

Go Utes!

Onward and Upward!

Bring on Michigan!!

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    May 14, 2014 8:37 a.m.

Uteology,

"I think the MI game will make or break Utah's season"

I agree with you. I think the Michigan game will set the tone.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    May 14, 2014 8:36 a.m.

TR

"So Utah is going to lose to Colorado for the rest of the program's history, based on that single loss in 2011... despite the fact that Utah has beaten them ever since?

Now that's logic friend."

Let me help you with the whole quote...

"I'd be with you on the Colorado prediction but that first loss to them when Utah could have played in the PAC-12 championship game still looms in my mind and that was the best team Utah has had since joining the PAC-12. I'm not sure about a win to Colorado. That one (as some utes like to point out) is their rivalry game which means anything can happen."

There you go, now it makes sense because if you guys think this is your rival, then anything can happen in a rivalry game. Plus, Wittingham had everything to win in that first year, therefore, if Utah is playing for a potential bowl game or anything else, perhaps he'll choke again like he did that year. Now, that is more logical isn't it?

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    May 14, 2014 8:33 a.m.

Tomahawk Red

You quote me "I don't see six wins (for Utah)"
    Your comment "That's because you're not thinking objectively."
    Your comment later in the same post "I don't think Utah will win six games this year. I believe they will win four or five."

Now, how am I not being objective?

"What about BYU? Where are they getting six wins from?"

UConn Win
    Texas (toss up, depends on the new coach)
    Virginia Win
    Houston win
    Utah State win
    UCF toss up
    Nevada win
    Boise State win
    Middle Tennessee Win
    UNLV win
    Savannah State win
    California Win

I'll even give you my assessment of ASU!

Weber State Win
    Oregon State win
    Washington state win
    Arizona win

This is how you do it!

• Big Blue Payson, UT
    May 14, 2014 7:38 a.m.

Chris wrote, "BYU is listed third among the independents, behind Notre Dame and Navy but ahead of Army and Charlotte..." Well when there are only five or six total, it doesn't take much to rank in the upper half. Being ranked behind Navy doesn't say much at all....

• Duckhunter Highland , UT
    May 13, 2014 9:18 p.m.

@uteology

"I think the MI game will make or break Utah's season"

I don't think that just one of their probably 8-9 losses is going to "make or break" anything. It is just another loss.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 13, 2014 9:11 p.m.

Tom Red:
    "Michigan, Oregon State and ASU are not guaranteed losses. Not by a long shot."

Question: will all these teams have winning records? Chances are good they will with their returning talent especially at the QB position. Winning P5 team on the road = utah loss...utes have given no reason whatsoever to believe otherwise. These are losses for the utes, take it to the bank.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 13, 2014 6:12 p.m.

@CougarSunDevil

Utah has better talent today than we did then season one. The difference, the schedule this year is about 20 times harder.

Wins: Idaho State, Fresno, @Colorado, Washington State
    Probable Wins: Arizona

So Utah will need one more win against: @MI, USC, or @Oregon State

I think the MI game will make or break Utah's season, starting 3-0 is critical.

• Manfred Man Salt Lake City, UT
    May 13, 2014 3:01 p.m.

@Tomahawk Red

Hate to break it to ya, but I'm not a BYU fan. And I certainly wasn't trying to rile anybody up. If Utah wins a chunk of their toss-ups, they'll probably go bowling. But the last two years for the Utes should have seriously tempered anybody's expectations by now.

All of the hardest games are on the road for the Utes, and some of the home games are going to be extremely tough. I just made the predictions based off of my gut reaction and how Utah has fared since joining the PAC.

At best, I think Utah goes 7-5. At worst, 4-8. There's my honest prediction.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    May 13, 2014 2:23 p.m.

CougarSunDevil
    Phoenix, AZ

That first loss to them when Utah could have played in the PAC-12 championship game still looms in my mind and that was the best team Utah has had since joining the PAC-12.

----------

Now that's logic friend.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    May 13, 2014 2:21 p.m.

Cougsndawgs
    West Point , UT

Michigan- loss
    Stanford (at Stanford)- loss
    Oregon st (road)- loss
    Oregon- loss
    UCLA (road)- loss
    ASU (road)- loss

---------

Take the blue glasses off pallie. Michigan, Oregon State and ASU are not guaranteed losses. Not by a long shot.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    May 13, 2014 2:20 p.m.

CougarSunDevil
    Phoenix, AZ

I don't see six wins in there even with another lucky Stanford type game.

------------

That's because you're not thinking objectively. You're thinking with your Coog goggles on. Let me enlighten you:

3 near guaranteed wins: ISU, Fresno, Colorado

There's three.

3 very possible wins:

Wazzu (home), Arizona (home), Oregon State (road)

3 toss-ups:

USC (home), ASU (road), Michigan (road)

3 virtually guaranteed losses:

Stanford (road), Oregon (home), UCLA (road)

So... you got the three near gimmes, and take your pick for three of the six remaining games where Utah should have a shot at taking.

The point is, the six wins are potentially there. And Utah has more than a slim shot at getting them. To talk like it's impossible for Utah to get three more games, like you have, merely shows your clear and discriminating bias.

All that said, I don't think Utah will win six games this year. I believe they will win four or five, and Whittingham will be gone-zo, and the 2015 Utes will begin the climb back up the mountain.

What about BYU? Where are they getting six wins from?

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    May 13, 2014 11:58 a.m.

Thanks Duckhunter! Cheers!

• Manfred Man Salt Lake City, UT
    May 13, 2014 10:41 a.m.

I bet the Ute's year goes like this:

Idaho St.- win
    @Stanford - loss
    Arizona - toss-up
    @Colorado - toss-up

• Duckhunter Highland , UT
    May 13, 2014 10:23 a.m.

@CougerSunDevil

chris b...errrr....ken, tried this exact same thing a couple of weeks ago. Predicted 6 wins but when quizzed refused to say what 6 games she thought utah would win and then used the exact same ridiculous MLB analogy, as if predicting 12 football games and 162 MLB games have the slightest bit of equivalency.

The fact is she cannot name 6 games she thinks utah will win because no one can name 6 games they think utah will win. Asking her to do that brings logic into the discussion rather than delusional desire and delusional desire just doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Of course as you said if she gave the prediction of which 6 games she thought they would win and they only won 4 of them, but then won 2 other games instead still getting them to 6 wins, then she would have been correct anyway about the win total. All thinking people understand that teams lose games they shouldn't as well as win some they shouldn't almost every year. She has just made so many ridiculously wrong predictions over the years that she is afraid to make any more. It's funny.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    May 13, 2014 9:41 a.m.

Tam

I'm sure there are plenty of Utah trolls on BYU articles, however I never read, or comment on BYU articles, so I can't speak to that point. I do read and comment on Utah articles, and there are an awful lot of BYU fans posting on Utah articles as well. It goes both ways.

• Tajemnica West Valley, Utah
    May 13, 2014 9:25 a.m.

@PocyUte

I'll agree with you that the world doesn't revolve around Provo and that this article is not about BYU solely, however, based on all the other 'BYU' articles on DN.com I will not agree with your so called 'classic BYU fan mentality' as about 75% of the comments made on BYU articles are by utah fans.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    May 12, 2014 4:38 p.m.

I'm hopeful the Utes will get to a bowl this year. I'd always like to see all the in-state teams play in a bowl.

Below is my "Way Too Early" view of hew the Utes get to six wins. Tough year since the Utes are tough at home but have their toughest opponents at home.

ISU
    Fresno St. (new QB, they were all Carr last year, would have been a good game last year)
    Michigan (Utes will be 2-0 and confident; Michigan has lost to teams a lot worse than Utah OOC)
    WSU (riding the wave of 3 in a row; at home
    OSU (Beavers aren't favored very often but will likely be here; good time to sneak up on them)
    AZ (at Home; AZ doesn't travel well in the PAC)

There's six. If they win those, I think they'll be so happy/relieved that CU will beat them in the last game. If they're at 5 wins going to Boulder, they'll have a good chance, especially if CU can't get bowl eligible by winning.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    May 12, 2014 3:20 p.m.

MacNasty,

I didn't realize this is BYU article. You'll notice it includes information about Utah, Utah State, and Southern Utah.

Not only that it is linked to the Utah and Utah State pages.

Classic BYU fan mentality, though--oddly enough the world doesn't revolve around Provo.

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    May 12, 2014 3:00 p.m.

I get a big kick every time I see "fans" of a losing, doormat program post on BYU articles. It appears that BYU evokes strong, negative emotions out of those fans. I guess they figure it is better to post negative comments here than to waste their time trying to support their team; even if it is facing another losing season. Go figure.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    May 12, 2014 3:00 p.m.

Oh good, the preseason bickering and prognosticating has gotten it's second wind.

The games can't start soon enough, ugh.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    May 12, 2014 2:17 p.m.

Blue Husky,

"Colorado - nuff said"

"Michigan - BiG is overrated..."

No argument that the BiG is overrated, but being in Michigan, I'm thinking the edge goes to the Wolverines. Perhaps I'll be surprised, as well as most of college nation, and Utah gets by Michigan, but I wouldn't bet on it. Of course Appalachian state.

"USC - maybe they could be had"

I would agree with you if USC still had Lane K. Now I don't see Utah winning that game. I could agree with you on Oregon St. You'll understand if I disagree on the ASU upset thing. Utah hasn't beat ASU since 1977. I'm going with tradition, and the home team there! I think at best it's 5-7. It's a tough schedule.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    May 12, 2014 1:52 p.m.

@CougarSunDevil

Looking at the list for Utah, I'd guess they have a good chance to win the following;

Idaho State - gimme
    Fresno State - not a gimme but at home
    Washington State - not a gimme but at home
    Colorado - nuff said

Upsets
    Michigan - BiG is overrated and they won't respect the Utes.
    USC - maybe they could be had

That would be six. Maybe the upset would be Oregon State or ASU. I think they'll upset at least one team this year.

They got a chance.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 12, 2014 1:36 p.m.

Ken, I think what CougSundevil is trying to say is, he doesn't see where Utah gets 6 wins, and I agree with him.

Michigan- loss
    Stanford (at Stanford)- loss
    Oregon st (road)- loss
    Oregon- loss
    UCLA (road)- loss
    ASU (road)- loss

...that's 6 losses, meaning that against USC, Wazzu, Colorado, Arizona, Fresno & Idaho St you have to go undefeated...not happening. I just don't see how Utah goes bowling this year. Secondary wasn't very good last year & U lost your best player back there. Lost your best pass rusher/LB. It's hard to imagine Utah being better this year, and they have 6 road games this year vs only 5 last year. Combine that with the always unexpected flop against an inferior opponent & it's hard to imagine U being anywhere but home for the holidays.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    May 12, 2014 1:22 p.m.

Ken,

If you predicted 6 wins and provided the teams you thought Utah would win, didn't win all of the ones you said, but still got to 6, I'd give you props.

"Do you have a favorite baseball team? If so, why don't you tell me how many games they'll win this year and which ones they'll win and which they'll lose."

This seems to come out of left field (pun intended) because predicting 12 college football games is vastly different than predicting 100+ MLB games. I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish with that other than not answering my simple question about who you think Utah has a chance to beat this year. After reviewing their schedule which Utah fans love to boast about being so difficult, I don't see six wins in there even with another lucky Stanford type game. For your convenience, I've posted Utah's schedule:

Idaho St.
    @Stanford
    Arizona
    @Colorado

• Ken Sandy, UT
    May 12, 2014 1:01 p.m.

CougarSunDevil,

I think the team is good enough that they will win 6 games. What if I predicted 6 wins and told you which ones I thought Utah would win and ended up being 2 wrong on the win column and 2 wrong on the loss column. That would mean I missed 4 games but still correctly predicted 6 wins. Would you say I was right or would you say I was way off base?

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    May 12, 2014 11:58 a.m.

Ken,

"I think Utah will go bowling"

Alright, I'll bite. Exactly who do you think Utah is going to beat on their schedule to give them 6 wins?

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    May 12, 2014 11:57 a.m.

We'll go bowling again for sure because we are real good win a lot of teams.

Go Utes!

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    May 12, 2014 11:45 a.m.

Utah should eventually get back to six wins and a bowl game. This year though, I can't see how they are going to do it as this schedule is by far the most difficult the team has faced. I am quite confident the Utes will win the home opener. The Utes should be favored two or three times this season. Lets say they win those (Idaho State, Fresno State and Colorado). What are the other three wins they are going to get?

• Robroy Murray, utah
    May 12, 2014 10:44 a.m.

utah won't be bowling at any time this decade and likely beyond. Rolling a ball down a wooden lane doesn't count.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    May 12, 2014 10:17 a.m.

I think Utah will go bowling, but just barely. It will be even more challenging than last year, given we don't have the automatic win playing byu and take on Michigan instead. But I'd never wish it any other way. Beating byu just doenst do anything for our program anymore.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 12, 2014 9:20 a.m.

lol. The DN has a way of getting people riled up.
    I'll go along with them.

byu the 3rd place independent is telling.
    "Cougars have one demanding stretch through the month of October". lol.

Darrel Garretson...What?

A copy of the Sporting News Football Yearbook will get pinned up on the Utes bulletin board as soon as it arrives.

• Condescending Wonka Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 12, 2014 8:54 a.m.

It's that time of year again-the pre-season talking heads are at it again. There might as well not even be a college football season, since the all-knowing oracles have prognosticated exactly everything that will happen this year. If you think that Keeton will start over Garretson, or that BYU is playing in the Miami Beach Bowl, and not the Hawaii Bowl, you're wrong.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 12, 2014 8:53 a.m.

Smh...sounds to me like TSN is not getting any better in their assessment of teams and talent. No Chuckie Keeton, seriously? I'll wait for Phil Steele thank you very much.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    May 12, 2014 8:26 a.m.

Nine Pac-12 teams are projected for bowl games — nine! Only Cal, Colorado and Utah are not picked to go bowling this year.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 12, 2014 7:59 a.m.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 12, 2014 7:41 a.m.

I agree that makes the whole story suspect.

I'd be pleased if Taysom Hill proves to be the best quarterback in the state.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    May 11, 2014 10:27 p.m.

Darrell Garretson over Chuckie Keeton? What?
    Where is the Sporting News writer getting his information?