Utah

BYU edges U. as most desired school in Utah

Comments

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    May 13, 2014 9:51 a.m.

Flashback,

My experience is pretty much the opposite to yours.

As an out of state applicant, attending BYU was a WAY cheaper alternative for me than going to my school of choice, the University of Utah. I attended BYU on an academic scholarship, then went to the U for medical school.

I enjoyed my time at BYU, but believe that I would have enjoyed the U even more.

I expect BYU gets a big boost in its application and acceptance numbers because it is the nation's most heavily subsidized private university.

The article entitled "BYU's new president hailed as brilliant, kind, compassionate" in last week's DN is a worthwhile read. He sounds like a wonderful man, and he has said interesting things about the tuition at BYU.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 13, 2014 7:14 a.m.

Sorry Ubees. Foiled again. I'm one of those that couldn't get into the Y but had no trouble getting into the U. I'm a U alum but a Y fan. Only went to the U because I had to.

• BYU>utah Provo, UT
    May 12, 2014 10:03 a.m.

Really? We all know that BYU offers a much higher quality education than utah. Must we remind everyone that the one thing BYU and uofu students have in common is that they both applied to BYU. BYU has a national and international reputation for good in the world. utah has a regional reach at best.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    May 11, 2014 3:33 p.m.

BYU's tuition is 36% cheaper for Latter-day Saints from the state of Utah, and 80% cheaper for non-LDS students from outside the state. As a private institution, it can offer more seats to out of state applicants than the University of Utah can.

And that amounts to BYU getting 69 more applications than Utah did?

Wow....

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    May 10, 2014 1:44 p.m.

Poor ekute is sad again

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    May 10, 2014 1:55 a.m.

The 'sharpest tool in the shed' is a relative term here. Grades are given and produced by the university (BYU) and earned by its' students who are dedicated to the church, and the latter makes up department subject matter as inductively connected. If you're all in and converted to the academic coupling of church and school (doctrinal education), then yes high grades and education seem comparable to something academically defined as the 'sharper school' belief. The problem for many is that they don't see it that way. Comparing BYU to Harvard above sounds nice to those with affection towards BYU, but most find BYU academically very far behind Harvard.

Don't get me wrong, getting into BYU is a very credible accomplishment. BYU students narrow down (specialize) their vision and production. But others look to expand their mind at a university in a greater multitude of ways, or so they might argue, meaning the sharpest tool assessment is again a statement of opinion and relative description rather than fact. Saying otherwise is arrogant. But prideful close minded academics , rather liberal, conservative, religious or secular all think this way. Being truly open and tolerant can be attained as well.

• RSLfanalways Why, AZ
    May 9, 2014 4:21 p.m.

Here are the admitted numbers if I did it correctly:

BYU admitted 4,365
    UoU admitted 3,165
    USU admitted 3,863

I am a little surprised that UoU was at 34% and USU was higher at 44%. Maybe tuition cost is hurting the UoU and this helps USU since it has a lower tuition and living cost.

• Socal Coug San Diego, CA
    May 9, 2014 9:59 a.m.

BYU's strict acceptance requirements are a testament to their quality. Although it likely deters some from even applying, making this statistic even more meaningful. I didn't know BYUI accepted 100%.

• Pops NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    May 9, 2014 9:13 a.m.

The real irony of the cold fusion fiasco is that the folks at the U were so concerned about beating BYU's Stephen Jones to the punch that they overplayed their hand. If they had been focused on their own work instead of on beating someone else, it might have played out differently.

That's what petty rivalries get you.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    May 9, 2014 8:44 a.m.

Old But Not Stupid,

You mock the cold fusion research done at the U by Pons and Fleishmann but the research goes on despite the big missteps made by the two U researchers at the time. Here is an update from April 16, 2014:

There are at least four contenders in the race to bring a cold-fusion powered heat-producing device to market in the near future. These are the Rossi E-cat project now based in North Carolina under the aegis of a new firm called Industrial Heat; the Brillouin and SRI effort to develop a nuclear reaction boiler out in California; the Defkalion Green Technology’s effort in Vancouver and Greece to market a heat producing device later this year; and finally BlackLight Power’s radically different “hydrino” technology which, if it proves to work at a commercial scale, could trump all the rest.

• Jeremy234 SLC, UT
    May 8, 2014 5:28 p.m.

eastcoastcoug: I sure didn't apply to BYU.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 8, 2014 4:22 p.m.

@Old But Not Stupid, Moorpark, CA

Re: "Ute fans/alums might also want to temper the assertions about GREAT science"...

BYU is a great school. I went to both. But your pretense that UofU doesn't have a good reputation on science is silly.

The University of Utah is ranked 47th in the U.S. (of 108 research universities) and 82nd in the world (of over 500 research universities).

The University of Utah received over $309 million in research and student aid funding from external sources and ranks 15th in the nation for significant awards to faculty for research efforts.

I'd put the amount of scientific research coming out of the U up against any University in the State (including BYU).

Both have their advantages and disadvantages...

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    May 8, 2014 3:06 p.m.

CodyCougar
    Madison, SD

"A story like this only creates more Ute resentment and adds to the ever-thickening wall of separation."

Disclosure: I attended neither school.

I agree with Cody's comment, and I believe that this fact--a little story increases resentment and separation--exposes a lack of self-esteem/self-worth by those showing their resentment and animosity.

I think this is very odd, given the the proclamations communicating just the opposite by those who think think the U is better than sliced bread. I mean cheer your alma mater on, but drop the juvenile "my dad can whip your dad".

But the Ute fans/alums might also want to temper the assertions about GREAT science. Where I come from "cold fusion" is little more than a dirty word.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    May 8, 2014 2:53 p.m.

Dutchman
    Murray, UT

"The State of Utah is not a great supporter of its flag ship university."

It does not have to be.....they have their prestigious cash cow PAC-12 athletics to help pay for things.....along with the Eccles and the Huntsmans.

• YGradFan CENTERVILLE, UT
    May 8, 2014 2:09 p.m.

Sorry, but these schools are not even comparable, in my opinion. I did my undergraduate work at BYU and my graduate work at the U. Would never go back to school at the U, but would return to BYU in a heartbeat. I am encouraging my kids to go to BYU. But if they don't make it in there, then to Utah State. I told them they are on their own if they go to the U.

• EdwardB Carefree, AZ
    May 8, 2014 1:57 p.m.

I went to both schools. Gotta say BYU was far better in the sciences in which I graduated. At the time I graduated from the UofU a great many students failed the Botany portion of the GRE which was a graduation requirement for biology students. The U of U's solution was to drop the requirement and let them graduate. Might be much different now, but I was so p/o'd at the school that I refused to attend graduation. I would have stayed at BYU, but I was paying my own way..lived two blocks from the U and really had no choice.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    May 8, 2014 12:50 p.m.

I have attended both the U and BYU, and in my opinion, BYU is not a real university. At a real university like the U, different ideas are welcomed and discussed. At BYU only approved ideas are welcome. This is why BYU does not have advanced degree programs in "controversial" subjects (like English and History!).

• Socal Coug San Diego, CA
    May 8, 2014 12:06 p.m.

This is the only time you will see BYU "edge" Utah.
    Everything else is a blowout.

• CodyCougar Madison, SD
    May 8, 2014 11:48 a.m.

An interesting number comes form the Utah ACT State Profile.

The first number below is the number of students reporting at the time of the test their top post-secondary choice. The second number, is the percent of students with an ACT score of 24 or more. Of state schools, Utah State University, has the admirable academic profile using this metric.

BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY 4,143 52%
    UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY 3,134 38%
    UNIVERSITY OF UTAH 5,198 34%
    UTAH VALLEY UNIVERSITY 1,975 28%
    WEBER STATE UNIVERSITY 1,901 24%

• CodyCougar Madison, SD
    May 8, 2014 11:33 a.m.

I don't know that stories like this get us anywhere. UU is a local school with a commission to serve a local populace. BYU is a national caliber school that courts high-end academic students. More and more Utah students will--by necessity, have to chose a Utah school as BYU continues to attract out of state academic talent. "Most desired" is an exceptionally misleading characterization. A story like this only creates more Ute resentment and adds to the ever-thickening wall of separation.

• Eliot Genola, UT
    May 8, 2014 11:14 a.m.

After reading the article I couldn't help thinking about apples and oranges.

• Girlse State Midvale, UT
    May 8, 2014 10:42 a.m.

There is nothing wrong with applying to Utah - in fact I'd recommend it to most students in the area. A "fall back" plan is always a good idea in life.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 8, 2014 10:41 a.m.

Here's a pat on the head for byu. I don't know what else to make of this information.

• lixircat Indianapolis, IN
    May 8, 2014 10:16 a.m.

@ Brave Sir Robin
    I went to BYU for chemistry (that is science by the way) and went on to get a PhD from a top 20 school. Most of the graduates that year went on to get PhD's from Harvard, Yale, Wisconsin, Illinois, CalTech, etc., which are some of the best graduate schools in the world.
    I'll agree that BYU's science grad programs aren't all that great, but the undergrad programs are fantastic! From my experience, most schools are only good at one or the other. It all depends on where the professors put their focus. Most Nobel prize winning professors couldn't care less about the lowly undergraduates who get in the way of their research, 99% of which is done by graduate students.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    May 8, 2014 9:52 a.m.

'Brave' Sir Robin,

I like the University of Utah OK but, unless you're from Utah, what's the point? There are plenty of great state schools and other universities around the country. Many or most Utah students commute from home and most are LDS (a whopping 83% from Utah). Where's the diversity? The majority of U. students are White and LDS and only 3% belong to fraternities. It's not that different from the average SLC high school. If you want diversity, don't stick around and go to school in the state of Utah.

• bry Taylorsville, UT
    May 8, 2014 9:45 a.m.

Its funny to compare the headlines on the salt lake tribune to the headlines of the Deseret news. At least one newspaper in this state knows what real news still is and I don't think its very hard to know which one it is.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    May 8, 2014 9:36 a.m.

Wow! This story leveled me with a tsunami of indifference! I may not recover for . . wait; what was I saying?

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    May 8, 2014 9:35 a.m.

This is not surprising. Thanks to the generous support provided by the LDS Church tuition is now lower at BYU than it is at the U. The State of Utah will only provide 40% of the funds required to get an undergraduate education at the U. 35 years ago that allocation covered 75% of the cost. Also, the facilities at BYU for the students are top notch. The LDS Church provides much of the funding needed to build and maintain those facilities. The U is constructing a much needed on campus student recreation and health center. The State of Utah did not allocate one dime towards its construction although it is for the students. It had to be funded by the Eccles family and an increase in the student activity fees which added to the cost of tuition which is already high. The State of Utah is not a great supporter of its flag ship university.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 8, 2014 9:25 a.m.

BYU is the most desired school in Utah. Unless you want to:
    Go into science or technology
    Meet someone who's not exactly like you
    Play in the NFL

• Fyodor Mikhailovich Salt Lake City, UT
    May 8, 2014 9:19 a.m.

This is probably the biggest non story of the year. Maybe of interest to University administrators and who cares what they think?

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    May 8, 2014 9:19 a.m.

One thing BYU and Utah students have in common: they all applied to BYU...

• Neuron NotInMiami, FL
    May 8, 2014 8:11 a.m.

For some reason my comment got cut off. In essence it said that 75th percentile at the U is a 27 ACT and 3.88 GPA. 75th percentile at BYU is a 31 ACT and almost 4.0 GPA. BYU students are just about the sharpest I've been around (and I've been at a top-10 university and a top-50). Nothing against the University of Utah, it just does not have the same caliber of students that BYU does.

• Neuron NotInMiami, FL
    May 8, 2014 7:54 a.m.

BYU also has more students than the UofU so it should get more applicants. The number of applicants is not the key. The key is the number who are accepted who attend. Only Harvard has a higher "yield" for those accepted actually enrolling (barely higher than BYU). The UofU provides good education but

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    May 8, 2014 7:36 a.m.

Did anyone ever think otherwise? Of Course BYU is on top! Go Cougars.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    May 8, 2014 7:01 a.m.

Please tell me this isn't going to evolve into an immature rock throwing contest between lovers of the U and the Y. But then, how could it not?

• AggieFan74 Ogden, UT
    May 8, 2014 6:55 a.m.

I find it interesting that an aerial photo of the athletic complex was selected as the apparent most important "visual" representation of BYU. No doubt the best collegiate athletic facilities and teams "money" can buy.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    May 8, 2014 6:40 a.m.

Well, no kidding!

• TimBehrend Auckland NZ, 00
    May 8, 2014 5:44 a.m.

Does it make sense to compare the number of applications received by a state school with a regional reputation with those received by a private religious school that attracts the attention of all LDS around the world, not just in one low-population state? Why does everything have to be a competition with you Americans anyway?

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    May 7, 2014 11:26 p.m.

The numbers; 11,423 to 11,354 and the Desnews thinks this to be their usual BYU validation news. I wouldn't be surprised if this comment is threateningly controversial and censored. I wait on like a bird on a wire.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    May 7, 2014 9:42 p.m.

Are you saying the logo rated 4th best in the nation isn't being used anymore?

• SSmith Salt Lake City, UT
    May 7, 2014 9:30 p.m.

These sources are only reporting what most of us already knew.

• Girlse State Midvale, UT
    May 7, 2014 8:11 p.m.

Utah offers 82 percent of applicants and 2/3 of that group say no thanks? I guess when you have a choice between Utah and elsewhere, elsewhere is the clear preference