Faith

Elder Holland tweets now, too: 'Being with missionaries is the greatest'

Comments

• Open and honest Manchester, 00
    June 10, 2014 5:50 a.m.

Is it newsworthy that these Twitter accounts have now been taken down?

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Provo, UT
    May 10, 2014 10:17 p.m.

@Mack2828,

Twitter is a communication tool like a telephone, vehicle, computer or something as simple as a pen and paper. Joseph Smith was instructed to use the means given to him to advance the work. The Bible has plenty of accounts of people using tools to further the work. Noah and Nephi were both instructed to build sea vessels with tools and specific building instructions. Joseph Smith was instructed to use the Urim and Thummim to translate the Book of Mormon. If the Savior commanded me to use a computer to help others, who am I to disagree with Him?

All those arguments aside, technicalities are the most meaningless part of our existence. I could care less about whether the Bible has an example or whether it "seems normal" or not. I offered those for your benefit if it helps. In actuality, the only thing I care about is whether it feels right.

This feels right. For me, I can't find anything wrong with this man or his using a computer. No more than we are also.

• Mack2828 Ft Thomas, KY
    May 9, 2014 11:50 a.m.

With all due respect I don't feel comfortable with the idea of an apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ using "twitter." If Jesus were here on the earth today I can't imagine that he would be using it. Just my opinion, offered with respect.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    May 8, 2014 3:59 p.m.

I am still not fully convinced twitter is useful. I have started using it, but I am not sure that I will learn much from it or get many messages out. I think waiting till there is a clear way to control use and understand what is going on is wise.

• BJMoose Syracuse, UT
    May 8, 2014 7:46 a.m.

I am absolutely befuddled why anyone would think that two apostles using technology that has been available for over 8 years is newsworthy. What would be newsworthy and interesting to know is why it took so long.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    May 8, 2014 5:19 a.m.

That's an interesting take by Mr. Holland.
    I worked in the mission home for 7 months and had the responsibility of picking up all the General Authorities that came to our mission from the airport. Both Boyd K. Packer and Loren C. Dunn made it pretty clear that visiting "missions and missionaries" was the most difficult thing they had to do. Very interesting.