Sports

Utah State's Chuckie Keeton, BYU's Taysom Hill named to Heisman Trophy watch list

Comments

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    May 16, 2014 1:07 p.m.

4 and 10 people were better than him. You aren't the best if 4 and 10 people are ahead of you on the list. Weaker competition? The number 1 team in the country consistently isn't weak. He isn't special. He's played one year and been on the bench the rest. Want to talk about weak competition let's talk about almost every WAC 2.0 team and a team like Toledo. Anyone can win. You've "disproven" nothing. Keeton is nothing end of story. The only WAC 2.0 team that's worth anything is Boise State and maybe Fresno State but the rest of your conference is a huge joke.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    May 16, 2014 7:40 a.m.

Now you're being truly ridiculous. 5th and 11th out of ~120 other FBS players is elite by anyone's definition. Well, anyone who knows anything about football. And yes, FCS vs. FBS does make a difference, as evidenced by the fact that FBS teams beat FCS teams 92% of the time. And when FCS teams do win, it's usually against a weak FBS team like NMSU, Minnesota, or UNLV, to name a few in recent history. I do remember when we played Texas State...I was at the game and we mopped the field with them. Brad Sorenson was a great QB, but his numbers still don't stack up to Keeton's even though he played against weaker competition. It just goes to show that Keeton is a truly special quarterback.

Now, lets hear some more reasons why Keeton isn't a "good" QB, now that I've disproven your first attempt.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    May 15, 2014 1:19 p.m.

Take it easy. You'll never convince me Keeton is a good QB. I read it perfectly and there are no pros to Keeton. You are agree with me, he isn't an accurate QB. He was ranked 5th for playing in 3-4 games? So the year he not surprisingly got injured he was ranked 5th(meaning four players were better than him) and the year before which is the only year he played a full season he was ranked 11th(meaning 10 people were better). It just keeps getting easier. FCS/FBS it makes no difference. It's still college football. Remember the one year you played Texas State? They came from our old conference. We love Brad down here because he was great. You love Keeton because he's playing for your team so what's the point? Brad won, Keeton stayed on the bench. I said USU would be undefeated because it was what you wanted to hear. USU could never go undefeated and we all know it.

• Aggie253 Logan, UT
    May 15, 2014 6:54 a.m.

Additionally, your assertion that USU would be undefeated if Keeton was an accurate passer is both illogical and absurd. Going back 5 years, I couldn't find a single #1 ranked QB in completion percentage whose team went undefeated that year. Kellen Moore at Boise State came close, but still lost to TCU.

What else have you got?

• Aggie253 Logan, UT
    May 15, 2014 6:53 a.m.

Stang, you didn't read what I asked very well.

You did, however attempt to make one salient point, which was that "he might have an arm, but if it was accurate USU would be undefeated and he would be playing at the end of the year but he never does." [sic]

I will rebut that point. Keeton is actually an exceptionally accurate passer. Last season, he was ranked 5th in the country in completion percentage (69.4%) including games against USC, Utah, and BYU (all very good defenses). The previous year, in which he started every single game USU played, his completion percentage was 67.6%, good enough for 11th in the country. That included games against Wisconsin, Utah, BYU, #20 LaTech (9-1) and Toledo (9-3).

By way of comparison, your beloved Brad Sorenson's best year was his second year at SUU, where he averaged 67.8% against FCS competition. His completion percantage at USU two years ago was a "glittering" 38.7%. Keeton completed 84% of his passes in that game, missing his receiver only 4 times.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    May 14, 2014 10:30 p.m.

I think I saw one of you talking on the news the other day, would I be right saying that? You made every point Aggie238 so I don't have to. If he was any good he would play more than 3-4 game a year. He would stay off the injured reserve list. He has little to no skill. He might have an arm but if it was accurate USU would be undefeated and he would be playing at the end of the year but he never does. Anybody but the aggie fan's can see this. Was Nelson mediocre when he was at USU? Give me an honest answer to that. He wasn't mediocre until he transferred. And he still beat USU more times than not. We will never know Keeton's pro's because he can't stay on the field long enough. Bottom line Keeton's skills are limited because every team he faces is ready for him.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    May 14, 2014 2:34 p.m.

I'll even give you an example:

Riley Nelson is a mediocre QB.

Pros:
    Never quits
    Good scrambler

Cons:
    Poor decision making at times
    Weak arm
    Inaccurate passer
    Run-first mentality. Doesn't have the patience to let a play develop and get it to the right playmaker.

Pretty simple, right? Note that I didn't mention his injuries (collapsed lung, 3 fractured vertebrae), because I don't think it's relevant to his skill as a quarterback. Rather, I focused on tangible and demonstrable deficiencies in his skill set, while not being afraid to mention his strengths.

Lets see if you can do the same kind of analysis of Keeton.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    May 14, 2014 2:15 p.m.

Ok, Stang,

If you're so convinced that Keeton is "sub-par," then please share with us what, exactly, his skills shortcomings are as a quarterback? Passing accuracy? Arm strength? Football IQ? Mobility? Speed? Command of the offense? Athleticism? Ability to make on-field decisions?

Please enlighten us. Since we've already discussed his injuries ad nauseam, and we know your opinion there, you can dispense with that discussion. Bring something to the table to back up your assertion that he is sub-par. If he's as bad as you say, you ought to be able to find something more than a couple of injuries.

So let's hear it. Why, exactly, is Chuckie Keeton a sub-par quarterback?

Or is it just that he happens to play for Utah State?

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    May 12, 2014 2:13 p.m.

We've established what I am okay tinplater. The reality is Keeton is sub par. Look, the point of this is to get peoples hopes up to think their player who has zero chances of winning it has a shot. Keeton is a novelty act on this list. What has he done besides sit on the bench? USU is small and has little national exposure? Wouldn't know that with the endorsement you're giving them.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    May 11, 2014 5:10 p.m.

Stang0, I don't know what would impress you, but the highlight tape of Chuckie's efforts is appreciated by many who don't know Keeton. It is your anti USU bias that clouds your ability to accept reality. You are about the only person I have encountered who feels Keeton is not an exceptional talent and QB. Just to be considered two successive years as a Heisman candidate is enough to document he has talent. Too bad you can't sit back and enjoy what he does. And we all know he won't win the Heisman, but like being nominated for a Nobel Prize, being on the list is exceptional recognition; when you realize there are hundreds of college QB's out there and a player from a small university in Utah with little national exposure, is chosen, it is even more impressive.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    May 11, 2014 12:09 p.m.

My struggle continues with tinplater. I don't "want" him to be injured. I just know it's something he does. He isn't a great QB. He can't stay off the bench long enough to show what skills he may have. I don't believe he has any because he hasn't shown anything but I don't want anyone to get injured. More words being put in my mouth. That "highlight" tape was put together during the only full year he played and isn't that impressive. He isn't a good QB. No one will hear about him at the next level. I say that because he hasn't played enough to impress pro scouts.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    May 10, 2014 8:40 p.m.

Stang08 and others who may not appreciate Keeton's abilities, I suggest you go to youtube and search for keywords Keeton Heisman . The highlight tape is amazing, and was put together after his sophomore year. The straight-arm against an Auburn defender is amazing.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    May 10, 2014 8:33 p.m.

I love Stang0. Almost everyone who is objective admires Keeton for his amazing athleticism…he is exciting, explosive, and a joy to watch play because at any moment something amazing may happen. Stang0 almost must want him to be injured so he won't be able to succeed. What a sad way to view sports. Here's hoping Chuckie dazzles us this year. I can hardly wait.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    May 10, 2014 7:10 p.m.

eky, quit making stuff up. Everyone I've told I attended BYU knows exactly where it is and I've lived out of Utah for 8 years. It's a highly respected school outside of Utah. Don't make up stories to pretend it's not.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 10, 2014 6:37 p.m.

The U and USU bring exposure to the state. byu seeks exposure only for it's self and the Church. I asked my buddies at work and they said that most people outside of Utah don't know where byu is.

• derecha Central, UT
    May 10, 2014 2:36 p.m.

ekute: Utah and USU bring exposure to collegiate football in the state?? Look at ratings, especially outside the state and see who leads the pack. I guarantee it's not either one of those two. Also, this watch list was published by CBSSports.com, it has nothing to do with ESPN. No obligation to include BYU.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    May 10, 2014 2:15 p.m.

co, you're cute. In response to this "Beat some quality teams first as making a watchlist, while nice, means absolutely nothing" you say "Also ignored is that utah had a higher ranked recruiting class than any other school from the state." Not even relevant to the comment at hand. When you can bring substantial conversation, then will you be worth of a full reply. Until then, keep staying off topic to prove your points.

Oh, and for someone who follows BYU sports so closely, you'd know that Texas was #15, full of 4/5 recruits, with a seasoned coach. BYU exposed them and put their team in chaos yet they still ended up #2 in their conference. As for other great wins, there are multiple, even last year. Many ended up near the top of their conference, all annihilating wins for BYU.

Back to the topic of Van Noy being on the Heisman watch list...

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    May 10, 2014 1:00 p.m.

BYU maybe, Tennessee no snowballs chance in you know where.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    May 9, 2014 10:43 p.m.

If Chuckie can just get us a win against Tennessee and BYU, I'll be happy as a clam! Good luck Chuckie!

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    May 9, 2014 10:16 p.m.

CO Ute

"Utah sells out every home game, has good attendance on the road"

I've seen the "attendance" of Utah fans at ASU games. If you call that good I'd hate to see what bad is.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    May 9, 2014 6:59 p.m.

It never stops. Your D was ready for Sorenson let it go. All that told me was your D was scared of the man and his talent. He deserves as much "respect" as you do. Ever heard of a team effort? Keeton is one man and he isn't good. Keeton had nothing to do with shutting down Brad. It was two years ago. You avoided my question.

• Ironmomo Ogden, UT
    May 9, 2014 1:44 p.m.

Would that include the predictions you made when Sorensen and Keeton went head to head two years ago?. I guess Keeton was good enough that day to go 22-25 for 300 plus yards and two touchdowns while Sorensen only managed a 12-31 day for zero touchdowns and 153 yards. It seems like someone like Keeton, who by himself produced more offensive yardage than your entire team, would be deserving of a little more respect.

• lixircat Indianapolis, IN
    May 9, 2014 1:22 p.m.

To be perfectly honest, we all know that neither of these guys is going to get a wiff of the Heisman.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    May 9, 2014 1:06 p.m.

This is great. Two of the usual USU fan's want to continue the argument but won't mention my name. Facts are facts guys. The Seahawks didn't need Wagner or Turbin to win the Super Bowl and Keeton isn't half the QB you guys think he is. He can't stay off the bench and isn't worth the hype. Ironmomo, my predictions about Keeton have always come true. He will get hurt because that's what he does. Go Big Blue, can you appreciate past athletes from other Universities? Keeton is not a great player. He isn't even a good player.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 9, 2014 12:15 p.m.

lixircat,
    They're all wondering why your so obsessed with Utah and why your not asking about the Heisman watch list? lol.

• lixircat Indianapolis, IN
    May 9, 2014 11:52 a.m.

I noticed that both posts who doubted me have the code UT underneath their names.

Just asked 5 more.
    A Ohio State fan, UConn fan, Purdue fan, N. Illinois fan, and a Michigan State fan.
    Only the Ohio State fan knew you were in the PAC-12. The UConn and Purdue guys couldn't name your mascot. And the N. Illinois guy said, "That's like the NIU basketball team bragging that we're D1. We know we're bad enough to just stand in the corner and hope no one notices us."

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    May 9, 2014 11:36 a.m.

It is funny the different glasses fans and haters see through.

For example, you can have a hater that flat out states that Wagner and Turbin will never be drafted. Then says they will never make the team. Then denies the fact that they both played and made major contributions to the Seahawks winning a super bowl. The same type of hater will never be able to appreciate an amazing player like Keeton because simple because he plays for Utah State. It is really a sad situation.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2014 11:16 a.m.

@ lixircat

I just asked 10 co-workers whether your story was true or not..... They all said it's not.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 9, 2014 11:10 a.m.

lixircat,
    I just did a survey in Tuscaloosa and everybody knows who the Utah Utes are and most of them think that byu is in a conference with New Mexico State, Idaho State and Pacific.

• lixircat Indianapolis, IN
    May 9, 2014 10:39 a.m.

As for the debate about what people outside the state of Utah think about UofU "belonging" in the PAC12, I just asked 4 co-workers here in Indiana who are moderate college football fans (BIG10 for the most part). Two of them didn't even know Utah was in a BCS/power conference and the other two, who were aware of that, said "who cares?"

• Ironmomo Ogden, UT
    May 9, 2014 10:29 a.m.

If past predictions are any clue as to who will be playing then Chuckie Keeton is going to have a great senior year and a great NFL career.

• AggieFan74 Ogden, UT
    May 9, 2014 6:02 a.m.

No doubt about it, Chuckie is the "man" with this Aggie football squad. He'll set the all-time season and career record for passing and total yards before he's done at State. A smart football player and competitor...............but he's not going to get an invite to the Downtown Athletic club this fall.......too bad but that's more often than not reality when you play for a midmajor with a "long" history of being an also-ran in Division I football. You just can't be a real-die-hard Aggie without a deep hatred for BYU.........it's been that way since cows grazed the Quad in front of Old Main. With that out of the way, you have to give credit where it's due and this Taysom Hill kid is the real deal and deserves to be on the watch list. The kid will beat you with his football smarts, feet, arm and just plain competitiveness.

• hobbes1012003 Kaysville, UT
    May 9, 2014 3:02 a.m.

@Go Utes! Go Yale!

Why yes, I ACTUALLY have spoken to many people outside the state of Utah, because my world extends beyond the state borders. Very few football fans think the Utes belong and even fewer have nice things to say about them.
    I have a large family and friend base that are Ute fans (I try to no hold that against them) and just like the good folks on these chat boards, they spend more time being proud of their Conference than they are of their University. As the infamous Chris B likes to say, "I love my PAC-12 membership!"

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    May 8, 2014 11:14 p.m.

Aggie238 you would be saying he's a great QB if he stayed at USU. I'll admit Hall is the best BYU has had in recent years. Keeton has played 1 full year and sat on the bench the other two. He's nothing special. You won't even hear about him past his college days. You'll only hear about him for three or four games max this year.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    May 8, 2014 7:54 p.m.

@CougarSunDevil - very classy of you to make a point about attacking the exaggeration and then focusing on a typo. A bit of the pot calling the kettle black wouldn't you say?

Regardless, you comment was inaccurate; I called you on it and you have no defense.

Your opinion that the Utes have abysmal viewership and attendance is simply that, an opinion. Utah sells out every home game, has good attendance on the road, and has plenty of viewers. Maybe you forgot that the rating for the Sun Bowl a couple years back had more than twice the viewership that BYU had in their bowl game. Your opinions lack any data to support the statement.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    May 8, 2014 7:46 p.m.

@striker - you name one quality team that BYU beat very early in the year before they made a major coaching change and started winning some games. So at this point the concept of beating quality teams (plural) has not been supported. Ignored is the fact that Utah beat both the Y and USU last year. Also ignored is that Utah had a higher ranked recruiting class than any other school from the state. Great job pontificating your opinion but nothing more.

Hill is a dynamic player that is a huge threat as a runner and may become a significant threat as a passer. However, that doesn't make a good team just a potentially good QB.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    May 8, 2014 5:22 p.m.

co ute,
    "Beat some quality teams first as making a watchlist, while nice, means absolutely nothing."

So Texas, who was so close to being Big XII champion, who BYU obliterated, isn't a quality win? BYU IS beating quality teams AND getting QB's on Heisman watch lists. Too bad you can't see the obvious.

You're wrong about it being nothing. It means the team is making it so one of their players looks great. That is exceptional coaching and fantastic team unity. A player can't make a watch list like that without either of those two elements. Absolutely it means something...it means people are watching the player and the program to notice. We have ESPN to thank for getting and keeping BYU in the national spotlight so BYU's best players can be on such watch lists. I challenge you to find one team who has a player on this list and tell me how bad their team is currently.

• Go Utes! Go Yale! Salt Lake City, UT
    May 8, 2014 5:01 p.m.

@hobbes1012003

"No wishing needed...Food for thought."

Hobbes, have you actually asked "anyone" outside the state of Utah? Or did you just chat with your biased friends who cheer for the same teams you do?

Hobbes, who have you seen/heard "chest beating"? Literally or figuratively? Where did the incident take place? Provide one solid example.

Hobbes, there are more PAC 12 signs than there are U of U signs? I don't think so. Not even close. I'd love to see you try and actually prove that one!

And to answer your question, we Ute fans are actually proud of both! What's so hard to understand about that? We're not begging you Y fans to proclaim whether you love your beloved Y or your conference of independence more. So, who's making all the fuss about conference stickers versus U of U stickers? A whooooole lotta cougar fans. Food for thought.

• Robbie32 Mesa, AZ
    May 8, 2014 3:45 p.m.

I really like Chuckie too. Some of you might remember that he was also listed for Heisman last year until he got hurt. So, he's already have the respect and publicity that should help. And a win at Tennessee and home with Wake Forest will really up his chances and get the East Coast press involve too. GO AGGIES

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    May 8, 2014 3:27 p.m.

@Stang

Nelson, a "great" QB?!? Man, you are really up in the night. That right there shows the extent of your football knowledge, which is looking pretty limited. Even most BYU fans won't argue that he was mediocre at best, especially by BYU's standards. He doesn't belong in the same sentence as Max Hall.

Hill still has a lot to prove as far as being a QB goes. Right now, he's a one act show until he can consistently prove that he can throw. 14 INTs is an awful lot no matter how you slice it. I would guess he does improve on that this year, but it remains to be seen how much and if it's enough to put him among the BYU greats.

Keeton is special. He does it all. So what if he got hurt twice? It happens, particularly to mobile quarterbacks which there are more and more of these days. There are plenty of great QBs who have been hurt as bad or worse and come back to do great things, and he's done more in two full seasons of playing than most do in three or more.

• Jeremy234 SLC, UT
    May 8, 2014 3:13 p.m.

You guys all realize that BOTH of these teams lost to the U last year right?

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    May 8, 2014 1:19 p.m.

@ CougarSunDevil

"If the ASU vs utah game is broadcasted on another network, it's because of ASU's success, not because of obscure little cousin (not even a brother) utah."

That's hysterical. ASU has three bowl wins in the past 14 years. THREE. Utah has almost as many BCS bowl wins over the same time frame. ASU hasn't done anything notable on the national stage since losing in the Rose Bowl back in 1997. I'm not sure what success people are tuning in to watch; but it certainly isn't ASU's

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    May 8, 2014 1:09 p.m.

Whoever said my comment seems ignorant I have one question, why? He's played one full year of his career. The other two years of the career he has gotten injured and sat on the bench. He hasn't shown he's worth Heisman hype. I've seen Hill play and like I said he's good on his best day. BYU has had two great QB's in recent years. Hall and Nelson and that's it. Keeton has shown less then Hill. Hill is an ok QB against in state schools and Keeton is a fragile QB who can't stay off the turf the entire year.

• Jeremy234 SLC, UT
    May 8, 2014 12:45 p.m.

CougarSunDevil, you do realize that BYU lost to Utah last year right, and ASU was losing going into the fourth quarter?

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    May 8, 2014 10:13 a.m.

What possible purpose do these lists serve except to get people chattering? We're months away from the first snap. Appearing on a list of absolute guesses like this only does one thing for you . . paints an even bigger target on your back. I'm a lifelong Y fan, and I couldn't care less if Hill made the pre-pre-season Hiesman watch list. Watching him win it would be cool, but what are the odds of that? 200-1? Just play well, win a bunch of games, and see what happens. The Heisman's devalued anyway.

Why not put him on the 2015 list too? Too early?

It's just an excuse for fans to do the same tired back and forth again. I actively root for Hill, am generally indifferent towards Keaton but wish him well, and would actually like to see Utah get its stuff together and be what its fans seem to think it already is. Kyle W seems like a good dude, but a few more years of mediocrity and he'll be gone.

Face it -- both teams have hovered somewhere between "mediocre" and "pretty good" for years now. It's been an underwhelming run lately.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 8, 2014 9:52 a.m.

Stang08
    Southern, UT

"Why are either of them on a list? Hill is okay on his best days..."

I think we can agree that Texas was one of his best days, and he was a little bit more than okay that day. And he has improved from there. If his OL has improved, I think he will have quite a few "okay" days this year.

• maq West Valley, Utah
    May 8, 2014 8:29 a.m.

The Heisman is considered the MVP of college football meaning the candidates in this watch list are considered to be, albeit preseason, the most valuable i.e. the best players, in college football. Coming from a Heisman voter, that should tell you a lot. Obviously preseason rankings mean nothing until the season actually begins and it is highly unlikely that either Chuckie or Taysom will win the heisman but regardless they are at least in the minds of the voters. When is the last time a ute won the heisman? Nevermind I just remembered it was never. They have had some great players but the here and now says the better players are in Logan and Provo. The utes have just as much to prove as BYU and until they CONSISTANTLY win against big teams, their membership in the PAC 10 means nothing. Simply stating you are the best means nothing unless you can back it up with wins. All 3 big teams in utah need to realize this.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    May 8, 2014 7:46 a.m.

Stang08

"Why are either of them on a list?"

Your question illustrates a lack of understanding about what it takes to be a Heisman Trophy candidate. Watch and learn and you'll discover why they're on the list.

• hobbes1012003 Kaysville, UT
    May 7, 2014 11:44 p.m.

@Stang08
    Southern, UT

Im not sure I understand your Chuckie Keeton statement. He was on the bench due to a knee injury he suffered in the begining half of the season. Not due to any lack of production on his part. Based on his previous years starting, he most definitely deserves the spotlight, he is a very good QB that performs well on a very consistent basis. Your comment just seems ignorant.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    May 7, 2014 10:49 p.m.

Why are either of them on a list? Hill is okay on his best days and Keetons career sitting on the bench speaks for itself. Not a fan of either team, not a Ute fan just throwing an opinion out there that neither of them has/will live up to the hype. Especially if your name is Chuckie Keeton. Did you seem him last year? If you say yes then you might have been seeing things.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    May 7, 2014 10:39 p.m.

Just another poke in the utah eyeball.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    May 7, 2014 9:49 p.m.

Co ute

"Lots of people turn on a broadcast to see Utah play regardless of the opponent. An absolute statement that 'no one' does anything also defies any reasonable logic."

Attacking the exaggeration instead. Nice smoke and mirrors to deflect the abysmal viewership and attendance at utah games.

"CougarSunDevel"

All you would have had to do is copy and paste to get this right. Perhaps another reason why utes don't belong?

• hobbes1012003 Kaysville, UT
    May 7, 2014 9:24 p.m.

@Tomahawk Red
    North Salt Lake, UT

No wishing needed, Ask anyone outside the state of Utah and they will tell you the same thing, Utah doesnt belong in the PAC. No amount of chest beating or PAC-12 stickers on your car will change that. There are more PAC-12 signs in SLC than there are UofU signs. So which are you more proud of? Your University, or your Conference? Food for thought

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    May 7, 2014 8:25 p.m.

@striker - if BYU and USU are the top teams in the state this year, then at least one of them should have beat the U head to head last year or brought in a higher ranked class of recruits. Fair to say that USU and BYU have the best QB prospects in the state but that doesn't make better than any other TEAM. Beat some quality teams first as making a watchlist, while nice, means absolutely nothing.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    May 7, 2014 8:17 p.m.

Congratulation to both players for making the list. That is an honor.

A couple of the Y fans, as usual make snarky comments, and show their lack of class.

@Samwise - if you really think most Ute fans are more concerned with the Y you should actually talk to a few fans. Most, literally would mean more than half; a statement that can't be supported with any facts or any reasonable logic.

@CougarSunDevel - your statement is just as false. Lots of people turn on a broadcast to see Utah play regardless of the opponent. An absolute statement that 'no one' does anything also defies any reasonable logic.

Talk about 'commenting in a silly fashion' ... and notice I was specific to a couple of Y fans and didn't make outrageous generalizations about all Y fans.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    May 7, 2014 6:42 p.m.

Naval Vet
    Philadelphia, PA

That doesn't sound like a "fact". That sounds like you just made that up. Where had it been reported that the Y draws a Top-3 viewership audience, and why are their bowl games rated so low for a presumed top-3 team? You're gonna need to back that one up.

------------

You're asking Cats to do the impossible. Don't expect a reply.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    May 7, 2014 6:39 p.m.

hobbes1012003
    Kaysville, UT

----------

Sorry but wishing this does not make it so.

You're done.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    May 7, 2014 5:41 p.m.

If Taysom stays healthy, the Cougars go undefeated...

absolutely crushing some of the teams on that schedule.

He will put up numbers that have not been seen in years in Provo.

Heisman consideration in any form/forum is and will continue to be well deserved.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 7, 2014 5:21 p.m.

Cats:

"ESPN considers BYU to be one of the top three teams in the nation in viewership draw. That's a fact."

• Pride Provo, UT
    May 7, 2014 4:42 p.m.

Not trying to bash anyone on the list at all, but I seriously question the legitimacy of this website. Just looking at it makes it seem like a blog, and from what I have read about Chris Huston he made the site for fun and it's all his opinion. He at least is a Heisman voter though.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    May 7, 2014 4:35 p.m.

With how difficult our schedule is this year, it will be difficult for Taysom to win the Heisman. I hope he returns for his senior season because he could be a top 10 NFL pick in 2015.

• CG Orem, UT
    May 7, 2014 4:19 p.m.

Wookie

Regardless of the final outcome, it's fun to be in the mix to start the season.

It's also fun, seeing the consternation that a simple Heisman Watch List can cause on the hill.

Despite all of the PAC 12 chest beating, the Utes just don't measure up to the other programs in the state.

• hobbes1012003 Kaysville, UT
    May 7, 2014 4:15 p.m.

I love hearing PAC-12 Fans (that arent Utah fans) come in and bash the Utes for the PAC-12 chest beating. Even the PAC-12 Alum think that the Utes don't belong with them. Taysom and Chuckie are a long shot for the Heisman but the simple fact that they are on the list says alot. 15 QB's in ALL D1 Football are on the list and 2 of them are from Utah Schools. That fact alone says alot. Congrats to both, and heres to a successful season for both QB's!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    May 7, 2014 4:04 p.m.

It's amazing what ESPN and winning in a new conference will do for a team and stellar players. USU and BYU are tops in the state of Utah right now with exceptional players and a coaching staff that knows how to win. Great to see those names next to the likes of Yeldon, Winston, and Mariota.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    May 7, 2014 3:39 p.m.

All this banter is for naught. Hill will not win the heisman. BYU schedule is weak. Enough said.

Go UTES.

Good Luck Chuckie. Stay healthy!!

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    May 7, 2014 2:55 p.m.

Chris, I thought you told us Jordan Wynn was on the list this year. Or was it Jon Hays? Maybe it was Travis Wilson. I'm pretty sure you marked something down for us about the Utah QB stable...none of which are listed anywhere as ones to watch for anything.

• Challenge to the Foe Fargo, ND
    May 7, 2014 2:51 p.m.

Both Chuckie and Taysom are very accomplished and skilled quarterbacks. Although I don't think either will be a serious contender for the Heisman this year, each is still really fun to watch. If Taysom's passing ability dramatically improves from last year, not only will BYU win a bunch of games, but Taysom will build a Mariota type profile that will greatly benefit him going into his senior season.

Go Cougars!

• JC from CT SOUTHBURY, CT
    May 7, 2014 2:27 p.m.

I love BYU and Taysom Hill, but I think Hill would agree with me when I say that Hill isn't coming off a successful season. A productive season, perhaps, but the season, in terms of wins and losses and the bowl result, wasn't all that successful. I hope this season is much more successful than last!

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    May 7, 2014 2:11 p.m.

ekute

"I see it as a publicity ploy by ESPN, since their[sic] obligated to broadcast some of BYU's games."

I see your opinion as a case of bitter disappointment and denial.

The list was published by CBS Sports, but the author of the list is:

Chris Huston, A.K.A. 'The Heisman Pundit', a Heisman voter and the creator and publisher of Heismanpundit dotcom, a site dedicated to analysis of the Heisman Trophy and college football. Dubbed "the foremost authority on the Heisman" by Sports Illustrated, HP is regularly quoted or cited during football season in newspapers across the country. He is also a regular contributor on sports talk radio and television.

• Chamberlain Salt Lake City, UT
    May 7, 2014 2:04 p.m.

Russell Spencer

"The list (linked to in the article) I read had the contenders in alphabetical order. Do you know of some other list that actually ranks them?"

Athlon Sports listed their early 2014 Heisman Trophy race Top 25 in this order

Jeremy Langford, RB, Michigan State
    Mike Davis, RB, South Carolina
    Taysom Hill, QB, BYU

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    May 7, 2014 1:54 p.m.

Dear Ekute:

ESPN is HAPPY to broadcast BYU's games because ESPN considers BYU to be one of the top three teams in the nation in viewership draw. That's a fact. BYU draws huge viewership and that's why ESPN has a contract with them. In addition, BYUtv has state-of-the-art facilities that are better than ESPN's. It's a great partnership that ESPN is very happy with.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    May 7, 2014 1:52 p.m.

"I see it as a publicity ploy by espn, since their [sic] obligated to broadcast some of byu's games."

The only obligation is the PAC-12 Network's obligation to broadcast Utah games. No one turns on a PAC-12 Network game to watch a Utah game. They watch their favorite team play on the PAC-12 network to beat the "I'm a Utah fan" utes just like I go to it to watch ASU beat utah when they play in...wherever the utah "football team" plays it's game. If the ASU vs utah game is broadcasted on another network, it's because of ASU's success, not because of obscure little cousin (not even a brother) utah.

• Russell Spencer Boise, ID
    May 7, 2014 1:39 p.m.

@ Kralon,

The list (linked to in the article) I read had the contenders in alphabetical order. Do you know of some other list that actually ranks them? I think calling anybody a "dark horse" or a "favorite" (with the exception of Jameis Winston, because he won last year) seems a little premature before FALL CAMP has even begun.

• Blind Zebra Ogden, UT
    May 7, 2014 1:38 p.m.

@ ekute

Which side of your mouth you talking out of, in one post you write that only utah and utah state get exposure.

Then you just wrote ESPN is obligated? Well isn't being on ESPN exposure for BYU?

Huh, i'm confused. Please claify.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 7, 2014 1:25 p.m.

patriot,
    I see it as a publicity ploy by espn, since their obligated to broadcast some of byu's games.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 7, 2014 1:20 p.m.

patriot
    "I have never heard his name even mentioned on any watch list. First of all he plays for a mediocare program..."

Then U need to step outside the crimson bubble once in awhile and see the real world.

If BYU has been mediocre, then Utah has been downright pathetic during the Independent/PAC 12 era

Bowls
    BYU 3
    Utah 1

Winning Seasons
    BYU 3
    Utah 1

Overall Record
    26-13 (67%)
    18-19 (49%)

btw, Taysom Hill's passing has improved dramatically since his Sophomore season as has his offensive line and BYU's overall offense. That will become very clear as the 2014 season unfolds, which is why Taysom is already being included on a pre-season Heisman Trophy watch list.

You can't even blame it on BYU's partnership with ESPN this time, because the list was compiled by a rival network.

• CougOrUte..Naah Nibley, UT
    May 7, 2014 12:41 p.m.

I love to watch Chuckie play. We will know if he belongs on this list right out of the gate when the Ags play Tennessee first and later Wake Forest. I think he will show us he does belong. And when you add BYU and Boise State to the mix those are some great opportunities to show his talent. Haven't seen Taysom play much, just a few brief glimpses, but I hope he does well, except when he plays the Aggies. I have a feeling Taysom will show he belongs on the list also. From what I have seen he is an incredible athlete. If the Cougar coaching staff can now do their job and turn him into an incredible quarterback, that would be great. Best of luck to the Aggies, the Cougars, and the Utes. Utes have a tough row to hoe, I hope they move forward instead of backwards this year. I might be crazy, but I am predicting a 6 and 6 year for the Utes, but it could easily be a 2 and 10 year also.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 7, 2014 12:38 p.m.

Taysom Hill? Say what? I have never heard his name even mentioned on any watch list. First of all he plays for a mediocare program and second he is a run first pass second QB who struggles to throw the ball with any degree of acuracy.

• Rose Bowl call yet? Salt Lake City, UT
    May 7, 2014 12:13 p.m.

2013

"The only time Taysom has done anything noteworthy with his arm is when he's been playing a nobody."

Yet, Taysom is included on the 25-man Heisman watch list, while Utah is once again MIA when it comes to Heisman Trophy candidates.

Unfortunately for U, none of jealous whining or conference affiliation chest beating is going to change the fact that nobody outside of the crimson bubble cares much about Utah football.

btw, CBS Sports also listed BYU in their Post Spring Top 25... where were U?

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    May 7, 2014 12:07 p.m.

Can’t figure out why they left Wilson off the list because we are in a prestegous conference and Hill and Chuckie aren’t and that’s not fair for them to leave Wilson off because of that.

Go Utes to onward and upward!

• Samwise Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 7, 2014 11:48 a.m.

Congrats to both on making this list, they are both really good quarterbacks with the potential to become great. I doubt either really has much of a chance at the Heisman this year, but both are deserving to be on a watch list. Good luck to both this year.

On a different note, I find it interesting that an article about the two best quarterbacks in the state, one from BYU and one from Utah State, has about half of the comments from Ute fans commenting in a silly fashion against BYU. It is not surprising, though, since most Ute fans are BYU haters first and Utah fans second.

• cougar76 Raleigh, NC
    May 7, 2014 11:34 a.m.

Chuckie is a senior so this is his last shot. Stay healthy and good luck. Taysom is a Junior and, though its nice to be mentioned, he is not a serious threat to the big names on this list. But, this year will determine if he is a serious contender next year. If the OL improves, a lot, and his passing improves, a lot, his chances will improve, a lot. More importantly, BYU will have a chance of winning the games against the power conference schools and its bowl game. But, without a passing threat, we will lose more big games where the DL shuts down the RB's and our only offense is 31 QB rushes.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    May 7, 2014 11:33 a.m.

Old But Not Stupid

"A pig with lipstick is still a pig." Your h8tred is duly acknowledged.

The Utah football program is a truly classy organization that the state of Utah can be very proud of. Kyle Whittingham is a man deserving the respect of all fair-minded fans.

A Utah Man am I!

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    May 7, 2014 11:31 a.m.

His record against power conference teams is not very good. He may get revenge on Virginia this year, a team that didn't beat a single other division 1 team all last year, but its likely his numbers will be inflated due to the WAC-like schedule byu has

Best home games? Utah state and UNLV.

LOL

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    May 7, 2014 11:10 a.m.

ekute
    Layton, UT

"Good luck to Chuckie and the Aggies. They along with Utes bring exposure to intercollegiate athletics in the state."

LOL....your h8tred is duly acknowledged. The only exposure the Ute football has provided is their break out into the lowest tier of the PAtheiC-12. "A pig with lipstick is still a pig."

• 08Stang Southern, UT
    May 7, 2014 10:58 a.m.

I really like Chuckie Keeton. He is a lot of fun to watch. I believe he is one of the better quarterbacks I've ever seen play the college game. I hope his Senior year is a great success!

Go Aggies!!

• UU Provo, UT
    May 7, 2014 10:56 a.m.

Very good QBs. Will be interesting to see if Taysom can continue to improve his completion percentage.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    May 7, 2014 10:37 a.m.

Having a QB lead the team in rushing is as much an indictment against coaches as it would be if the punter led a team in tackles. I hope the BYU coaches how to figure out a way to make running backs lead the team in rushing. Please BYU coaches, improve your performance.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 7, 2014 10:32 a.m.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    May 7, 2014 10:28 a.m.

25 people on the list, so it is a big list!

For Taysom to have a chance BYU's OL will need to be much better this year!

It would be cool to see someone from Utah win, but both Chuckie and Taysom are currently so far down the list they aren't even "dark horses".

Go Cougars, Aggies and Utes!

• Tajemnica West Valley, Utah
    May 7, 2014 10:27 a.m.

I like both of them as people and as players. Wish them both the best of luck. Chuckie especially could be a top 10 quarterback if he stays healthy. Taysom could also be a top 10 quarterback if his accuracy improves.