University of Utah president invites suggestions on 'Utah Man' fight song lyrics

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    May 15, 2014 4:26 p.m.

Just change the word "man" to "fan"

And replace "coeds are the fairest", to .... "students are the smartest"

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    May 10, 2014 11:50 a.m.

Nothing needs to be changed. Leave it alone!

• scott Alpine, UT
    May 10, 2014 12:42 a.m.

A Utah member of mankind am I?

The Neil Armstrong quote and the Utah Man fight song aren't even roughly equivalent in context or meaning.

I've never heard anyone even hint that Armstrong's quote was sexist.

I have heard and read many pundits and sports fans who did think that Utah's fight song was absolutely sexist, including many Utah alumni and students who have been debating the issue since at least the mid-80's.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    May 9, 2014 11:58 a.m.

"In no way can his statement be characterized as sexist."

Thank you! You just made my point!

The PC police are saying that the word "man" in not "inclusive" of women. According to the dictionary and throughout the history of the English language (including the speech by Armstrong BTW), the word man IS us used to be inclusive of both sexes. Thus the reason Armstrong used the term, that and "mankind". It was not a sexist term when Armstrong used it, and in accordance with the English language in general. So why then is it suddenly sexist and offensive now?

"Since when does the majority 'not being offended' make something that is offensive to some, inoffensive?"

Make a list of everything that people are offended by so that we can all never offend anyone. Willing to go first? People often choose to be offended by something. We can NEVER not offend everyone. If the song offends you, don't sing it. The byU fans expressing false outrage on this subject (Truth Machine) will never sing the song anyway. We'll start with the songs people listen to - any offensive lyrics there?

A Utah Man am I

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    May 9, 2014 10:48 a.m.

Liberal Ted

It's not a "football" fight song. I thought liberals were supposed be "progressive" when it came to things like offending minorities.

Apparently, that's not the case at Utah where women and minorities are characterized as objects in Utah's fight song and nickname.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2014 10:07 a.m.

If we are going to be PC then let's do it. You can't pick and choose how you're going to be PC. It's also not PC to be intoxicated in public. Give everyone a breathalyzer test before entering. Cut off the alcohol that is smuggled in, but, allow people to smoke pot because for some reason that's okay.

It's also offensive that a bunch of white liberals keep telling the Ute Tribe what they should be offended about. Liberals should be banned from telling people what should be offensive and not.

The term "Runnin Utes" is offensive to those who can't walk or can't run. So remove the term "Runnin".

Now that we have solved all of these issues, the Utopian society will spring forth and everyone will dance around in merriment.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2014 10:05 a.m.

Maybe the fight song leaves out all of the female football players...oh wait a minute there isn't one. For such a progressive conference why not make half of the teams female? There also shouldn't be winners or losers. Everyone should be given a National Championship Trophy at the end of the season. Every school should redistribute their ticket sales.

The other repressive thing at these games, are having Class Box Seats. You have the wealthy, elite and left wing nut jobs in the box seats. While the peasants are left to fend for themselves. How can this be in a progressive school?! Forget the fight song, look at the inequality with the seats. The only logical solution is to build a box seat for everyone, and keep the prices exactly the same, and then take money from the left wing people to cover the lost revenue.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    May 9, 2014 9:11 a.m.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed.

Since when does the majority "not being offended" make something that is offensive to some, inoffensive?

btw, your twisted logic with the Neil Armstrong quote is laughable. In no way can his statement be characterized as sexist.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    May 8, 2014 11:45 a.m.

@Truth Machine:

"It's not funny, but sad, that so many continue to defend such sexist, insensitive lyrics."

That is one person's opinion, which greatly differs from the majority of women students and alumni who are the people that are supposed to be offended by the lyrics.

I just have one more question - are you equally saddened and outraged by the "sexist and insensitive" statement by Neil Armstrong:"One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"?

Just wondering where we draw the line for political correctness and our moral compass.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    May 8, 2014 11:27 a.m.

"Leave it the same and my donations will increase and continue." Good one Chris B.....wink, wink, right?

Since we're throwing out unfounded statistics I say almost 98% of u world says "Who cares about our fight song? When are we going to do something about the offensive results of our football team annually winding up in the prestigious pac's basement???"

• CAPT Tay Littleton, CO
    May 8, 2014 10:46 a.m.

get rid of swoop and bring back the indian, or not, just get rid of the bird...

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    May 8, 2014 8:00 a.m.

How about "I am a Utah coed" and "Our men are the fairest,"

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    May 7, 2014 6:21 p.m.

"I have attended, thousands and thousands of ticket buying women who proudly sing Utah Man. The vast majority of women, both current students and alumni, do not support the change."

That's pure speculation on your part.

Without interviewing/surveying each of those thousands and thousands of women, you couldn't possibly know what each of them personally thinks about the song.

Just because they show their support for the Utes by singing the song doesn't mean that they like the song or would object to it being changed to something more appropriate to the modern world.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    May 7, 2014 5:42 p.m.

@Utah bear:

I am too a proud football season ticket holder and have been for years. I would love to be able to go to other events, but my profession and distance from SLC prevent me from holding season tickets to basketball, etc.

That being said, I have seen at every game I have attended, thousands and thousands of ticket buying women who proudly sing Utah Man. The vast majority of women, both current students and alumni, do not support the change. And if the words are officially changed (contrary to popular demand) they will continue to sing the words "Utah Man" louder than ever. I think this issue was best described as "a solution in search of a problem". I can say with certainty that you never once said - this song is offensive to women - before the change was brought up by this year's student council.

It's funny to me that the voice of reason in this whole thread is CougsNDawgs - great post my friend!

A Utah Man am I!

Go Utes!!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    May 7, 2014 5:28 p.m.

Blue AZ Cougar
    Chandler, AZ

"Such an annoying fight song....

And yes, I am biased."

NO! You could have fooled me!

Leave the song alone. The ancient lyrics are it's charm. Every generation for decades have known that the lyrics are outdated, and nobody cares - it's tradition. The fact that it annoys so many byU fans only makes it that much better! I especially love the song when President Monson sings it in public.

Utah Man, sir, a Utah Man am I
    A Utah Man, sir, and will be 'til I die

Go Utes!!

And yes - I am biased too!

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 7, 2014 4:50 p.m.

Enter the modern era by changing the fight song and dropping the Ute name. Having attended the U for four years I always thought they were just pain bad. They dropped the Runnin' Redskins name several decades ago and more changes are in order.

• agb Layton, UT
    May 7, 2014 2:51 p.m.

Perhaps "Utah man" could be changed to "girslie state cheerleader?"

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    May 7, 2014 1:43 p.m.

All things considered, I'd rather be on the trail to fame and glory than to be in a jolly gang.

If Utah fans were smart, they'd come up with something that they'd all be proud to sing rather than clinging desperately to the antiquated lyrics of a drinking song.

After witnessing Utah's pre-game tail-gate party on many occassions, however, it's easy to see why so many think the song is perfectly fine.

• Bifftacular Spanish Fork, Ut
    May 7, 2014 1:05 p.m.

One Ute student leader to another: "What you going to do today? Organize some students to do a service project or perhaps initiate a charitable fund raiser?" "Nah. I"m going to go through the school fight song and see if I can find something that offends me. Then I'm going to make a big stink about it so people will actually remember me someday". First student: "Cool".

• MAYHEM MIKE Salt Lake City, UT
    May 7, 2014 9:57 a.m.

Aside from its uninspired lyrics, the Utah "fight song," in my humble opinion, is one of the most annoying melodies ever composed. Any self-respecting composer would quickly relegate this song to a collection of rowdy vocal eruptions fit only to be emitted by inebriated tankard-swinging patrons of a German pub!

Now, BYU's "Rise and Shout!" There's a song worthy of emulation!

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    May 7, 2014 7:06 a.m.

As Shakespeare so eloquently stated, "much ado about nothing"!

• 4 in a row! Ogden, UT
    May 7, 2014 6:43 a.m.

The majority says, "Leave it alone."

The minority says, "blah, blah, blah, or lets make it so its PC for everyone."

Leave it the same and my donations will increase and continue. Keep trying to appease all the liberal heads or the minority and I’ll adopt a new University.

Utah Alumni

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 7, 2014 6:36 a.m.

Until the song embraces 'girlse' it's just going to continue being offensive.

How about just humming that catchy melody and getting rid of the lyrics altogether?

Would that work?

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    May 7, 2014 3:25 a.m.

@ Killarney

Well we wouldn't want to Norm Maves, Jr. to be unhappy, now would we?

• Pac 12 Fever Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2014 11:35 p.m.

Maybe it could include lyrics that wil help us at least be in the hunt for a conference title. I am sick of being the PAC 12's punching bag and doormat.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 6, 2014 10:57 p.m.

The guys that wrote it are all dead...pretty sure they don't care. Besides it's been changed from their original version already.

"It's stupid, stolen..."
    That describes at least half the fight songs in CFB, including my Dawgs using the battle hymn of the republic tune. It's all meant in good fun. If it offends some people, I don't understand why...fairest? How could that be offensive...Utah man...well yeah that's sexist. I just think we've become a society that is far too sensitive and far too easily offended. A great man once said: "A person who takes offense where it wasn't intended is a fool. A person who takes offense where it was intended is a greater fool".

Today's America needs to grow thicker skin and toughen up a little. Every little squabble where someone is offended is getting old. Anger or offense at blatant sexism & racism is understandable, but every little nit picky thing? C'mon folks...the greatest generation is shaking it's collective head at us, both men & women.

• killarney Lincoln Park, IL
    May 6, 2014 10:21 p.m.

Norm Maves, Jr. of the Daily Oregonian called "Utah Man" the second-worst college fight song, saying, "It’s stupid, stolen and sexist."

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    May 6, 2014 10:16 p.m.

The Bleak-- It may have been written by beer drinking football players, but was adopted as a university wide "fight song" to be used at all sorts of sporting events. In which case, I would think it should reflect a broader base. The guys who wrote it are probably both amazed and embarrassed such a corny thing got such wide acceptance in the first place.

• UtahUte91 Sandy, UT
    May 6, 2014 10:11 p.m.

Utah bear

"... it is time to update the song. For the last 35 years it has grated on women with no gain for the aggravation."

Couldn't agree more.

Even though they don't speak out for fear of being mocked by other fans, many women, including my wife, are offended by the song. Why are some fans quibbling over lyrics that many of them don't even sing.

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2014 9:43 p.m.

This is so much a First World problem. Is there nothing else to occupy the minds and pens of people on the Hill?

Catchy tune, never could make out the words.

Good luck with your quest. I enjoy reading about the angst and frustration and unintended humor of it all, especially on slow news days.

• Utah bear Sandy, UT
    May 6, 2014 7:31 p.m.

I wonder how many who say "leave the song alone" have ever actually been to a game. I have been to every home game for 35 years, give to the Crimson Club (and other departments at the U), attend away and bowl games and make nearly all home basketball games. I also graduated from the U in 1971. I am vested in the U. That said, it is time to update the song. For the last 35 years it has grated on women with no gain for the aggravation. We have updated the name from Running' Redskins to Utes without the world ending and added Swoop --- now it is time to broaden our reach with the song. From a marketing viewpoint, why do we want to exclude ticket-buying women from our growing fan base to say nothing of better supporting all of our wonderful female athletes and their fans?

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 6, 2014 7:24 p.m.

I was going to comment about the general corniness of all fight songs but Gdog beat me to it...well done.

This whole thing is just one more step of being in a "progressive league". Yep...the most liberal progressive league of them all and this is the price for your inclusion, bowing to the PC idol. Soon you will have all your traditions taken from you in the same "backdoor" fashion the fight song was taken. And believe me when I say, it doesn't matter that you have a contract with any tribe. The PC police aren't about dialogue or contracts, they're about protected all the "could be" or "should be" offended folks. They don't care about reality of who is actually offended. So while you're thinking up different lyrics you might want to think of a new mascot too...it's coming, why not "be prepared". Oops, am I allowed to quote the scout motto?

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    May 6, 2014 5:01 p.m.

@Blue AZ Cougar

What, you don't find 'Rise and Shout' to be equally as corny (Mickey Mouse)? Fight songs are just that way unless it's your school's fight song. It's our collegiate loyalty that sees us adopt affinity for school fight songs. As a Ute, I am irritated that our president is so sketchy as to sabotage a big part of the University's identity with his own single minded agenda by sneaking change through the secret backdoor so to speak (avoiding collaboration with Utes everywhere). This is being done despite OVERWHELMING opposition to changing the fight song by alumni, boosters, students and fans. The president is full of the monarchy of political correctness. It disgusts me.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 6, 2014 4:43 p.m.

Here's my suggestion, President Pershing: LEAVE. IT. ALONE.

@Blue AZ Cougar
    "Such an annoying fight song...."

....says the guy whose fight song is called "Cry and Pout".

• Blue AZ Cougar Chandler, AZ
    May 6, 2014 4:28 p.m.

"Can we begin a movement to eliminate the name "Fight Song" and replace it with a "School Hymn"?"

Seriously? Perhaps we should have tea and crumpets at halftime too. And we should encourage the football players to share the ball more with the other team.

• Eliot Genola, UT
    May 6, 2014 4:12 p.m.

A school hymn you say. How about "In Our Lovely Deseret"? It has kind of a catchy tune and may remind students of their university's heritage.

• TheBleak West Jordan, UT
    May 6, 2014 3:33 p.m.

The song was written by the football coach and his players to represent themselves; of course it has a male perspective when it was written by males.

As mentioned in a different post, I think they should make it the football fight song and create a new one for the school. If the ladies have a problem with that, then start playing D1 football and then make a claim for inclusion amongst football players. Until then, this is a non issue.

• Blue AZ Cougar Chandler, AZ
    May 6, 2014 3:31 p.m.

Listening to the song, I keep hearing the popular Disney song "M-I-C-K-E-Y, M-O-U-S-E". Such an annoying fight song....

And yes, I am biased.

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    May 6, 2014 3:29 p.m.

Start over on the lyrics from scratch, including the title of the song. It is all outdated, and if you aren't offended, then you still must be embarrassed to be in a progressive conference with such a regressive fight song.

• WhyAmIhere? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 6, 2014 3:27 p.m.

I don't care about the lyrics of the song but the title is offensive to me. As a liberal Democrat I do not support war or aggression. The title is supportive of aggressive behavior and should be changed. Can we begin a movement to eliminate the name "Fight Song" and replace it with a "School Hymn"?

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    May 6, 2014 3:06 p.m.

Oh the One World Order of political incorrectness. Soon enough, everything will be offensive and language lost to where we will need translators for previous generations. I am a Utah person and I lived across the green until the the yellow was offended. Now I just live on earth. Soon Mars will be offended. I don't think we can hear the fight song 'ringing through the mountains' anymore because the trumpets are offended.

• Samwise Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 6, 2014 2:41 p.m.

It is quite absurd (and funny) that the U is changing their fight song for PC reasons, but as a BYU fan and friend of many Utah fans, let me make a friendly suggestion for one of the changes that should be made, along with whatever pointless changes are made. This line, which was previously removed, should be put back in the fight song along with whatever other changes are made: "We drink our stein of lager and we smoke our big cigars."

I realize that this line is non inclusive toward LDS members, but I am sure the liberal PC police at the U and in the Pac 12 are not worried about potentially upsetting Mormons. We are one group (along with most other Christian denominations) that it is okay to be discriminatory against, at least according to the liberal PC police. Also, as a Mormon, I would not find that line offensive if it was in the U's fight song anyway, even if I was a U of U student. Why? Because I am not looking for a reason to be offended like so many others are.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    May 6, 2014 2:38 p.m.

I think it's more offensive to be referred to as a "co-ed" than to be considered the "fairest". The term "co-ed" has always applied to women only and usually not as the most favorable term. To me the fact that the whole song is written from a male perspective is what they're trying to get away from. Some of the best athletic teams at the U are the women's sports which seems odd for them. Why not say "our students are the ________-est"? Pick whatever adjective you like but make it about both males and females. "Fan" works great especially since it rhymes and makes more sense. This certainly isn't the first time it's been changed so these seem reasonable if people insist on keeping it.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 6, 2014 2:14 p.m.

Leave it alone!

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2014 2:04 p.m.

"Brightest" is discriminatory. What about all of the other schools that aren't so bright? How does that make them feel?

That is in the same line as stating "God Bless America" or "The United States is exceptional"....

If people are offended by Utah man and Fairest then they are going to be offended no matter what word is used.

Why not just do away with the song altogether. The same narrow minded people want to stop singing the national anthem because it's "too war like". Maybe these people shouldn't be going to sporting events where teams battle it out until there is a winner and loser. If they're having that hard of a time dealing with these minor things at a game, quite frankly they're never going to last in the "real world" unless if obummer makes it the liberal cesspool that they dream of. Their own private utopia where the wealthy elite tell us peasants what is and isn't good for us.