Comments about ‘Child’s death puts focus on dangers of window-blind cords’

Return to article »

Published: Monday, May 5 2014 7:01 p.m. MDT

Comments
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Most recommended
Lasvegaspam
Henderson, NV

My 2-year-old granddaughter was almost strangled like this when I was babysitting for her in, of all places, BYU's married student housing! I filed a complaint with them showing them the marks on her neck, hoping they would have the good sense to change out ALL the blinds to cordless, or at least install cleats, around which hanging cords could be wound. ANY blind with a cord is a danger in a home with small children. My heart goes out to these families who have lost their beautiful children in such a preventable way!

concretebo
Sandy, UT

Parents watch your children !! If you can not see them worry , it only takes a few minutes or one moment for these terrible things to happen. My prayers to you who have lost children to this type of accident.

cherilg
Sandy, UT

There is inexpensive hardware available to install on the window trim so that you can wrap a cord around it. Unfortunately, not everyone knows it exists, or that you can buy it locally (Home Depot, Lowes, etc). I wish that blind manufacturers would include it their product, but if they won't do that, to at least mention it on their packaging. I ran across it when my kids were small, so always installed it on the notoriously always used window covering in my apartments. Now my kids are grown, but seeing its a risk hazard for animals, especially cats, its' still a good idea. A relative if mone just visited the ER last week because her cat was strangling on the cord. She had 16 bites all over her arm trying to free her feline.

CA Granny
PETALUMA, CA

I wish LDS parents of active toddlers and small children would have the same concern about allowing their children to play on the stages of older chapels where there are big curtains with lots of ropes. Years ago, an unsupervised child got tangled in those ropes and also lost her life. I'm glad newer buildings don't have those stages anymore, but it would help if people didn't allow their kids to roam freely in the cultural hall that does have a stage.

gnstoo
Kearns, UT

We always just made a habit of tucking the loose cord back up near the top of the blinds. It doesn't have to come out be State or Federal edict, just make people aware of potential hazards. You can even show a 2 year old that particular danger like you would warn them about a hot stove. Too sad, hopefully more people will be aware of this particular danger and protect theirs. I can't imagine the grief these folks are going through... my heart goes out to them.

beatrizclarke
Vancouver, 00

My friend just lost her toddler this weekend from the same tragedy. I just can't comprehend this could happen, we are all still in shock. Came across this article to try to understand how those blinds are still allowed. We need to change this law in Canada, this should not be allowed. We will take action to change this in Canada.

to comment

DeseretNews.com encourages a civil dialogue among its readers. We welcome your thoughtful comments.
About comments