De'Ondre Wesley shares picture of potential BYU football 2014 alternate uniforms

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    May 7, 2014 1:27 p.m.

Big 12 Call Yet?

Don't know if you are "mixing your metaphors" or what, but your argument is very confused. Please consider:

"The difference between Utah and byu at the moment is at least Utah has a chance to do something special, unlike byu." In football the probability for Ute specialness is 0.001. I concede in basketball the probability may be more on the 0.20 or 0.25.

"....Utah actually has proven multiple times lately we can go undefeated and have special seasons."

Unlike my Bruins, you've never gone undefeated in basketball, so I assume you're braggin' about football. Those "multiple times" must refer to the two times in the last 10 years or so where the Utes won a bcs bowl. Now, being from Cali I can't say for sure, but weren't ya'll in the WAC or the MWC at the time? You should realize that in TODAY's playoff system you would not have been invited to the bowls that you were!

"Being essentially a WAC team like byu is, you [you should have said 'they'] don't even have a chance at anything."

Truth be told, as a practical matter, neither does the U...

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 7, 2014 1:00 p.m.

"Because they are scared to come to Provo and play the Y."

4 in a row and 9 of 12 would suggest otherwise.

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    May 7, 2014 11:44 a.m.

Old But not stupid,

The difference between Utah and byu at the moment is at least Utah has a chance to do something special, unlike byu. It's sort of like byu fans saying their 1 and done "record" in the big dance proves at least byu "has a chance"

Unlike byu's 1 and done's though, Utah actually has proven multiple times lately we can go undefeated and have special seasons.

Being essentially a WAC team like byu is, you don't even have a chance at anything.

Even if byu did go undefeated(LOL you wont) the playoffs wouldn't even give byu a look

A 2 loss SEC or 2 loss Prestigious pac 12 would be taken over an undefeated(LOL) byU team

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    May 7, 2014 11:17 a.m.

Naval Vet
    "Oh well. Have fun playing small ball."

And I suppose you'll have fun getting slaughters 70% of the time in the PAC-12.

That ain't changing anytime soon. So enjoy the prestige and your annual Couch Bowls.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 7, 2014 10:19 a.m.

2013, Because they are scared to come to Provo and play the Y. Good luck in the Pac 12 this year when the Utes will win all of three games. How's that schedule looking to you now?

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 7, 2014 10:17 a.m.

Just keep it simple and wear the old traditional Royal Blue. Save some money on the uniforms and helmets.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    May 7, 2014 9:51 a.m.

Non BYU fan here.

I was a fan of alternate uniforms until Nike decided that some schools should have three or more. Just look across the country. One is enough. With perhaps a throwback jersey as well.

I am more interested in alternate helmets. Saw one idea floating around of a BYU - white with mountain peaks and cougar. It looked pretty cool.

• UncleArtie Brigham City, UT
    May 7, 2014 9:38 a.m.

Alternate uniforms will make home games more interesting? Hmmm...how does that happen? I think winning is more interesting; but maybe I am out of step. Do the great traditional programs change their uniforms every home game or every season; I'm talking about USC, ND, Texas, Alabama. etc. I haven't seen it but maybe I'm missing something. Their message seems to be: we have arrived and all you wannabes have not.
    Have we been caught up in the fad of following the leader of the wannabe pack, Oregon? Their chief benefactor wants us all to buy his athletic cloths; that's his answer to the identity crisis suffered by all wannabes. What is the message for Cougar fans? Buy more stuff? Every man should have 25 suits and every woman 100 pairs of shoes and 50 purses; maybe we should even advocate tattoos.
    I'd write more but as you can see, I'm just a wannabe. Besides, I have to hurry off to my appointment with my life coach, he is going to help me chase the next fad.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    May 6, 2014 7:42 p.m.

Pretty sad when the color of the uniform is more exciting than the game.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 6, 2014 7:07 p.m.

I personally love the all black unis. Playing in all black with Enter Sandman, or For Whom the Bell Tolls, or any Metallica for that matter blaring over the speaker system...that's enough to get any athletes blood going. Espn did a piece on VT and their stadium literally rocking to Enter Sandman, and there were several players from opposing teams that said if you're not used to it, it can be unnerving. BYU needs to go back to the Metallica entrance...I know it's old school but what else are you going to use? Linkin Park, Katy Perry? C'mon, I love LP but nothing gets a stadium revving like Enter Sandman. Play it right before the opening prayer! Lol

To people talking about fashion...are you serious? This is football not Americas Next Top Designer! Love Royal Blue...but I like the Navy Blue also...it's my Cougs playing on the gridiron. They could be wearing purple tops with orange bottoms and lime green socks for all I care...it's football, it's BYU, that covers it for me.

• Ballplayer Spanish Fork, UT
    May 6, 2014 4:31 p.m.

I've been a fan since I can remember, and expect to stay that way until I die. But as a life-long loyal fan, I'm not interested in gimmicks like black outs and white outs. I wan't a quality team with a quality schedule. Let's go Cougars. Rise and Shout.

• TheBleak West Jordan, UT
    May 6, 2014 4:26 p.m.

To answer the age old question why Utah fans comment on BYU articles and why BYU fans comment on Utah articles is this....

It is a rivalry.

What good is a rivalry without trash talk?

If you do not like it, stop reading the comments and you will never know they exist.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2014 3:37 p.m.

Dear Big Burley Man.
    My grammar is correct. You misread what I wrote. Please avoid all caps (e.g in names)! But yeah, I done graduated. With multiple college degrees. And I ain't talking an associates degree.

• portlander Arlington, WA
    May 6, 2014 3:32 p.m.

So...just asking a question here: Anyone who doesn't actually live in Utah is a "troll"? Because I am a really big Cougar fan, also an OSU Beaver fan, Stanford fan, Duke fan, etc.

Okay...so back to the uni's, I love the solid royal colors. Done right, it can look really sharp. I also like solid white with the right accents, foil colors and so forth. One uni that I wish they'd do instead of all black is a solid navy/midnight. Mirror midnight blue helmets with mirror silver numbers, cougar or "BYU" on the sides. Oh yeah! Close enough to being black, but unique and different.

Lastly to me, two tone uni's look better when the colors run vertically rather than being different on the top and the bottom. Vertical colors look more streamlined and not so "old school". And this is from an old guy to boot! I grew up with those "old school" uni's and got sick of most of them. I mean, anything can work if it done right, but there is such a lack of creativity, and then there are those that fall flat, like Oregon or Maryland. Puhleeese!

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    May 6, 2014 3:30 p.m.

Why do we do this? BYU's colors are blue and white, period.

Make home games white pants with blue jerseys (I prefer the royal blue, personally) and away games blue pants with white jerseys.

It worked for Lavell....

(And, BTW, you don't see Notre Dame or other schools with tons of history changing uniforms constantly, just to pander to a bunch of 17 yr old recruits. You don't like BYU's uniforms? Tough. Still don't liek them? Don't play here.)

• oldalum IDAHO FALLS, ID
    May 6, 2014 2:37 p.m.

ROYAL BLUE is NOT BYU’s color either!!! Royal blue now belongs to Air Force, and good riddance! Royal Blue is a fashion nightmare. Watch the dip in clothing sales if BYU ever switches back to Royal Blue permanently. Who do you see walking around town that is wearing Royal Blue? Answer: NOBODY!

• Unbiased1979 dallas, TX
    May 6, 2014 1:02 p.m.

I don't normally comment, but to Ute fans commenting on a BYU UNIFORM post: Obsessed much? I don't mean to judge, but man it seems like you are obsessed with what you claim is the little brother down south. It's really getting embarrassing.

• maq West Valley, Utah
    May 6, 2014 12:06 p.m.

@ Uncle Rico
    I don't know where your fashion advice comes from but navy matches almost anything. That's one of the reasons jeans are so popular. Four people sitting around me right now are wearing navy.

On a side not, I like the alternate uniforms. First off, the main focus with these sort of things are the student body at a given school and it is extremely popular to have alternate/special uniforms with the students. Secondly, it gives the rest of the fans something to look forward to. Taking in to account this years weak SOS, its something to get excited about even if the teams we play aren't too exciting. Plus, I think they look good. Lastly, its a way to sell more merchandise. If you don't have BYU gear in black, for example, people go out and buy black for the blackout game. Good for business, good for moral. win win.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    May 6, 2014 10:13 a.m.

Navy Blue is horrible to wear because it doesn't match anything, that one of the reasons BYU moves away from it. I don't know anyone who would wear it, unless you live in Idaho.

• 311ute Reno, NV
    May 6, 2014 10:01 a.m.

It must be May, we are reading and commenting on articles regarding uniforms. Is it August yet?
    Regardless, nice looking uni's cougars.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    May 6, 2014 9:24 a.m.

I'm stoked for our home schedule, just like every year. Gives me 6 opportunities to watch my boys in blue and white (or all white, or all black, or all royal blue) play. In the words of Troy Hinds "It's the school that matters, not who the school plays."

It also gives me 6 more opportunities to watch the insecure trolls come out and try to take shots at BYU through their schedule, which is hilarious! Always makes my day. I love watching BYU play, whether it's Texas or Savannah St, or some team in between. So the 2014 season can't come soon enough!

Also, one question to the trolls on here: Are you a Utah "man", or "fan"? Seems like there's some confusion with that up on the hill. I think the problem would be solved if they just changed it to "BYU hater"...seems to be most apropos for the vast majority of the huge, 50,000-strong UofU fan base.

Go Cougars!

• peterpanedU OREM, UT
    May 6, 2014 9:21 a.m.

Go cougers wear what you want. Ute trolls are just like little sisters just plain annoying. As for the schedule look at next years, you complain about schedules look at the U basketball schedule look at BYU's .

• IDC Boise, ID
    May 6, 2014 9:14 a.m.

I like the Navy Blue best but I don't mind seeing a different uniform now and then.

Trolls, thanks for the comments. I don't know but I would imagine the more interest BYU articles get, the more that will be written. I love reading about anything BYU and this helps the time pass until football season arrives. Go Cougars!

• BlackDiamond Provo, UT
    May 6, 2014 9:12 a.m.

I guess when your team wins a National Championship and join those who have National Championship banners in their stadiums. You all can just pick who you wanna play. Get on our level.

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    May 6, 2014 8:07 a.m.

Why don't you guys schedule a bunch of games against Oregon and USC and UCLA and Stanford and Michigan like we did?

Do you prefer playing Middle Tennessee, UNLV, Virginia, and a bunch of other nobodies?

I just don't understand why byu doesn't schedule a ton of big time teams like we do?

• goducks SANTA CLARA, UT
    May 6, 2014 7:58 a.m.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    May 6, 2014 7:52 a.m.

Another BYU article with Ute trolls in abundance...

May 6, 2014 7:47 a.m.

@ Vladhagen
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Why the solid colors? BYU always loses when they play in solids. Boise State 2012, Utah 2013, OSU 2012.......They almost lost to Ole Miss and SDSU in all white if it hadn't been for KVN. Maybe it is just superstition, but the solid colors have not been good to BYU.

They always loses when they play in solids?? They almost lost, wow dude nice trolling!!! I love the black, I am hoping in the near future they play Army, Navy, and pull out some camo colored! GO COUGARS, get on the train or get off loyal fans!!!!

• CG Orem, UT
    May 6, 2014 7:47 a.m.

Why would the trolls up north even care what uni's BYU will be wearing this year? Don't they have better things to do like coming up with a new chip dip recipe to enjoy with their potato chip bowl?

• Sandyclaws Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2014 7:25 a.m.

@Naval Vet

Please save this comment until December, then take it out again and check the relative rankings/non-rankings of BYU and Utah at the end of your season.

You know you will.

• Danny T Minneapolis, MN
    May 6, 2014 7:23 a.m.

all those jerseys are totally fresh. But I'd like to see them move to a royal blue one thats not all skin tight and has totally long sleeves and is cut off right at the waist like in the steve young days. Now thats fresh!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2014 6:42 a.m.

Why wear those for Virginia, Utah state, and unlv?

Oh, those are the best home games?

May 6, 2014 6:38 a.m.

I'm glad to see there aren't any off-white uniforms that look like white uniforms that need to be washed.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2014 1:52 a.m.

"followed by an all-black uniform in the Cougars' final home game of the year, Nov. 15 against UNLV."

What happened to Savannah State?

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    May 5, 2014 11:16 p.m.

Love the Royal BYU Blue... prefer it with white for the top and blue bottoms or vice versa. Hate the black. Absurd to wear a color that isn't your color. How about a pandering all-purple out one time?

As to the schedule... at home... time to get away tickets although there should be fun games with Virginia, Houston, Utah State, mildly interesting games with the Nevada due and... oh yeah, Savannah State. But, I'll accept it as the price of independence. BYU is NOT better off than Utah in the PAC12, but didn't have an option. No sense ridiculing the school. They are doing the best that could be done. It's still a whole lot better than being in the MWC. Virginia is better than CSU, Houston than anyone but BSU, and we're playing a bunch of MWC while having the liberty of playing Texas, Cal, C. Florida, and BSU.

Holmoe will continue to do the best we can get. So be it. Better dead than red.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    May 5, 2014 10:32 p.m.

BYU just needs to return to the old Royal Blue uniforms. The Navy Blue is Utah State's colors and their uniforms look better. Go back to the Royal Blue.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    May 5, 2014 10:31 p.m.

@Naval Vet

It is true that BYU's home schedule this year is quite boring (with the exception of Chuckie and the Aggies going to Provo.) But while Utah has a much better home schedule, maybe they also should consider putting on different uniforms to break up the monotony of another sub-500 PAC12 season.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    May 5, 2014 10:27 p.m.

The black unis are SICK. I loved the blackout uniforms against Oregon State. Black uniforms can potentially make any team look sharp, including the Utes, including any team who wears them. I agree that for BYU they should use black sparingly and for the right games. I am all for the traditional BYU look for the majority of the games, but for those of you with the "hooligans wear black" mentality, what are you 95 years old? Maybe our female fans should wear dresses with corsets to the games and we should bring wooden rods to slap our children's wrists if heaven forbid they cheer too loudly or get too excited. I see nothing wrong with once a year changing it up for a game and having a little fun with customizing uniforms, just breaking up the boredom once in a while for goodness sake. That being said I don't think we should be like Oregon and wear something different every week, I just think that once in a while it's fun to see something new. The right shade of blue on black is really eye popping and cool. Kind of like the uniforms on the 2010 Tron Movie.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 5, 2014 10:13 p.m.

"At any rate, BYU's alternate uniforms should make the home games more interesting in 2014." -- Brandon Judd

Well with THAT Home schedule, it's a pretty safe bet that those uniforms will be THE most exciting spectacle showcased in Lavell Edwards Stadium. Poor little brother. Your season's highlight has pretty much been reduced to a fashion show now.

Oh well. Have fun playing small ball.

• AntiSNOT Taylorsville, UT
    May 5, 2014 8:45 p.m.

@golong, the trend of changing up the uni's is something that is done for the players and especially for the recruits watching at home on ESPN, etc. You may not have noticed but this is a huge trend in CFB and BYU is adapting to it. Again, the recruits eat that stuff up. Many head coaches have said as much in interviews...

• golong Washington, UT
    May 5, 2014 8:09 p.m.

Black is not a BYU color, please no black uniforms. What is the point of having colors for a college team if they go wear anything? What's next, red? orange? green? Black uniforms are just awful, and they certainly are not a BYU color. I for one will not attend a BYU game if they wear black...or red, or orange, or green.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 5, 2014 7:58 p.m.

I guess this is as good as anything to spice up an otherwise horrific home schedule.
    I don't mean to be the troll here, but seriously, some of you season ticket-holding cougar fans have got to be a bit bothered at the schedule this year.

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    May 5, 2014 7:53 p.m.

Yeah, let's not do black at all. And see nothing good about all white. Prefer Royal/white combos either combination of pants and jersey. All royal blue should be the only novelty.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    May 5, 2014 6:47 p.m.

I prefer the Royal Blue.. Go back to Royal as their main color.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT