More competition? Alex Smith's Chiefs could take a quarterback in NFL draft's first round

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 13, 2014 1:45 p.m.

You said you believe the Chiefs think Alex Smith is just okay. Andy Reid has given him much higher public praise than that and not taking a QB in the draft backs that up. So I believe you are wrong.

I don't see how your comments about CJ Cron have anything to do with this article. You have a long history of making disparaging remarks about Utah athletics and this is just more of the same.

• Duckhunter Highland , UT
    May 10, 2014 8:26 a.m.

@mormon ute

Where was I wrong? I never said the chiefs were going to draft a qb, I just said I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I still don't think they look at smith as a long term answer, he is just a guy they can get by with until they really do get a chance to get something better, at this point they just had greater needs than qb.

I'm not sure what you think smith is but "elite" or even "really good" is not what he is.

Did you bother reading the comments I made about CJ Cron? Kinda blows your entire "point" out of the water huh?

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 9, 2014 1:49 p.m.

It looks like you and all the so called experts were wrong about what the Chiefs were thinking. As far as what SF thought, I believe they were wrong as well. I believe they would have won that super bowl with a QB who had more experience and wouldn't get so rattled by the crowd noise. Speaking of SF, they also proved how smart it is to bring in a new QB several years before you expect to make a change when they brought in Steve Young while Joe Montana was still in his prime. The Packers did the same thing with Aaron Rogers. Smart coaches bring in young talent to gain experience under the wings of their veterans so drafting a QB wouldn't have meant they were looking to immediately replace Alex. Since they didn't, I guess it's a moot point.

• Duckhunter Highland , UT
    May 7, 2014 10:43 p.m.

@mormon ute

Go read the comments on the article about CJ Cron and his big league debut. If I think a player is good then I'll praise him, if I think he is mediocre then I'll comment on that as well. In smith's case I do not think he is any better than ok, and it appears the chiefs think the same thing, oh and SF certainly thought that as well. Just the way it is.

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    May 7, 2014 6:51 p.m.

Ed Grady

"Good idea - get a good qb not another team's castoff."

Wasn't Steve Young "another team's castoff"? I believe the Tampa Bay Bucs gave up on him after he lead them to a couple of four win seasons. They determined he was a bust and drafted a QB with their #1 overall draft pick. When he was traded to the 49ers, he went from the worst team to the best and backed up a Hall of Fame QB, then inherited the QB position on the best team in the NFL. I wonder how things would have turned out if he had stayed in Tampa Bay or had been traded to an average team? HOF? Maybe not.

• DraperUteFan Draper, UT
    May 7, 2014 4:13 p.m.

The Alex Smith naysayers never ceases to amaze. As per usual, they attribute interest in drafting a QB to an underlying dissatisfaction with Smith, a guy who singlehandedly kept the Chiefs in a playoff game when their top talent went down to injury and the defense fell apart. A 119.7 QB rating with 4 td's and no picks while throwing for 378 yards and rushing for over 100. Once ultra conservative Reid took the reigns off a little, Smith showed what he can do.

Smith led a team that won 2 games the year before to 11 wins the next year. Name a BYU quarterback who led such a dramatic turnaround in one NFL season? You won't find it because it never happened.

NFL teams are always looking to bolster the QB position. Sam Bradford has already fallen out of favor in St. Louis. Green Bay, New England, San Diego, New Orleans and other teams with veteran quarterbacks are all looking to draft a QB this year.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 7, 2014 3:17 p.m.

Thanks for the positive outlook Duckhunter. We can always count on your for a good word or two about the Utes, current and former.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    May 6, 2014 7:44 p.m.

Re: Ed Grady and Duckhunter

Maybe they'll draft Heisman Heaps, right?

• Duckhunter Highland , UT
    May 6, 2014 4:18 p.m.

I won't be the slightest bit surprised if the Chiefs draft a qb, alex smith was never considered a long term answer for them, he was just a guy that was available that Andy Reid knew he could squeeze an ok season or two out of.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    May 6, 2014 11:08 a.m.

Good idea - get a good qb not another team's castoff.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    May 5, 2014 4:16 p.m.

This is smoke and mirrors.

The Chiefs are looking to make a deep run now. You don't use your 1st round draft pick to sit on the bench when you have glaring needs (receivers) on the offensive side of the ball. 3rd or 4th round pick, sure, but certainly not a 1st round pick.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 5, 2014 3:57 p.m.

Interesting how everybody panics when he still has a year left on his contract. Plenty of time to work out a deal. That being said, if a good QB is available when the Chiefs turn comes, I think they should take him. The best QB's in the NFL tend to be the ones who had the opportunity to learn from a veteran for several years before having to start. I think it would be a great situation for a young QB to come in and learn from Alex for a few years.