Sports

ESPN reporting former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps is transferring from Kansas

KUSports.com, however, reporting that Heaps is still on the roster and attended a team meeting Tuesday

Comments

• Farid @ Pocatello Pocatello, ID
    May 4, 2014 12:43 p.m.

The more I think about it, he may come back to BYU if as I hear he is graduating and will be available immediately. With Ammon Olsen gone to So. Utah, the Cougars don't have a strong backup.

Heaps knows the school, and might get significant playing time if Taysom gets injured (and with that run-fast-run-hard offense, and his 15-20 runs a game, I'm not sure Hill will survive another season unscathed). They could let him start against the 1-AA school and give him a decent amount of 4th quarter action.

We'll see, but it's not as crazy as I initially thought.

• Farid @ Pocatello Pocatello, ID
    May 4, 2014 12:37 p.m.

I'd be very surprised if he were to transfer to a third Division-1 school. From the new school's view, there is no reason to believe that after not succeeding at two schools that he suddenly "figured it out" and will be a star. Other schools will likely look at him as little more than depth at quarterback.

My guess is he heads to a prestigious 1-AA school that can provide a "similar" facilities and fan base (a game at No. Iowa or Montana feels like a D-1 game). Montana St. and No. Colorado have already shown some interest.

I wish him well.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    May 2, 2014 1:39 p.m.

Why do we CARE!?!??!?!

• TheCheapSeats SLC, UT
    May 2, 2014 1:13 p.m.

I was actually very hopeful about Heaps when he first came to BYU. I know nothing of him other than what I witnessed of him on the field. I later decided he didn't have what it takes and welcomed his departure.

All you need to know about Heaps's performance can be summed up by watching the mis-timed snap against Utah. You can find it on Youtube set to the music Yakety Sax. So the snap itself is likely a center mistake, Heaps picks the ball up, and then as he tries to pass, drops the ball into the end zone. Instead of getting on the ball or kicking it out of the end zone, he dives over the top of it. The only thing that came to mind when I saw it happen was that he was spooked of getting drilled in the pile that was coming. Sooner give up s touchdown than risk getting hit.

The second factor that shifted me to being pessimistic about him was the frequency in which he got in receivers' faces after plays with balls that were poorly thrown. Failure to accept accountability seldom leads to strong leadership. Whiny and entitled.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    May 2, 2014 8:16 a.m.

@ I Bleed Blue

Light up Utah like he did in 2011?

Ten points, seven turnovers, and Utah posting something like 54 points? Yeah, I hope he goes to Fresno too.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    May 1, 2014 3:16 p.m.

Jake Heaps gonna do what jake Heaps wanna do.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    May 1, 2014 7:26 a.m.

Ronald Uharriet

Heaps was given every opportunity to succeed at BYU and failed miserably. It was up to him to produce on the field when he was given the chance. Compare what Jake had to do to become BYU's starting quarterback with what Nielson, Wilson, McMahon, Young, Bosco, and even Detmer had to do.

• Ronald Uharriet SWun City, Ca.
    April 30, 2014 11:14 p.m.

With all the ethusiasm and talent, that Heaps had when he came to the Y, I feel that it is very sad that we squelshed that enthusiasm and talent, instead of capitalizing upon it. Heaps is now damaged goods. I heart cries out for him.

• Me, Myself and I The Promised Land, UT
    April 30, 2014 7:43 p.m.

@Floyd Johnson

Mahe transferred to Dixie which was still a JC at the time then back to BYU.

• Me, Myself and I The Promised Land, UT
    April 30, 2014 7:38 p.m.

Isn't Weber State still looking for a QB? I'm not sure SUU would be a good fit as they just had Olsen transfer there from BYU. Not sure if Jay Hill could contact Heaps or if Heaps would have to initiate, but it might be a win, win for both parties.

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    April 30, 2014 5:23 p.m.

If I were Heaps, I would only transfer if the prospective school had a better academic record than the one is currently enrolled in. It's a tough pill to swallow, but he's not going to the NFL and I wish he would see that.

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    April 30, 2014 4:45 p.m.

Nice posts East Coast Coug Heaps...

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    April 30, 2014 3:44 p.m.

A light bulb just went on. I realized BYU has an opening for a backup quarterback, and I am wondering if an athlete has ever transferred back to his original school in this type of situation. Reno Mahe transferred back from SUU, but that was a different scenario. I think that he should do it just so we can tell the story for the next 30 years.

• Parkite1 Park City, UT
    April 30, 2014 2:31 p.m.

Huge disappointment and he must have a Deseret News relative because my first comment was denied when all I nicely alluded to was his last name

• calpreps Los Angeles, CA
    April 30, 2014 1:38 p.m.

Let's not all forget that Heaps was grossly mismanaged at BYU by Bronco and Doman. Being mismanaged by College coaches at Heaps' young age, did him in! BYU was not the promised land that Heaps thought it was. Bronco had an undying love affair with Riley Nelson, and Doman wanted Heaps to play. They were constantly battling about the offense, when Bronco should have stayed out of Doman's business. We all remember how productive Heaps was at the conclusion of his freshman year, and then everything fell apart. BYU parted ways with Anae due to the fact that Anae and Reynolds couldn't get along, and so went Heaps career at BYU. Doman was to young and inexperienced to stand up to Bronco and thus Riley became the overwhelming favorite at BYU. Heaps was great coming out of high school. I blame the coaching staff at BYU for destroying his confidence, and at that age in big time D1 football, it's hard to regain. Kansas was never a good fit for Heaps. I just hope Heaps can play somewhere and finish out successful. Sad to have seen this happen. Reason BYU is always mediocre!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    April 30, 2014 1:07 p.m.

Transferring? I missed the press conference. Where is Jake going to win a national title now?

• PunkJones Bountiful, UT
    April 30, 2014 12:46 p.m.

Amongst all the changes surrounding Jake, one thing remains constant: Jake. The young gun just may not be as good as advertised. His 49% completion rate last season speaks volumes as he struggled with accuracy at BYU too. Dropping below 50% in Charlie Weiss passing offense is brutal. Should have stayed at BYU. Would have been better to be a backup in Provo than Kansas, or Eastern Montana Community College, or wherever else he thinks he can get playing time. Good luck Jake.

• Bored to the point of THIS! Ogden, UT
    April 30, 2014 12:18 p.m.

When will Jake and his family accept the fact he's not that good?

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    April 30, 2014 12:04 p.m.

Agree with Eastcoast Coug.
    We shouldn't be so judgmental.

You can't blame the kid for wanting to play. If he can find a starting job at an FCS school, then I say go for it. He would probably do well at a school like Weber State.
    I am not sure about the NCAA rules, but if he has graduated, can't he go to an FBS school straight away, just like Carlino did?

Kansas was not a good place for him as a drop-back passer, because frankly their O-line stinks.
    If he can find the right program with a terrific O-line whose offensive scheme is conducive to a drop-back passer, then perhaps he could showcase his talent. Fresno State comes to mind, but I imagine they're pretty set at QB position, as well as just about any other FBS D1 school.

• VAggie Bristow, United States
    April 30, 2014 11:57 a.m.

I do not see where he would fit at USU. Chuckie Keeton is our man, maybe if our 3rd string QB goes down.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    April 30, 2014 11:31 a.m.

It could very well be that he will receive his degree before next season. This is a current loop hole allowed by the NCAA. He would then be eligible to play immediately.

• portlander Arlington, WA
    April 30, 2014 11:29 a.m.

Lots of Big Sky Conference schools where he could land.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    April 30, 2014 11:11 a.m.

The most logical choice would be a school that he's familiar with and one that has had constant quarterback issues since 2008; and even that quarterback wasn't good enough to make an NFL roster.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    April 30, 2014 10:52 a.m.

If the player has already graduated, he can go to another division one school, enroll in a graduate program, and play immediately. That may be what he is looking at. He could probably do well at a school in a mid-major conference that is playing a schedule of lesser competition. The most logical choices would be the Houston Cougars, Virginia Cavaliers, Utah State Aggies, Nevada Wolfpack, UNLV Rebels, or perhaps the Savannah State Tigers.

• JmThms Henderson, NV
    April 30, 2014 10:37 a.m.

Advice to both Heaps and Carlino:

1. You can't run away from your shortcomings. Before looking at everyone and everything else around you, look at yourself in a mirror.

2. Start to focus on another career outside of your chosen sport. You simply aren't good enough to excel consistently at the college level let alone professionally.

3. Good luck.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    April 30, 2014 10:16 a.m.

I feel bad for the kid. Not everyone gets to have all their ups and downs commented on by the masses. I am sure he understands his dreams of playing at the next level are on life support with a hand reaching to yank the plug. He may just want to end his playing career.... playing.

For 98 percent of all players, he is facing the realization that most at some point must realize, that the end of his football days are drawing near. Hopefully he can do so without too many people who haven't made it as far as he has making complete fools of themselves by saying something really stupid...

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    April 30, 2014 10:01 a.m.

So the kid celebrated his signing with his HS buddies. Big deal. What proof do ANY OF YOU have that he is this ego-centric maniac that so many have painted him to be??

I don't really see much of any difference between Jake and ANY of us or our kids today. Just that for a while he had a stage to do it on and some of us think we know him as a result.

Calm down, people. Get on with your own self-centered lives. If any of you is without sin in this department, cast the first stone...

• MAFU Salt Lake City, UT
    April 30, 2014 9:56 a.m.

A cautionary tale of what the hype machine can do to an athlete. Let this be a lesson that having a private QB coach from age 12, putting up gaudy HS numbers vs. KINGCO (suburban Seattle)competition, and hiring a PR firm to announce your commitment to the Y at a sports bar, doth not guarantee success, fame, or NFL riches.

• Copacetic Logan, UT
    April 30, 2014 9:53 a.m.

@ flatlander:

Your bias is once again on display. Let's get it straight. The same thing happened to Jake at Kansas State as it did at BYU. He started for awhile and then lost his starting position after his productivity dropped off.
    Believe it not, that happens quite a lot in both the college ranks as well as in the NFL. Trying to twist that into some sort of negative BYU thing simply demonstrates ignorance.

• Alpiner Alpine, UT
    April 30, 2014 9:37 a.m.

What I don't get is why he didn't graduate after having a year where he had to sit out. If he graduated he could go anywhere in the FBS to pursue a graduate degree as long as he found one at the new school that wasn't being offered at the old one. This seems like a bigger failure than not making it at Kansas.

It seems to me that Heaps just doesn't like the physicality of College football. I also doubt he will go to SUU, that would be poor form for them to accept Heaps after bringing in Olson.

• ekute Layton, UT
    April 30, 2014 9:24 a.m.

He showed a lot of promise until that game on 9/17/11. After that his coaches and team mates never looked at him the same.

• the REAL DEAL Sandy, UT
    April 30, 2014 9:19 a.m.

@Yankees24,

Except for the fact that Brent Casteel was a great player!

• Brent T. Aurora CO Aurora, CO
    April 30, 2014 9:08 a.m.

I had left the simple comment that Jake Heaps is a flake, denied by DN. What that was meant to imply, deservedly, was that in transferring again, in yet another situation where someone else gets thew starting job, he demonstrates he unreliably cannot be counted on. At BYU, in the case of Riley, you have another young man who transferred in with high hopes to start, lost the starting gig to Heaps, but stayed, worked hard and got the starting job back.

To other a future programs who might accept Heaps transferring in, it is a history that suggests caution as this unreliability (the very definition of flakiness) translates to on the field play. Jake has shown he gives up and won't do the hard work. If he had any professional aspirations, most assuredly pro scouts will have noticed this.

In any case, seeing this headline and story, my first reaction (and I'm sure others felt this way) was -- again???

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    April 30, 2014 9:07 a.m.

The usual animus/thoughtful comments daily between BYU/UTAH...

The Sun Also Rises...

My thoughts...

I too was reeled in by the headline...

Shame on me.

Going forward...

The DN will also headline...(in large type)

FOX News reports Ronald Reagan Resurrected...

Followed by sub-headline...(in smaller type)

Heaven.com, however, reporting that Reagan is still on the roster and attended a team meeting on Tuesday...

My point...

The quality of this style of reporting is beneath the standard DN readers deserve.

Shame on the DN.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    April 30, 2014 8:55 a.m.

Good luck to him. He was thrown into the game too early his freshman yr. Back in the 80's and 90's when BYU was a QB factory, we did not stick freshman in games as starters. They typically did not start until they were juniors or seniors. Tough to excel at QB if your line can't block.

Debbie Downers, of which there is no short supply here, will say that Jake is simply horrible. But then again, they're not Division I QB talent, are they?

Good luck, Jake.

• rocket12 Ogden, UT
    April 30, 2014 8:46 a.m.

Boy this kid just doesn't get it does he!!!!! He just isn't the QB HE thinks he is. He must have an ego the size of California. "Ok if you don't play me I will transfer"....boy what a joke!! Go back to high school and grow up!!

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    April 30, 2014 8:44 a.m.

I'm sorry that things don't seem to being turning very well for Jake in the sports department. I hope he's faring better academically.

But, my main takeaway from this tale of a touring college athlete is how much more like professional sports the college sports scene increasingly seems to be. Transfers between colleges are just like players being traded in the NFL, NHL or NBA.

I scoffed at the recent ruling concerning college athletes forming a union. At the whole idea really. But since the reality of college sports seems more and more to be little more than a prep for professional sports, including training on moving from one team to another, perhaps things should inch even closer to reality by allowing the players to unionize and be paid beyond their scholarships for their role in procuring network sports revenue and school booster donations.

Frankly, I hate that idea and think the emphasis should be much higher on the first word in the term, "student athlete".

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    April 30, 2014 8:32 a.m.

Jake, Jake, Jake. What's the point? Your potential as a pro football player is roughly the same as mine. Just suck it up at Kansas, be a man, accept that you're a backup and be ready if you're pressed into action. Is the guy seriously still thinking he has big-time potential if only he can find the right fit? We really don't know anything about his work ethic, character, or family (low blow, dude) but we do know he is a below-average D1 quarterback. Jake, meet reality. Reality, Jake.

To all the usual chucklehead anti-BYU posters, answer me this: If Heaps and Apo had signed with Utah out of high school, are you telling me you wouldn't have been crowing about it? Or did the Utes just not want them? EVERYONE wanted Heaps, and apparently Texas thought Apo was pretty good. Are you really saying Bronco mismanaged both of them so badly they went from blue-chip recruits to quivering masses of mediocrity? Or did EVERYONE just overestimate them from the beginning. Be honest, if that's possible.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    April 30, 2014 8:28 a.m.

Hey, maybe he'll transfer to Utah, they have ongoing QB issues and no real starter. Good luck Jake, too bad Ammon Olsen beat you to SUU, looks like that option is off the table. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Utah or Weber St

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    April 30, 2014 8:27 a.m.

flatlander

"Let's see, sets records at BYU but can't start for last place Kansas in the big 12."

Conveniently leaving out the "freshman" part of the "sets records" Since Freshman have rarely started at QB at BYU, it's not surprising. Who knows, you might be able to set some records as a freshman at BYU if you started at QB.

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    April 30, 2014 8:24 a.m.

Jake Heaps is still trying to find relevance as a college quarterback. SUU or Utah State maybe his final home as a backup.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    April 30, 2014 8:24 a.m.

@Uncle Rico
    "Jake, go back to BYU, they start a RB as a QB"
    Those who fail to learn from history....

Jake left BYU last time because they decided to start a safety as a QB, why would he want to repeat that scenario?

• Idahotransplant West Jordan, UT
    April 30, 2014 8:02 a.m.

This is waht happens to athletes when they think "it's all about me".....LOL!!!! Then again there seems to be a recent case of "College athlete transferitis" in the state of Utah and throughout.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    April 30, 2014 8:00 a.m.

Time to move on.

Jake has simply proven how over-rated "star" ratings can be.

4- and 5-star recruits sometimes fail miserably, and walk-ons sometimes turn into all-stars.

It's impossible to know which will be the case for every recruit.

There's a big difference between throwing an accurate ball with little or no pressure against vanilla high school defenses, and being an effective quarterback with changing D1 college defenses and blitzing 250-pound linebackers coming at you from all angles.

Jake's biggest problem was he didn't like getting hit, so most of his throws were rushed, and, he wasn't very good at reading defenses and exploiting weaknesses.

I hope Jake finds a home where he can at least have a fun experience as a senior. More importantly, I hope he finishes his college degree, because it's looking very doubtful that he'll have a career in the NFL.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    April 30, 2014 7:47 a.m.

@FT

Really? Heaps' FAMILY taught him to be a quitter? I am just amazed at your comment. I am really quite fed up with all the judgmental comments on some of these boards. It's one thing to rib a rival but some of these comments reveal a very sad state on the part of some people.

• Aggiefan21 Riverton, UT
    April 30, 2014 7:42 a.m.

Maybe Heaps and Carlino can be roommates?

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    April 30, 2014 7:38 a.m.

Over hyped, too stuck on himself, a Dad who kept telling him how good he was. If this kid got beat out by Riley Nelson, who had a ton of mental toughness but little else, then you know that he had no work ethic. I feel bad for Jake that he wasn't patient. He should have red shirted his freshman year or gone on a mission. Anyone who had that level of arrogance to have a press conference about his going to the Y was way over the top. I feel bad for Jake but he's a product of his own making. If he transfers to SUU (doubtful) Ammon Olsen will beat him out.

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 30, 2014 7:28 a.m.

Another example of what an inexact science/art college recruiting is. Every D1 school has dozens of examples where a "can't miss recruit" doesn't succeed at the next level. There is a lot of pressure and expectations on these kids and at the end of the day it takes a combination of natural talent, effective coaching and most of all hard work to succeed. Hopefully Heaps will earn his degree and be successful in his chosen career.

• John S. Harvey Sandy, UT
    April 30, 2014 7:25 a.m.

Boise or Fresno as a graduate student might be a possibility if he wants to stay in the FBS, or he could drop a level and go many different places. Either way he probably has a very different future than he had hoped for.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    April 30, 2014 7:22 a.m.

I'm not sure where I heard it, but I seem to recall someone at BYU saying that he didn't hit the weight room like other players. If, true, perhaps he never got hungry enough to play to get to the weight room and other conditioning applications. I wish Jake all the best. I doubt we'll see him in the NFL. But if his work ethic is questionable at the college level, then high school coaching may be his best career option. Perhaps he can help shape other young men into fine quarterbacks. By his experience, he can teach what it takes to make it at the college level; which are lots of hard work and constant working on your game. Good fortunes Jake, wherever you end up.

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    April 30, 2014 7:15 a.m.

Maybe Heaps put all his eggs in one basket. NFL or bust.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    April 30, 2014 6:05 a.m.

So sad to see how things are turning out for this kid's football career. It's got to be so terribly devastating to him and his family, and I feel for them. Expectations can be so cruel when things don't shape out as hyped. Hope he can finally find a better fit for his talents and go out with a bang in his last year as a college player. His best bet now is to think about coaching rather than as a professional player. Then again, if he goes to a school like Boise and tears it up then he might still be coming out smelling like a rose.

Good luck Mr. Heaps! Keep your chin up even if things don't work out. Football is not the only game in life.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    April 30, 2014 5:42 a.m.

Sometimes being great in high school just doesn't work out in college. He was just so sure he was NFL material that he couldn't take redshirting at BYU and waiting his turn. Too bad. I hope he has grown up a little bit and has a chance to go forward with his life now.

• cmsense Kaysville, UT
    April 30, 2014 5:41 a.m.

High school stud to Division I dud. He had his opportunities. Not everyone can make it to the NFL so study hard Jake and join the rest of us.

• Sore loser tampa, fl
    April 30, 2014 5:35 a.m.

He should have stayed instate from high school. He would have been a great Husky.

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    April 30, 2014 5:34 a.m.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    April 30, 2014 4:50 a.m.

I don't know Heaps well and suspect none of you do as well. I wonder how many of the Heaps haters here have found linear (constant, upward moving) success in their lives. Life and sports have ways of throwing something different at us than we expect. I hope he finds what he's looking for and more and more of it outside football.

• JLFuller Boise, ID
    April 30, 2014 12:06 a.m.

At some point you have to accept that character supersedes talent. However the kid's talent never seemed to measure up against the competition either.

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    April 29, 2014 11:40 p.m.

Hope things work out for Heaps -- I don't think he has enough fire in his belly to make a successful Quarterback.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    April 29, 2014 10:59 p.m.

Every time I see his name in the news it renews in me the fervent desire that the Y coaching staffs have learned lessons about promising some kid (or his dad) anything other than hard work and a chance for a spot. Steer clear of the entitled ones, no matter how many stars.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    April 29, 2014 10:48 p.m.

Hey why not go to Hawaii at this point, just purely for location reasons, seriously?

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 29, 2014 10:35 p.m.

What a nightmare for this kid.

Gosh I hope he graduates with some degree or maybe just goes into acting. Maybe he could get a part in the next Napoleon Dynamite sequel as Uncle Rico's son or nephew?

I'm really tired of seeing this kid getting any attention. To see his name in a headline is rarely good news.

• CougOrUte..Naah Nibley, UT
    April 29, 2014 10:19 p.m.

Cval is right, doubt he would transfer to be a 3rd teamer at USU. Probably should go to Utah and be a part of the QB herd.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    April 29, 2014 10:19 p.m.

Utah, and Weber are currently meeting with him.

Jake is graduating.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    April 29, 2014 10:13 p.m.

His family taught him to be a quitter and now he's become quite good at it.

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    April 29, 2014 10:12 p.m.

Here is hoping he ends up at Fresno State. It would be epic to see him light up Utah.

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    April 29, 2014 9:53 p.m.

Jake should finish his degree and become an NFL referee.

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    April 29, 2014 9:51 p.m.

BYU recycled the OC...if bring Heaps back...kind of like Ground Hog Day...

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    April 29, 2014 9:38 p.m.

I don't understand how he could transfer to Boise or Utah State. He used his redshirt year already, it seems clear that his only option is to move to a lower division.

I wish Jake the best in all of his future endeavors.

• cval Hyde Park, UT
    April 29, 2014 9:27 p.m.

Utah State? He would be 3rd string behind Chuckie Keaton and Darrell Garretson.

Highly unlikely!!!

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    April 29, 2014 9:27 p.m.

Jake, go back to BYU, they start a RB as a QB

• OmahaCoug Omaha, NE
    April 29, 2014 9:26 p.m.

I feel sorry for Jake. A lot of hype and promise coming out of high school that never seemed to materialize.

If the transferring report is indeed true, then he'd have to transfer to an FCS school to play this fall. Or, if he's on track to graduate from Kansas this spring (he has been in college for four years now), he could transfer to an FBS school.

• LadyMoon Crestucky, FL
    April 29, 2014 9:17 p.m.

Perhaps Heaps should consider coaching.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    April 29, 2014 9:15 p.m.

Jake got his chance in Kansas but couldn't make it work. Too bad. Feel bad for him and his mom.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    April 29, 2014 9:12 p.m.

"set several BYU freshman records in 2010, including passing yards, touchdowns and wins."
    "Utah State and Boise State are potential landing spots for Heaps"
    Good choices. Heaps was a good QB at the MWC level.

• wahului Stockton, CA
    April 29, 2014 9:09 p.m.

Jake never has been willing to get gritty and do the work necessary to excel in D-1 football. Lots of talent and natural ability, no work ethic. Classic tale.

• basman West Jordan, UT
    April 29, 2014 9:00 p.m.

Remember when Chris B wasn't the first to comment on a BYU football/sports related article? Neither do I! Obsessed, LOL

• airliner Salt Lake City, UT
    April 29, 2014 8:54 p.m.

SUU is a draw with Crowton, but look what Crowton did with another LDS blue chipper in Ben Ohlson.

Poor kid, didn't live up to his own hype. Lost his starting job at BYU to a LB playing QB (older brother to the great "kicker") because the head coach valued toughness over talent. Bad situation from the beginning, should have steered clear of Provo, all together.

At least he didn't have to pay for college.

• Yankees24 SLC, UT
    April 29, 2014 8:44 p.m.

Chris,

It's almost as amusing as when Brent Casteel said he was going to win the Heisman haha

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    April 29, 2014 8:42 p.m.

I feel bad for the guy. I hope goes to a school with a good name and gets a degree that helps him in life after football.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    April 29, 2014 8:34 p.m.

Kansas and Weiss were a serious mistake. How he was managed at BYU was a mistake. My advice to Jake would be to drop out of football and focus on a career outside of sports.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 29, 2014 8:26 p.m.

Hey Chris B they could have totally won a few national Titles.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    April 29, 2014 8:24 p.m.

Good luck Jake!

• hobbes1012003 Kaysville, UT
    April 29, 2014 8:19 p.m.

Always trying to move on to "greener" pastures

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 29, 2014 8:18 p.m.

Remember when heaps and Apo and stout held a press conference to say they were going to byu to win national title?

Lol!

• cks289no Altadena, CA
    April 29, 2014 8:13 p.m.

Amazing, everybody thought the world of Heaps coming out of High School.
    What a complete bust.