Faith

USA Today: Provo is the nation’s happiest town, but is it worth visiting?

Comments

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    April 30, 2014 12:53 p.m.

FYI, Jonestown was said to be "the happiest place on Earth."

Look it up.

Jim Jones and his Church were apparently ecstatic.

• CWJ Layton, UT
    April 30, 2014 11:15 a.m.

I'll loosely quote Jim McMahon: The best part of Provo is seeing it in your rearview mirror.

As for me and my house, we'll hang with those heathens up in Ogden.

• Spicy Is Good Cedar Hills, UT
    April 30, 2014 10:26 a.m.

I moved from California 11 years ago and never look back. Utah County is the most beautiful place to live and to raise a family. What a lovely outdoor paradise and a strong community to live!

(BTW, the good integration of imperfect people also shows a lot of weakness. I 100% sure and admitted. But, guys - who are bashing Utah County in this board, do you guys find a perfect place to live yet?)

• donn layton, UT
    April 30, 2014 7:26 a.m.

My folks moved to Utah from California. I should have listened when my friends said "I warn you" "There'll be no surfing there. My cars outside covered with snow.

Utah is a lonely town When you're the only surfer around . From SLC Huntington Beach is such a long way and I feel so out of it walking down Temple square. I feel so bad each time I look out there and see(My Car) covered with snow (Nowhere to go now) Provo is a lonely town When you're the only Christian around.

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    April 30, 2014 7:07 a.m.

I love Provo! Great place to live, raise a family etc. really fun place.

• KC Lindon, UT
    April 29, 2014 10:15 p.m.

Don't forget about the Timpanogos Storytelling Festival held in Orem and Provo canyon -- it's the second-largest storytelling festival in the nation, second only to the National Storytelling Festival in Tennessee. This year, the family-friendly festival is celebrating its 25th year and inviting favorite storytellers, puppeteers, potters, and musicians to the party. It's one of the things that makes this valley a great place to live!

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    April 29, 2014 8:46 a.m.

The good news for you who are bashing Provo. If you don't like Provo (or anywhere else) you can just keep driving! Problem solved! Isn't freedom wonderful?

• one old man Ogden, UT
    April 29, 2014 8:41 a.m.

Did you see KSL's report last night on heroin use in Utah County?

• DigeratiSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    April 29, 2014 7:49 a.m.

Prozac Nation
    Just because Utah County has an unusual large number of candy shops and "young outdoorsy" people doesn't mean that it's the happiest place on Earth. Saying that you're happy (especially in a survey) is not a very good measurement of happiness. Take a look at this DNews article about antidepressant usage.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    April 29, 2014 6:57 a.m.

Highest prescription drugs use and the most cosmetic surgery's in the nation gotta say something.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    April 29, 2014 5:18 a.m.

As a fifty year resident of the state of Utah I can sincerely say the going to Utah County, specifically Provo was never on my list of things to do on purpose.

• AZKID Mapleton, UT
    April 28, 2014 10:40 p.m.

A non-LDS friend of mine described it well with this twist on a familiar saying:

"Utah County: a great place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there!"

• Keen American Fork, UT
    April 28, 2014 10:34 p.m.

Hmmm, on the outside looking in, it's easy to say that Provo is a homogeneous community. However, there is a growing Hispanic part of the community. There are also various ethnic eateries for Polynesians and South/Central Americans.

Where I work at the local university, I have students who work for me who speak Spanish, Russian, Ukrainian, German, Japanese, and Mandarin. In this mix of students, I have those who come from Guatemala, Ukraine, China, Uganda, Philippines, and, of course, from all over the US.

Yes, I agree that Provo is fairly non-cosmopolitan area on the surface and yet many of the students and citizens have had an eclectic mixture of languages and experiences that really make our city/area a special place to live.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    April 28, 2014 4:58 p.m.

Utah County has a lot of great outdoor venues. Great destinations include the ridge line trail for mountain biking, the Alpine loop, Lambert Park (hiking, mountain biking), Fifth Water Hot Springs and Waterfall (Spanish Fork Canyon), Stewart Falls, Bridal Veil Falls and the Provo River biking trail, Vivian Park, Timpanooki Campground (camping, hiking, biking), American Fork Canyon (picnics, hiking, camping, fishing, mountain biking, motorcycling, etc.), BYU Museam of Art, Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum, etc., etc.

Utah County has lots to do, especially if you like the outdoors.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    April 28, 2014 4:54 p.m.

My ancestral home and the place I was born and grew up in. I love it.