Sports

BYU could be going to the Miami Beach Bowl in December

Comments

• Provo, Ute Fan St. George, UT
    May 2, 2014 2:43 p.m.

Curious on why people keeping bringing up old stats when comparing

Bronco VS Kyle

or

Top 25 finishes etc.

Lets compare apples to apples.

Put both school in the same conference vs the same teams. Do we really think BYU could do any better than Utah if they played in the Pac 12. Remember it's different week in and week out to play these teams and not once a year.

• jazzer St. George, UT
    May 2, 2014 2:40 p.m.

On a serious note. I think there are pros and cons to both situation. As for being a fan of both programs I like knowing I can watch my team "BYU" on ESPN week in and week out. The caliber of teams we play does make it a bit less exciting but my best friend plays for BYU so I will always support them each week to watch him play. I think BYU will continue to grow on the map and find a way into the big conference.

I do also love the Utes as a life long season ticket holder. It is frustrating to miss bowl games but I do like to be positive and try to see the bright side that maybe we will come around and start battling for the championship one day. Doubtful but potentially could happen.

I just hate all this negative talk on each school. Lets be honest with ourselves and realize, neither school is going in the direction to be cocky about. Both schools are sub par at best.

Enough said.
    ONE LOVE PEOPLE
    Good vibes, and enjoy the game of Football "TOGETHER".

• Rose Bowl call yet? Salt Lake City, UT
    May 2, 2014 12:40 p.m.

Uteology

Utah has absolutely no chance of going to any of those bowls or the playoffs anyway, so what difference does it matter what bowl tie-ins USC and Oregon have?

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 1, 2014 10:31 p.m.

Uteanymous
    Salt Lake City, Utah

Uteology

"Utah and TCU are doormats in tougher leagues, BYU would be worse."

Nothing but a bunch of jealous hot air; you have absolutely no proof that BYU would be worse than Utah.

------------

I have plenty of proof, look at your player talent, class rankings and NFL draft picks put you closer to Colorado.

Look at your coaching talent, not in demand.

Uteanymous: "Versus PAC 12 Teams Bronco 9-9 (50%) Kyle 13-21 (38%)"

Bronco also has a higher winning parentage vs Big 12 teams over TCU's Gary Patterson. You're the only one that thinks that BYU can compete in the Big 12 and PAC-12 yet can't compete against TCU or Utah.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 1, 2014 10:12 p.m.

@Wiscougarfan

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense since 1) an AAC team played in and won a BCS bowl last season, and 2) there is no longer such thing as "BCS". Whatever helps you sleep at night...

-------------

Playing BYU's schedule, it would bore me to sleep. Fortunately we play a real schedule.

That AAC team that won was UCF, which beat a ranked team and won 8 straight to make the top 15. Thus a BCS bowl invite. Cincinnati 2014 won't play ANY ranked teams and will either lose to UCon or Houston down the stretch. Thus, BCS snub.

Hate to break it to you but the BCS is the "Group of Five". The BCS bowls are not going anywhere, in fact the remaining two won't host a playoff game:

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl
    At-Large vs. Group of Five

Discover Orange Bowl
    ACC Champ/A-L vs. B1G/SEC/ND

Plus the Group of Five just added:

AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic
    At-Large vs. Group of Five

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    May 1, 2014 8:23 a.m.

P.S. 2fer, I didn't intend for my expression of "FACTS" to sound like your post was incorrect, I agreed with most of what you said. I was simply thinking about the Kids History episode where they're riding in the car.... "FAAAAAAAC-T"

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    May 1, 2014 7:55 a.m.

RE: Two For Flinching

I see what you're saying but it doesn't change any of the FACTS from my previous post. While members of the "Big 5" feel that their conferences have simply taken the place of "BCS" (which is likely true) it doesn't change the fact that there are "BCS busters" out there. None of the teams that left the Big East (WVU, Syracuse, Pitt) were included in my list of BCS busters, the AAC did lose Louisville but gained UCF so they are still a top mid-major conference, one with a proven track record of playing in BCS/Big 5 bowl games. I still see no logical reason for a snub, if a one loss UCF team can make it, why not an undefeated one?

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    May 1, 2014 12:23 a.m.

@ Wiscougarfan

The old Big East became the AAC after WVU, Syracuse and Pitt left the conf. The AAC is also losing Rugers and Louisville next season. Those teams were replaced by Navy, Temple, UCF, SMU, Houston and Memphis. As a result the AAC lost it's AQ status, and is essentially now a mid-major conference. The Big 5 power conferences left include that PAC-12, BIG 12, BIG 10, SEC, and the ACC. That is why the AAC will most likely be snubbed from a championship bowl in 2014.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah

WSU
    Bronco 1-0 (100%)
    Kyle 2-1 (67%)

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 30, 2014 9:09 p.m.

Uteology

"Utah and TCU are doormats in tougher leagues, BYU would be worse."

In fact, historic evidence suggests just the opposite:

AP Top 25 Finishes

Conference Championship
    Bronco 2
    Kyle 1

MWC Finishes
    Bronco -- 2, 1, 1, 3, 2, 3 = 2.00 average finish
    Kyle ---- 4, 3, 3, 1, 3, 2 = 2.66 average finish

Bronco was undefeated versus MWC cellar dwellers Wyoming, Colorado St, New Mexico and UNLV
    Kyle lost to every MWC cellar dweller including getting shut out by 10-loss UNLV

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    April 30, 2014 9:03 p.m.

With haters disparaging the AAC I thought I'd do a little digging to see how horrible this conference actually is. Here's what I found...

In their only year of existence (2013-14) the conference champion finished the season ranked #10 (which I believe was slightly higher than Utah) and played in a BCS bowl despite having one loss. The AAC won more BCS bowl games last season than the PAC12.

Since there is such a short history it is hard to say much more about the conference. However, of the current members, 4 (UCF, Cincy, Louisville, UCONN) have played in a total of 5 BCS bowl games (2009 Orange, 2010 Sugar, 2011 Fiesta, 2012 Sugar, 2013 Fiesta) since Utah played in their last BCS bowl (2008).

With a team having appeared in a BCS bowl each of the last five seasons I wonder why Uteology thinks they'll suddenly get snubbed this coming season. Spin away, I love to see y'all squirm up on the hill. You continue to prove that there is only one team in Utah worth talking about, and that team is in Provo.

Go Cougs!

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    April 30, 2014 8:07 p.m.

Re: Uteology

"The only good thing about this bowl game is that it will be played in Miami! I doubt either fanbase will be happy playing in the AAC Championship game after being snubbed by the BCS bowls."

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    April 30, 2014 7:28 p.m.

Why is this difficult to understand?

This would be like BYU fans getting on a Utah story to rag about how bad the Utah football team is after we lost to them. I know it happens, I just can't understand it. The words would choke in my throat, or tangle my fingers in knots, as it were.

Similarly, I cannot understand why U fans can't seem to understand that fans of a team that has not been bowling two years in a row, and for whom the prospects this year may not be any better, have absolutely zero standing in a discussion on the merits of this bowl game.

Zero.

There ARE merits, and it isn't all Roses (pardon the pun).

But stick to "scoreboard" and "4-0". You own it. But you got nothin' here. Obviously you have the right to be interested; you can even feel the way you do. But your words are shouted in an otherwise empty forest.

No one hears you.

Stop talking.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 30, 2014 5:15 p.m.

@Wiscougarfan

Utah and TCU are doormats in tougher leagues, BYU would be worse. I have no problem with BYU fans not wanting to compete against the Power 5. After all you guys can't even compete with Utah or TCU.

Miami Beach Bowl (aka AAC Championship Game):

BYU (10-2)
    vs
    Cincinnati (11-1)

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    April 30, 2014 1:10 p.m.

Being an Independent does have its perks - exclusive partnership with ESPN, freedom to have every home game nationally televised either on ESPN or on BYUtv, ability to schedule elite teams from across the country throughout the season, instead of only being able to play one or two a season, and no more trips to Laramie.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    April 30, 2014 1:09 p.m.

"All true blue fans would trade places with Utah."

Not this TrueBlue fan.

As Wiscougarfan said, there's nothing prestigiou about being a perennial doormat of any conference.

Unlike Utah fans who seem to be satisfied with nothing more than being "in" a conference, I care more about BYU's overall success. Whether that's as an Independent or as a member of a conference, BYU can still achieve great success.

Who would have predicted at the beginning of the LaVell Edwards era, that a WAC school that had never achieved anything on a national championship, would become a perennial Top 25 team, win a Consensus National Championship, a Heisman Trophy, become a quarterback factory, and have multiple players inducted into the National College Football Hall of Fame within the next 20 years.

BYU may have to travel a different path to get there, but there's no reason it can't be done again.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    April 30, 2014 11:01 a.m.

"Even if Utah does not make a bowl game they still get to play 10 games against power conference teams."

and

"All true blue fans would trade places with Utah."

Sorry, but that simply isn't true. I'm a real Cougarfan and I would prefer my team is not the doormat of a conference, no matter what conference it is. I already did that when I attended a B1G school for one of my graduate degrees and the annual bicycle race was a bigger deal than the football program. Nope, I'll keep my independence and be grateful for a national schedule, a national television contract, and an annual bowl game. It's good to be a Cougar!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    April 29, 2014 11:19 p.m.

Mormon Ute

Fair comment and of course this thread has about run its course, but I'd like to reply.

BYU fans laugh about Utah's position in the PAC whatever, but maybe we do that because Utah fans continually brag about BYU's lack of inclusion. It goes round and round and it includes everything including which apostle went to which school.

Really I like coach Whit and I like Utah football. I wish obnoxious fans from both sides could show a little more class. How about you and I start with this?

I believe Utah is in a potential better position in a conference than BYU is in independence. Independence is the best option available to BYU at present. Both teams could improve their position by winning big games when they get the chance.

Fair enough?

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    April 29, 2014 4:41 p.m.

@Hank Pym

Actually, I'm pretty sure BYU only needs to win 5 games to go to the bowl games that Utah goes to :)

Go Cougars!

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    April 29, 2014 2:44 p.m.

re: Mormon Ute

Exactly. BYU needs to win at least 10 games to go to bowl that a 7 win Utah team would.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 29, 2014 1:57 p.m.

This is just my perspective on this, but so many BYU fans have expressed surprise at how many Ute fans have jumped on this and been critical of BYU's bowl situation. Again, this is just me, but my position is that so many BYU fans have chided the Utes for being proud of our inclusion in the Pac 12 that we look for every opportunity to point out weaknesses in BYU's position as an independent. The bowl situation is a glaring weakness that even ESPN cannot help BYU with. So if BYU fans want Ute fans to lay off the criticism on a topic like this, they need to lay off the criticism of our Pac 12 membership. The bottom line is, and I challenge any BYU fan to prove me wrong, Utah has much greater upward potential as far as bowl games and opportunities for the national playoff than BYU does. Membership in any of the 5 power conferences brings that.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    April 29, 2014 1:36 p.m.

"Actually, Utah will be playing at the Rose Bowl on October 4th of this year."

I think only a Ute fan would brag about playing UCLA at home and referring to it as "the Rose Bowl". Yes, the stadium's name is the Rose Bowl. That's no more prestigious than playing USC in the coliseum or any other stadium. This article is about Bowls, not which stadium utah gets to lose in this year.

Oh, and Utah's "chances" of getting into any bowl game this year are 0. Odds makers might give them higher chances, but ultimately, it's 0. So at least BYU get's to play in a bowl game. You can beat your drum of conference affiliation till the cows come home. Just like North Carolina State, most people couldn't tell that utah was in a "power conference" based on how they do.

• Samwise Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 29, 2014 12:55 p.m.

Laugh all you want, Ute fans. It is a better bowl than the nothing bowl and a better location than sitting at home in Salt Lake, which is what the Utes will get (again). Go Cougars!

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    April 29, 2014 11:24 a.m.

An article on a guaranteed BYU bowl game is trending slowly in the number of comments towards the number generated after the basketball debacle in Moraga, California recently. Too funny!

• theDailyObserver Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 29, 2014 11:08 a.m.

CougarSunDevil:

" No it's not the Rose Bowl, but then, no one from the state of Utah is going there."

Actually, Utah will be playing at the Rose Bowl on October 4th of this year. I know it's not as prestigious as byu playing at Johnny 'Red' Floyd Stadium in Murfreesboro, TN, but I'm sure the Utes will manage.

As for the actual Rose Bowl game on New Year's Day, Utah has a better chance of reaching that game than byu under the new CFB structure. Utah probably won't get there this year, next year, or even 10 years from now, but it's nice to know that it's a possibility when all D-1 teams are 0-0 at the beginning of the season.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    April 29, 2014 11:08 a.m.

My Utes have to earn their way into a bowl. It's a tougher road than the way BYU, USU has to go. Walk a moment in Utah's shoes. All true blue fans would trade places with Utah.

BYU playing our schedule would win only 2-3 games. Utah will be lucky to get to 5-6 this year. It feels like a seal running the gauntlet of great white sharks.

98% ticket renewal with a huge waiting list to get to the games.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 29, 2014 9:47 a.m.

Look, any Cougar fan would probably prefer being in the Big 12 right now, but independence hasn't been bad for the Cougs. The MWC was far worse. Now the majority of our games are on national tv, not some quack station that Direct TV won't even carry. BYU plays games from coast to coast giving fans outside the state a chance to attend their games. Every year is exciting because we play different teams and no one knows how good these teams will be at the end of the year...that's better than putting on extra padding to take the same whooping at the hands of the same people every year (poor utes).

I think BYUs future could be bright if the right people make the right decisions when they need to be made. And leaving the MWC and it's dying network was the right decision for BYU. They make more money and have far more exposure now than they ever did.

• BJMoose Syracuse, UT
    April 29, 2014 8:42 a.m.

First of all I have never heard of the AAC. Is it a new conference?
    Secondly isn't it a little early to be announcing bowl bids?
    And what if BYU doesn't win 6 games to become bowl eligible? Although with their apparent schedule as noted by others if that were to happen probably what would happen is a coaching change.
    It really appears at this point that going independent wasn't the wisest decision. I think they over estimated their drawing ability.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    April 29, 2014 8:24 a.m.

Thank you all you Utah fans for proving my point that you will never be able to compete in the PAC-12 because you can't let everything BYU go.

I like the bowl. It's innovative and think playing in any inaugural game is a good thing. No it's not the Rose Bowl, but then, no one from the state of Utah is going there.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    April 29, 2014 8:01 a.m.

Naval Vet

Speaking of "midmajory",

how does it feel to be sitting home on the couch during bowl week, while a couple dozen "midmajor" teams are bowling?

Utah fans are simply showing their desperation when they flock to every BYU bowl article in a vain attempt to asauge their bitter angst over BYU once again bowling while the Utes are spending another bowl week on the couch.

• Tajemnica West Valley, Utah
    April 29, 2014 7:53 a.m.

@ Y ask Y

"I sold my season tickets, and good thing, too. Why would I want to travel clear across the country for a no-account bowl game against a nobody AAC team?

I really don't like Independence. Being a Coug fan just keeps getting worse."

You're argument implies you are divorcing your spouse just because of a disagreement. Do you want to know what a real fan would say in this situation? "I'm not excited about this particular bowl game nor the independence that my team has but I still love and support my team and will watch them anyway and hopefully things will improve." - Bandwagoner says, "I'll support my team once they are good again and play better teams (AKA - I'll support my team again when they fulfill whatever criteria I set)."

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 29, 2014 6:52 a.m.

Snack WAC:

Actually, it is YOU who needs to take off the BLUE goggles. The Big East > the AAC. The AAC is really nothing more than a glorified C-USA, and C-USA was never > the Big East.

The AAC team the cougars are scheduled to play in the Miami Beach Bowl -- after they phone in their weak SOS season -- won't be a conference that showcases Louisville. Because like all the OTHER former Big East teams with any clout, they left that midmajorey conference behind. Six of the eight teams remaining in the AAC were rooted in C-USA. And of the other two, UConn was D1-AA in the early aughts and Temple had spent some time in the MAC. There is absolutely no legitimate claim that the AAC is a stronger league than the old Big East.

• Adirondack Cougar Loon Lake, NY
    April 29, 2014 6:35 a.m.

I wonder what would happen if the the best AAC team available is one the three we will have played during the season?

It might not be a top tier bowl, but I wonder what the payout is? And even more important is the exposure to recruiting in another important State. As Utah continues to struggle their recruiting footprint is static at best and more likely shrinking.

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    April 28, 2014 11:39 p.m.

In the spring/ summer of 2011 when Utah went to the Pac-12 and BYU went indy, I said Utah would become the doormats of the Pac-12 and everybody would soon forget all about the Utes. Check those off, they've already happened. Summer of 2012, I gave Kyle 3 more years until he gets the ax. If another losing season occurs, check that off too. As a BYU fan I would much rather be in a power conference like Utah, but I wouldn't trade our position with Utah now. This years schedule is bad for BYU, but it is a schedule they can win 10 to 11 games with their bowl game. If they win 10-11 games they will be in the top 25 at the end of the year. They will be in the top 20 pre-season for 2015 and with a much tougher schedule, be able to make some noise nationally. The schedule continues to be solid after that. Recruiting arc is going up for BYU and down for Utah. By 2015 Ute fans will wish they were in BYU's shoes.

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    April 28, 2014 10:26 p.m.

PAC12Fan

"Twist it as you will but this is a tier 3 bowl game..."

says the jealous fan of a team whose junior class has never played in anything besides the potato chip bowl.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    April 28, 2014 10:15 p.m.

Yawn.

Remind how thrilling it is to end every season playing a power conference "rival" that hasn't finished with a winning record in almost a decade.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    April 28, 2014 9:39 p.m.

"Utah was just a couple plays away in our FIRST year in the prestigious Pac 12 from playing in a power conference title game."

And trending southward ever since...

4-5, 3-6, 2-7 LOL.

Greased skids and all... and then came the mighty Buffs. I never laughed so hard in my life.

And then two years in a row bowl-less.

And you Utesies are here smack talking about bowl games when we know you would have jumped at the chance to play in Laramie in late January had the Cowboys had a bowl game for you.

But then again when you lose more than you win you're home for the holidays. Right?

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    April 28, 2014 9:09 p.m.

No payout for the Miami Bowl has been announced. I expect it to be in the range of the Las Vegas or the Military Bowl at $1 million. The non-BCS bowls pay between $325,000 (Boise) and $4.5 million (Capital One). The Poinsetta Bowl is only $500,00. The new Bahams Bowl would be a kick to attend. I could be convinced to take another trip to Nasau.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    April 28, 2014 8:22 p.m.

BYU probably likely has played in more bowl locations than any other team at this point. I was thrilled to hear this announcement though was HOPING that the Bahama Bowl would swing our way instead.

And for those naysayers who keep touting that an undefeated BYU can't get into the playoffs lets first see if the team can win its game against UConn. Get that game then focus on the next. I am sure if the team wins out they will be rewarded highly.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    April 28, 2014 8:05 p.m.

Twist it as you will but this is a tier 3 bowl game. Win the easy games (7), win a semi tough game and lose the four tough games will get you to Miami. The suspense of the tough opponent will be really exciting. It keeps the fans happy and the coach gets a raise and another year. Easy road!

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    April 28, 2014 7:19 p.m.

And BYU was a couple plays away from splitting 2-2 with the Utes the last 4 years. However, they were far more than a couple plays away from getting more offensive yards than the Utes.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    April 28, 2014 7:13 p.m.

@Rockwell
    "Miami Beach Bowl > coach potato bowl"

When my sister mispronounced Utes a few years ago she said Utz, like the potato chip. Maybe she's a top bowl prognosticator. (Well if my school is not going to win, I might as well at least maintain a decent sense of humor about it...)

• Riley Mendenhall Provo, UT
    April 28, 2014 7:06 p.m.

BYU will only play 3 power conference teams in 2014.

Utah gets to play 10 great teams next year, so playing a horrible schedule with a prize of an AAC team in a bowl is something they are not jealous of.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    April 28, 2014 6:14 p.m.

Tajemnica,

I am not a "true"Cougar fan?

Yeah, sure, and you don't truly love your husband because you don't agree with every single decision he makes, right?

I haven't heard such a silly argument in years!

• Talon9 Oceanside, CA
    April 28, 2014 6:11 p.m.

@ Ken Lee "BYU has decent fans" That's part of your argument? Guess what? Notre Dame has decent fans, Wisconsin, Nebraska, most schools have decent fans and frankly most Utah fans are decent people. And many not most LDS members outside of Utah really aren't in love with BYU as much as people think. If BYU comes to town its something to do. As for an exciting brand of football? When did running the ball all the time constitute an exciting brand of football? Ken I look forward to seeing you when Utah comes to Pasadena to play UCLA. Taysom is a great athlete hopefully for your sake and BYU he can complete more passes this year and make it an exciting brand like it once was - as for Utah's butt-kicking in the Pac-12 you do realize that Utah was in most of their games last year? Cheers.

• Levin Reno, NV
    April 28, 2014 6:06 p.m.

Regarding the Miami Beach Bowl itself: Playing in a baseball stadium -- not again. Hopefully the field set up can be something better than AT&T Park for the Fight Hunger Bowl.

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    April 28, 2014 6:07 p.m.

The ONLY football news that s/b discussed in late April is regarding the upcoming NFL draft.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    April 28, 2014 5:59 p.m.

Uncle Rico

Rutgers, Maryland and Colorado are proof positive that Utah's invitation to the PAC 12 was based entirely on television market size and had absolutely nothing to do with the quality of Utah's football program.

Frankly, when it comes to bowl games, except for the playoffs, Orange, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta, and Rose Bowls, I'm much more concerned about having an interesting place to visit, than I am about the "quality" of the bowl opponent.

I see BYU's 2014 season as a stepping stone to a breakout season in 2015.

In the meantime, what's not to like about spending bowl week in Miami?

It's certainly a lot better than spending it in El Paso or Albuquerque, regardless of the bowl opponent.

btw, rematches happen in bowls all the time, especially if the first game was interesting - see BYU-UCLA 2007, Alabama-LSU 2011.

• Talon9 Oceanside, CA
    April 28, 2014 5:59 p.m.

The likely bowl match up is SMU vs. BYU. 20 Year Anniversary of the 1984 Holiday Bowl Game. None of the Big 5 conferences are going to sign a bowl contract with BYU. They're going to keep the money to themselves.

• Ken Lee Pasadena, CA
    April 28, 2014 5:47 p.m.

Look Ute fans, you had two good wins last year. Stanford and BYU. Both teams losing finished ranked higher in ALL the polls than you did. Spoiler teams can get up and ambush better teams once or twice a year. Playing BYU is so exciting and important for the UTES they accomplished that far too often over the past 10 years. But, BYU has been ranked at the end of the season higher more often than the UTES since 2000.

BYU has the national reputation and ESPN contract. Would ESPN ever give the UTES their own contract if the situation were reversed? Really? BYU has international following, it's own DirecTV channel, bigger stadium, decent people as fans, games and fans all over the country, and play an exciting style of ball. See Taysom's record setting rushing vs. Texas? Keep taking the butt-kicking in PAC12 games and pretending other teams that beat you makes you better in some weird way. Realistically, will the UTES ever be ranked again? I doubt it. But you have a good strength of schedule and lose routinely to other teams that ARE good. Here's to spoiling someone's season this year!

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    April 28, 2014 5:34 p.m.

Naval Vet

Re: The AAC is basically the same conference that Utah played in the 2004 Fiesta Bowl, only stronger in football.

Yep.

#20 Louisville and #25 Central Florida were both better in 2013 than the #67 Pittsburgh team Utah beat in the Fiesta Bowl in 2004.

You need to take off the crimson-colored glasses once in a while long enough to see reality.

*Sagarin Ratings

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    April 28, 2014 5:28 p.m.

Re: TrueBlue

You do realize that Louisville and Rutgers are no longer in the AAC, 2013 was their last year.

BYU will be playing one of these teams:
    Cincinnati, UConn, Houston, Memphis, SMU, South Florida, Temple, UCF, East Carolina, Tulane, Tulsa

BYU already plays UConn, Houston, and UCF in the regular season.

They do not like to have rematches in bowl games, so BYU will be playing:
    Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU, South Florida, Temple, East Carolina, Tulane, Tulsa

2014 BYU will play 4 games against the AAC.

• Copacetic Logan, UT
    April 28, 2014 5:23 p.m.

@ KVN/Hoff want 0-4 against UTAH:

You write that "I just don't get why a powerhouse team like BYU can't get a bowl contract with any of the 60+ power conference schools?"

And I don't get why a powerhouse conference team like Utah can't get a bowl contract with any of the 60+ power conference schools.

Wait... yes, I do. It's for the same reason they can't get any kind of bowl contract whatsoever... even against' a division II team. A team has to first have a winning record. And we're now having to start stretching our memories to remember when Utah last had one of those. It's multiple years and counting.

It would actually be kind of nice if Utah could ever play in a bowl game again. Then their fans wouldn't be left with nothing to do but pay homage to BYU by criticizing the fact that they actually do still play in bowl games. Any bowl game at anywhere against anyone beats no bowl game whatsoever.

I guarantee Utah would've been thrilled to be able to play a bowl game in Miami against an AAC team or anyone else.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    April 28, 2014 5:21 p.m.

TrueBlue

#20 > #26
    #25 > #29
    #50 > #55
    #67 < #62
    #100 < #94

And let's not forget, the Big East conference was so weak in 2004, that #62 Pittsburgh got the BCS auto-bid after finishing in a 4-way tie for first in a 7-team conference.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    April 28, 2014 5:04 p.m.

Mexican Ute

BYU's #38 2013 SOS was STRONGER that ANY schedule Utah had EVER played, prior to 2013, including Utah's #41 2012, #56 2008 and #67 2004 SOSs.

And no, Utah wasn't invited to the PAC 12 because of their two BCS wins; the Utes were invited because they were the best athletic program that wasn't religiously affiliated in one of the two largest television markets within the PAC 12 footprint.

• Copacetic Logan, UT
    April 28, 2014 5:01 p.m.

@ 311ute:

Yes, I can say with complete confidence that Miami would be a great location to go play a bowl game in December... against any team from any conference. It will definitely be against an opponent with a winning record. And it unquestionably beats sitting around SLC through that entire month watching other teams play in bowl games.

And a definite "yes" to your question about independence being a good thing. Unlike Utah, it allows BYU to choose schedules that aren't way over their heads. What good is playing in a conference where you can't be competitive enough to even finish with a winning record for years at a time? And winning just a single road conference game in 3 years is actually quite pathetic. So yes, the benefits of independence is much more appealing than that scenario.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    April 28, 2014 4:58 p.m.

This is sweet pretty much everyone watches us in bowl games pretty much more than anyone else is watched.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    April 28, 2014 4:54 p.m.

Naval Vet

The Big East of 2004 had teams like

#26 Boston College, #29 West Virginia, #55 Pittsburgh, #62 Syracuse, and #94 Rutgers, and vying for the Fiesta Bowl.

Meanwhile, the AAC of 2013 had teams like

#20 Louisville, #25 Central Florida, #50 Houston, #67 Cincinnati, and #100 Rutgers vying for the Fiesta Bowl.

Any objective observer can clearly see that the AAC of 2013 was STRONGER than the Big East of 2004, especially at the top where #20 Louisville AND #25 Central Florida were BOTH better than #26 Boston College.

btw, the AAC champion of 2013 beat their Big 5 Fiesta Bowl opponent, Baylor.

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    April 28, 2014 4:54 p.m.

Pay attention recruits. Can't make this up.

• Copacetic Logan, UT
    April 28, 2014 4:48 p.m.

@ ekute:

You write that "Their football association with the AAC is comparable to their basketball association with the WCC."

And yet we all now know that a very average WCC team can and has beaten Utah by double digits after BYU beat that same team 3 times in a row. Now that truly warrants a real LOL.

All that proves is that Utah is in way over their heads in their conference affiliation. How quickly some people seem to forget that they shouldn't be throwing any stones at all. Everyone now knows that Utah's house is made of glass that is very breakable.

When you find yourself in a hole, ekute, the smart thing to do is quit digging.

• Darren Rowe Heber City, UT
    April 28, 2014 4:43 p.m.

Tajemnica

You're right I don't read very many utah articles, because I really don't care about what is going on with teams that don't do anything significant on a national (or conference) level.

When I do read some of the bigger utah stories, however, I find very few BYU fans commenting.

You, on the other hand, cared enough about what's going on in Provo to both read and comment.

• Darren Rowe Heber City, UT
    April 28, 2014 4:40 p.m.

Naval Vet

"You should try actually READING what those Ute fans are saying. Those comments are not reflective of a fanbase that reveres you too highly."

Obviously the utes don't regard byu highly, they're ute fans. What they say about our program has nothing to do with how good or bad we actually are. It's just derogatory garbage.

As far as my comment on BYU fans never commenting on ute articles, I will admit that it was a bit of an exaggeration. However, it is a heck of a lot less than the number of utes who comment on BYU articles. That is fact, look at any articles for the two teams, and please don't even try to argue with that one. You probably will, which will just be another ute comment on a BYU article AGAIN.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    April 28, 2014 4:36 p.m.

Sorry fellow Cougar fans, but I just can't get excited about this bowl game.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    April 28, 2014 4:35 p.m.

Chris B

LOL at your spin.

Utah was completely DOMINATED at home in the first half by a team that hadn't won a road game in over 3 years, and then the Utes made the final score somewhat respectful by scoring a very late touchdown with 54 seconds left in the game to draw within 17-14.

Besides Utah, the only other PAC South team to finish with a winning record was USC, which was ineligible.

The truth is, Utah had a gift-wrapped PAC South title there for the taking a U weren't good enough to beat a 10-loss team at home.

• Yankees24 SLC, UT
    April 28, 2014 4:22 p.m.

Utah Fans,

Any bowl beats no bowling. So yes, I'd gladly take the Miami Beach Bowl over sitting on my couch watching that bowl game. Go Cougs!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 28, 2014 3:55 p.m.

DeepBlue:

"The AAC is basically the same conference that Utah played in the 2004 Fiesta Bowl, only stronger in football..."

Nope. You made that up. The Big East of 2004 had teams like Boston College, Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt, and West Virginia, vying for the Fiesta Bowl. Now all those teams had fled to the ACC, BigTen, and Big 12. In their stead was a backfill of 10 C-USA teams. There's a REASON why they lost their "Power Conference" status (not to mention their "Big East" name). So no, not stronger. Weaker.

Extremely weaker.

Don't be so frantic and emotional.

• Mexican Ute mexico, 00
    April 28, 2014 3:48 p.m.

Utah has had two special seasons in the past decade. Those two special seasons EARNED them the privilege to play in the Pac 12. And though Utah has struggled the last pair of seasons, they have been getting more competitive. They beat Stanford, came within a touchdown of beating UCLA, was leading Arizona State in the 4th Quarter, and played well for three quarters against Oregon. Oh yeah, they beat BYU, for the fourth time in a row.

The 54-10 was hilarious to watch too by the way. Almost as if the BYU defense was expecting Jordan Wynn to pass the ball like Jake Heaps, rockets down below. Wynn just touch passed all night long and White was running in daylight.

BYU hasn't had any special seasons since I was born. Their NC was oh so long ago.

And BYU with Utah's schedule the past couple of years, would NEVER have made a bowl game. Heck, I don't think they even get to 5 wins either last year or the year before.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 28, 2014 3:46 p.m.

CHS 85:

"So they don't actually have to earn a bowl bid?"

Nope! They just have to "phone it in". Have you seen the cougars' schedule? Weak SOS!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 28, 2014 3:42 p.m.

Darren Rowe:

"All the comments from utah fans on this article shows that BYU is still the premier program in the state."

You should try actually READING what those Ute fans are saying. Those comments are not reflective of a fanbase that reveres you too highly. The Miami Bowl matches the AAC with a rotating trio of "peer" institutions: the MAC, the Sun Belt, and the Y. How prestigious. [*snicker*]

"However, if you look at a utah article, you almost never find BYU fans commenting."

Not even remotely accurate.

"Just goes to show that we have moved on and focus more on the national picture, while ute fans still compare themselves to BYU 24/7."

That can't be true. Remember? Utah is your "Super Bowl", and multiple other cougs had remarked about how beating Utah was your "biggest motivation". That sure doesn't sound like you'd moved on. WE have! We don't care that you'd been omitted from our 2014 schedule, but Y fans are still lamenting the snub. Just look at pg 1 of this comment board: Caleb said, "...it would have been cool to...to play the Utes...". No U fans said anything likewise.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 28, 2014 3:41 p.m.

Chris:
    Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades...and when all the best players are eligible. USC was far and away the best team in the south that year, as evidenced by how the south division was served up for Oregon to feast on. Luckily Utah lost to Colorado and saved themselves the embarrassment of getting butchered by the Ducks. It is a little unfortunate though, considering it was probably Utah's best shot at doing anything meaningful in the PAC...now the big dogs are barking again, and the darkness is closing in on Utah ever being in contention for anything other than water boy, placeholder, schedule padder, etc. Truly sad.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 28, 2014 3:18 p.m.

311ute

"People even mentioning the playoff for BYU have no ground to stand, just look at last years bowl game vs Washington."

Since when is last season's bowl game the end-all-be-all final judgement?

BYU is 4-5 versus Washington; Utah is 0-8.

Utah fans trying to claim that their twin flash-in-the-pan seasons are an indication of "special seasons" to come have no ground to stand on.

The comparative history of the two programs indicates that BYU has MUCH better odds of having a break-through season to compete for a national championship, after all, of the two programs, BYU is the only one that has actually won a national championship.

And it doesn't end there:

AP Top 25 Finishes
    BYU 17; Bronco 4
    Utah 5; Kyle 2

11+ Win Seasons
    BYU 11; Bronco 3
    Utah 2; Kyle 1

Heisman Trophies, National Individual Awards, National Hall of Fame Players
    BYU has won them all, most of them several times
    Utah has never won a national individual player award of any kind

• dww722 North Salt Lake, UT
    April 28, 2014 3:14 p.m.

Unfortunately, I have to say I'm extremely jealous of the Utes position in the PAC-12. The Cougs did all the heavy football lifting over the years and have twice the overall athletic program yet Utah got the invite. Such a bummer! Now all we have to look forward to are second rate mid major bowl games every year. Hurts to say it but Independence is nowhere close to PAC-12 membership.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 28, 2014 3:09 p.m.

true blue,

So yes, that gives us reason to believe we can have a special season.

When was the last special season for you guys?

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 28, 2014 3:08 p.m.

Btw Utah odds for the NC are 1/300...glad I'm on the right side of that fence.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    April 28, 2014 3:06 p.m.

All kidding aside, why did ESPN set up BYU for this particular bowl? I would think something could be worked out to have BYU at least be an option in any number of power conference bowl games based on their BSC ranking. Certainly any number of matchups would be more competitive than anything the AAC can serve up.

I wonder if BYU hasn't become a victim of their own national fan base. ESPN just figures that BYU will bring enough fans to a new bowl to make it economically viable even if the game itself proves to be a lackluster contest.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 28, 2014 3:04 p.m.

Elmer Fudd

Remind us which bowl games Utah qualified for by beating BYU - one game does not a season make, no matter how much you try to spin it.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 28, 2014 3:01 p.m.

311ute:
    As a BYU fan I would be dishonest if I said I don't miss the conference rivalries and the fight for a conference championship. That being said, I don't really agree with you in terms of what you have to look forward to in the post season. Whether you go to the Sun Bowl, or Holiday Bowl, or Miami Bowl doesn't really matter in CFB. This has been the problem with CFB for a long time.

If you're not in the championship than what exactly are YOU playing for? If you want to get excited about a "better" bowl in El Paso so be it, but is it really anything special if you aren't playing for it all (and to be clear I don't believe Utah will ever win the PAC12 let alone get into a 4 team playoff)? The NFL post season is exciting and something to look forward to, CFB not so much unless you're one of those fortunate 4 teams. In that regard there's no difference between Utah & BYU except I'd rather watch a bowl in Miami than El Paso or staying home.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    April 28, 2014 2:57 p.m.

311ute

"My point is that when Utah has a special season, they will be rewarded as such."

What makes you think Utah will ever have a "special season" in the PAC? Arizona has been a member of the PAC since the late 70's, and the Wildcats are still waiting for their first Rose Bowl appearance.

Even in the WAC/MWC the Utes only had a couple of "special seasons" in the last half century.

• Fred Vader Oklahoma City, OK
    April 28, 2014 2:45 p.m.

311Ute said: "Vegas has BYU a 1/100 shot at winning the NC"

So you're telling me there's a chance!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    April 28, 2014 2:46 p.m.

This article has nothing to do with the utes.

Envy flows.

• Tajemnica West Valley, Utah
    April 28, 2014 2:41 p.m.

@ Elmer Fudd

The season is 12 games not 1. Cougar fans have lost to the utes one game each year for the last 4 years yes, but to Cougar fans that game doesn't make or break their season each year like it does for utah fans. So rather than harking on BYU fans for losing to the utes yet again, why don't you worry about the rest of the games each season? That's why Cougar fans bring it up. They realize the season as a whole is more important than one game each year against a rival.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    April 28, 2014 2:30 p.m.

I hope we can make this bowl game since it will be difficult with such a hard schedule.

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    April 28, 2014 2:19 p.m.

@ killarney

"Actually they do; BYU has to finish with at least a break-even record, something the Utes have only managed to do once since joining the PAC 12"

How come BYU has yet to beat Utah since joining the independence conference? You Cougie fans love to point at our two consecutive losing seasons and yet you still haven't beaten Utah since 2009.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    April 28, 2014 2:13 p.m.

And for those that insist on asking, it is not better than being in the PAC, but it is better than being in the PAC and staying home.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    April 28, 2014 2:13 p.m.

311ute
    Reno, NV

"As a Utah fan, I love to hear and discuss what's going on with our biggest rival. Why wouldn't I?"

For that refreshing bit of honesty, you deserve to be treated with respect.

"Please stop with the "why is a ute fan on here commenting on a byu article" and visa versa."

Well, you see, when Utah fans comment on BYU articles, that's fine. When they make comparative analysis, that's fine too. When they compare something BYU to something Utah, even that is fine, but that's when you get the "your dog may have beat my dog head to head, but your dog still stayed home for Christmas" talk.

So when you say, it's not about Utah, I agree. It wasn't. Until Utah fans made it about Utah.

This thing is neither good nor bad, except as in comparison to something else. Is it better than being in the MWC? Yes. Is it better than being in the PAC? No, but that isn't an option, so why ask?

• The Moose Southern, UT
    April 28, 2014 2:09 p.m.

Deep Blue is right. It is the AAC who should be whining.

• 311ute Reno, NV
    April 28, 2014 1:51 p.m.

Deep Blue,

Wishful thinking? You are completely missing the point. My point is that when Utah has a special season, they will be rewarded as such. BYU's season on the other hand, is already written. They'll win a few games and go to this bowl; and in future years go to the San Diego Poinsettia Bowl vs (most likely) a Mtn West opponent. People even mentioning the playoff for BYU have no ground to stand, just look at last years bowl game vs Washington. Wishful thinking is entertaining the idea that BYU has a shot at making the playoff. Vegas has BYU a 1/100 shot at winning the NC and Utah 1/300. Do you think the fans of teams with the same odds (Tennessee, Iowa, Miss. St., and Miami) are talking National Title? I think not, it's wishful thinking do so. It's a total pipe dream. Instead, they are talking about the possibility of competing for a conference championship.

I wish the people would see the big picture of this bowl affiliation, instead of blindly regurgitating the comment that "at least BYU is going to a bowl game."

I digress, good luck this year cougars.

• killarney Lincoln Park, IL
    April 28, 2014 1:37 p.m.

CHS 85

"So they don't actually have to earn a bowl bid?"

Actually they do; BYU has to finish with at least a break-even record, something the Utes have only managed to do once since joining the PAC 12.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    April 28, 2014 1:32 p.m.

@311, the reason we watch and cheer for our team is because there is a chance for a great season. It's pretty apparent BYU has a better chance of having a great yr. this yr. compared to your team. No? Do we still need to rehash the plusses and minuses of independence? Seriously. Let's do it again for those who have missed it so many times. Benefits: greater exposure and visibility. Fans everywhere in the country able to see all the game. Travel. The opportunity for Y fans/church members to cheer for their team when a regional game comes around. Great opportunity for players to play near their home towns. This also spreads the recruiting net from the exposure. Interesting/varied schedule. It really does look intriguing in the future, similar to last yr. The drawbacks: no conference championship. No built in schedule. No more than 1 bowl tie in. If BYU has 2-3 yrs. of 11-1 or 10-2 seasons, there should be quite a bit of interest and momentum and better bowl opportunities will likely open up. Keep your chins up cougar fans. This really could be a fun year. It will be fun to go to Miami this yr.

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    April 28, 2014 1:27 p.m.

54iq

"Who in the world is the AAC?"

Connecticut, of the AAC, won the NCAA tournament championship in 2014.

Thanks for playing.

-------------

The AAC is basically the same conference that Utah played in the 2004 Fiesta Bowl, only stronger in football, and obviously, still pretty strong in basketball.

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    April 28, 2014 1:17 p.m.

311ute

"At least the Utes have a fighting chance to compete for a division and a conference championship."

Wishful thinking.

Let's face it, even with USC ineligible, the Utes weren't capable of winning the PAC South against the weakest collection of teams the PAC South may see for decades.

------------------

As an Independent, it would be very difficult for BYU to set up a tiered bowl arrangement, but being able to plan ahead to go to San Diego, San Francisco or Miami to watch a bowl game isn't all that bad either - really, not much different than planning to spend bowl week in Las Vegas, if the Cougars didn't qualify for a BCS game, only now, it's the playoffs.

Regardless, it's light years ahead of spending bowl week on the couch.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    April 28, 2014 1:15 p.m.

So they don't actually have to earn a bowl bid?

• 311ute Reno, NV
    April 28, 2014 1:09 p.m.

Please stop with the "why is a ute fan on here commenting on a byu article" and visa versa. For those of us that grew up in Utah, we are intrigued by what's going on with both programs. Especially now as the landscapes for both programs have changed dramatically the past few years. The Little Brother/Big Brother stuff is nonsense. As a Utah fan, I love to hear and discuss with what's going on with our biggest rival. Why wouldn't I? BYU fans are curious and intrigued with what Utah is doing and Utah fans are curious to what BYU is doing. BYU and Utah will always be rivals so the curiosity and discussion/trash talk will always be there.

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    April 28, 2014 1:08 p.m.

ekute

How so?

BYU has played in the NCAA tournament 3 of the 4 seasons they've been in the WCC.

Utah hasn't played in the NCAA tournament since 2008, long before the Utes were invited to join the PAC.

So please explain how BYU's association with the WCC or Utah's association with the PAC has in any way affected each team's NCAA tournament chances.

It's laughable how far jealous Utah fans have to stretch to draw invalid point.

btw, reading between the lines, BYU's Miami Beach Bowl "commitment" may only be for the 2014 season. BYU already has commitments to other bowls beyond 2014, the Poinsettia Bowl in 2015, for example.

• Tajemnica West Valley, Utah
    April 28, 2014 12:53 p.m.

@ Darren Rowe

Clearly you haven't read many utah articles.

• 311ute Reno, NV
    April 28, 2014 12:52 p.m.

BYU fans, is this a good thing? Seriously, how much fun is it knowing that regardless of your season (11-1 or 6-6) that the script for this season is already written? Face it, you're not going to the playoff (neither is Utah so there). At least the Utes have a fighting chance to compete for a division and a conference championship. Is it likely? No, not this year. But the reason why we watch the games is because we don't know what will happen. It gives Utah fans hope. There's a chance that Utah could be playing for a divisional title, just look at three years ago when they could have won the division (USC sanctions) but blew it vs Colorado. It sucked losing but the drama of it was awesome. BYU?? No drama, no conference title shot, no meaningful games in November. So my question remains......Is this bowl affiliation a good thing? Is Independence?

• maq West Valley, Utah
    April 28, 2014 12:52 p.m.

@54-10

What in the world is the Salt Lake City Bowl? Is that the spring scrimmage game up on the hill - the only game outside the regular season the utes play in? Might as well start calling it that.

• Darren Rowe Heber City, UT
    April 28, 2014 12:50 p.m.

Utah fans will throw all the "54-10, Pac-12, Women's Gymnastics, Max Hall Hates Me" comments out there for why utah is better, but they are obviously still attached to BYU by commenting on these articles.

• Tajemnica West Valley, Utah
    April 28, 2014 12:48 p.m.

@ Y ask Y

Then you aren't actually a true BYU fan. True fans stick with the team no matter what and support them in good and bad and regardless of where/who they play. You are describing a bandwagoner. Only a fan when things are good. I take it you aren't a Chicago Cubs fan either?

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 28, 2014 12:44 p.m.

Who in the world is the AAC ?

Rise and shout.

• BlackDiamond Provo, UT
    April 28, 2014 12:38 p.m.

Go on Ute fans, first to commend. Sure love reading U give us advice on bowl games. Something that you all don't know how its like.

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    April 28, 2014 12:34 p.m.

borox23

Not all BYU fans would like to swap places with Utah. Fans outside of Utah appreciate the diverse geographic locations allowed by Independence. This year fans in Florida have two opportunities to drive to games. I believe the previous visit was in 2000. When have Utah fans in Florida ever been able to drive to a game? I have enjoyed the games in Texas. Houston last year was one of the most entertaining games I have ever attended.

Utah is in a great conference, and they had a great game against Stanford last year. But fans outside of Utah Valley prefer the easy access to televised games and the ability to drive to a game once a year. I think Utah fans outside of their conference footprint would agree.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    April 28, 2014 12:35 p.m.

When was the last time BYU went to a real New Years Day bowl? It's been a while. All these little no-name bowls are small potatoes but perhaps BYU has become small potatoes as a school now so maybe this is for the best.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    April 28, 2014 12:30 p.m.

Bowl game talk already? The season hasn't even started! I sold my season tickets, and good thing, too. Why would I want to travel clear across the country for a no-account bowl game against a nobody AAC team?

I really don't like Independence. Being a Coug fan just keeps getting worse.

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    April 28, 2014 12:31 p.m.

Do utie fans even remember what a bowl game is? to think that the ute junior players will be 0-4 going to a bowl game and breaking in their second coach in just the 4 short years playing on the hill..

lol

• maq West Valley, Utah
    April 28, 2014 12:29 p.m.

Miami vs. Salt Lake City in the dead of winter? I'd play a peewee football team in Miami before I'd be stuck watching TV in Salt Lake.

• Tajemnica West Valley, Utah
    April 28, 2014 12:21 p.m.

BYU's best shot this year at the playoff consists of a few criteria.
    #1 They need to be undefeated (obviously)
    #2 They need to demolish the competition
    #3 Some of these weak schools need to have miracle seasons themselves
    #4 They other top 10 schools in the country at the end of the season need to have multiple losses themselves. 2+ losses from strong teams from strong conferences such as the SEC and at least 1 loss for every other top ten team.

BYU has a shot but their chances are low. About the same as BYU's basketball team winning the NCAA tournament this past year. You have to be in the big dance to have a shot at it. Doesn't make it likely but the mathematical possibility is there. You CANNOT win the tournament without first being invited and BYU football CANNOT make the playoffs if they fail in any one of these four categories, 2 of which they have no control over.

That being said, its better to go to a bowl game, any bowl game, than to sit on the couch watching and Miami is not a bad city to be playing in even if the bowl game itself is weak.

• ekute Layton, UT
    April 28, 2014 12:19 p.m.

Their football association with the aac is comparable to their basketball association with the wcc. lol.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    April 28, 2014 12:18 p.m.

311ute
    Reno, NV
    @ Truth

This isn't about Utah. Utah 311ute
    Reno, NV

"This isn't about Utah." And yet, how many Uyah commentators couldn't wait to get on board an article that has nothing to do with them?

"Again, this isn't about Utah. Utah is fine. When they have a special team and have a special year, they will be rewarded as such. When BYU has a special year, they will continue to go to these unimportant bowls."

So, last week, Athlon interprets BYU's "weak schedule" as an outside chance at a playoff spot, but you say no, no, Nannette. So many voices, who to believe, who to believe?

This bowl association is bad news for cougar nation. I disagree. No bowl association would be bad news. Some bowl associations are better than others. There could be better bowl associations for BYU, but at present, there are not. As Utah fans (frequently) remind us, win some big games, the picture will get even better.

I can live with that. Why can't U?

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 28, 2014 12:16 p.m.

Have fun in Miami, Cougars! You will be bowl eligible this year and could even go undefeated, but you will play in Miami, even with an undefeated season. Your SOS will keep you out of the playoff and all the other bowls are locked up.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    April 28, 2014 11:59 a.m.

Santa came early this year for my kids--looks like they are going to Disneyworld in December.

• 311ute Reno, NV
    April 28, 2014 11:52 a.m.

@ Truth

This isn't about Utah. Utah has performed poorly in the P12 and have not gone to a bowl the past two years because of it. We know this already. The subject matter of this article is the new bowl game in Miami. My point remains that BYU is taking another step in being associated with the lower level conferences. With the NCAA agreeing to let the big 5 have more autonomy, this bowl association is another step towards BYU being left out.

Again, this isn't about Utah. Utah is fine. When they have a special team and have a special year, they will be rewarded as such. When BYU has a special year, they will continue to go to these unimportant bowls. With SOS being a huge factor in the National Championship Playoff, an undefeated BYU is not a lock to get in.

This bowl association is bad news for cougar nation.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    April 28, 2014 11:49 a.m.

Silly u from the hill. Still smelling those dead roses?

The title says it was confirmed by espn but at the bottom article, "Check back here for updates on this developing story". Nothing has been confirmed as of yet. If BYU do take it, then they are going backward.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    April 28, 2014 11:46 a.m.

Challenge to the Foe

It's a given that every bowl contract going forward will have an out clause in case one of the participants is invited to the playoffs.

• Hope Shue-Topins Miami , FL
    April 28, 2014 11:45 a.m.

As someone who will be impacted locally from this game. All I can say is...boring...Can't committee members get a 'cool' college for its inaugural bowl game? Guess not. Instead, they had to settle for a school that was named most vanilla college in America 5 years running.

• borox23 Payson, UT
    April 28, 2014 11:46 a.m.

Lets be honest, we would all be happy to be where Utah is in the Pac-12 rather than ripping it up against sub-par competition in independence world in 2014. Jokes about them not being bowl eligible just reflect all the Jr High level competition we beat up on to get the 6 wins. Remember Cougar fans? We don't beat Utah on a regular basis! This upcoming year is going to look pretty rosy but what do 10+ wins mean when they are against the likes of UCONN, Savannah State, UNLV, Middle Tennessee, etc? And another bowl win!!!! AAC, where is that, who is that and what will it mean if anything?...beat the sucky teams, some of the decent ones, lose to the good ones, another typical year. Miami Beach Bowl against AAC, yawn.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    April 28, 2014 11:43 a.m.

I just don't get why "power conference" fans are so obsessed with BYU's bowl contracts.

Could it be that you're re desperately trying to asuage the angst of spending every bowl week watching from the comfort of your couch?

• Challenge to the Foe Fargo, ND
    April 28, 2014 11:40 a.m.

What a great location for BYU to play its bowl game! BYU fans travel better than any fan base, so it should be a packed house!

Although I think this is the year that BYU gets a playoff spot, which means they would have to break contract with the Miami Beach Bowl. I'm not the only one that thinks so either. An Athlon article from last week pretty much says BYU has a shot at a playoff spot. So excited for that!

Go Cougars!

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    April 28, 2014 11:39 a.m.

It's laughable how quickly jealous Utah fans flock to an article about BYU's next bowl game.

Miami Beach Bowl > coach potato bowl

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    April 28, 2014 11:35 a.m.

311ute

I'm sure BYU has an out clause should the Cougars get an invitation to the championship playoff, unlike the Utes, who will once again prove just how meaningless being a PAC 12 cellar dweller and watching bowl week from the comfort of their couch really is.

• KVN/Hoff want 0-4 against UTAH Ogden, UT
    April 28, 2014 11:34 a.m.

I just don't get why a powerhouse team like byu with ESPN loving them can't get a bowl contract with any of the 60+ power conference schools?

• tyler11385 Springville, UT
    April 28, 2014 11:34 a.m.

@Caleb

That would be fun to play Utah in a bowl game, but first they have to become eligible. You might be asking for too much.

• Ken Lee Pasadena, CA
    April 28, 2014 11:31 a.m.

And the Utes will be playing in the same bowl game they have graced over the last few years…

• ArgoFY Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 28, 2014 11:32 a.m.

"The Miami Beach Bowl will match an American Athletic Conference team against an opponent from either Conference USA, the Sun Belt Conference or the Mid-American Conference."

Yeah, that seems about right. byu has to maintain consistency with their pathetically weak schedule this year. Best of luck to the cougs, although they probably won't be needing it.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    April 28, 2014 11:31 a.m.

BYU's bowl locations since going Independent - Dallas, San Diego, San Francisco, Miami.

Utah's bowl locations since joining the PAC - El Paso

Need we say more?

• caleb in new york Glen Cove, NY
    April 28, 2014 11:29 a.m.

that is a fun location. But it would have been cool to have a chance to play the Utes in a bowl game.

• Rose Bowl call yet? Salt Lake City, UT
    April 28, 2014 11:25 a.m.

b12

Why do U spend bowl week sitting on the couch whining about where BYU is playing their bowl game?

• 311ute Reno, NV
    April 28, 2014 11:25 a.m.

BYU is continuing to distance itself from the Power 5 by agreeing to play an AAC team in this years Miami Bowl.

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    April 28, 2014 11:17 a.m.

Why don't you guys set up a bowl contract with the Big 12 or the Big 10 or the ACC or the SEC?

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    April 28, 2014 11:17 a.m.

Sounds fun.

We all knew it was only a matter of time before BYU's next bowl game was announced.

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    April 28, 2014 11:15 a.m.

Game against an ACC opponent?

That might be good.

Oh wait, AAC, not ACC.

So 1 loss and byu only has to look forward to an AAC opponent?

Couldn't ESPN get you a bowl game against any of 60+ possible power conference teams?

Nope.