Utah

Easy wins at GOP convention for congressmen, Love

Comments

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    April 30, 2014 4:35 p.m.

@DN Subscriber
    "We care about their policies on the issues. Mia Love is right on just about every issue"

Her opponents care about her policies too... we just consider her wrong on just about every issue.

@Riverton Cougar
    "I'm telling you that low-information voters exist in large numbers (especially in very large cities)and they overwhelmingly vote Democrat."

If Democrats cleaned up among low-information voters we'd have totally dominated the Mississippi vote. While we're on the subject of identity politics, do you want to explain how Romney got around 90% of the primary vote in a 4 person field in Utah in 2008 when he didn't even end up becoming the nominee?

• Justmythoughts Provo, UT
    April 28, 2014 3:28 p.m.

I was disappointed in the vote by the Republican delegates to support partisan school board elections. Good grief....do we really need MORE politics in our schools? I get that people who are Republican or Democrat have a "philosophy" that is helpful in making decisions but come on people...there is enough philosophy that comes out of the state legislature that surely we don't need to hammer that in our school board contests. Generally, people who are elected to school boards are trying to provide the best education possible at a usually very low cost. The money comes from the state and federal governments with incredible strings attached and hoops to jump through..adding politics to mix is a recipe for disaster...I my opinion.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    April 28, 2014 1:22 p.m.

@ Riverton Cougar
    No doubt there are low information voters but there not all voting Democrat. How did that straight Republican ticket vote done by most Utahns work out? Think John Swallow.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    April 28, 2014 1:09 p.m.

@DN Subscriber 10:06 p.m. April 26, 2014

I also do not care what race, ethnicity, sexual preference or beverage preferences a candidate might have. I care about the candidate's policies on the issues. Mia Love is wrong on just about every issue. She might possibly be a good represetative for those on the extreme far right, but would be a terrible Representative for all the people of Utah. Anyone who was not of the extreme far right persuasion (i.e., those of us who are true conservatives -- not far right extremists-- together with the people who are moderate or liberal) would have nobody to speak for their interests if she were elected. She would be a disaster who, unfortunately, would have found a place to happen. The people of Utah deserve better. No, thanks, Mia -- just go away.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    April 28, 2014 12:46 p.m.

Mia Love for Congress and Ben Carson for President! It is time to seriously trim our bloated federal government and return our future to "we the people"!

• fowersjl Farmington, Utah
    April 28, 2014 11:55 a.m.

Just looked at both Doug Owens' and Mia Love's official websites and found it very interesting. Mia goes into detail on her philosphy about many subjects, Doug is extremely vague and unless I missed it, does not reveal anything he supports except not shutting down the government. Is he afraid to state what he really believes? And for you Republicans that think Mia Love is so far right, and Doug Owens is so moderate and believes the same things that Utah voters believe...remember that he HAS to vote for Nancy Pelosi when she runs for Speaker again.

• RedWings CLEARFIELD, UT
    April 28, 2014 11:31 a.m.

Mia Love is an example of what is wrong with politics in the US: An extremist politician who doesn't follow her own principles (how low are your taxes, Eagle Mountain?), one who does not care to even know someone on the other side of the aisle (let alone understand them), and one whose personal political ambitions outweigh service to their constituency.

Ronald Reagan and Tip O'Neill were friends. Sure, they disagreed, but they eventually found a way to compromise and move the country forward. They were Americans first. The current congress is nothing like these two men were. Politics is all about re-election, perks, and ego.

Term limits on Congress would fix all of this, but getting that passed would be impossible....

• dmcvey Los Angeles, CA
    April 28, 2014 11:23 a.m.

Obamacare means that people who were previously uninsurable can now get insurance so that maybe they don't have to go bankrupt from medical bills. It means that we don't have to all pitch in to pay for uninsured people who go to emergency rooms. Funny thing is, Obamacare is Mitt Romney's plan.

• dmcvey Los Angeles, CA
    April 28, 2014 11:21 a.m.

Who said that if you didn't vote for Obama you were racist? When. I think we should have some specific examples.

• fowersjl Farmington, Utah
    April 28, 2014 10:20 a.m.

to bill in af, have you been in the classroom teaching Common Core? Have you read the literature? Have you seen the Social Studies books? Have you seen and taught the Common Core Math? I have and am dismayed at not only what is in the curriculum, but what is left out of the curriculum (purposefully). It is without a doubt an attempt to put all students nationwide in lock-step with a certain left leaning philosophy at its base. Statement from the back of a condensed version of a classic book (condensed by Common Core): The Common Core foundation is a non-profit organization (I doubt it) dedicated to the fairness in education for all...what does that mean? Fairness in education? Does that not sound like the words we hear constantly from the POTUS?

• dmcvey Los Angeles, CA
    April 28, 2014 9:17 a.m.

All these people will win, of course. It's very rare for a Democrat to win office in Utah if they're not in SLC, Park City or Moab.

• Utefan60 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 27, 2014 10:53 p.m.

Fitness Freak
    Salt Lake City, UT

You said that Obama supporters are posting under several different names. I doubt that is the case. Most people are supporting a President that gets things done and the GOP with NO solutions is finally being seen for their ways. Times are changing and people are not buying into the same Obama bad mouthing that the GOP keeps spewing out.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    April 27, 2014 10:07 p.m.

@suzyk#1. How am I not informed? Just because I have a different opinion doesn't make me any less informed than you.

There were qualities of Mitt Romney I liked and policy issues I agree with him on. Is he a better or more honest person than Obama? I think they are both decent people.

"Our USA would not be in such deep debt and despair if Mitt Romney had been elected in lieu of Obama - and that is a fact."

How can you state a fact when it can't be determined. Do spending bills originate in the House of Representatives or the White House? Last time I checked it is congress that holds the purse strings.

In addition our monetary system is debt based. A debt based money system can only expand and it has expanded ever since 1913. Even under the "great" Ronald Reagan debt and deficits occurred.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    April 27, 2014 7:24 p.m.

While Mia Love is receiving all the attention, there are many of us who are going to work as hard as we can to support Donna McAleer as she defeats Rob Bishop in the First District.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    April 27, 2014 5:05 p.m.

To: Shaun - I voted and supported Romney and would do it again if need be. He is a good, honest man with a great love and respect for our United States of America. He supports our troops, our Veterans and knows what it takes to run this country. You are not informed...we take very seriously our votes and who they go for. Our USA would not be in such deep debt and despair if Mitt Romney had been elected in lieu of Obama - and that is a fact.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    April 27, 2014 4:00 p.m.

Liberals need to get over the fact that they are going to LOSE pretty much all elections in 2014.

They pretty much lose what little credibility they have when they start complaining about politics in Utah. Even commonly democratic states are going to have a difficult time just keeping the Senate/House seats that they've had for years.

Also, I wish the 2 or 3 cheerleaders for Obama would STOP posting under their (each) 6 or 8 different screen names.

We GET it. You LIKE Obama, and Obamacare.

• bill in af American Fork, UT
    April 27, 2014 3:27 p.m.

As a state delegate, I feel the best available candidates were selected. With that said, I was also very disappointed in the far right attitude of the convention for the following reasons:
    1. Continued misinformation about what common core is. It is not a national government take over. It is a solid set of standards to improve education which will not take away local control. 2. Count My Vote would not have been neccessary had the party been responsive to needed changes in the system which takes away more voter participation through primary elections. 3. A resolution to support partisan school board elections. Politics should have little to do with who is best qualified to make decisions for our children. The state legislature already does this more than they should. Most Republicans in Utah are moderate in their views. It is hard to see where they were fairly represented in this convention.

• RBB Sandy, UT
    April 27, 2014 3:23 p.m.

Those radicals who want to restrain the growth of the government - We should throw Washinton, Jefferson and Madison out of office.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    April 27, 2014 3:01 p.m.

"I don't know him," she said. "I'm a Republican, and he's a Democrat."

How about being an American?

Looks like Utah Republicans are planning on sending a divider back to DC.

• jmason San Diego, CA
    April 27, 2014 2:43 p.m.

Utah residents have their own Sarah Palin, although Palin is almost liberal compared to Mia Love. But besides their conservatism, there is one other trait these two politicians share: lots of zeal and ambition matched with very little knowledge and expertise. It's sorta' like having a 300 horsepower outboard motor (the zeal and ambition) attached to a little rowboat (the knowledge and expertise). Dangerous.

• Billy Bob Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 27, 2014 2:32 p.m.

Shaun,

I did not vote for Romney because he is Mormon. I voted for him because he would have made a great president, or at the very least a better president than Obama. I don't support Harry Reid at all even though he is a Mormon. As a matter of fact I think Reid is worse than Obama.

I vote on principle. I don't care what religion a candidate is. I don't care what race a candidate is. Technically I don't even care what political party a candidate is (although I have yet to find a Democrat whom I agree with more than the Republican he or she is running against, even when the Republican is one I don't particularly like either).

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    April 27, 2014 11:25 a.m.

@Riverton Cougar. "Several times while talking with people on the streets they would tell me they were voting for Obama because he was black, with no shame at all!"

How is that any different than Mormons voting for Mitt Romney because he is Mormon? Do not pretend these Romney voters were not low information voters either.

Or how about straight party ticket voting. Did every voter actually research the candidate or did they simply vote by association either democrat or republican?

• ThornBirds St.George, Utah
    April 27, 2014 10:48 a.m.

Fun for MIa and her family to have this victory,
    However, the big one she is hoping for his is not in the cards. The majority of, even Utah, does not want this type of ultra right wing politician again.
    Enjoy, my dear.

• Mark from Montana Davis County, UT
    April 27, 2014 8:52 a.m.

Mia Love is another right wing Republican from a conservative state. I would rather have seen a more moderate for once, but that will never happen again. Certainly not with the caucus system we have, and now the far right is trying to get things changed back so they control the entire process again.

Utah is just a mirror image of Chicago politics of the 1950s. All controlled by a small percentage and lots of backroom deals. I used to laugh at the comments in the Trib about backroom politics in Utah, but I have come to realize that is what happens. The result are great leaders like Shurtleff and Swallow. Both great picks by those running the party.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    April 27, 2014 8:41 a.m.

"Why would I be racist if I didn't vote for her?"

Because back in 2008 and 2012 if you didn't vote for Obama, you were racist. You can deny it all you want, but that was a real sentiment during the elections.

I lived in Chicago in 2008 (I actually lived close to Obama's neighborhood; just a couple of miles away). Several times while talking with people on the streets they would tell me they were voting for Obama because he was black, with no shame at all! I know liberals are going to claim that I made this up, but I'm telling you that low-information voters exist in large numbers (especially in very large cities)and they overwhelmingly vote Democrat. For more proof see the youtube video "How Obama got elected. . . Interviews with Obama voters"

• Paul8777 Brigham City, UT
    April 27, 2014 8:08 a.m.

I wonder if the Deseret News knows there were actually two party conventions yesterday? One was full of optimistic people and quality candidates who want to do what's right for Utah and the United States of America, and are ready to put that interest above the interests of their party. The other was the Republican Convention.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    April 27, 2014 8:03 a.m.

Bishop, Stewart and Chaffetz speak only for the far right. Matheson was the ONLY elected representative who spoke for the majority of Utahns (those of us who are true conservatives -- not far right -- and the moderates and the liberals). If Love wins, there will be nobody left to speak for OUR interests and we will be de facto unrepresented. Regardless the party label, Doug Owens is a true conservative in the mold of Matheson. Hopefully the Fourth District will send Love packing again. Utah, and the United States, will be well served if they do.

• Dave T in Ogden Ogden, UT
    April 27, 2014 7:38 a.m.

Our political partisan divide is weakening our nation's stand across the globe. If we had this nasty partisan politics back during the founding of this great nation, this nation would never have been born. We should reframe our health care debate, not as Obamacare, but that of UnitedStatesCare. This way, good ideas from both parties can build on our health care system...
    Research has shown 80 percent of all illnesses are caused by lifestyle. If we had an obesity rate like that of 1980, millions of new jobs would be created.
    Outdoor exercise is the best way to lose weight and reduce depression.
    New debates, by both parties should find ways to lay new biking/walking trails. They would place several bikes to rent at these trails to help get people into shape and improve mental health. Special bikes (those 3-wheelers) could also be made available to injured vets and seniors to reduce suicides.
    A General once said, even if you want to install clean water system in a third world country, you must first ask the locals for input. Then you may make changes...Politicians, please try listening and stop this partisan divide! It is not helping us worldwide!

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    April 27, 2014 12:01 a.m.

DN Subscriber. Why would I be racist if I didn't vote for her? I just wish the republicans didn't gerrymander salt county into four pieces. I do not care about Kane county and their issues just like I doubt they care about salt lake city.

It was a real disservice to the citizens of Salt lake county.

• Sweet Ginger Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2014 10:55 p.m.

Mia Love is beautiful and her performing arts degree has been paying off with well given speeches but she is extreme in her tea party views (she cheered on the government shut-down). She has also been funded by large out-of-state donors. Doug Owens is a Yale educated lawyer, a moderate and currently raising money from locals. Doug Owens' primary concern is lifting the middle class & job creation. Doug Owens has my vote for congress!

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 26, 2014 10:06 p.m.

Having listened to the Democrats for the last decade or so, all I can say is that anyone who votes against Mia Love must be a racist!

I, like most of her supporters, do not care what race, ethnicity, sexual preference or beverage preferences a candidate might have. We care about their policies on the issues. Mia Love is right on just about every issue, and she will be a superb Congressman (or whatever gender neutral term the politically correct folks might like) for Utah.

I think she has a great advantage over her opponent. We have too many political "dynasties" in office already, and we do not need more members of the Bush, Kennedy, Bennett, Matheson, or Owens families running for office.

Of course, the liberal attack machine will start denigrating Mia Love all over again, just like last time. Not just because they oppose her policies, but because liberals hate to see strong, successful conservative candidates who refuse to adhere to the liberal policies and be subservient to their failed programs.

• bandersen Saint George, UT
    April 26, 2014 9:49 p.m.

I am not a supporter of the Republican Party by a long ways, but the Democrats ought to just sign this one over to the Republicans, particularly if they have any integrity in embracing their signature achievement, Obamacare! Mike Lee got a standing ovation at this convention, not because he is an establishment Republican but because he has been his own man standing on principle, something the delegates recognized. On the other hand, Senator Hatch barely got a wave of approval. A sea change is coming, with or without the Republican Party! The Democrats, however, are in for a slaughter! Utah might be waking up to Constitutional principles, even if ever so slight!

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    April 26, 2014 8:37 p.m.

I get another chance to vote against Mia Love. Fantastic.

• waikiki_dave Honolulu, HI
    April 26, 2014 8:26 p.m.

If the state of Utah sends this woman to Congress it will be a disaster.