Sports

ESPN report says BYU point guard Matt Carlino transferring to Marquette

Comments

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    April 28, 2014 7:38 a.m.

MarvyMelvin

Who cares what you consider to be post-season play? The rest of the college basketball world understands that the NIT is still a meaningful post-season tournament, even though it's now the little brother to the NCAA.

It's laughable that our jealous little brother in St George doesn't want to give Rose any credit for the Jimmer years. Duke IS a bigger program than BYU, just like Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina and several other blue-blood programs, but BYU doesn't have to be Duke in order to be successful.

btw, even the blue bloods sometimes crash and burn - see Duke 2014, even with Jabari Parker.

I suppose, in your mind, that must mean that Coach K has lost it and is no longer one of the top basketball coaches in the country.

• MarvyMelvin St. George, UT
    April 27, 2014 1:26 a.m.

Mountainman56

You are comparing apples to apples (or Roses to Roses as it may be). Rose's record is good compared to other BYU coaches, but your reference to 9 years of post season play is meaningless. I don't consider the NIT post season play. It is just a chance to shoot some hoops when 64 other teams are doing something meaningful. You are happy that BYU has made the tourney 7 out of 9 years. That's the mediocrity I was talking about. I guess it is not just the AD but the fans also. Jabari has said many times BYU was on his radar. If it was not Rose per se, it was because he saw Duke making a bigger splash in the post season. In the era of the big dance being the "prize", conference wins and conference tourney wins are meaningless. Almost as meaningless as football bowl games. Recruiting is actually not bad. Even the pollsters see the potential in the BYU roster. BYU has had a higher rank at the beginning of the season only to drop year after year (please don't tell me about the Jimmer years). That was not Rose's doing. Enjoy the mediocrity.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    April 26, 2014 10:54 p.m.

eating crow

Trying to equate Big Dance no show Utah with perennial NCAA tournament UCLA is laughable.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    April 26, 2014 3:39 p.m.

"Peace out Carlino. First UCLA, then BYU, and now Marquette. At what point do you ask the question, "Maybe this is a 'me' problem..."?"

In statistics, we determine what the common denominator is. You hit the nail on the head.

"Carolino does not have the talent to play at the U why do you think he transferred from a Pac12 school to a WCC school"

Any step to a Utah school would have been a significant step down. When a PAC-12 school barely makes the NIT and loses to the number 4 team in the WCC, you know you have work to do.

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    April 26, 2014 2:42 p.m.

@MarvyMelvin

Your analysis of Dave Rose is way off base. First and foremost, he has won the most games of any coach in BYU history with 207 wins. The next closest is Roger Reid with 152. He also has the highest winning percentage at 76.1% of any BYU coach since Henry Rose went 8-0 in 1910-11. (No idea if they are related). Finally he's had the best record of getting to post season play having played in all 9 years with 7 of the 9 going to the NCAA's. No coach in BYU history and few any where come close to matching what Rose has accomplished in his tenure at BYU. Also, where do you get this crazy idea that BYU always has 5 bigs sitting on the bench? That would sure be nice but absolutely has not been the case. And if you think Jabari would have come to BYU if there had been a different coach, you're dreaming. He was always going to Duke and no other coach at BYU would have changed that. We are fortunate to have Dave and I just hope we get to keep him for a good long time to come.

• MarvyMelvin St. George, UT
    April 26, 2014 12:05 p.m.

Carlino had more than just potential, he was very good both when the offense was set up for him and also when it wasn't. I think the bigger problem is Dave Rose. It seems like mediocrity is just fine with the BYU Athletic Dept. I find myself scratching my head at Rose's inability to get his players "up" for big games, his over recruiting PG's and SG's who are all the same, and over focus on one player each and every year. His offensive sets are elementary, I use the same sets with my junior high team. And I learned them from when I played Saturday league as a five year old. We always seem to have 5 bigs sitting on the bench year after year. A lot of these guys were state players of the year, and state all stars. Anyway, don't get me started. You know if Rose got off his chair once in awhile it wouldn't be so bad. Jabari would have gotten plenty of attention here. (don't forget Lillard at Weber). He didn't come to BYU because the coach is terrible.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    April 26, 2014 10:33 a.m.

Carlino announces transfer to Marquette... at least for the pre-season. After than, Matty Transfer might end up whereever. I wish no one ill but really don't care.

• Crow Sandy , UT
    April 26, 2014 9:23 a.m.

@ Old but not stupid Carolino does not have the talent to play at the U why do you think he transferred from a Pac12 school to a WCC school

• ekute Layton, UT
    April 26, 2014 8:42 a.m.

He always played hard, with heart and gave it his all for byu. He continued to do so without issue when asked to come off the bench. Then, he left quietly. He showed the same class when he transferred from UCLA. No need to disrespect him.

• Whyargue Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2014 6:55 a.m.

Stats don't lie. Carlino was one of the best guards in BYU history. Talent of his caliber isn't easy to get. You can say he was inconsistent, but I see a system that is stuck on playing one type of basketball and not getting all the talent involved. Making the tournament shouldn't be the goal. The team has too many good players to settle for a first round loss. I love Dave Rose, but it feels like the team too often excuses performance because of youth, injury, or a player doesn't fit the system. Carlino will tear it up at Marquette.

• oddman ,
    April 26, 2014 12:44 a.m.

Whenever Matt wasn't bringing the ball down the oourt I was a little nervous. He was a magician at dishing to other players when he set his mind to it. Frustration at not starting snuffed out his spirit although he was a fantastic 6th man, which, in my opinion, is a great place to be. Better than starting because you are injected when the team needs a kick start . Best of luck to you and thanks for the memories.

• KTar Boise, ID
    April 25, 2014 10:06 p.m.

Good riddance.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    April 25, 2014 9:29 p.m.

Basketball scholarships are year to year...

Coaches can cut a player loose any time they want...

I love to see players turn the tables on coaches.

Honor a commitment?

Tell that to players who are quietly told it's time to move on...

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 25, 2014 9:10 p.m.

Watching Matt play was "the best of the times, it was the worst of times". Against Portland, to end the season, he was simply amazing. His first game in Cougar blue against Baylor was spectacular.

I agree with morganh, this is a win-win. Matt didn't like coming off the bench, he wanted more minutes and the Cougs are going to be deeper at the guard line next year.

I will watch every Marquette game I can to see how Matt is doing, just like I watch Clemson to see how Demarcus is doing.

I wish you well.

• Cougar 4 Life Provo, UT
    April 25, 2014 7:59 p.m.

Good luck to you Matty. He contributed to BYU basketball and will be missed. Wish him the best of luck!

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    April 25, 2014 7:06 p.m.

Congrats to Matt on his impending graduation. Well done.

Best of luck at Marquette.

Never quite understood all the criticism of his play. The Y typically puts a lineup on the floor with at least two guys who won't shoot the ball, so teams really only have to guard three guys.

Almost all their sets are designed to get Hawes shots. When teams stopped those sets, or Hawes had a poor shooting game, the offense was terribly stagnant. Carlino was the one of the few players who could create his own shots.

His attitude was upbeat even when he went to the bench. He probably had more plays that hyped up the home crowd than any other player.

He had his shortcomings, they all do, but on balance was certainly one of the best five players on the team.

I will remember him fondly and wish him Godspeed.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    April 25, 2014 5:44 p.m.

Good luck to Matt Carlino. Did some good things for the Cougars. Wishing you the best at Marquette University.

• Wannabe Bakersfield, CA
    April 25, 2014 5:39 p.m.

@Vegas Ute

I "respectfully" decline to heap praises on a guy that cannot follow through with his commitment to play for a Universitiy for the 3rd time in his career. I think this proves his selfishness. I agree with BYUalum that when he played team ball, within the system, he was great. Unfortunately we only saw glimpses of that. BYU is better off now.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    April 25, 2014 4:43 p.m.

Carlino could see the writing on the wall with the addition of RM Washington State 4A player of the year Jordan Chatman, Wake Forest transfer Chase Fischer, and UNLV transfer Jamaal Aytes. His minuets would be greatly reduced and he wants more playing time. Marquette needs a starting point guard so it is a win-win for both schools. B.Y.U. will be just fine with out him and next year with their senior leadership and these new additions I expect that they will once again be in the NCAA Tournament.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    April 25, 2014 4:40 p.m.

Good luck Matt on this move and on your future.

Wannabe - seriously? How about a little respect?

• caleb in new york Glen Cove, NY
    April 25, 2014 4:31 p.m.

It looks like he will get to play in a conference tourney in Madison Square Garden. The Big East as a conference was stronger than the WCC, even though Marquette itself didn't qualify for any postseason tourney. The Big East is also located in bigger media markets that get more national attention than the WCC does. The Big East are Fox Sports #1 basketball conference so they get a lot of the conference shown in games on primetime for the East Coast instead of at 11 pm or midnight. So definitely some plusses for the move. He was a key contributor while he was here but I think the Cougs will be able to get over him pretty quickly.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 25, 2014 4:26 p.m.

Old But Not Stupid

"I know he did not want to make a lateral move to the U."

Making a move to the U would definitely have been a step down.

Big Dance > no dance

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    April 25, 2014 4:18 p.m.

I appreciated Carlino's spark to the BYU basketball team. I, however, thought he was a "wild card." You didn't know from game to game what he would/could produce. I agree that most times on the playing floor it was Carlino all for himself. When he was unselfish and shared the ball, he was a definite asset to the team. He was otherwise frustrating to watch!

• Cougsrock original Maricopa, Az
    April 25, 2014 4:11 p.m.

Yes Chris B an obvious step up. I would much rather be at a school that didn't make the big dance last year.

• spokaloo White Salmon, WA
    April 25, 2014 4:02 p.m.

Good luck Carlino. Tough to see you go, but you might be able to help Marquette get back to the post-season. Leaving a tourney team to go to a team that didn't make the post season gives you a chance to prove your worth.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    April 25, 2014 3:54 p.m.

Chris B
    Salt Lake City, UT

"Definitely a step up for Carlino." Yep, that's for sure. I know he did not want to make a lateral move to the U.

• Wannabe Bakersfield, CA
    April 25, 2014 3:27 p.m.

Good luck in the next step of your saga. Carlino is not a team basketball player and plays for himself only. As seen in big games when he can't contain himself and play within the team and he jacks up 20+ long contested jump shots. It's no wonder he'll finish off his college career having been affiliated with 4 different universities. He refuses be a team player. When things continue to not work out wherever you go, the problem might just be you. He will not be missed by me.

• daver Provo, 00
    April 25, 2014 3:27 p.m.

Best wishes Matt. God bless!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 25, 2014 3:23 p.m.

Congratulations Matt. I hope things work out for the best at Marquette, and you find success. Thanks for the excitement you brought to BYU basketball the last few years.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2014 3:18 p.m.

Definitely a step up for Carlino.

Best of luck Matt