Sports

Utah Utes add 7-foot basketball player from Austria

Comments

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    April 28, 2014 4:40 p.m.

Are you sure he knows that he was recruited for basketball and not the ski team?

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    April 27, 2014 5:22 p.m.

A proud member of the SF Giants.
    A proud member of the SF 49ers.
    A proud member of the Golden State Warriors.

A proud member man, I am. Go Sharks!!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 26, 2014 9:43 p.m.

William Wallace, I think he meant that it could either be Pöltl or Poeltl, but not Pöeltl.

With the recruiting class now finalized, the only question remaining the rest of the offseason is who, of 10 projected returning scholarship players and 4 new signees, will be the odd man out of the 13 scholarship spots.

• William Wallace OGDEN, UT
    April 26, 2014 7:56 p.m.

Osgrath.. In your trips to Austria, did anyone tell you that you can either write the umlaut over the o, or you can write it as oe, as in Poeltl, so I guess it can be both. I don't think Loveridge will be in the NBA. I just hope he can make one game winner next year. He missed a bunch this year.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2014 5:30 p.m.

Back Talk
    Federal Way, WA

"As for foreign players, especially with some many doing it in the Pacific Conference, why doenst BYU make a better effort in these other countries?

With the way college sports are going, BYU might end up on the outside looking in."

Great questions. Answers: 1) byu-provo's recruiting reach doesn't extend beyond Timpview High School, 2) byu-provo isn't in the Pacific Conference; and 3) byu-provo is already on the outside looking in.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    April 26, 2014 5:29 p.m.

@ motorbike
    Help me with my physical geography. Do the the states you mentioned have mountains even remotely similar to our own Wasatch range? (Wisconsin, Minnesota, and New England)

• Back Talk Federal Way, WA
    April 26, 2014 2:31 p.m.

Recruiting continues to be the name of the game. Utah appears to be doing very well in that regard.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    April 26, 2014 2:02 p.m.

I like the fact that we have a coach that can palm the ball. (nice pic). Coach K will work wonders with this kid.

• ekute Layton, UT
    April 26, 2014 10:59 a.m.

CougFaninTX,
    If you're a member of the Denver Broncos I'm definitely one of your fans and I'm proud of our membership in the AFC West.
    Has a cougar fan ever said "We're happy with our independence in football and proud of our membership in the wcc."?

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    April 26, 2014 9:47 a.m.

This addition to the Ute roster certainly gives Utah some much needed depth and will be very interesting to see what Coach K will be able to do with his talent. This is one Utah fan who is very excited about the future prospects for Utah basketball!

• Krispy Zadoosh Salt Lake, UT
    April 26, 2014 8:07 a.m.

Ekute, your "membership" hasn't been troubling at all. I fact, according to your definition, I too am a PAC 12 member. But my "membership" seems to have included post season play and not vying for the worst record in the conference. There must be different types of membership. Yours would be the equivalent of Vanderbilt in the SEC. So my membership is actually glad that your membership continues to support the conference long after your membership has been eliminated from bowl games and post season tournaments. We will continue to proudly represent the conference and you can continue to compare yourself to non-conference teams and MWC teams if it makes you feel better, and my membership will be grateful for the easy wins each season when we play your membership.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 26, 2014 7:34 a.m.

@Krispy Zadoosh - Spot on, and hilarious.

I'm wondering if I'm the only 50 year old who is:

A proud member the men's Olympic relay team.
    A proud member of the Denver Bronco's.
    And a proud member of the Texas Rangers.

• just a nobody murray, UT
    April 26, 2014 6:02 a.m.

Chris B you once again prove my point that you have no idea what you are talking about. Loveridge to the NBA? With all the new signings he will be lucky to get off our bench. Going from way down our bench to an NBA bench is going take more talent and heart then he has. I stand by my earlier post that if these new guys can't beat out Loveridge we shouldn't be pounding our chests about any of them.

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    April 25, 2014 9:17 p.m.

Krispy Zadoosh:

For the very first use of "gerund" on the comment board, you win an autographed copy of "The Elements of Style" and an editing job at the Salt Lake newspaper of your choice!

• ekute Layton, UT
    April 25, 2014 9:17 p.m.

Excellent young addition to and already strong and experienced front line..along with several players that can bomb from the outside...Wright drives, slashes and takes it strong to the hoop...Watch out Pac 12!

Krispy Zadoosh and Cougsndawgs,
    Obviously Our Membership in the Pac 12 troubles you. Good! lol.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    April 25, 2014 6:12 p.m.

As a repeat resident of Austria in years past, I am pleased and surprised with this signing - surprised because I never saw a whole lot of basketball skill in any of the pickup games I participated in over there. But what I read about Pöltl tells me he has a huge upside. He needs to improve his strength, especially in his legs, but he has speed, agility and good timing in rebounding and blocking shots.

Just addressing previous comments - Traiskirchen is in the Vienna Woods about 20 miles south of Vienna, and he also played for a Vienna team, so he has lived a couple of freeway hours away from the Alps, and the snow is probably comparable to Kansas City.

Also, it is either Pöltl or Poeltl, but not both.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    April 25, 2014 3:47 p.m.

I noted long ago that Basketball was the sport where the U could possibly be competitive in the PAthetiC-12, and this story is one of the reasons why.

Unfortunately, for Ute football fans progress in this area may turn the U of U into a basketball school like Duke. Now Duke is not a bad institution, and I would not mind. However, I'm not sure if the rest of the crimson crew would adapt to this new paradigm.

Also, motorbike, you won't be proven wrong; I totally agree re: your assessment of Loveridge's chances--mark it down. Not enough speed or "hops" to compete in the NBA. Might do OK in Europe.

• Krispy Zadoosh Salt Lake, UT
    April 25, 2014 3:41 p.m.

@Jimmy...We rock stars were never known for our spelling ability. However, Olympic Bobsled members are familiar with the standard English rule of using a comma after an introductory gerund phrase, if we are going to critique syntax rather than ideas.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 25, 2014 3:13 p.m.

Chris B

"I think Loveridge will get there"

I hate to say it but there's very little chance we'll see Loveridge playing in the NBA. I don't mean to slight the guy, after all I think he's a great talent and as a Ute I cheer hard for he and the team every game. But his size/speed/game just won't translate to the next level. Of course, I hope in the end you're right and I'm proven wrong.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 25, 2014 3:07 p.m.

Very excited about Poeltl. As highly ranked as this incoming class already was, most recruiting services won't give it quite the justice it MIGHT deserve. Just my opinion and quite frankly I rarely concern myself too much with all the "ranking" talk.
    But if one was to look at this class closely, I'd guess a lot of analyst types either miss or hesitate on some of the talented foreign guys like Poeltl. Then you have Isaiah Wright from Idaho who looks awesome, but who likely isn't rated as highly as he might have been had he played in a different neck of the woods. And then of course Reyes who won't get too much pub having gone the Community College route first. Of course we all know Kuzma and Chapman haven't flown under any radars.
    Bottom line, this is a spectacular recruiting class. Huge kudos to the entire coaching staff. Go Utes!

• Jimmytheliberal Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2014 2:54 p.m.

@Krispy...Being a proud member of such a band that revolutionized music as you stated one would think you would know how to spell it. Z-e-p-p-e-l-i-n. Good thing you're not a member of The Who.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2014 2:47 p.m.

motorboat,

I think Loveridge will get there. Note, you were the one who added "headed to the NBA at this point"

I never said Loveridge is ready for the NBA at this point, just to be clear. I just said I think he'll be in the NBA. With 2 more years development I think he'll get there.

Go Utes!
    Onward and upward.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 25, 2014 2:43 p.m.

Krispy Zadoosh

"A proud NFL member
    A proud member of the Olympic Bobsled team
    A proud member of Led Zepplin"

Now THAT was funny! Well done.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 25, 2014 2:42 p.m.

Tajemnica

"It is after all a top 20 snowiest campus in the country."

There are probably 30 snowier campuses in just Wisconsin, Minnesota and New England. Not to mention, cold weather is what would bother people more. Utah wouldn't come close to being in that top 20.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 25, 2014 2:36 p.m.

Chris B

"Choosing Utah over Arizona and Cal?"

Don't twist words. Jakob VISITED Arizona and Cal. While the interest was serious from both teams, Arizona moved in a different direction and Cal lost their head coach and an assistant Jakob really liked. It doesn't mean he would've gone to Cal, but we'll never know for sure.

"With an already solid team with 2 future NBA players..."

Let's don't get ahead of ourselves. Barring injury, Wright seems to be a likely NBAer, but who else do you think is headed to the NBA at this point?

As a fellow Ute fan, I cringe at these type of comments from you.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 25, 2014 2:30 p.m.

Krispy:
    Now that was funny! Thanks for the laugh, it's been a long day so it was needed.

Proud member of the Navy Seals!
    And proud member of Duck Commander!
    And proud member of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir!

• Krispy Zadoosh Salt Lake, UT
    April 25, 2014 2:08 p.m.

I think it's funny when someone confuses being a member of the PAC 12 with being a fan of a team that is a member of the PAC 12. Of course I could just be unaware of the phenomenon when membership to an organization automatically extends to the supporters of its members. If that is the case, I would like to announce that I am...
    A proud NFL member
    A proud member of the Olympic Bobsled team
    A proud member of Led Zepplin

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    April 25, 2014 1:29 p.m.

Dave S,

From the looks of the article, it looks as though this is reporting that he actually "signed", whereas before it was only reported that he had "committed."

• Tajemnica West Valley, Utah
    April 25, 2014 1:13 p.m.

Seeing as how he is from Austria he probably feels more at home at utah than any other school. It is after all a top 20 snowiest campus in the country. Nonetheless I wish him the best and hope he lives up to the hype.

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    April 25, 2014 1:02 p.m.

Wow the DN is all over this story. The Trib reported this a week ago.

Congrats on another great signing Coach K!!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2014 12:31 p.m.

choosing Utah over Arizona and Cal?

Wow, this kid is going to be huge. With an already solid team with 2 future NBA players, and guys like Brekkot and Jakob joining, the future is bright on the hill and in the prestigious Pac 12

Proud Coach K supporter
    Proud Ute
    Proud Pac 12 member

• SCUte Rock Hill, SC
    April 25, 2014 12:31 p.m.

Sweet! Coach K is the Bomb! Welcome Jakob! Go Utes!!!!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    April 25, 2014 12:07 p.m.

The enormity of Pöeltl signing w/us can't be overstated....Our already outstanding class just blew through the roof!

Go Utes!