Sports

Utes basketball: Krystkowiak officially agrees to a new 5-year deal with Utah

Comments

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    April 28, 2014 6:45 p.m.

Cougsndawgs "digressing PAC12 record against the SAME competition."
    Incorrect. Not the SAME competition. The league is too big for everybody to play everybody (i.e. same competition). Last year, the Utes added Oregon and Stanford to the rotation, giving them one of the toughest schedules in the nation. Thus, level of competition goes up, record goes down.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 26, 2014 4:46 p.m.

Ekute:
    Nothing you said has anything to do with my last post, or my initial point about Coack K deserving more than Whitt because he has improved in the PAC 12 while Whitt hasn't. That has nothing to do with "hiding behind the PAC12" because of BYUs recent slump against the utes. Was that just your wishful conclusion and putting words in my mouth because that's certainly not what I said or was talking about. I took a shot at Whitt's lack of success compared to Coach K's improvement, not at the football program in general. You're the one that took offense and jumped in trying to defend Whitt....but records and facts are against him, sorry if you don't like it. And his being let go after this coming season if things don't improve will be the evidence of the truth I speak. And yes, truth hurts but it doesn't change.

• ekute Layton, UT
    April 26, 2014 2:53 p.m.

Cougsndawgs,
    Face it, you hide behind the Pac 12 to snipe at Whitt because your team can't beat him.
    You seem to admire Utes basketball but you can't comment on them without taking a shot at our football program because...we own you.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 26, 2014 10:23 a.m.

Ok I'm tired of arguing, it's pointless. I had a whole rebuttal but didn't send because this whole argument is stupid for one reason: I like Utah basketball...have since I was a kid and have said that on these threads multiple times. I love what coach K is doing with the Utes and congratulate him on his new extension. I think it's great that both BYU and Utah will be successful in the near future with the recruits they have and two very good coaches. That's all I'm going to say because I like both basketball teams so I'm done arguing between them.

In terms of Coach K possibly deserving more than Whitt, as Sooner Ute suggested, there's some truth to what I said. However, Sooner, I don't understand you saying I used "simpleton logic" when talking about his digressing record. I was referring to his digressing PAC12 record against the SAME competition. 5-4 to 3-6, to 2-7 against conference competition the last 3 years. If that's not digression against constant/same competition please explain what is.

• ekute Layton, UT
    April 25, 2014 9:20 p.m.

UU,
    Well said. Go Utes!

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2014 7:10 p.m.

Cougsndawgs "heck he should be getting paid more than KW for turning the program around"
    Pretty good point, actually. Coaching is a team sport. It'd be interesting to compare assistant coaches. The knock on Whitt has been that he doesn't seem to know anybody in the business. He hasn't found a good pipeline of assistant talent.

"no improvement (actually digressing in terms of wins and losses)."
    This one cracks me up. Simpleton logic that completely ignores the raised level of competition.

Following your logic, independent Cougar football shows no improvement. BYU had better records in the MWC then as an independent. A solid case can be made that Cougar football should have remained in the MWC. Without pesky Utah and TCU in the way, BYU could have owned that league, and might have broken into the BCS club. Bonus: the basketball team wouldn't have been demoted to the WCC.

• UU Provo, UT
    April 25, 2014 7:02 p.m.

@Cougsndawgs "Ekute & AZUTE: Still concerned about comparing things to BYU...what else is new."

Says the BYU fan who is trolling Utah stories. That's a classic, keep 'em coming Cougsndawgs.

AZUTE, I don't think cougsdogs can differentiate between a post that is in response to his outlandish statements vs. a post that is a truly a comparison of the two schools and independent of any prior crazy statements made by BYU fans.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 25, 2014 6:07 p.m.

AZUTE
    It's pretty clear you don't comprehend what I'm saying. You're trying to pass off coach K's performance only twice against Rose (and 2 of his weaker teams) as somehow being a trend for what will happen in the future. We still don't know how good coach K really is. If you want to believe that coach K will own coach Rose based on last years results be my guest but based on Rose's last two years recruiting (his 2 best recruiting years) you may be disappointed. You also need to acknowledge trends that don't portend well for Utah/coach K such as their poor road record (AT BYU next year).

And I don't hate Utah basketball, I actually watch and cheer for them regularly. I also like coach K which is why I stated as much in my first post. I believe it's you that wants to stack the cards in your favor concerning trends, when there isn't enough to go on with coach K & plenty (8 yrs) to show how good Rose has been. I like that Utah is showing improvement but only time will tell to what extent.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    April 25, 2014 3:07 p.m.

Cougsndawgs--

U still don't comprehend what I've written, so I'll clarify it for U. rose has not beat Coach K 11 of 13, nor is their head-to-head constituted by 8 meetings, but rather by 3, 2 including Coach K's recruits. Not certain where this comes from on your part. W/less talent he outcoached him 2 years ago, in spite of not pulling out the W in their 1st meeting w/Coach K's recruits on the court. In their second meeting, Coach K destroyed rose in a laughable affair. U refuse to acknowledge the disparity in coaching-prowess/how significantly it factors into it. It's clearly a trend!

Furthermore, I was initially responding to the byu fans/U-haters on here and in no way bringing the U-byu comparison into it, myself. It already existed previously, including your role in it.

Regarding investors, see above, as it's clear to all, except evidently to U. I rest my case!

p.s. I remind U you're posting comments on a U-related thread which, alone, has zero to do w/byu. Yet, U/your brethren continue posting your U-hatred filled commentary on here!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 25, 2014 2:47 p.m.

AZUTE:
    You think one year winning on your home floor is a trend? You might want to look at BYUs recruiting over the last couple of years as well, it's not too shabby and just a bit better than U. Nothing that should make any BYU fan "insecure".

I wasn't the one that brought this whole Rose and how U are going to beat him business to the table, you can thank Dave for that. I never compared Rose to coach K, I said that based on long term trends, not one or two year flash in the pan seasons, BYU is still the better bet until Utah proves otherwise. Based on the last 8 years there's no reason whatsoever for BYU fans to be the least bit insecure about U...one good game in SLC doesn't change nearly a decade of domination. Now maybe coach K will turn that around, maybe not, but most investors don't take one incident or tick in a direction as a "trend"...now 11 of 13 is a trend. We shall see if Krisko can change it over a few years & not just one game on your home floor.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 25, 2014 2:45 p.m.

ekute:

"You and your friends must be ecstatic about hosting middle Tennessee, unlv and savannah...and knowing that whether you 6-6 or 11-1, it's the poinsettia bowl! lol."

That might be true....but only until they find out that their only shot at getting invited to the Poinsettia would be if Navy finished with fewer than 6-wins. The cougars aren't tied to ANY postseason destinations for 2014, so right now, it's looking like their only shot at a bowl would be either (1) Navy failing to qualify, thus causing the Poinsettia to scramble to find another team, or (2) hope for an at-large bid.

There are literally only 4 bowls for the 2014 season that are open to "at-large" teams, and those four are the Orange, Fiesta, Peach, and Cotton. And of course we know that the Y had already been eliminated from getting one of those at-larges. Their SOS is just way too weak.

Once those "truths" are finally discovered, they won't be so ecstatic for 2014 -- bad games, and no bowl.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    April 25, 2014 2:28 p.m.

Cougsndawgs--

"Ekute & AZUTE:
    Still concerned about comparing things to BYU...what else is new."

Not certain how U missed it, but I was responding directly to all of the byu fans/U-haters on here, including yourself. Therefore, I wasn't making any comparison to byu. Furthermore, rose hasn't beat Coach K in 11 of 13. In fact, he beat our worst team in history, which included none of Coach K's recruits, as he was hired w/out any time to recruit, except to find enough warm bodies to even put a team on the court for our games that season. In '12-'13, he had his first recruits and led a significantly more veteran byu team on their homecourt, virtually from start-to-finish, 'til byu miraculously barely pulled it out. This last season he destroyed rose in a laughable affair in only his second season w/his recruits. Do U not see a trend here? Everybody else does!

Investors would be definitively wise to place all they have precisely in what I predicted, going along w/national experts, regarding where our program is headed and specifically regarding your comparison between our two programs!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 25, 2014 1:38 p.m.

Ekute & AZUTE:
    Still concerned about comparing things to BYU...what else is new. I find it hilarious that ute fans think that BYU fans are somehow worried about a program they have so thoroughly dominated over the last few years. Y'all like to crow about football but minimize how dominate BYU basketball has been over Utah. I wish Utah success & coach K as I've said...i do cheer for the Runnin Utes but they have a lot of catching up to do with Coach Rose. As for the Utah victory this year congrats...I have a feeling your road woes will continue at the MC next year where you haven't won in a very long time. As for taking things to the bank, how many investors do you know would buy shares in a program that has lost to Rose 11 of the last 13 times they've played...in other words I think the bank would laugh at you.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    April 25, 2014 11:43 a.m.

In related news, Jakob Pöeltl has officially signed his LOI w/us!

Go Utes!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    April 25, 2014 11:41 a.m.

This is outstanding news up there on The Hill! I'd be equally concerned about it, were I a byu fan, because just like he did this last December when he humiliated rose and like Coach KW does annually to bronco, Coach K will annually continue his mastery of rose, U can take it to the bank!

Go Utes!

• ekute Layton, UT
    April 25, 2014 11:19 a.m.

Cougsndawgs,
    "something Whitt has had 3 years to accomplish with no improvement".
    Where has bronco improved the cougars since they were rejected by all of the major conferences?

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 25, 2014 11:12 a.m.

Dave S:
    Insecurities? Ya 11 of 13 has me green with envy...I think I feel an ulcer coming on. Lol

I would also worry about actually making the NCAA tournament and not losing the first round of the NIT to a team y'all made fun of before considering the top 25 to be realistic. Coach K is a good coach and may take you there but there's a lot of basketball to be played yet before his true value is realized.

• Dave S Holladay, UT
    April 25, 2014 11:02 a.m.

Fantastic news!! I love all of the insecurities from TDS knowing we are on the verge of being back where we belong as a consistent top 25 program. Coach K is building the program the right way and I couldn't be happier.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 25, 2014 10:04 a.m.

Good move by the Utes. You don't let a guy who has changed the culture and winning attitude of a program get away. I think 1.4 mill a year might be a little steep for a guy who still has a lot to prove, but what choice is there? You gotta keep the jazz and other offers at bay so pay him now and lock him down. He's a good coach and good recruiter...heck he should be getting paid more than KW for turning the program around and making them competitive in a power conference...something Whitt has had 3 years to accomplish with no improvement (actually digressing in terms of wins and losses).

Congrats Special K, you deserve it.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 25, 2014 9:37 a.m.

IA Cougar,

Like Dutchman said, you've got a lot to learn about how things a paid for in Utah. I don't know about Iowa, but the Utah legislature has cut state funding to the University of Utah so much that currently State funding doesn't even cover half the cost of undergraduate education, let alone contribute to the athletic programs. Not one dime of tax money supports the athletic programs at the U. Student fees, ticket sales, TV revenue and donors cover that. So your point is completely moot.

• Dwayne Nielson Alpine, UT
    April 25, 2014 8:42 a.m.

He should be the Jazz coach

• Dave Matthews Sammamish, WA
    April 25, 2014 8:38 a.m.

Note to college basketball coaches: Take over a lousy basketball program, schedule the easiest pre-season schedule possible to build the program up to a mediocre team that can't win on the road but almost wins half of it's conference games, barely make the NIT and loose against a team that plays in a high school gym... and then sign for a big $$$$ contract. Good work Coach K.2 (not the real Coach K from Duke).

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    April 25, 2014 8:37 a.m.

Well, this Cougar is no nay-sayer on this move. Coach K is the real deal and I fear for my Cougs when they play the Utes. Nice move, Dr. Hill. Congrats Coach K. Keep up the great work. With obvious exceptions, I enjoy cheering for the guys on the hill.

I also like the direction the Coug program is going. Coach Rose is also a class act. And, how about Weber and UVU!!!! USU is the only program in the state headed in the wrong direction.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    April 25, 2014 8:32 a.m.

IA Cougar,

Not one dime of tax payer money goes to fund Utah Athletics. How many times does this have to be pointed out?

• Chewbacca Magna, UT
    April 25, 2014 5:00 a.m.

Such great news! The doom and gloomers feel compelled to tell us about the pre-season. Ha! Worked out pretty good, if you ask me.

What's exciting to see here is the PROGRESS. That's something Boylen's teams lacked. This current team is making progress in just about every aspect of the program. Recruiting has improved at an incredible rate considering where we were when Coach K got here. He has stopped the bleeding of talent leaving the program. He has brought the fans back to the HC. And, most importantly, his teams show improvement throughout the season.

I am ecstatic that Dr Hill is doing what he needs to to try to hang onto Coach K.

I am a Utah Man sir!

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2014 10:25 p.m.

IA Cougar said "Nothing against Utah..." and then went on a rant against Utah.

You're not scaring the locals with talk of taxpayer rip-off. Utah gets a full share of PAC12 money now. They can afford to pay the market rate for a coach. If taxpayers were really on the hook, they should have been upset about the time Utah was paying money to 3 coaches, but only 1 was a current employee.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2014 9:08 p.m.

byu-provo fans are the best. For weeks they get on these boards and talk about how Coach K will bolt to the Jazz or another program like Cal. When Coach K rebuffs Cal, signs a top 20 class, signs a new contract, and discusses how happy he is with the program and incoming facilities, the same byu-provo get on here and rehash Utah's preseason schedule. Lol...byu-provo and Dave Rose were victims of Utah's preseason schedule just like Savannah St was. Coug fans see what's coming and they don't like it. Based on recent history, it won't be long and Holmoe will be announcing renovations to the MC and renewing the 10 year old promise of a new practice facility.

Congratulations to the Utes...you have a great coach!

• ekute Layton, UT
    April 24, 2014 7:31 p.m.

Utah rules,
    More likely another 5 seasons of defeating byu.

But seriously folks!,
    And byu was one of the easier wins for the Utes during that "absolute worst preseason schedule in the ENTIRE country". lol

• Weberboy Fruit Heights, UT
    April 24, 2014 7:13 p.m.

I've liked Krystko ever since he held up some dude that was stealing bikes or whatever it was. Man has some guts and he turned around the program pretty quickly. For any U fan that isn't happy about this, just remember that your bball program was a joke a few years ago when Boylen left and half the team transferred.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 24, 2014 5:36 p.m.

This is the second piece of fantastic Runnin' Ute news in the past week. First it was the addition of the 7 foot Austrian center, Jakob Poeltl. Now it's a nice new contract to keep an awesome coach.
    With bonuses this contract appears to put Coach Krystko right around 5th highest paid in the Pac 12. That's about as much as Utah fans could possibly expect at this point in time. Nice to see Chris Hill making a solid investment in the future of Utah basketball. Go Utes!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 24, 2014 5:24 p.m.

But seriously folks!

"I guess u will do whatever it takes to get wins, even if it means playing high schools."

I'm confused, why are you talking about BYU's 2014 football schedule on an article about Utah's 2014 basketball schedule?

• IA Cougar West Des Moines, IA
    April 24, 2014 5:22 p.m.

Nothing against Utah, but after only one winning season? In a state run institution, taxes pay the bill. I would say taxpayers are getting ripped off in this deal. If you don't believe it, just look at the schedule this year and see where the majority of wins come from. There were a few good wins in there, BYU included...but for the most part, you have to discount the wins. I'm in favor of keeping a coach who seems to be taking the program in the right direction, and I do like what Coach K is doing. However, shouldn't you prove it for a while? Even Boylen won the first year and 2nd for that matter. Good luck to Utah. Glad I'm not a Utah taxpayer.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2014 5:17 p.m.

Coach K understands what it takes to teach young men like few others. This Utah fans is ecstatic about the quality of basketball in SLC and looking forward to the Utah program returning to the national conversation.

Thank you, Coach K!!

Go Utes!!

• But seriously folks! Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2014 5:09 p.m.

1st winning season since 2008 on the back of the absolute worst preseason schedule in the ENTIRE country. I guess u will do whatever it takes to get wins, even if it means playing high schools.

• Utah rules Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2014 5:05 p.m.

Well, I guess we get what we ask for, another 5 seasons of not competing in the conference.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA