Opinion

In our opinion: Utah is not a swing state and should focus political and civic energies elsewhere

Comments

• Martin Blank Salt Lake City, UT
    April 28, 2014 6:45 a.m.

Mr. Richards,
    You are evidently not aware that the exceptions you list, "except in the case of rape, incest or imminent danger of death to the mother," are in fact the exceptions that your religion will accept; they are found nowhere in the Republican national platform, which will brook no exceptions at all to the "right to life." Sounds like your personal position is closer to the Democratic position that abortions should be "safe, legal--and rare."

• airnaut Everett, 00
    April 25, 2014 1:40 p.m.

@2 bits
    Cottonwood Heights, UT

Just throwing blinds swings trying to connect to hit something 2 bits?
    Go back and READ the comments...

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 25, 2014 11:07 a.m.

@Iron Rod 9:24,
    RE: "what have our two representatives in the House done for Utah in the past year?"...

You may not be aware of this but... we have 4 representative in the House (not 2).

Jason Chaffetz
    Jim Matheson
    Chris Stewart
    Rob Bishop

We have 2 representatives in the Senate (which is not the "House"). Even my 12 year old Scouts who have the Citizenship in the Nation merit badge know that.

Orrin Hatch
    Mike Lee

====

What have our representatives in the House done?
    What have our representatives in the Senate done?
    What has ANYBODY in Congress done???

Democrats haven't gotten much done, so you can get off the high-horse. Republicans also haven't gotten much done. Some say that's a GOOD thing.

I don't know if I agree with that. But your pretense that our representatives are worse than any other representatives (I assume because most of them are Republicans)... is bogus.

Representatives in the minority frequently don't get much done. It's not unusual...

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2014 8:30 a.m.

RE David
    Centerville

OK what have our two representatives in the House done for Utah in the past year?

• Jamescmeyer Midwest City, USA, OK
    April 25, 2014 7:14 a.m.

Most of these comments is why I'm not a Democrat. I just can't bring myself to lull unattentively away in the flow of popular opinion and shifting sands.

I agree with the sentiment of the article; there's really not much to gain from trying to make political side-shows out of Utah.

• UT Brit London, England
    April 25, 2014 12:57 a.m.

Utah would vote for the devil if he had an R next to his name.

• David Centerville, UT
    April 24, 2014 10:31 p.m.

Iron Rod,

The minority party (Republicans) are very limited in what they can do in the Senate. Do you think Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is going to help Hatch or Lee accomplish anything there?

What have House Democrats accomplished? Not much, because they are in the minority.

I hope this explains why Hatch and Lee haven't had many of their proposals brought up for debate or a vote. Lee has only served in the minority. Hatch, over the course of his entire career, has his name attached to numerous bills and laws.

I did not vote for Hatch in the last election, and I won't vote for him in the next election (I know he said he wouldn't run again, but I don't believe him). I do, however, understand the limitations of the minority, and the power of the majority.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    April 24, 2014 9:51 p.m.

Call me whatever but I would love to any political party convention come to Utah, especially the two major parties. I'm not Red or Blue on this one but I see plenty of GREEN and it would be a lot of fun for a few days...

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2014 9:24 p.m.

Can any of the posters tell me what our two Senators have accomplished legislatively?

I still remember Senator Hatch saying we should reelect him because of his power and seniority in the Senate. What has he accomplished in the last year?

Same for our Senator Lee. Other than strut around on the national stage as a cheer leader for the tea party movement, What has he accomplished legislatively in the past year?

• Madsen Hall Magic Centerville, UT
    April 24, 2014 5:58 p.m.

GaryO,

If Utahns are still in the dark ages, and so unlightened, please explain why Utah is annually ranked highly as a well-managed state. Why is Utah's economy among the best in the nation? Why do Utahn's enjoy better than average health and life-spans?

We have our problems, just like anybody else. But we have got a good thing going for us that most of the country would love to emulate.

We all hope you come around to real enlightenment.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    April 24, 2014 2:38 p.m.

Nate –

You think I’m showing [“Conservatives”] too much love and respect?”

Well, I don’t know about that. I’m just trying to be fair and direct.

. . . . Just implementing the Golden Rule.

• Nate Pleasant Grove, UT
    April 24, 2014 2:14 p.m.

@GaryO "Sure, others and myself will continue doing what we can to enlighten people in this regressive state, but Utah has not yet begun to emerge from its long dark age, and I don't see that happening anytime soon."

It surprises me that you haven't been able to win them over. Perhaps you're showing them too much love and respect.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 24, 2014 1:53 p.m.

@CHS 85,

I don't care if the DNC convention comes to Utah (I know it won't... but I don't care).

Like you said... their money spends just like any other convention.

I hope they DO come... so we can treat them like Rocky Anderson and his people treated our guests from the American Legion national convention (because they invited George Bush to speak).

I wonder if the Mayor of SLC will be calling for anti-DNC protests, and setting up stages, venues, bands, and speakers for the anti-DNC protests... like the anti-Bush protests our mayor organized back when Bush was invited to speak at a convention in SLC...

Google "Rocky calls for Bush protest"...

===

I was being facetious.

I actually agree with what Dave Buhler said in the article...
    "I mean, do we want these big conventions in Salt Lake or not? It's not very hospitable of the mayor. We should welcome any president, no matter who he is"...

===

If Obama or Clinton came to speak at a convention... I think we would have some small demonstrations... but not organized, funded and encouraged by our Mayor (I hope)...

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    April 24, 2014 1:30 p.m.

You tell 'em Deseret News. We don't want any of that icky DNC money spent here.

Why is hosting a convention any more than just a money issue? Many, many conventions come to Salt Lake City every year and their participants spend a great deal of money. Does the Deseret News agree with the platform of every one of those groups?

Where I come from, a Democrat's money spends just the same as a Republican's. Why don't you ask the hotels and restaurants if they'd like to host the DNC Convention?

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 24, 2014 12:14 p.m.

Having Utah so deeply entrenched in the GOP must make this paper and owner very, very happy.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    April 24, 2014 11:56 a.m.

re: no fit in SG,

Are you claiming that the Republican Party has EVER had a plank in their platform that gave anyone the right to destroy an unborn baby? Unlike the Democrats, the Republicans do not think that anyone, including the mother, can destroy a life except in the case of rape, incest or imminent danger of death to the mother.

Maybe you'd better read the platform of each party. If you believe in abortion on demand, then say it, but don't try to say that the Republican Platform endorses abortion.

If you blame Reagan for the 1,000,000 deaths that occurred after he signed the California law to reduce "back room abortions", maybe you'd better read the history of what happened. Maybe you'd better read what HE said about those doctors who performed abortion on demand. Maybe you'd better read this quote: "If there is a question as to whether there is life or death, the doubt should be resolved in favor of life."

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2014 11:14 a.m.

@Gary O
    [". “Utah could be the next swing state . . "

If pigs could learn to fly, yes, it's very possible ]

Maybe Lee, Cruz, and friends will lose it and create a third party that's Tea Party based. Then we'd have a competitive 3 way election (kinda like Clinton getting 3rd behind Bush and Perot...).

• happy2bhere clearfield, UT
    April 24, 2014 9:46 a.m.

LDS Liberal

I've just got to ask. You said ...........Nazi Germany, North Korea, Communist China, Cuba. Are you making a comparison between Utah and those places? If so, why would you choose to live here. I'd move if I thought Utah was as bad as those places. And by the way, you can still move from here. In those places good luck getting out.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 24, 2014 9:34 a.m.

IF Democrats do come to Utah for their convention... I wonder if Rocky Anderson will use his old office to organize protests to harass and protest the convention speakers and guests???

That was a real sweat episode in Utah history... and how Democrats in Utah treat our convention guests...

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    April 24, 2014 9:17 a.m.

Mike Richards,
    Right, Just like the example of Republican wonderfulness, Ronald Reagan let unborn babies live?
    Apparently, you continue to forget about him.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 24, 2014 9:16 a.m.

Utah is far from a swing state.

And even IF we were... we will always have little or no impact on Presidential elections. The electoral college makes sure of that.

Utah has 6 electoral votes. States like California have 55. So no matter how we vote in Utah... they can wipe out our impact by just wining one county in California... so where are they going to campaign and invest their efforts?

Not Utah, that's for sure.

===

There are 538 electoral votes.. of which Utah can influence 6 of them... that's just a drop in the bucket no matter how you look at it.

Any smart candidate would fly over Utah and spend his time, money, and efforts to win the other 532 votes... Utah is a waste of time.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    April 24, 2014 8:56 a.m.

"....A community cannot and should not be true to something that it isn’t...."
    ______________________________

With a cow town mentality like that from the state’s leading news daily, Utah civic leaders have their work cut out for them. I suspect they are more forward-looking than the gloomy Deseret News editorial desk. They’re not unrealistic in assessing the state’s chances but they’re not defeatist either. That’s a big positive.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    April 24, 2014 8:54 a.m.

". “Utah could be the next swing state . . "

If pigs could learn to fly, yes, it's very possible that Utah could be the next swing state.

That's not likely though.

The people of Utah would have to abandon their comfortably-unaware collective mindset first and learn to think for themselves, and that is NOT going to happen any time soon.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    April 24, 2014 8:52 a.m.

Let the Democrats hold their convention here. If they come, they'll learn that Utah believes in the right to let unborn babies live. That is both a Utah value and a Republican value. They will learn that Utah believes in the right to work. That is both a Utah value and a Republican value. They will learn that Utah believes that the duties of the President are clearly written in the Constitution and that he is not a defacto "king". That is a Utah value and a Republican value.

Let them come. Let them see for themselves that when a people believe in something that has eternal truth, that the people prosper, that they are healthy, that they are industrious, that they sacrifice to raise families, that children are not considered a burden, but a blessing, that women honor the title of Mother.

Let them come.

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2014 8:39 a.m.

I have always wondered why more of our elected leaders do not focus more on local or state issues?

Example our Senator Lee. He has been in the news a lot in regard to national issues.
    Can any one tell me if he has introduced legislation that passed in regard to local or state issues here in Utah?

How about our Senator Hatch. As I remember during the last election he said he was so powerful in the Senate and he could get things done for Utah. What has he done for Utah in the past year?

Have either of our two Senators passed any legislation that benefits Utah?

Or does it matter?

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    April 24, 2014 8:28 a.m.

Utah?
    A Swing State?

That's funny --
    that's like calling Nazi Germany, North Korea, Communist China, or Cuba swing states.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    April 24, 2014 7:47 a.m.

"...focusing political...energies...".

Utah is a Republican ATM.

Money will continue to flow freely into the pockets of the Republican Political Machine.

Focused political energies.

Priceless.

• happy2bhere clearfield, UT
    April 24, 2014 7:02 a.m.

The day Utah becomes a "swing" state is the day there is ONE party rule in America. I don't hear anyone (except ex-pats like myself) griping about the Democrat dominance in huge electoral states like California, which used to be in the swing category. Now, the Democrat nominee does not even need to spend money there. The 50 something electoral votes are guaranteed. If I were a party leader, I'd be sure to have my parties convention in the true swing states like Ohio, or Pennsylvania, where the difference in Presidential elections are made. That whole swing state thing by the way is why I Hate the electoral college system in the first place. In the vote for President of the United States, which is the only election all Americans participate in, it should be an outright popular vote nationwide. Then we would not have this swing state nonsense going on and elections like 2000 would not happen. And I voted for Bush in that election but did not think he deserved to win the Presidency as he got some 500 thousand less votes than Gore. Ok I'm off my soapbox. LOL.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    April 24, 2014 6:45 a.m.

Couple things.

Making Utah the first "presidential primary" will not make Utah relevant in national politics.

Secondly, Utah will not land the Democratic National Convention. The venue is not decided on pretty mountains. It is used to help swing votes their way. And that cannot happen in Utah. It must have been a joke to put Utah on the list.

Look at the bright side. Utah will not get bombarded as much with the media blitz of a national campaign.

So, you have that going for you, which is nice.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    April 24, 2014 6:21 a.m.

The idea that the Democrats would or should come here for a convention is absurd.

• Makid Kearns, UT
    April 24, 2014 5:58 a.m.

Ah, this editorial must be right. Utah and any of its cities shouldn't do anything that is contrary to the Republican Party because Utah doesn't vote Democratic.

Let's start with roads. If Utah is bonding for it, that is debt and the Republican Party is against debt. No more moving funds from the General Fund either as that is a subsidy that affects more than just the rich or corporations and we can't have that either.

UTA must stay within its current tax level for services and expansion.

Schools immediately go to the voucher system as that is what Republicans want, even if voters don't.

That is the problem. Without a contrary opinion no new ideas are found. A company of “Yes” men will always fail.

Nearly 40% of the state votes Democratic for National Elections yet less than 20% of the State Government is Democrats due to Gerrymandering. Seems the Convention may be scaring State Republicans.

The “Quality of Life” in Utah is due to the 2 Parties working together, not a single party dictating what can and will be.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2014 1:07 a.m.

"A community cannot and should not be true to something that it isn’t." An odd sentence this.

So I guess Utah should be what it is? I guess that depends on what the meaning of "is" is. I'll take a shot at that anticipating what I think your response would be. Utah is socially conservative and fiscally conservative. Utah generally despises Democrats and particularly despises Obama (the "narcissist"). Utah is comfortable being a one party state, and really doesn't want it any other way.

But Utah's background is really quite different. Utah gave its electoral votes to FDR four times! Why? Because Utah, one of the hardest hit states in the Great Depression, was so grateful for New Deal money, which it received out of proportion because of highly placed Utahns in FDR's administration. My Dad had nothing but good things to say about FDR for that reason.

If the Democrats played their cards right (a whopping assumption) they could remind Utahns of these things and maybe change what Utah "is."