Faith

Normons: A site to prove just how normal Mormons are

Comments

• LiberalJimmy Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2014 3:21 p.m.

How interesting...A website designed to explain how "normal" your religion may be. Can someone please explain to me why Mormons are always attempting to prove this point and why it matters how non Mormons perceive your particular religion?

• LiberalJimmy Salt Lake City, UT
    April 25, 2014 3:17 p.m.

@Joe Blow...Excellent post Sir! Mormons here in Utah are most definitely different. Hopefully there will be many investigating this website.

• donn layton, UT
    April 25, 2014 7:50 a.m.

Moontan “For I, too, am pro-Bible”. Really?

(3 Ne.21:9). A Marvelous Work and Wonder. A Modern Translation, “ Therefore I will take awesome vengeance on these hypocrites, and make their wisest counselors as fools.” (Is 29:14 L.B) Or,

(Is 29:14 Septuagint)”Therefore behold I will proceed to remove this people, and I will remove them: *I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will hide the understanding of the prudent.”

Paul quotes from, Is 29:14 Septuagint, *I will Destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent” see,(1 Cor 1:19 KJV)

God denounces the policy of the Wise in Judah seeking an alliance with Egypt against Assyria. Fulfilled ultimately the Jews reject Jesus. “because ..the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.(1 Cor 1:18).

• Jack Aurora, CO
    April 24, 2014 6:30 p.m.

@donn
    When you are really "pro-Bible" then you will return to the LDS faith. They aren't exclusive, despite what the under-informed have to say.

@GaryO
    of course we won't forget, because folks like you will always be around to remind us. So, do you remind other faiths of those in their midst who may not be to your liking? Or do you only point out the glaring examples (Hoffman, Bundy) who may still have had membership but obviously strayed?

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    April 24, 2014 5:24 p.m.

@donn ... I'm all too familiar with the attitude you expressed re Christian vs Mormon. Having been baptized a Baptist at a very sincere 12, my entire family - immediate and extended - now think I've gone from 'born again' as you say, to, I suppose, the Unborn? :) But thankfully they see that in all other respects I am 'normal' - which of course is the intent of this new website.

The alleged distinction between 'I'm not Anti-Mormon, I'm pro-Bible' must be handled with care. When a non-Mormon Christian tells me I am a member of a cult, I write it off to a lack of knowledge in a sincere, good heart.(For I, too, am pro-Bible). The second attempt becomes harassment, badgering, in my opinion. An annoyance. This is the origin of the 'anti-Mormon' view you mentioned.

And don't you think it curious that the longer some staunchly anti-Mormons are around me, the more like it is that I will often hear "you know, maybe I'm wrong about the LDS Church. You don't seem all that weird to me."?

• Bernard GUi Puyallup, WA
    April 24, 2014 4:48 p.m.

Well, I don't know if I can go from being a Peculiar Person to being a Normon.
    I kind of like being peculiar....you know....in the world but not of the world.

• Jimmytheliberal Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2014 4:41 p.m.

How very interesting a website to prove and show how "normal" Mormons are. Good luck in Utah. Hopefully many will be investigating this site!

• Jimmytheliberal Salt Lake City, UT
    April 24, 2014 4:39 p.m.

@JoeBlow...May I say Sir excellent post, superior comment. You hit the heart of the matter dead on. Utah Mormons and The Planet Utah bubble. There truly is quite a difference with Mormons elsewhere.

• donn layton, UT
    April 24, 2014 4:13 p.m.

RE: Moontan,"Or than I'm not a secret member of the"... [Temple Masonic]? Utah the Beehive state symbol is used in Freemasonry as well.

My Father is a Normal Mason and my Father-in Law is a Normal Temple Mormon. Several times, I’ve tried to explain the similarities(at least 13) of the Temples secrets to them, they would not listen.

I was married in the Mormon church but left when I became a Christian which is normal when you are truly Born Again.
    My wife is a jack Mormon,not a normal Mormon. A lot of Mormons in Utah consider me Anti-Mormon but I’m really Pro-Bible.

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    April 24, 2014 2:32 p.m.

@Hank Pym ... Well, that too. Not having joined the LDS Church until 44, I've acquired plenty of reasons to give myself wide berth in any consideration. If I can get through the Pearly's on His merit alone, anybody can.

I'm slowly coming around to the idea behind showing people Mormon's are 'normal'. It is a nice website. I do think maybe some way of conveying 'not abnormal' might work better. Spending my Mormon years in hostile areas, I frequently have to deny having multiple wives. Frequently. Or than I'm not a secret member of the Klan. So the idea behind the website is indeed noble.

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    April 24, 2014 1:05 p.m.

She is right about one thing, that we are not “normal” in the sense of being like the rest of the world. Nor should we be. The world is corrupt, immoral, and full of evil at every turn. Latter-Day Saints ought to shun anything and everything that is contrary to the laws and commandments of God and that drives away the Spirit, and very rightly, most of them do (to some extent or another).

However, the idea that we should even need a blog to tell people how “normal” we are is in and of itself rather condescending and insulting. We shouldn’t have to explain these sorts of things to the world at this point, particularly after Mitt Romney, and were it not for persistent religious prejudice against us, misinformation being spread about us in the media and in mainline Protestant churches, and obscene, vulgar, and deceitful abominations like the Book of Mormon musical being celebrated in popular culture, we wouldn’t have to. Righteous indignation against society’s double standards may not win converts, but I think it would be more than justified at this point.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    April 24, 2014 11:49 a.m.

re: Moontan "In making an honest assessment of the world we live in, I cannot fathom anyone wanting to be considered a 'normal' member of it. No thank you - deal me out."

In other words... "I would not want to belong to any club that would have me as a member" - Groucho Marx

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    April 24, 2014 9:26 a.m.

Hey Ajax -

"With the likes of Cliven Bundy, Russell Pearce, Cleon Skousen, Glenn Beck, Mike Lee and a host of tens of thousands of hard right Utahns leading the way, Normans is fighting an uphill battle."

Don't forget Mark Hoffman and Ted Bundy.

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    April 24, 2014 8:35 a.m.

@GaryO .... Yes, normal people do.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    April 24, 2014 8:24 a.m.

"Normons?"

Do normal people make up funny names for themselves?

• jeanie orem, UT
    April 24, 2014 8:12 a.m.

Loved the website! Some of the articles were hilarious, "16 Reasons Buddy the Elf is Probably Mormon". Others were very honest and thought provoking. Good job demonstrating our "normalities" as well as our differences all wrapped in intelligent writing and wit.

• SCfan clearfield, UT
    April 24, 2014 7:13 a.m.

Ajax

If polls of the current trend are accurate, it will be the likes of Obama, Reid, Pelosi, Holder, Ed Schwartz, Steve Colbert, and the Clintons, who are going to fight be fighting an uphill battle.

• Ajax Mapleton, UT
    April 23, 2014 10:34 p.m.

• hermounts Pleasanton, CA
    April 23, 2014 8:14 p.m.

If someone says Mormons are "more normal than I thought," do they realize how insulting and condescending that sounds?

• TimBehrend Auckland NZ, 00
    April 23, 2014 7:16 p.m.

When you have to mount a campaign to prove that, by gum, you are normal it's pretty safe to assume that you're not. But both the prevalence and value of normalcy are vastly overblown.

• GB Silver Spring, MD
    April 23, 2014 7:07 p.m.

I applaud this website. Some commenters are really over-thinking this. It's not about being insecure, craving the world's approval, or conforming to worldly standards. It is a light-hearted website to let people know such things as (as The Caravan Moves On @ 9:07 AM said) Mormons can listen to rock music and are not polygamists. Clearing up misperceptions is a good thing. To those who enjoy being a peculiar people, don't worry; being in favor of this fun, lighthearted website does not take away your ability to be peculiar!

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    April 23, 2014 6:40 p.m.

After reading a few comments, it seems many missed the point of her creating the blog. She had many experiences with other people who were genuinely surprised she was Mormon b/c she didn't fit their preconceived ideas of what a Mormon is like. Anyway, congrats on a great blog and introducing others to who you are and how the church has shaped your life. I think it's great that you'd share somthing that is so meaningful to you.

• happy2bhere clearfield, UT
    April 23, 2014 5:17 p.m.

Having read all the posts so far, I tend to agree with the notion of "not" being normal. In a world that to me looks more and more like it, and its culture, are going off the deep end, I think todays Mormons, and even more so, tomorrows Mormons should look more and more out of the mainstream of society. As societies norms continue to change at a rapid pace, Mormons who just maintain the traditional standards should seem to be more and more out of step with modern times. Otherwise Mormons might find themselves moving their standards to try to keep pace with the mainstream of America. Today, more than ever, it is time to be seen as a really peculiar people.

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    April 23, 2014 4:48 p.m.

• petersenjc47 Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 23, 2014 4:36 p.m.

The challenge for this blog will be to explain how a "peculiar people" can also be normal.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    April 23, 2014 4:35 p.m.

A site to prove just how normal Mormons are’

+++

When the goal is to be a peculiar people, this isn't a good thing is it?

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    April 23, 2014 4:26 p.m.

EP,

The danger is in being judgmental.

The blogger is not at risk of that sin. Someone else here is.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    April 23, 2014 3:09 p.m.

Anything that can clear up some of the ridiculous misconceptions out there is of some positive value.

• EternalPerspective Eldersburg, MD
    April 23, 2014 3:07 p.m.

Lane

There was too much room for interpretation in what I implied with the 'homosexual blog' comments. For that I apologize if mercy was not present in my statements.

It is important as you said to recognize the difference between having same gender attraction as an affliction, and acting on it. I like you, admire anyone’s courage to come out with what must be a very difficult existence for someone who suffers from these feelings.

While he did not mention practicing that lifestyle, the suggestion that he could make such a decision in the future is dangerous. He is treading a line that could easily lead to self-justification of sin.

I encourage you to read back over the entire blog posting again and think about how someone who struggles from same-gender attraction might receive it. We all suffer from temptations whether of ourselves or by others.

Compassion is important, but so too is recognizing the subtle influence of evil that presents itself even with a good cause as this young man is trying to do. I don't judge him anymore than the next person. But, I do see danger of worldly influence in a mixed message.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    April 23, 2014 2:30 p.m.

All this time, I thought Normans were Vikings who settled in France.

• Lane Myer Salt Lake City, UT
    April 23, 2014 2:29 p.m.

EternalPerspective

Eldersburg, MD

I read some 'normon' web site content and blogs including one that all but justified the 'practice' of an openly homosexual lifestyle of a member. Many comments praised the young man for his 'openness' but how many saw the message it sends to self-justify sin?

--------------

My Dear EP,

I just read the same blog. Maybe you are not aware that openly admitting that you are gay (attracted to the same sex), is not a sin. Leaders have been saying that for quite a few years now. This young man admits to being gay and then admits to living a clean life. He is to be fully accepted and loved as a member, temple attender, and maybe someone who will serve in a bishopric or higher sometime in his life. He is doing what the Lord and the Elders of the church have commanded him.

I don't know what your idea of "openly homosexual lifestyle" is, but he is not living it.

I think you owe him an apology.

• Frank Fourth New York, NY
    April 23, 2014 1:16 p.m.

The conundrum is, if Mormons are like everybody else, what’s the point in being a Mormon. You could just be, well, like every body else.

• EternalPerspective Eldersburg, MD
    April 23, 2014 12:50 p.m.

Social media produced by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is truly a modern miracle and blessing for the world. There is no doubt the Lord's hand is in this hastening of the work of salvation.

The caution I felt while reading this article and examining small part of the web site is that we should be careful with trying to convince the world they need to accept us on their terms. Rather, we should be valiant in the testimonies we are given by living the Gospel of Jesus Christ the best we can.

Given the dramatic shifts in mainstream values and cultures in recent decades, we as a peculiar people need to be cautious with whether we are pleasing the world or sharing the Gospel in the ways that bring souls unto Christ. It can be a fine line of discernment often subject to individual interpretation.

My opinion is that if we follow the Savior in the paths He has given us by Priesthood authority, revelation, and scripture, than we cannot go amiss. But, if we trust too much in the arm of flesh, temptation will not be far behind.

• gmlewis Houston, TX
    April 23, 2014 12:28 p.m.

As a missionary, I was led into the jungle to be executed. I considered my immediate rescue by soldiers to be divinely guided. I once lost my job in a company downsizing, and wondered if my slightly anti-Mormon manager might have had something to do with it. Either way, my new job since then has been fantastic.

Insecure? Nope! I make it a daily pursuit to be valiant in my testimony, and trust that the Lord will bless me as I work to love and serve those around me.

Normal? Not by a long shot, but I think I'm appreciated for being me.

• sisucas San Bernardino, CA
    April 23, 2014 12:27 p.m.

When I moved to the Midwest in 2004 I was amazed that high-functioning, educated people thought that Utah was full of Amish people who drove wagons and had many wives. Their ignorance was astounding and shows that efforts like this are helpful and even necessary.

• bribri86 Phoenix, AZ
    April 23, 2014 11:27 a.m.

No thanks, I like being peculiar.

• garybeac Chapel Hill, NC
    April 23, 2014 11:26 a.m.

I've saying that I'm Mormon. I'm not. I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ. I still take opportunities to testify that Jesus is the Christ and to share my love of the Savior and how grateful I am for all He has done for me and all people in all times. If it comes up, I explain that Mormonism is a complex culture that has grown up around a simple faith, somewhat like Judaism, and that, even though Mormonism is a mostly positive culture lived by mostly good people, I work at not becoming a Mormon. It interferes with my ability to be honest and open. It's a mask, a happy mask, smiling and helpful, but still a mask. In Mormon culture, you don't say that Church leadership is infallible, but behind the mask, you believe it. The leaders have mostly been good people, so it's easy to believe it, but in truth, holding such a belief is blasphemy. I have a testimony of the living apostles, but I question everything they say. To not question is creepy. People aren't interested in creepy.

• EternalPerspective Eldersburg, MD
    April 23, 2014 10:59 a.m.

I'm a little concerned about this site to suggest members of the Savior's Church can be of the world and remain obedient to Christ. I think this is dangerous ground to tread upon in a day when we clearly know and have been warned by apostles and prophets not to be 'of the world', but to stand up for our beliefs by living the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Whenever perceptions of increased are created of assimilation with the modern mainstream culture, it reminds me of the scripture in Matthew 6:24, 'No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.'.

Likewise I think of the related scripture in Revelation 3:16, 'So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.';

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    April 23, 2014 10:07 a.m.

Necessary?

Yes. I think it's great that members tell about themselves and how they see the Gospel of Jesus Christ impacting their lives. The church is more than doctrine and practices...it's about how we use faith as a way to see others as children of God, as a means to approach our problems and challenges, to contribute to society, and try in our own way to make the world a better place.

I like this blog. Great job!!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 23, 2014 10:04 a.m.

@ The Caravan Moves On, thank you for substantiating my point. There are lots of uninformed people out there, not just about Mormons, but about politics, science, entertainers, and so on and so on. It will always be the case. Who cares if some have silly, ill-informed ideas about Mormons? I'm secure enough in myself and my religion that I'm not going to let myself get all twisted over it. Those with whom I deal know I'm fairly normal and it just isn't an issue. But I assert again, the LDS culture has an inherent, in the DNA, insecurity about itself and its place in the wider world. I have looked at this issue for a very long time and not only is it fascinating, but I don't know when we will evolve out of it.

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    April 23, 2014 10:00 a.m.

Myself, I never know whether to be ashamed or complimented when someone says "I didn't know you were a Mormon!"
    Not sure if I am not living my beliefs or if I am (I hope!) living them well!
    I do think I want to be "normal" if that includes loving my Savior and being a good person.
    This article has given me a lot to think about.
    Keep up your good work.

• jamesHH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 23, 2014 9:57 a.m.

I sang this song as a kid. There was a time when Mormons were proud of their uniqueness.

I’m a Mormon, yes I am!
    And if you want to study a Mormon I’m a living specimen.
    Maybe you think I’m just like anybody else you see,
    But trust in my word,
    You’ll quickly observe,
    I’m different as can be!

• Pendergast Salt Lake City, UT
    April 23, 2014 9:32 a.m.

to pragmatistferlife

wanting to be normal/accepted yet thinking they are special is IMO what causes the cognitive dissonance.

to Free Agency

"So let's all be normal, Mormon and non-Mormon alike--by truly being ourselves. Maybe we can put Prozac out of business!"

If one is truly at peace with themselves and their place in the world then they need for prozac nad the like goes away. The Quixotic journey to be "normal" is exactly what big Pharma, the retail industry, etc... want.

• Tall Tamz South Jordan, UT
    April 23, 2014 9:26 a.m.

This takes courage and I respect and encourage the author of the blog. Taking action on your feelings is a great skill. Keep it up!

• iluvnz Vernal, UT
    April 23, 2014 9:21 a.m.

I find it interesting that LDS people are perceived in so many different ways. If we (Mormons) try to be "normal", we are castigated for not living our religion and being hypocrites. If we do our best to live the values by which we have come to be known, we are perceived as too righteous or "holier than thou". This is not an attempt to play the "poor me" card, I'm merely making an observation. As Free Agency put it, "So lets all be normal...by truly being ourselves". Live your values and people will either accept you, or they won't. What really counts is our Savior's acceptance.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 23, 2014 9:20 a.m.

Necessary?

• Jamescmeyer Midwest City, USA, OK
    April 23, 2014 9:10 a.m.

On the one hand, I'd like to think that most people by now realize that latter day saints are relatable, fair, critically-thinking human beings after all that's gone on, the whole mormon.org revamp, and the general election.

On the other, the obsession people had with Mitt Romney's religion during said election (and the 2008 primaries), among many other things in my own life, say that it's still a major thing.

There is no insecurity or farce involved; the idea is to stand up and say "Hey, I'm a reasonable human being, and I know that I am a child of God." Other people increasingly try to render the two as mutually exclusive traits, ironically resulting in people who have neither.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    April 23, 2014 9:09 a.m.

Mormons outside are typically normal. They are also less judgemental and more inclusive in my opinion.

• birdbath SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 23, 2014 9:07 a.m.

It all depends on what normal is. If normal is keeping your mouth shut most of the time and living a good life, serving others inconspicuously, being a good neighbor/friend/family member. Being honest at work and in dealing with others. Being sober. I wish all those things were normal. I think they should be. I think many people can and should achieve to be this type of normal, but the truth is, these qualities are not the norm (not for many LDS). Popularity seems to be the norm these days. Nice clothes, nice house, big title at work, the picture perfect family. Unfortunately that is the norm for lots and lots of LDS folks.

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    April 23, 2014 9:07 a.m.

@ Esquire - Springville, UT - "A Mormon who claims not to know "everything" about the Church - I don't know what is really meant by that. But trying convince others that Mormons are "normal" is just another manifestation of Mormon cultural insecurity and a desire to be accepted. This goes back to the Brigham Young days, and is apparently so ingrained into the culture that perhaps it will always be."

A "manifestation of Mormon cultural insecurity"?

Yeah, it's gotta be that.....

Please stop trying to read into this something it so clearly is not.

This is simply a member of the LDS church letting others, who are not familiar with LDS belifes, things like....

- we listen to rock music
    - we only have one wife
    - we use electricity
    - we use cell phones and computers
    - we don't all have 12 kids (heck, most of us DON'T have more than 4 or 5 these days)
    - we don't worhsip purple octopuses (heard that one in Korea.....yes, really)
    - we don't worship Joseph Smmith
    - we don't have horns on our heads
    - we do believe in Jesus Christ

To the creators of "Normons"...nice job!

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    April 23, 2014 8:52 a.m.

I have to admit I find this whole conversation, about whether or not some LDS people are trying too hard to be "normal", more than a little baffling.

I understand the angst regarding the importance of not being too far outside the norms of society and the negative consequences of consequently being regarded by too many (you can decide what percentage "too many" is) as unwanted or undesirable. There are many examples of social outcasts (religious minorities, racial minorities, etc.) from both our past and present that offer ample evidence of the down sides of being outside the "in crowd".

But, if my understanding of LDS and most other Christian doctrine is correct, then it would seem the ideal interpretation of social acceptance is completely universal and excludes no one. In other words, normalcy and social standing in general has no meaning. The "in crowd" includes **everyone**. I think that was the whole point of the parable of the Good Samaritan. We are ALL children of the same Heavenly Father (God) who loves each one of us, individually, exactly the same, whether we are "normal" in the context of our human societies or not.

So, "normal" is a faulty metric.

• Pendergast Salt Lake City, UT
    April 23, 2014 8:40 a.m.

to happymomto9 & Esquire... Kudos. The 1st things I thought of as well were being a "peculiar people" & Insecurity.

**normal is another persons definition of what is socially acceptable**

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    April 23, 2014 8:12 a.m.

This Norman site is part of individual members of the Church being asked by Pres. Ballard to not let others misinform the world about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
    Individual members have the ability to publish about themselves with today's www.

• Free Agency Salt Lake City, UT
    April 23, 2014 8:04 a.m.

@happymomto9

Re: your mentioning of why so many Mormons are on Prozac or addicted to other meds, I'm not sure what conclusion you're drawing: do you think it's because the Mormon Gospel is so hard to live? Or because Mormons have stopped being a "peculiar people?"

From what I've read, a major reason for the Prozac and meds is because it's hard for many Mormons to live up to the Mormon ideal of getting everything done breezily and cheerfully--e.g., "Molly Mormon." And these people are depressed because they think there's something wrong with them, when everyone else seems to be doing it all just fine. (But *are* they? Or, outside of the public eye, are they depressed too?)

The greatest irony about being normal is that it's normal *not* to be just like everyone else. We're all individuals. And the moment we try to force ourselves into fitting perfectly into some template--we stop being normal! And we pay for that with things like depression.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    April 23, 2014 7:29 a.m.

That's what we non believers have been trying to tell you forever. You are just normal folks (some whacky beliefs, but then all religions have those)no special powers, no special status, no exclusive information. Just normal folk with all the problems of the rest of us.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 23, 2014 7:20 a.m.

• happymomto9 Saratoga Springs, UT
    April 23, 2014 7:16 a.m.

I love the concept of being "relate-able" but I must confess that as a convert I have been greatly disappointed how "normal" so many Mormons are. especially here in utah members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints seem to do the minimum. they don't want to risk being a different by being more righteous.
    what happened to being a "peculiar" people?
    why are so many addicted to meds or on prozac? the Gospel should be setting us free. but it just seems to be stressing us out!

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    April 23, 2014 7:15 a.m.

Sadly, we as a nation, are so grossly under educated, that many Americans still know very little about Mormons, especially in the East Coast and Deep South. The major news agencies certainly do not accommodate the LDS church, like other special interest groups, in terms of educating the general public.
    Even with Mitt Romney having run 2x for president, along with the exposure of many LDS entertainers, athletes, businessmen, politicians, etc, most Americans don't have a clue. And as far as other religions are concerned, they most definitely don't have their facts correct, concerning our beliefs, for the most part. This is an indirect indictment against our country's collective IQ, IMHO.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    April 23, 2014 6:43 a.m.

As far as the religion, lots of religions have quirks that could appear "weird" to others. I dont find the LDS religion any "weirder" then others.

Now, when it comes to culture, I have had mixed experiences.

In LA, I had a close working relationship on a project with a LDS from LA.

He was normal. I enjoyed working with him. He was non judgmental and accepting.

My experience in Utah was a bit different. I think that the concentration of LDS in Utah fosters an attitude that is hard for "an outsider" to feel comfortable in.

When you are completely surrounded by those who have very similar beliefs and attitudes, it becomes easy to be emboldened with what is normal and right. One can become rigid in their thinking and become intolerant of those different from the norm.

I.E, In Utah, everyone knows it is wrong to drink a beer or play golf or mow your lawn on Sunday. And some may feel justified in telling you so. In LA? They would not think of it, LDS or not.