Two bodies discovered near Provo's Squaw Peak

• oddman ,
    April 21, 2014 10:53 p.m.

Not all deaths are caused from careless climbers and dangerous terrain. Sometimes they are a convenient manner of ending a life of depression or for other reasons too numerous to mention and the discovered bodies may have intended to not be found.

• AZKID Mapleton, UT
    April 21, 2014 4:27 p.m.

As a freshman at BYU many years ago, two friends and I decided to climb Squaw Peak. I naively wanted to go straight up the spectacular cliffs. The others prevailed upon me to take the safe route that was further to the north.

I have been forever grateful for the sensible choice that my friends helped me make that day. We had a spectacular--and safe--hike.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    April 21, 2014 3:28 p.m.

I think it is fairly obvious that the area is dangerous based on, you know, the cliffs and such. Why should they have to put warning signs that it is dangerous? If that is the case both the city and mountains will be full of 'warning' signs. Utah probably has tens of thousands of cliffs that can kill a person that falls. People need to start taking personal accountability and responsibility for themselves.

• annewandering oakley, idaho
    April 21, 2014 2:51 p.m.

I am not sure why there can't be some common sense safety measures. At the very least a warning that the area is dangerous for casual hiding if there isn't one there already.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    April 21, 2014 9:49 a.m.

no comment

If you have ever read any of my previous posts, you would know I was being sarcastic for those people who are so against base jumping, going in abandoned mines, and anything else dangerous. I am all for doing extreme activities, but we can't ban some of them because we think they are too dangerous (base jumping, spelunking) We must allow everybody to do activities that they choose, regardless of whether we think they are reckless or not.

I concur!

• airnaut Everett, 00
    April 21, 2014 9:47 a.m.

I agree with Brahmabull

More people have died at Squaw Peak than smoking pot.

Pot is banned,
    Squaw Peak is not.

Facts are facts.

Is this really about public safety, or public opinion?

• no comment New Orleans, LA
    April 21, 2014 9:35 a.m.

Ban hiking? Are you crazy?

Instead we should put safety railing everywhere hikers roam. We should include non-skid adhesive treads on all rock surfaces. In areas of high sun exposure, we could build canopies- or where that is unreasonable, provide spf100 sunscreen dispensers.

All hikers could be tested for physical condition and agility, and trails could be rated and limited to only those who physically qualify.

The most important thing is to create a new government agency to protect the public against the dangers of nature. Of course we would need a Public Safety Czar in Washington who is allowed to operate outside of the law in order to protect us.

Think of all of the good government jobs that we would create!

• Cleetorn Fuaamotu, Tonga
    April 21, 2014 9:16 a.m.

Brahmabull, maybe we should ban sarcasm, too.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    April 21, 2014 8:45 a.m.

I have spent a fair bit of time up in that area, it's very pretty but despite the proximity to Provo, is very lightly visited and used. Someone could definitely get lost or injured and never be found for a very long time.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    April 21, 2014 8:40 a.m.

Lets ban hiking. Too many deaths, and way too dangerous.

• Sore loser tampa, fl
    April 21, 2014 4:29 a.m.

That place is dangerous. I was hiking up it once and almost got knocked off a cliff by this huge boulder that came loose. Another dude kept me from falling off. That boulder caused a huge rock slide that almost took out some picknickers down below, but they ran up the side of a ravine and got out of the way. One time we lost our way back down and kept running into cliffs. It got dark and cold and we were without warm clothes but luckily found a way down after while.