Faith

The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on list of life-changing books

Comments

• Stormwalker Cleveland , OH
    April 20, 2014 6:54 p.m.

@Avenue:

@Stormwalker
    I think the reason you don't "get it" is that you have the wrong mindset. You need to search, ponder, and pray when reading something as important as this. Our prophets have told us to pray, and we will receive a spiritual confirmation that The Book of Mormon is true.

********************

I'll treat this as advice, not condescension. I read, pondered, prayed and studied for years.

I finally realized it was all "the man behind the curtain," as true as the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus. Little kids believe in all-knowing invisible being that judges, rewards, and punishes. Adults do the same.

I'm glad your faith works. But Baptists and Buddhists, Jews and Jainists, Mormons and Muslims, Pagans and Presbyterians, Wiccans and Wesleyans all claim to have the one true way that will bring happiness and joy in the sweet bye-and-bye. (Sez so on the label. Some also claim "new and improved" and "builds strong bones 12 ways.")

Sorry, not trying to be harsh. I do live the golden rule, believe in Karma, and see reincarnation as the system that approaches sense.

• Willem Los Angeles, CA
    April 20, 2014 12:31 p.m.

Mormon propaganda.

• RobertA Salt Lake, UT
    April 18, 2014 11:38 p.m.

I think it is great that the Book of Mormon has changed so many lives. So glad to see it at #1. It has always been #1 for me. Except for when I was a rebellious teen, then I probably might have put it at #2. But as a young teen I did not understand the depth and beauty of the book.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    April 18, 2014 3:16 p.m.

"Real intent" implies that one is willing to act on their promptings. If one reads the BoM a dozen times without real intent it is a futile exercise. The fact that it has changed so many lives for the better illustrates that it can. Failure to receive the BoM message is not a reflection on the book.

• crimendelsiglo Spanish Fork, UT
    April 18, 2014 12:06 p.m.

BRAHMA - i don't doubt for a second abt your testimony of BoM. i've known a few (1 personally) who claimed a revelation abt BoM - specifically that it is not true. i'd like to hear yours if you agree and DN lets my email server thru - gmail. i'm doing a study on the processes of revelation. thnx

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    April 18, 2014 9:50 a.m.

The enthusiasm (and associated link which is now missing) sure has changed as the content of the list changed.

• voiceofreason1234 SANDY, TX
    April 17, 2014 10:27 p.m.

That is just awesome! The book has certainly changed my life! Hallelujah!

• sharrona layton, UT
    April 17, 2014 9:04 p.m.

Goosehuntr,” I know the Book of Mormon to be the confirming witness of the Bible, ”As far as Translated correctly.
    Mosiah 3:7, “ Luke 22:43-44, Blood”, the very serious doubts as to these verses’ authenticity, they are put in brackets and noted by Modern translations .
    In 3 Nephi 13:12, (Jesus)“ deliver us from evil”(KJV). Did Jesus teach the Nephites an abstract prayer in 34 A.D.? The correct translation, Mt 6:13 NIV is “deliver us from “the evil one”( Satan G,= tou ponerou).JS even copied the errors.

RE: Avenue,“Have you even read it? Even reading the first few chapters and reading the Book of Mormon”:” …the mysteries of God(1Nephi 1:1 & 2:16) = (1Cor 4:1) ...make it with mine own hand(1Nephi 1:3)=written it with mine own hand (Philemon 19) …steadfast and immovable(1Nephi 2:10)=(1Cor 15:58) …being grieved because of the hardness of their hearts(1Nephi 2:18)=(Mark 3:5) …with lowliness(1Nephi 2:19)=(Eph 4:2).

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    April 17, 2014 7:47 p.m.

This is cool I guess, but if it’s just Latter-Day Saints voting en masse (perhaps multiple times), it doesn’t say as much as it might appear to at first glance. I hope that its being on this list encourages more people who haven’t read it yet to do so. It truly is the most life-changing book on Earth, even moreso than the Bible.

• Samuel Adams Layton, UT
    April 17, 2014 7:22 p.m.

@ Mark

What about hoping that it was not true? It would have made life much easier (no tithing, mission, callings) if the answer was not true. I was, however, open to the answer that came and the more difficult answer came.

I agree with those that say this list does not mean much. Such lists/polls are fickle and I "don't take them seriously in the least."

Cheers

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    April 17, 2014 6:45 p.m.

So let's see. How do we know the BOM is true? Well, we really really really believe it is. How do we find out that it's true? Well, we really really really want to believe that it's true.

You have to have an open mind, and you have to really want to know it's true, and you have to study it with an open mind to its truth, and you have to sincerely pray that it's true. And you'll get a warm fuzzy.

And none of you guys see a problem with that?

Oh I know, I know, you'll say you have a deep and abiding knowledge that it's true. The problem is that many people believe things, with a deep and abiding knowledge, that just ain't so.

But hey, whatever flips your switch. Really. But just don't expect people that use a bit more, uh. . . critical thinking to believe in something that clearly has serious problems conforming, at all, to the historical record.

Don't expect most people to take it seriously in the least.

For instance, do you take Scientology at all seriously? Same thing.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    April 17, 2014 5:00 p.m.

The Bible changes our behaviour; the Book of Mormon changes the heart; both are necessary, from Eve and Adam, to the prophet Peter, and to the Apostle Joseph Smith, there is more and more light for the human personality.

• grip Meridian, ID
    April 17, 2014 4:58 p.m.

We are often "down" on what we are not up "on". Read the words of Moroni, chapter 10: verse 4. Try it, you will like it. Do you know of any other book with promises found in this scripture. Another scripture in the Book of Mormon is found it the book of Ether, Chaper 12, verse 27. It has been a help to me for many years.

• DiscernIt Payson, UT
    April 17, 2014 3:33 p.m.

@Brahmabull

Missionary discussions may be given and the Book of Mormon handed out. That doesn't mean that it is read. I can't tell you how many times we would go back and visit someone that we had given the Book of Mormon to that hadn't read it. Your comment that, "More people have received the answer that it isn't true then people that have received the answer that it is true." People don't do what is required to get an answer and therefore it must not be true right? Also, many comments on this discussion are outside the state of Utah, VA, NY, WA, NV.

• dr.bridell mclean, VA
    April 17, 2014 1:44 p.m.

PLEASE take this story down!
    What a huge insult to the Book of Mormon to be in the top 10 list with such obscene and horrific books!

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    April 17, 2014 1:28 p.m.

@Brahmabull ... How many people embracing a lifestyle of any type of sin - any type at all - are open-minded enough to receive a testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon? Moroni promised an intellectual/emotional affirmation, not a hammer upside the head. We aren't going to see any light at all if we refuse to remove the blinders.

• Diberry Vancouver , WA
    April 17, 2014 1:19 p.m.

What books have changed my and for that matter, your life? It is an important question. It brings understanding of what defines you. I had to dig for what was meaningful. My vote on this poll brought the number for, ‘The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ,' to 24. This book has throughout my life defined spirituality for me. The most people voting on this list are also seeking goodness, the light in life. So many of our choices now days, revolve around what is good, what is better and what is best. Vishen Lakiani, founder of Mind Valley, has a goal to touch a billion lives for good by 2050. I find much of the information shared there to be inspiring, uplifting and challenging. My personal goals are embarrassingly much much smaller, so small in fact, I didn't think to pass on information about this poll though it is a simple thing to do. Just a click. So what other books have you let impact your life for good lately? Share.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    April 17, 2014 1:18 p.m.

maclouie

you really think that a sample size of 35 comments in a Utah and mormon based newspaper is a good indication of the reality? I am going off of the number of converts per year, compared to the number of missionary discussions given per year. You do the math.

• maclouie Falconer, NY
    April 17, 2014 12:12 p.m.

Brahmabull:

Not according to the comments here.

• keiko42 weber, UT
    April 17, 2014 12:08 p.m.

Sorry my sheep, the number 1 spot goes to Mein Kampf it takes the number 1 and ties for 1st place Mein Kampf followed by moot in 2nd, go kill your self in 3rd and the b of m in 4th.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    April 17, 2014 10:44 a.m.

bj-hp

You are misleading with the claims you are making. Millions aren't converted per year. Look at the numbers. Furthermore, you are basically saying Moroni's promise works, you just have to keep reading and keep reading and keep praying until you get the answer. More people have received the answer that it isn't true then people that have received the answer that it is true.

• MoreMan San Diego, CA
    April 17, 2014 9:54 a.m.

You might want to check the stats again... further revelation I guess,

• JPSartre Sandy, UT
    April 17, 2014 9:44 a.m.

I honestly believe that most Mormons have to delude themselves into thinking they love reading the Book of Mormon. Just like the psychology of bearing your testimony, if you keep telling yourself you love it, you will start to believe it.

This is the one of the most boring books I have ever read. The sad part is, most active members have to force themselves to read it each day but they think the problem is with them, not the book. It's analogous to an abusive relationship..."It must be me. It's true. I didn't vacuum today so the BOM hit me and I deserve it. I know the BOM loves me."

• goosehuntr Tooele, UT
    April 17, 2014 9:09 a.m.

Everything good and lasting that has come into my life... from my childhood, to my amazing wife and children I owe to the Book that transformed my life. I shudder to think where I would be had I not been affected by the power of the Book of Mormon. The message is simple... "Come Unto Christ." and once you do, "Always Remember Him." No more powerful messages could ever be given, and no greater change in life, freedom and happiness could be found anywhere else. It is so simple a child can understand it, but the book is also so deep and complex that it challenges the greatest of minds. Indeed, I know the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly, and I know the Book of Mormon to be the confirming witness of the Bible, and that it dispenses the doctrine of Christ in it's purest form translated only once. Wise of God to establish two witnesses of Him independently of one another. God be thanked for the amazing gift of the Book of Mormon and the lives lost in preserving it for us.

• clutterfly salt lake city, UT
    April 17, 2014 9:03 a.m.

I've read the Book of Mormon many times and find great truths in it. And I've read several other books on this list as well and found guiding principals in them. However determining popularity by public media and voting consensus will never reveal those truths. This is a popularity contest for votes.

The real influence of the Book of Mormon--or any book--is how a person lives and reacts after reading it. With this list now including "Mein Kampf", again, I get suspicious about the credibility of the list at all.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    April 17, 2014 8:55 a.m.

Eh. . . It's fiction.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    April 17, 2014 8:38 a.m.

Cats

I know by personal revelation that it isn't true. And just because you accept it as truth does not make it true.

• Avenue Vernal, UT
    April 17, 2014 8:20 a.m.

@Stormwalker

• will7370 LOGAN, UT
    April 17, 2014 7:50 a.m.

This list means absolutely nothing. I LOVE the Book of Mormon and have received a powerful witness of its truthfulness. However, this list is just a social media voting contest. As I write, Hitler's Mein Kampf is at #1 & 2 now. The BOM has slipped down to number 4.

The best test would have been to see what book made the top of the list naturally, without campaigning or advertising. This voting is just a game now.

• elarue NEW YORK, NY
    April 17, 2014 6:48 a.m.

I was going to say we should all be skeptical of a list of influential books that includes "Mein Kampf." But it sounds like others have made my point for me.

I guess we should give added skepticism to the fact that the list also includes a book called "How to Kill Yourself."

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    April 17, 2014 12:08 a.m.

The Book of Mormon is the revealed word of God and the book that can change lives for those who are sincere seekers of truth.

If someone rejects the BofM, it doesn't make it any less true. Some people reject it due to their own personal emotional problems and a variety of other personal issues. Not because it isn't true. I know from personal revelation that it is true. I invite everyone to bring joy into their own lives by reading it and benefiting there from.

• KellyWSmith Sparks, NV
    April 16, 2014 11:47 p.m.

Since May of 1986 I have read the Book of Mormon every day (except about 50 days) and have found it to be more than life changing. It is my guide and director when I am ready and willing to listen to the answer. I have 4 sets of scriptures all marked up and I am reading it now on my iPad making comments along the way that I could not fit in my other books (even though I have hundred of Post-it Notes in them).

I love this book. I love receiving revelation while reading it and I can always gauge my spirituality by what I receive while reading it.

The Book of Mormon is not on trial here, we are. If you haven't read it, please do so and pray about its truthfulness. I know it is the word of God and it can help you in your life, no matter where you are.

• ThinksIThink SEATTLE, WA
    April 16, 2014 10:42 p.m.

Now Mein Kampf and Book of Mormon are ranked #1 and #2 respectively.

I don't see any of my favorite books on the list.

• Stormwalker Cleveland , OH
    April 16, 2014 9:53 p.m.

@Avenue

At least a dozen times. Along with extensive study using a lot of books on varied topics. I was convinced if I looked long enough and hard enough I'd finally "get" it. I finally realized there was nothing to get.

I still have one original edition Nibley on my shelf - somebody I care about gave it I me so I keep it.

I find far more wisdom in the Tao Te Ching. Ironically, a line from Nibley about the eastern roots of many ancient middle eastern practices led me to look at Taoism in the first place.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    April 16, 2014 9:28 p.m.

@bj-hp
    " It remains the conversion of millions every year"

If I recall correctly from conference numbers there were just under 300k converts and under 200k new births (I forget the term) last year.

"Failure to receive an affirmative answer lies entirely with the person and not with the Lord or the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon."

I'm sure you understand that I cannot possibly agree with that statement since that statement requires belief that the Book of Mormon is true which of course is an assumption I don't accept. I understood where it comes from when Patriot typed it. I'm just saying it's insulting.

• Avenue Vernal, UT
    April 16, 2014 8:47 p.m.

@Stormwalker
    Have you even read it? Even reading the first few chapters and reading the Book of Mormon when I was a teenager changed my life in a way that nothing else could have.

• bj-hp Maryville, MO
    April 16, 2014 8:44 p.m.

Schnee: Whether it is insulting to you or not is really not the question. That is what is required to get an affirmative answer. It takes an open mind, a contrite spirit and a definite willingness to change. Failure to be any of those and the answer will almost always be negative. The Moroni promise is real. It has been for me and for millions others. It remains the conversion of millions every year because of the truths it has within its cover. Not even the Bible can compare with it. The Book of Mormon is for our day more than any other book on earth. Failure to receive an affirmative answer lies entirely with the person and not with the Lord or the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon.

• sharrona layton, UT
    April 16, 2014 8:21 p.m.

RE: Gmlewis, “What things"?

The BoM often agrees with the Bible: Mosiah 27 … God should come down among the children of men, and take upon him flesh and blood, and go forth upon the face of the earth.

(1 Tim 3:16)… God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory”. God becomes man not man becomes God.

Vs (Mormon Doctrine Bruce McConkie p. 192)”Christ the Firstborn, was the mightiest of all the spirit children of the Father”

(Mosiah 25) if they be evil they are consigned to an awful aview of their own guilt and abominations, which doth cause them to shrink from the presence of the Lord into a state of misery andcendless torment, from whence they can no more return; therefore they have drunk damnation to their own souls.

(Mt 10:28)...fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell(gehenna)
    & Heb 9:27) Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment.

Vs Baptism for the dead necessary for salvation (D&C 1:25)

• John Locke Ivins, , UT
    April 16, 2014 8:07 p.m.

It will change your life if you read it and pray to receive a confirmation of its truths. It doesn't need awards...it is an reward in itself.

• Stormwalker Cleveland , OH
    April 16, 2014 7:01 p.m.

The Secret had a powerful impact on my life.

The Book of Mormon? Not so much.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    April 16, 2014 5:17 p.m.

@patriot
    "The key words here are 'truly' and 'open mind' and 'honest heart'."

Those are also the words that are insulting to someone like myself who read it and didn't get an affirmative answer regarding "Moroni's promise".

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 16, 2014 4:47 p.m.

@Sasha Pachev

"Cursory reading of the Book of Mormon, however, will not reveal its true depth. When the mind and the spirit are not tuned in, it will look like a tedious sequence of words that do not make much sense. Which unfortunately is what happened to a lot of readers, including even the great Mark Twain. But the book nevertheless has the depth, and many people of all walks of life and levels of education have seen it."

---------
    I agree completely. I have always felt that the Book of Mormon and its "depth" is like a fractal - the more you examine it, the more you discover. And it delivers on this over and over, again and again. But a trivial inspection is not enough. Even a good inspection is not enough, i.e. "clinging" to the Iron Rod is not enough. A full, life-long dedication and study is required, i.e. "Hold fast to the Iron Rod" as the book itself teaches. That is what it takes to realizes its depth and eternal value.

• crimendelsiglo Spanish Fork, UT
    April 16, 2014 4:46 p.m.

it is still changing my life, since boyhood to 73yo. i love to read it; it makes me believe again each time

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    April 16, 2014 4:28 p.m.

@Moontan
    And now it's 10th, guess the "internet" finally got aware of this list. Kinda like how that "name our baby" poll had Chthulu (probably misspelled that) as the number 1 choice.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    April 16, 2014 4:27 p.m.

any person who has an 'honest heart' and is 'truly' searching for spiritual truth and reads this book with an 'open mind' will find that their life changes for the better ...in amazing ways....during and after they read The Book Of Mormon. The key words here are 'truly' and 'open mind' and 'honest heart'.

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    April 16, 2014 4:00 p.m.

Correction: In the time it took me to type my first post, Hitler's 'Mein Kampf' rose from 25 to 22. Thank for Lord for the BoM.

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    April 16, 2014 3:56 p.m.

I heartily agree with the #1 selection. Bravo. And #17 ... it was the inspiration of Yes' 1974 album (vinyl, thank you) "Tales From Topographic Oceans" ... magnificent music. But look what clocked in at #25. ?? Yet additional proof that one needs to grasp the Book of Mormon firmly, and know it and live it.

• Sasha Pachev Provo, UT
    April 16, 2014 3:54 p.m.

While the excitement about making the top of this list might be a bit premature, the Book of Mormon, nevertheless, is a life-changing book. It was for me 21 years ago, and continues to be today. Cursory reading of the Book of Mormon, however, will not reveal its true depth. When the mind and the spirit are not tuned in, it will look like a tedious sequence of words that do not make much sense. Which unfortunately is what happened to a lot of readers, including even the great Mark Twain. But the book nevertheless has the depth, and many people of all walks of life and levels of education have seen it.

• Itsme2 SLC, UT
    April 16, 2014 3:13 p.m.

I don't need a list to tell me that the Book of Mormon is a life-changing book. It is the single greatest book, along with the Bible. They have both changed my life for the better.

• clutterfly salt lake city, UT
    April 16, 2014 3:05 p.m.

I went to the link to see what other books are listed, and I think the list really isn't a good representation of influential books available. When #2 is "The Secret" and #4 is the fictional "Celestine Prophecy" I doubt the credibility of the data gathered.

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    April 16, 2014 2:42 p.m.

"This is an example of what Latter-day Saints can do when we stand for what we believe and we share it with others,"

What, exactly, did you do? Win a social media vote? Last week Penn State fans won the vote to declare Joe Paterno the best football coach in the history of the Big Ten Conference. I guess that goes to show what Penn State fans can do when they stand up for their belief that they are better than other programs.

• gmlewis Houston, TX
    April 16, 2014 2:20 p.m.

During my young teen years, I formulated some essential questions that no religious leader I met could answer. I visited many faith groups, and each time I was told that "nobody knows these things." Finally, I was invited to read The Book of Mormon. Within the first few pages, I recognized the answer to one of those questions. By the time I was half-way through the book, I had had all my questions answered to my complete satisfaction. It undoubtedly changed my life.