Sports

Utah football: Utes are eager to pick up the pace offensively

Comments

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    April 15, 2014 2:35 p.m.

You have to admit, after all the mockery of "go fast, go hard," to see that be a prime objective for Utah is just plain funny.

Mind you, I still like the philosphy. I am puzzled, because I see a lot of records of teams that hurry it up, and it isn't pretty. But then again, who wouldn't want to be Oregon? And if the old fuddy duddies of college football were trying to legislate it out of existence, there must be something to it.

PokyUte, thanks for a moment of candor! In salute to U, I'll say, "Go Utes!"

For now.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    April 15, 2014 11:31 a.m.

@ Myperspective
    "The Utes played up tempo last year but they weren't so up tempo that they were out of control and they certainly don't have cute terminology to describe what they are doing."

Seems that pocyUte ["This is something Utah has been trying to do on offense since the days of ShramRod as OC. Last season the team called it Nascar, but we STILL didn't ever see it."] is trying to correct you and he notes that you STILL never made your "cute terminology" 'Nascar' work.

Last season the team called it Nascar, but we STILL didn't ever see it."

@2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0
    "We show on the field and then point to the scoreboard. byu fans talk for months and then pretend the scoreboard doesn't matter."

You talk about showing it on the field when your records of the past several years have stunk up the field?

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 15, 2014 11:06 a.m.

I'm looking forward to this coming season with cautious optimism that we finally have the coaches in place to make the best use of the talent we have on offense and make some things happen. I don't care what the tempo is of the offense as long as they move the ball consistently and score enough points to compete and win at least half their games. The offense side of this team has got to turn it around this season or Coach Witt's behind will be burning.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 15, 2014 9:15 a.m.

@utesfan33

Don't be to surprised when Chase Hansen does not return to the university of utah. Most of his reasons for going there to begin with are no longer there.

• UtesFan33 South Jordan, UT
    April 15, 2014 8:44 a.m.

Having 8 quarterbacks is still insane to me, however, I do see Donovan Isom redshirting and Micah Thomas already moved to WR. Jason Thompson, the Wyoming transfer will not play until next season. So we will still have 5 QB's assuming Wilson is healthy. I hope we can remain consistent and that all these players will get an opportunity to play or explore new positions. Next year, Chase Hansen returns from a mission. This QB situation is better than ever, but we've go too many!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 15, 2014 8:15 a.m.

StGSLC:
    I agree, it is juvenile, and there are fans on both sides that do it. I will protect my side though, and from BYUs perspective I don't see how a team that has 1/3 the hardware and fanbase of another team can call them little brother. Does that make any sense to you? I also agree, however, that Utah has been the better program over the last decade so BYU certainly isn't big brother to them right now either. Cheers

• 2020 Herriman, UT
    April 15, 2014 7:45 a.m.

I will say in the late 70s and early 80s, it was clearly better to be a Cougar than a Ute. However, these days, it is clearly better to be a Ute than a Cougar.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    April 14, 2014 10:30 p.m.

No matter which school we're talking about, when it comes to Spring Practice, I stand with Alan Iverson.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 14, 2014 9:57 p.m.

Cougsndawgs, in that regard, then, should Utes fans not have the same objection to being called "little brother" by fans of a team that was very good for a period, but since has been pretty comparable, and usually ending up on the short side of the matchups? Frankly, I agree with you, the whole namecalling and "big brother-little brother" thing is quite juvenile, but that mentality is not exclusive to one side, despite the diehards on each side claiming so.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 14, 2014 9:24 p.m.

StGSLC:
    I fear you haven't grasped what I was saying. I was making an analogy about big brother, little brother trash talking. I wasn't comparing BYU to Notre Dame, any more than I was comparing Utah to Oregon in my analogy. I was talking about rivalries, and the idea of some ute fans (I don't include you because you usually know better) that BYU is Utah's "little brother" when the evidence doesn't come close to supporting any such claim. Read my post again...I'm not comparing BYU to Notre Dame (I think you've seen my posts enough to know I wouldn't make such a comparison). I'm comparing the "big brother" syndrome using another rivalry as an example (like ND v Purdue, or USC v Oregon). I'm not saying BYU comes anywhere near ND anymore than Utah comes near Purdue or Oregon (who's histories are also greater than Utah's just like NDs is greater than BYU). I apologize if I wasn't clear or made you think I was stating that BYU is in any way equal to ND.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 14, 2014 8:41 p.m.

Uteology:
    Congrats on your 2 great years in CFB...quickly becoming a small blip in history. How's your recent bowl history? How is your "prestigious conference" affiliation going? Still haven't reached 10 wins in 3 years of play...not good. When 2030 comes around will you still be beating your chests about your two great seasons, way back in 2004 & 2008? Yes, you will because that's all U will have to talk about. There won't be any conference championships or "BCS" seasons between now and then. I said when they joined and I'll say again, Utah will never win a PAC12 championship because they're outclassed. I'm not saying BYU would be any better in a power conference but we may never find out...or we might. What will be your excuse if BYU has more success than Utah in say, the Big 12?

P.S. The MWC started 15 years ago, and BYU/Utah were only in it for 12 years...not 20. In those 12 years they both had 4 conference championships. Before that (1998) in the WAC BYU had 19 CCs to Utah's 2...TWO! And ute fans make fun of the WAC...hilarious. Enjoy being Wyoming "with better DVD history" in the PAC12.

• Missouri loves BYU Lebanon, MO
    April 14, 2014 6:22 p.m.

Nascar just doesn't seem to fit when it comes to Utah's offense. Maybe Utah could pull something from the fight song like.. "Prom the Avenue" or "step in time"....wait isnt' that a line from Mary Poppins? That does seems to fit better...

• Go Utes! Go Yale! Salt Lake City, UT
    April 14, 2014 4:35 p.m.

Interesting that both Duck and worf had no attempted rebuttal of 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0's phenomenal post? Come on, guys. Go fast, go hard! haha

Go Utes!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 14, 2014 3:45 p.m.

Oh and biasedperspective, according to whittingham utah is trying to snap the ball in under 20 seconds, that is the same benchmark BYU was trying to accomplish so this little comment by you

"Utes played up tempo last year but they weren't so up tempo that they were out of control"

takes on some extra humor. The truth is utah just failed to do it, and is still failing to do it according to whittingham, whereas BYU is getting it accomplished and will be even better at it this year with a year of it under their belt. So who is following who? lol

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 14, 2014 3:44 p.m.

@noperspective

Well not according to pocyute

Last season the team called it Nascar, but we STILL didn't ever see it. It's been 4 years (minus the Chow year) of hearing that the offense will move faster, but without any results during the game."

So it appears that they have been trying to do it and failed and they do have "cute terminology" for it.

"Thanks for stopping by." lol

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 14, 2014 3:43 p.m.

@biasedperspective

"I will take issue with your assertion that they failed to achieve an up-tempo offense last year under DE. The number plays per game certainly increased."

utah had worse offensive statistics than BYU, much worse. Scored less points, had less yards rushing, less yards passing, less first downs, more turnovers, overall they were much worse. Yes I know you're going to whine about their schedule, it doesn't matter, they were worse at everything. Yes they "failed to achieve" whatever it was they were trying to accomplish unless just running more plays was some kind of accomplishment?

BYU can at least claim to have gotten its offense installed and ready for improvement this year but utah brought in a new offensive coordinator for the 7th time in 7 years and is starting all over from scratch so yes whatever it is they did last year they "failed" or else they wouldn't be starting all over gain for the umpteenth time

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    April 14, 2014 2:55 p.m.

I am impressed with Whit and the effeorts that he has made to make the Utes competative in the PAC. I go into the season more hopeful than ever before.

Good luck Utes!

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    April 14, 2014 2:07 p.m.

Duckhunter
    Highland, UT

Save it, Duckhunter. Until your cougs are playing with the elite, the only relevant basis for comparison is head to head. That said, I will simply refer you to the scoreboard for the last 12 years.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 14, 2014 1:07 p.m.

worf

"Utes will be fortunate to win half their games."

And with Utah's schedule BYU would win maybe a quarter of them. Maybe.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    April 14, 2014 12:27 p.m.

Duckhunter
    Highland, UT

Yeah, I saw the detail provided by pocyute and I forgot about "Nascar." However, Pocyute correctly stated that the it was a term the players used. DE certainly wasn't in front of the press referring to it as Nascar. I will take issue with your assertion that they failed to achieve an up-tempo offense last year under DE. The number plays per game certainly increased.

Ute buster
    Salt Lake City, UT

"Like most people, including ute fans, I find the utes offense very offensive.
    Just all little brothers they copy what the big brother does."

Offensive? The Ute offense has kept byu in its place for more than a decade. I'll let you decide what that says about byu. As far as copying "big brother" goes...are you referring to byu or Utah? Let's look, shall we...

1) Utah's uptempo offense (apparently long before the arrival of Bob A. at byu)
    1) Black uniforms (Utah 2008)
    2) Student section (Uhat - MUSS - 2003)
    3) MUSS traditions being copied by byu student section (on-going)
    4) Utah stepping up to an elite conference (byu utterly failed to copy)

So, your reference to big brother is Utah, right?

• Ute buster Salt Lake City, UT
    April 14, 2014 11:16 a.m.

Like most people, including ute fans, I find the utes offense very offensive.
    Just all little brothers they copy what the big brother does.
    Nascar saw a lot of tire burning but little else last year but it was a cute name for a cute team.

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    April 14, 2014 11:12 a.m.

Nascar? Even I can admit that's as bad as what they come up with in Provo.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 14, 2014 10:18 a.m.

As a fan I'm just looking forward to seeing this team on the field in the fall. Go Utes!

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    April 14, 2014 8:55 a.m.

worf,

Especially without a gimme win over WCC byu, it will be tough to win half our games.

I guess we could always just go independent and play a bunch of nobodies.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    April 14, 2014 8:51 a.m.

worf
    Mcallen, TX

"Going faster means nothing if you don't have the muscle to compete. Utes will be fortunate to win half their games."

With the scheduled that Utah has again this year, 7-5 or 6-6 would be fantastic. The cougs will rack up a bunch of this year and fool themselves into thinking they are something special. Isn't independence grand?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    April 14, 2014 8:42 a.m.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 14, 2014 8:12 a.m.

Old

It sound like Christensen is committed to the philosophy and will make sure it happens.

Go Utes!!

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    April 14, 2014 8:09 a.m.

old,

We do ridicule it. Not the concept, but all the talk from byu fans about it.

When will you byu fans learn that you should start talking AFTER putting it up on the field

We heard for months about how go fast go hard was going to work out great and turn byu into a big time team.

And what happened? Flop.

You weren't even in the top 50 in points scored per game.

Notice our coaches aren't saying we'll have a go fast go hard offense.

They haven't said we're on a quest

They just get the guys ready to play - we may start to play at a faster pace, but any talk is coming from the sportswriter.

Not the coaches and fans.

Go worry about your WCC games

Go UTES!

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    April 14, 2014 8:06 a.m.

Old But Not Stupid
    Moorpark, CA

Thanks for stopping by.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    April 14, 2014 6:49 a.m.

CB and the rest of the crimson crew....

I thought you guys ridiculed your rival's (?) "Go Fast, Go Hard." model and tactic. Sounds to me like Wittingham and the offensive coaches finally got the memo.

• BigBear38297 Clinton, UT
    April 14, 2014 5:44 a.m.

My perspective.

I agree Brandon Cox is going to be an awesome player. It drives me nuts that he is behind Shultz on the depth chart. The other day when Whit was asked who did better between Manning and Shultz he said they were both awful but Cox was amazing. His YouTube videos show how athletic he is and what a good player he can be. I wish Shultz would just transfer to Weber state already and make room for these young guys that were so highly recruited. Can't wait till this fall so we can get the season started!

GO UTES!

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    April 13, 2014 8:38 p.m.

Thanks, Dirk. I'd like to know a little more about Cox. He seems to be a tremendous athlete and I have to wonder just how far back he is on the depth chart.

GO UTES!!

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 13, 2014 8:21 p.m.

The real QB battle begins this fall. I'm excited to see what all these guys can do, and how it translates on the field.

Go Utes!!