Sports

Dick Harmon: The Wizard returns: Former BYU head coach Gary Crowton front and center at SUU

Comments

• Farid @ Pocatello Pocatello, ID
    April 14, 2014 4:01 p.m.

I remember his first game at BYU (Tulane) like it was yesterday. 72 points. Eleven wins in a row and then that debacle in Hawaii and *poof* it was all downhill after that.

I loved the man; I don't think I ever wanted a coach to succeed more.

It will be interesting to see what the post-Mendenhall era will look like. My guess is he'll be around for another four years or so and then do as he promised ... retire.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    April 14, 2014 1:52 p.m.

This should be a great season. Especially with Ammon Olsen back in the mix. Can't wait to make the playoffs again.

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    April 14, 2014 1:31 p.m.

dustman

"Gary Crowton is good for one or two seasons, but then he fizzles out."

That's always been Crowton's MO.

He had a great 1st year at BYU until Luke Staley blew out his knee.

He did well in his first season or two at Oregon and LSU, but, as you said, he quickly faded.

It seems that he's good at surprising opposing defensive coaches, until they have time to adjust, then Crowton's offenses bog down.

Crowton's biggest problem at BYU, however, was his lack of discipline in recruiting kids who simply weren't prepared to abide by BYU's strict standards.

• dustman Gallup, NM
    April 14, 2014 8:39 a.m.

Gary Crowton is good for one or two seasons, but then he fizzles out. I think he can do some good things in SUU for a one or two seasons, then it seems like he becomes a liability.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    April 14, 2014 8:22 a.m.

I take a lot of heat for this from others, but I'd rather have G.C. as OC than R.A.

• sisucas San Bernardino, CA
    April 13, 2014 10:23 p.m.

I think Crowton is a very talented and imaginative play caller. Whenever eh comes into a place he takes the talent which is already there and does great things with them. He doesn't, however, see to be able to develop talent once he's there. It seems like the longer he's at a place, the worse it gets. Let the guy dream up and design plays and let somebody else work through the skills and player development.

• JoeCoug OREM, UT
    April 13, 2014 5:51 p.m.

Gary Crowton is a class individual whom I respect much. He's fair, doesn't swear (to my knowledge), and embraces goodness. Incredible football mind, he's more than football. I wish you nothing but success and peace, Coach. And thanks, Mr. Harmon, for a nice article!

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    April 13, 2014 4:22 p.m.

The Maryland experience that Coach Crowton dealt with is a shame. But it is well known in this part of the country that Edsall and Maryland are a terrible program filled with negativity. I admire Crowton for walking away.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    April 13, 2014 4:20 p.m.

have a great season coach!

• Ronald Uharriet SWun City, Ca.
    April 13, 2014 2:39 p.m.

I totally agree and ditto the words of TRUD, Salt Lake, Utah, as posted above.
    Ron

• Ronald Uharriet SWun City, Ca.
    April 13, 2014 2:14 p.m.

It makes one wonder why we, at BYU, can’t develop the talent of 5 star quarterbacks and coaches of Crowton’s ability. It seems like we do our best with 0-3 star players and coaches and haven’t learn how to deal with the 4-5 star players and coaches.

• jshimizu Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 13, 2014 11:48 a.m.

Photos links aren't accessible. At least not on Safari. Great article though...

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    April 13, 2014 11:11 a.m.

Ute fan. Always liked him. Best of luck, coach.

• Trud Salt lake, UT
    April 13, 2014 10:20 a.m.

It is wonderful to see such a positive story about one of the really good guys in football. Coach Gary Crowton gave up many more lucrative offers to join BYU and then passed on additional more lucrative offers to stay at BYU after winning his first 12 games in his first season at BYU. At Oregon he set in motion the Ducks offense and at LSU he was an essential part of the national championship. But more importantly, in his last years at BYU, despite the onslaught of negative comments by the so called BYU fans, he never once gave excuses, took full responsibility, and never uttered a single negative word about the institution, the administration, the fans or the media. Despite what those of us who know and love Coach Crowton thought of his mistreatment, he always took the high road and encouraged us to do the same. If good things really come to good people his future at SUU should be bright. GO T BIRDS

• JMT Springville, UT
    April 13, 2014 6:44 a.m.

I'm happy for him and hope SUU does well. Maybe I'll take the family and go watch a game this year.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    April 12, 2014 8:11 p.m.

I wish he were the offensive coordinator at BYU so we could have an offense.