Sports

Utah football: Saturday's scrimmage is a huge deal to the Utes

Comments

• Go Utes! Go Yale! Salt Lake City, UT
    April 14, 2014 5:14 p.m.

@Naval Vet, 2013 Ute Seniors, Two For, My Perspective, and Rock of the Marne:

Your comments made my day, many thanks!

Go Utes!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 14, 2014 3:15 p.m.

ex patria cougar:

"...I was happy to see how quickly the Ute fans (without any prodding from BYU fans) turned the topic of this comment section into something about BYU. It shows that BYU is still the center of your universe...and the measuring stick by which Utah success is judged..."

Sorry cougie. That game is YOUR "Super Bowl"! It is the COUGARS who orbit around the UTES in this series. Just see for yourself:

"It is huge. This is like the Super Bowl...Coach Mendenhall will have us prepared to play Utah." -- LB, Kyle Van Noy

"In previous years, I think it's been the biggest motivation we've had, playing Utah and trying to beat our in-state rival." -- OL, Ryker Mathews

"We grew up watching the rivalry and that's why a lot of us came to BYU...Honestly, that's lot of the motivation we had...every day we remind ourselves, 'Hey, we've got to beat Utah'." -- DB, Drew Reilly

Case closed.

"... please, Ute fans, if you've really 'moved on,' then ... move on."

...said the typical hypocritical coug fan "orbit"-ing around a Utah article that had nothing to do with the Y.

• ex patria cougar Australia, 00
    April 13, 2014 7:44 p.m.

I rarely comment on these articles, but I was happy to see how quickly the Ute fans (without any prodding from BYU fans) turned the topic of this comment section into something about BYU. It shows that BYU is still the center of your universe, and the measuring stick by which Utah success is judged, even in years when you don't play BYU.

I'm happy to cheer for Utah, and wish them all the PAC-12 success in the world. So please, Ute fans, if you've really "moved on," then ... move on.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    April 12, 2014 9:44 p.m.

Lifelong Ute, very true, too bad the blame lies on Mr/Dr Hill and his incredible foresight and planning for the future. Good move. Utes could've used a pushover game so at least the local recruits will still take them seriously.
    Of course BYU has a JV schedule this year, too bad they won't have a chance to add the Utes to that list of stellar teams they play.

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    April 12, 2014 8:37 p.m.

Why are wcc fans making comments on a Pac 12 Utah article?

Don't you guys have Virginia(who didn't beat a single other division 1 team last year) to be worrying about?

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2014 8:06 p.m.

If anybody is wondering who the little brother in this state is, look no further than plyxply's post.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2014 6:55 p.m.

Rock Of The Marne
    Phoenix, AZ

"What voodoo will they conjure up for 2016 in hopes of a win? Only time will tell. Go Utes."

Lol...D. Harmon is already doing his part fan the perpetual flames of byu dominance. It won't be long now and byu will be a lock for the final 4 playoff.

btw...there is some great coverage on the Utah scrimmage today on the SL Trib.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    April 12, 2014 5:43 p.m.

Ture that Lifelong Ute, it won't be the same not having the auto win Y game on the schedule. I'll miss it actually. Every year they get their hopes up, talk trash (well, even if they lose perpetually they still talk trash), only to have their hopes dashed once again. It's quite funny actually. A purposeful bye week and royal blue retro uniforms were not enough last year. What voodoo will they conjure up for 2016 in hopes of a win? Only time will tell. Go Utes.

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2014 3:59 p.m.

Ply,

Without byu on the schedule I am afraid we may come up one win short.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    April 12, 2014 2:59 p.m.

It's a huge deal, if they can win their scrimmage it will get them closer to the elusive 6 win total they need to get into a bowl game. Spring game = huge game!
    As for me I'm just a pac 12 fan, no need to bring myself down by only cheering for the Utes, I also love riding coattails of USC, Stanford, Oregon and the rest of the relevant football programs. Go PAC 12!!!

• Where is Hadley? Salt Lake, UT
    April 12, 2014 1:41 p.m.

Overall I was pleased with what I saw. I think the team is shaping up nicely. Its clear the offensive has made positive changes.

The corners all look much more engaged.

Go UTES