Opinion

Popular comedian takes on Common Core

Comments

• FT salt lake city, UT
    April 14, 2014 3:58 p.m.

You know this is satire right? Colbert is a liberal who often teases conservatives with his superior knowledge and humor. A few years back he enraged Laura Bush when he made a mockery of the then President at an awards banquet.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    April 14, 2014 7:13 a.m.

Steven Colbert is hilarious!

• Danny Chipman Lehi, UT
    April 13, 2014 8:58 a.m.

I've seen a lot of passive-aggressive note writing by parents on their kids' homework returned to the teachers. Can't say I blame 'em.

• cmsense Kaysville, UT
    April 13, 2014 5:35 a.m.

I'm not an expert on common core but I do believe in teaching reading, writing and arithmetic etc. I also believe student testing is an important tool to judge how students are doing and teachers are doing (not the only metric, but an important metric). 45 states voluntarily signed up for common core. Somehow I just don't believe it can be the evil federal takeover its portrayed and hopefully the ridiculous math problems are not typical.

Standerdized testing is nice to compare apples to apples and we should be able to agree on what "core" knowledge kids should know at certain grade levels. Overall it doesn't sound like a bad idea. Can't we fix some of this stuff. The ACT and the SAT are standardized and national and helps as a buffer to rampant grade inflation. Its useful.

As a parent I want to honestly know were my kids are at compared to peers etc. More importantly I want the testing done in such a way that over time (a three year time frame or 5 year time frame) teachers that consitenly perform poorly aren't just keeping a seat warm. Kids should come first not union protections.

• dave Park City, UT
    April 12, 2014 10:51 a.m.

His show is satire and he is playing a character. Perhaps it is best not to hitch your wagon to satire...

• freedomingood provo, Utah
    April 11, 2014 10:18 p.m.

So if you read the article, the questions are created by each state, not the feds.

The point is to make sure the kids can use math and other subjects as tools. Do you show a kid how to use a screwdriver or just have him help you screw something together? Exactly.

If you answered that you give him a lecture on screwdrivers, you are hopeless. If you ask him all the stuff he could do with a screwdriver you get what common core is. Math is a tool - like a screwdriver.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    April 11, 2014 5:40 p.m.

Colbert is dead on...

• tellitstraight Hurricane, UT
    April 11, 2014 4:53 p.m.

Questions related to the content and the source of these questions is, indeed, on topic and hardly disruptive to a civil discussion of the issue. No worries, though. Folks will get it.