Sports

Brad Rock: Utah State football fans can enjoy the moment

Comments

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    April 15, 2014 11:35 p.m.

Why would Andersen leave Wisc who is paying him an obscene amount of money for UofU who wouldn't come close to his current pay grade? That makes no sense. It makes more sense for Wells to go if and I mean only if he does well at USU. One mediocre does not a coaches career make.

• Colo. Aggie Loveland, CO
    April 15, 2014 7:51 p.m.

I am one Aggie that is really enjoying this moment. There was a time when I didn't think I'd live long enough to see it happen! I love the job that Matt Wells is doing, and I'm just going to enjoy it and not worry about if he might leave. Since he is an alumni here and really seems to enjoy CV, who knows, maybe he'll decide to stay for awhile and continue to build the USU football legacy. As long as his pay and his assistants pay can keep going up, this could happen.

In regards to replacing Whitt at Utah if things don't turn around there, I suspect that the first call will be to Gary Anderson at Wisconsin rather than Matt Wells. I also suspect the GA might just decide to come back to Utah where he is well respected and has a great recruitng base. Time will tell. For now, it is truly a great time to be an AGGIE!!

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    April 14, 2014 1:56 p.m.

@John S. Harvey

There are no "on-point" comments around here. This is the truth.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    April 14, 2014 12:39 p.m.

Thanks, Rock. We Aggie fans are indeed enjoying this moment. It's nice to finally have some stability and a model in place that works for the program.

• John S. Harvey Sandy, UT
    April 14, 2014 11:26 a.m.

Don't feed the Trolls, just respond to the on-point comments.

• Horrible Stumper Hyrum, UT
    April 11, 2014 5:00 p.m.

@redthunder: Much to us Aggie Fans chagrin, you are probably right. Whitt hasn't done anything since Coach A left, who better to turn to than Coach A's #1 protégé, Matt Wells. Money says a lot and unfortunately the "U" has more money than USU. And if it is not the Utes, it will be somebody else. I have a lot of respect for Coach Wells, he did a great job his first year here and is continuing to do so. He has the model down that works at Utah State. No one can blame him when he leave for more money. Hopefully he is prepping someone to take his place. However, that being said I am not sure that Utah University is not a coaches grave yard. I don't know that any coach can recruit the players that Utah needs to be competitive in the PAC 10+2. Coach Whitt certainly can't, can anyone else. Unfortunately the gap between Utah and the upper teams in the PAC 10+2 is widening, not closing. It is what it is.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    April 11, 2014 2:10 p.m.

I disagree with part of Chris B's statement. It was great back when your school, BYU, and TCU ruled the conference. When your team moved up to the PAC12 and BYU went their way it died. We all know how good TCU is going to the BIG12. Now it's just full of original WAC teams. Comparing the WAC 2.0 to the Sun Belt was awesome. I'll bet no one remembers the aggies being in the Sun Belt. They were so excited when USU moved to the WAC.

• redthunder Ogden, UT
    April 11, 2014 11:47 a.m.

I like Wells. He does a good job. Ufortunately a contract extension from a school like Utah State doesn't mean much. If another bigger school wants him they'll pay-off the contract. Aggie fans better hope Whittingham does something worthwhile next season else I think Wells could be getting a call from Salt Lake.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    April 11, 2014 9:28 a.m.

I think USU Football paid for not allowing Arslanian time to implement his program. He was left nothing by John L. Smith and brought in Emmett White who was one of USU's best players ever. Arslanian's inherited quarterback, Riley Jensen, was fifteen pounds overweight and a better punter than a quarterback. He could have twenty yards open to run and could only rush for a yard and a half.

The USU administration had Mick Dennehy lined up to replace Arslanian about half-way into his second year. With a lighter schedule lined up for Arslanian's third year, they tought Dennehy would have a winning year, and they would look brilliant. Instead USU lost against Idaho State and got blasted by Boise State.

This same administration turned down the Sun Belt when they were left out of the WAC and the Big West collapsed, choosing to go independent for a couple of years. That decision, firing Arlsanian before he could implement his program, hiring Dennehy and Brent Guy was what set the program back a decade. Once a new adminstration got in, they cleaned it up and gave Anderson time to turn it around.

• Sinew South Centennial, CO
    April 11, 2014 7:35 a.m.

The biggest mystery to me was the hiring of Arslanian. Yeah, I understand them feeling like they got burned/spurned by John L. and Charlie, and they apparently wanted to have someone around that was likely to stick around, but the cost they paid for that decision was devastating. I said at the time (I played spring ball under his staff) that he set that program back 10 years. Until they get more established in the college gridiron world, I think the burned/spurned model is something they should be ok with. Where they are right now, it doesn't seem too bad to pay the price of losing coaches with the corresponding success that a good coach can bring to Logan. At least when the coaches leave, they don't have to pay out their contracts like they do when they fire.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2014 11:43 p.m.

The Mwc a respected conference?

By the sun belt perhaps?

The Mwc isn't nearly as good as it used to be, an it wasn't that great back then

Last year the Mwc went 1-14 against the PAC 12.

That's nothing to be getting excited about.

Wells has done a great job no doubt.

I hope he continues to have success