Family

Stephen Colbert, a man of faith, to take over 'Late Show'

Comments

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    April 15, 2014 10:28 p.m.

If Rush is against him, I'm all for him. Besides, I do enjoy his shtick.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    April 12, 2014 9:45 p.m.

man of faith? what faith? The few times I have watched this guy he drips with radical socialism.

• road2provo Davis, CA
    April 12, 2014 11:06 a.m.

Is this Cobert's latest joke, calling himself a man of faith? That is funny! What's pathetically not funny is that someone might believe this article if they haven't had the misfortune to seen one of his shows.

What is the intention of this article, really? Is it to encourage viewership of material that is deeply entangled in sacriligeous remarks, to say nothing of the other faith-demoting material it spews into the interwebs?

• nonceleb Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2014 1:44 p.m.

I love both Colbert and Stewart. I get so tired of the angry, paranoid rants of political pundits on television and radio, that their humor in politics is a breath of fresh air. But remember, Colbert is a "straw man" to hold up ultra-conservatives to ridicule. What makes you think he is not playing that role for fundamentalist religion? His comedy commentaries do expose much of the hypocrisy in religion. I have no doubt he is devoted towards a religious life, but definitely is not a zealous Christian. He does genuinely refer, with fondness, to his Catholic mother, who raised 11 children, and her teachings. But be careful when you prop him up as a idealized "man of faith." You just might be taken in by his clever persona too.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2014 11:10 a.m.

@SCfan
    "Through and through. Catholic yes. But his is probably the same Catholic faith that Nancy Pelosi goes by. Namely, the Matthew 15.8 kind."

The Catholic church supports a strong safety net, universal healthcare (aside from abortion and birth control of course), support amnesty for illegal immigrants, support environmental regulation, and consider wealth inequality to be a serious issue (particularly the most recent Pope). They're pretty fiscally liberal to go alongside with socially conservative views. Maybe that's why the Catholic vote tends to be split around 50-50 in this nation.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 11, 2014 9:37 a.m.

Mr. J: I would love to see Lewis Black get a show.

• tigger AMERICAN FORK, UT
    April 11, 2014 9:17 a.m.

I hate to see the "Cober Repor" go by the wayside. Dang.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    April 11, 2014 8:52 a.m.

Colbert is a genius. He's actually pretty middle of the road, and lampoons what needs to be lampooned, right or left.

His genius lies in having sold the public that his 'conservative' character is a ruse, a persona, enabling him to spout conservative double speak that is full of sarcasm, with a modicum of truth. He is a Catholic, playing a liberal playing a conservative. How much of his shtick is sincere, and how much is sarcasm?

I don't care about the motivation. He's hilarious, and that's what the Late Show needs.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    April 11, 2014 8:48 a.m.

Good grief. Schtick is lost on many of you.

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2014 8:38 a.m.

re: TOO

That would either be Lewis Black, Seth MacFarlane, or the head writer for Big Bang Theory.

• Mom of 8 Hyrum, UT
    April 11, 2014 8:27 a.m.

Colbert himself has admitted that his conservative persona is just that: a persona. While he may at heart be religious, his public personality doesn't always mesh with that. Yes, he's funny. Just on too late for me.

• Candide Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2014 8:25 a.m.

Stephen Colbert is a ballsy genius. I just hope he is able to keep his edge on the Late Show.

• Joey D WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    April 11, 2014 7:57 a.m.

Thank you CBS, another to go to bed early. Still waiting for the next Carson.

• Jamescmeyer Midwest City, USA, OK
    April 11, 2014 7:18 a.m.

I don't know much about Stephen Colbert. I saw one episode of the Colbert Report once. it was alright, but one episode is hard to go off by.

Given his keen insight on the activities and motives of political figures thus far, if Rush were disapproving of someone, I'd at least be cautious of them. People talk a lot of trash about him, but I can say it's all trumped up, untrue, or taken out of context. Rather than pushing for socialism and blaming people who don't agree with him for his problems, he talks about what has previously given America strength and hope, what will do so now, and what is actually in the way of that.

More, he actually makes an effort to help people understand the founding of the nation, the framing of the constitution, and the context and circumstances behind such events, rather than sit around fuming that our founding fathers were primarily white men, then complaining about Republicans' racism and "war on women".

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 11, 2014 6:56 a.m.

A man of faith? What an odd topic for an article on a late night talk show host.....

• LovelyDeseret Gilbert, AZ
    April 10, 2014 11:17 p.m.

I don't see Colbert as religious. He is more of a panderer. He wants people to like him, like many he will tell them whatever he thinks they want to hear.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2014 9:23 p.m.

He'll stink it up just like Letterman.......he'll never command like Carson or even Leno? Should have given it to someone at least funny like Conan!

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    April 10, 2014 8:48 p.m.

I love it! Stephen will open a lot of eyes and make us (non tea party types) laugh!

It's even greater because Rush hates it. Anything Rush hates, is good for America!

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    April 10, 2014 8:22 p.m.

Never watched Letterman and I live about 30 minutes from his high school and neighborhood. Now that SC is taking over, I find it hard to hold my silent protest for this news. How do you boycott something you turned your back on years ago???

I find him revolting and if you view a person by their body of work, he is no Catholic or religious man. He might be during his Sunday school class...

• SCfan clearfield, UT
    April 10, 2014 3:39 p.m.

van
    I'd say John Stewart does a better job of pointing out hypocrisy on the right and left.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 10, 2014 3:33 p.m.

Bill O'Reilly must be livid!

• van Saratoga Springs, UT
    April 10, 2014 2:55 p.m.

Stephen Colbert is funny. He will do great job. I know Rush Limbaugh doesn't approve of Stephen Colberts new job. He delcares it a war on the heartland of America Rush says. I think it is a war on the right wing party! Stephen colbert points out hypocrisy on the right and left better than any comedian out there.

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    April 10, 2014 2:25 p.m.

Happy Liberal,

How dare you say such things. Everyone knows that Jim Gaffigan is the funniest guy on the planet.

• Happy Liberal Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2014 1:28 p.m.

I love it! I have met Stephen Colbert and he is the funniest guy on the planet. I only hope that he can continue with his fake "conservative" persona at CBS. Shake it up, Stephen!

• SCfan clearfield, UT
    April 10, 2014 12:45 p.m.

He's a liberal all right. Through and through. Catholic yes. But his is probably the same Catholic faith that Nancy Pelosi goes by. Namely, the Matthew 15.8 kind. No way CBS would hire a conservative Catholic who was against abortion, ssm, ect. If it makes any of you feel better you are welcome to substitute Harry Reids name for Nancy Pelosi. And change Catholic to Mormon.

There, that ought to get things started........