Sports

University of Utah student government: Changes are coming to Utah fight song

Comments

• Stock 2 Malone Tooele, UT
    April 23, 2014 3:50 p.m.

It's about time! I hope their next step is to change the name of the Huntsman Center to the Hunts Person Center. Go Utes!

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    April 12, 2014 12:08 p.m.

"@WSUfan,

"Sorry to disappoint your "desires" but the name UTES is not going to be changed. It has already been approved for use by the Ute Nation AND the NCAA. If the NCAA has approved, the the Pac12 will not have it changed."

Awwww. And I really miss the "Runnin' Redskins" under Jack Gardner.

• FACTchequer Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2014 9:34 p.m.

Mister J

"Do they still display the lyrics to R & S on the big scoreboard @ LES?"

Absolutely!

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2014 7:58 p.m.

to Cougar Nation #1

I've never run across a member of Cougar nation having a problem w/ anything related to Disney.

to PAC man

Wondering I am. Do they still display the lyrics to R & S on the big scoreboard @ LES?

• Pendergast Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2014 7:51 p.m.

re: talkinsports & Wally West

WW had it right about a certain primary song. Hold on. Its spring. I guess the apricot trees outside LES are full of.. well you know... popcorn

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 11, 2014 4:14 p.m.

Duckhunter,

"Utah Man" is a lot better than "Rise and Shout". BTW, why do you always put the word fan in quotes when you are talking about Utah fans? I've assumed it is another one of your ways of trying to be disrespectful toward Utah fans, but I thought I'd give you a shot at confirming that yourself for all of us.

• Barbara Wyly Guilford, IN
    April 11, 2014 12:42 p.m.

Don't know how to fix the co-eds phrase. I didn't even realize t was there. But when I was a law student at the U of U, I simply sang "I am a Utah FAN. It works just fine.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 11, 2014 12:25 p.m.

PCman:

My bad. I thought your point was sarcasm, not uber-PC correctness.

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    April 11, 2014 9:45 a.m.

JohnInSLC

You're missing the point - the BYU Fight Song isn't so laughably hysterical that BYU students and alums have been clamoring since the '80's to change it.

This isn't even the first time in the last 10 years that Utah students tried to change their fight song - excepts from the 2006 Chrony:

Students, faculty, alumni and media have labeled the fight song "Utah Man" as sexist, old fashioned, difficult, offensive and dated.

The song has been a sensitive issue - particularly with women - for some time, said John Ashton, executive director of alumni relations, because of lyrics such as "Utah man, sir", "Our coeds are the fairest", "No other gang of college men" and "a Utah man am I."

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 11, 2014 7:50 a.m.

PACman:

Evidently their sense of humor has limits--no rising and shouting for them!

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    April 10, 2014 11:36 p.m.

JohnInSLC

In addition to "Utah Man", the world-famous Mormon Tabernacle Choir also recorded the "Whiffenpoof Song", proving that they have a sense of humor.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 10, 2014 6:06 p.m.

Well, if we're comparing fight songs of Utah and BYU, let's go to the tie-breaker:

Which fight song has the world-famous Mormon Tabernacle Choir recorded?

(hint:, they didn't have a problem with the lyrics)

• Mt Rushmore Arlington, VA
    April 10, 2014 8:34 a.m.

HolladayUte

You're seriously comparing sacred scripture to the lyrics of a school fight song???

Sorry, but your argument lost all credibility as soon as you tried comparing the two.

Frankly, most opposing fans couldn't care less whether you change your silly, antiquated fight song, or not.

If U enjoy being part of a jolly gang that lives across the green, go for it.

• HolladayUte Holladay, UT
    April 9, 2014 8:02 p.m.

This is ridiculous! Are you going to change the wording of the Old Testament because it's also gender bias and the wording is "old fashion". Please student body officers, unless you have been a member of the Ute committee for at least 50 years and you actually call Utah your home, don't mess with our traditions and go fix something that is actually broken.

• Cougar Nation #1 Provo, UT
    April 9, 2014 7:43 p.m.

The main problem with the song isn't the lyrics, it's the tune. The tune reminds us of the Mickey Mouse theme song.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    April 9, 2014 7:07 p.m.

BYU guy here. I have always enjoyed the song ! It has a character from a different time that is kind of charming for it's simpler times, period collegiality. Hate to see it change.

• ArgoFY Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 9, 2014 4:24 p.m.

@MyPerspective:

I would say it's more than just byu fans in the State Legislature who know the Utah song by heart. That's a common friendly bet among many on both sides of the rivalry to sing the fight song of the winning side after the annual football game. Luckily for me, I don't know any of the words to byu's song outside of, 'Rise and Pout!'

This has to explain why byu fans have flocked to the comment section of a Utah article; they're just as, if not more concerned than Utah fans about the changing fight song. That’s because they've had to sing it annually for the past 4 years, and will for years to come starting again in 2016.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 9, 2014 4:18 p.m.

@duckycantkeepapromise

Your obsession with all things Utah is obvious.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 9, 2014 2:46 p.m.

@johntheliarinslc

I'm not "bagging" on it, I hope they keep it for multiple reasons. One it is a ridiculous and embarrassing song, two is that it obviously offends the dominant pc culture at the university of utah and I enjoy seeing what a pc joke that school has become. And there are other reasons but they all just come down to the fact that it all makes me laugh and laughing at utah "fans" is one of my favorite pastimes.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 9, 2014 12:55 p.m.

Hey maybe when you utah "fans" get finished resolving this important issue you can all get back to solving that whole cold fusion thing.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 9, 2014 12:51 p.m.

It's funny to see all the Cougar 'fans' bagging on "Utah Man" for being behind the times.

Wasn't it just last year that a Utah high school rejected the "Cougar" mascot because of that term's present slang usage?

Maybe y 'fans' will soon be shaking their blue and white pompons to urge on their new mascot "Cosmo the Coot." Duckhunter would like it.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 9, 2014 12:26 p.m.

LOL!

• Z South Jordan, UT
    April 9, 2014 12:05 p.m.

Go ahead, change it. No one sings any part of the current one anyway except for the 'Go Utes!' bit at the end, so you all can't be all that attached to it anyway. Just find some other meaningless lyrics that fit the same tune, everyone will still clap along, and no one will ever notice the difference.

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    April 9, 2014 11:48 a.m.

@Pendergast,

You'd have to ask Cactus Jack.

• l.cee Ridgefield, WA
    April 9, 2014 11:27 a.m.

We all know that if the song gets changed, the fans of the old song will still sing it the old way.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    April 9, 2014 10:44 a.m.

You may want to change the song because it's silly, certainly not because of the PC police.

• Shamal Happy Valley, UT
    April 9, 2014 10:33 a.m.

Line everyone up who is pro change. Each has to sing the entire song successfully before they can vote. Should only take a few minutes to count them. All student government who fail should be canned.
    Perhaps the time would be better spent on a new song. The native american student association should write it.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2014 10:13 a.m.

I like the song, and hope it remains. I think it's a little hypersensitive if somebody choses to take offense to the song.

• Hawkeye79 Iowa City, IA
    April 9, 2014 10:09 a.m.

Because you can't spell PAC-12 without "PC"

• FACTchequer Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2014 9:37 a.m.

U-tah

Unlike wine and cheese, fight songs don't get better with age.

It was a silly song when it was written, and it's still a silly, embarrassing song to sing.

• U-tah WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    April 9, 2014 9:28 a.m.

Get a life. This fight song has been there for years. There are many other things that would add value to our society if you would put your brains together for something worth while. Unbelievable!

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    April 9, 2014 8:49 a.m.

Pendergast

"Because Rise & Shout... isn't silly?"

Compared to

"Our gang it is the jolliest that you have ever seen?"

You've got to be kidding.

• Koula Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2014 8:47 a.m.

Please remember tradition and respect it. Leave the lyrics alone...you're not serious, right? Discriminatory? My female friends and I have been singing this fight song for years...we feel quite included. I AM A UTAH MAN!! GO UTES!!

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    April 9, 2014 8:46 a.m.

Utah has been talking about changing the lyrics since the '80's, yet nothing ever comes of it.

This time, hopefully, they're serious about it.

Why not have a contest for students and alums to write some new lyrics that would more accurately reflect the personality of the school?

Then form a committee of students and alums to select the best of the best of the lyrics submitted, and create a fight song that all Utah fans would be proud to sing.

Some "traditions" are just not worth keeping.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    April 9, 2014 8:43 a.m.

It's about time. The University of Utah has been given a free pass for it's mascot, colors and fight song for way too long. Welcome to the 21st century utes.

• Kelley Spanish Fork, UT
    April 9, 2014 8:37 a.m.

Lyrics to Old Solomon Levi... the anti-Semetic song Utah Man is written to:
    Lyrics
    Oh, my name is Solomon Levi
    I am a velly good man
    I'll sell you a suit of klo-zes,
    So sheep as ever I can.

My wife's name is Rachel,
    She's nothing but a sham,
    And every time she gets a chance
    She slugs me if she can.

So help me jimminey moses
    To sell you a suit of klo-zes;
    I live way up on Market Street
    Number One hundred Twenty-nine.

And it's kal-uh-ma, kal-uh-ma cinda,
    I will meet you at the kavinda,
    Kal-uh-ma cinda cinda cinda,
    A-hosta, ka-zista, ka-zay!

. . .

If you really want to be PC, Utes, change the tune.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    April 9, 2014 8:29 a.m.

to Buford Buckley

Because singing a primary song makes perfect for a football game?

• Pendergast Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2014 8:25 a.m.

to jdub1942

Mankind? What would Mick Foley say?

• Pendergast Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2014 8:24 a.m.

to Hawk

Because Rise & Shout yada yada yada isn't silly?

• Utah Alum Orem, UT
    April 9, 2014 8:11 a.m.

The best part of the Utah fight song is most Utah fans don’t even know most of the lyrics, which saves them the embarrassment of actually having to sing anything except "a Utah man am I".

Keep the stolen melody and write some lyrics that any fan would be proud to sing.

Seriously, which would you rather sing if you were an unbiased observer:

"Rise and shout, the Cougars are out, they're on their way to fame and glory..."

or

"I am a Utah man and I live across the green. Our gang, it is the jolliest that you have ever seen..."

Jolly green giants? Jolly Shreks? Seriouly, change the lyrics.

• BU52 Provo, ut
    April 9, 2014 6:00 a.m.

I think its very appropriate, especially the gang mentality expressed in the song.

• swoop alumnus SLC, UT
    April 9, 2014 5:00 a.m.

My name says it all. Eliminate all things gender specific, wo not woman, kind not mankind, per not person, uh not human...sounds like PC run amuck.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    April 9, 2014 1:19 a.m.

@Adirondack Cougar
    "Are they Utes, Swoops, or Red Rocks? The helmet still has the Ute symbol but there is a bird walking the sidelines?"

Swoops? That's like asking if BYU is the Cosmos.

Anywho, I'd fuse the bird and Red Rocks and being the Red Rocs even though pulling a Middle Eastern mythological bird into this is not terribly logical, I just like the pun.

• BlameItOnTheOfficials Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 8, 2014 8:45 p.m.

Oh enough already! Just go ahead and change it from "A Utah man.." to "A Utah fan.." nothing much changes and it will encompass everyone.

I think it's time to rethink the mascot too. What does a hawk have to do with the Utes? It's a real stretch.

• vcsheffield Iowa City, IA
    April 8, 2014 8:18 p.m.

I read with interest this article and the comments. To add a little historical perspective, my father was a 3 year starter on the U of U Basketball team (1940-1943) and student body president his senior year. On one occasion I was speaking with my father and the topic of the Utah Fight Song came up. He said that he had always disliked the song because the words were "silly". He said that when he was student body president, he and the other student body officers made an effort to change the fight song, but were not successful. I always knew that my father was ahead of his time. He would be pleased to know that some 70 years later, people are coming to their senses. I only wish he was here to see it.

• MountainUte Sandy, UT
    April 8, 2014 8:13 p.m.

With all due respect for the thin-skinned, PC social activists, I suggest the new Ute Fight song be, "Rise and Pout".

• Just Truth Saratoga Springs, UT
    April 8, 2014 7:04 p.m.

Don't change it! It's too fun making fun of it. You look ridiculous singing it, but how else should you look? Fits perfect!

• JoCo Ute Grants Pass, OR
    April 8, 2014 5:48 p.m.

Warm up your tea pots. . . here comes a tempest.

• WSUfan Farmington, UT
    April 8, 2014 5:23 p.m.

Need to wait till the PAC makes the Utes change their name first. Between the PC sensitive PAC and the NCAA, it's going to happen. Just ask the North Dakota "Nameless". Then they can rework their fight song to go with their complete make-over.

• Seldom Seen Smith Orcutt, CA
    April 8, 2014 5:15 p.m.

Our country has no cultural norms, America is disintegrating.

• Tuffy Parker Salem, UT
    April 8, 2014 4:04 p.m.

As much as I hate hearing people sing Utah Man, I have to admit that the song is iconic and it would be a travesty to change it because some student wannabe PC policeman thinks it's not inclusive enough.

What's next, gender neutral toilet facilities at RES because someone might be offended having to declare their gender by choosing between the men's or women's room?

• Lane Myer Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2014 3:54 p.m.

I've always sang "A Utah Fan am I"

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    April 8, 2014 3:52 p.m.

Change the Fight Song....to something that doesn't suck and/or go along with the tune of Solomon Levi, which is pretty lame.

Go Utes!

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    April 8, 2014 3:50 p.m.

I am a Utah (offensive to Ute Tribe) Man (Offensive to women), sir (offensive to women), and I live (offensive to the dead) across the green (offense to Ralph Nadar). Our gang (a slight to the crips and bloods), it is the jolliest (offensive to Santa) that you have ever seen. Our coeds (offense to to bad BYU jokes) are the fairest (clearly racist) and each one's a shining star (the solar system is slighted). Our yell (too aggressive), you hear it ringing through the mountains near and far (a gross exaggeration that offends any measure of distance eg. metric system.)

On the bright side, the writer of Soloman Levi wants his song back and the Sigma Chi fraternity member that wrote the lyrics to the original song will be happy to be able to sign his song with a stein of beer and a big cigar.

What a ridiculous argument all around. Can't the ASUU find a better cause? Tuition? Parking? Skateboards on campus?

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2014 3:11 p.m.

This is a problem "I am a Utah person, sir?" No, the fight song must remain intact. Another song must be found to run in parallel which gives the nod to women.

Of course I've always wondered what a mansir is.

• Go Utes Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2014 2:59 p.m.

Wow. Should have seen this coming in today's world. Glad the student body officers are takling the important issues of the day. Gone-awry-PC strikes again. It's amazing any of us are allowed to talk any more.

To those saying that "Utah Man" is a dumb song. Of course it is. All school fight songs are dumb. The point isn't to have some beautiful masterpiece. The point is to carry on a tradition. It connects you to students past, present, and future. I love singing the song, dumb though it is, and have a blast at games and in the car with my kids singing. (Come to think of it, I sang a four-part mens arrangement of it while in choir at the U and it actually sounded pretty cool.)

Please leave the song alone. Stop the madness. Adults are capable of handling a song that is not comprehensively "inclusive." It will be ok. Everyone knows it is just a dumb song that we sing for tradition's sake anyway. It is not a declaration of who is welcome at the school.

Please, please world, bring some sanity back into society.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    April 8, 2014 2:57 p.m.

Good to hear it is being changed. This is long overdue I hope there is a contest to select the new words. Lest hope the music changes too. Use the music of YMCA ... it would probably work out great

• Adirondack Cougar Loon Lake, NY
    April 8, 2014 2:36 p.m.

Maybe they should finish the mascot issue before they dive in on the fight song. Are they Utes, Swoops, or Red Rocks? The helmet still has the Ute symbol but there is a bird walking the sidelines?

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2014 2:33 p.m.

dww722
    North Salt Lake, UT

"Muss" is disorder and confusion. Hence, the now nationally known Mighty Utah Student Section (MUSS) bringing disorder and confusion to Utah opponents.

• dww722 North Salt Lake, UT
    April 8, 2014 2:12 p.m.

The lyrics and the tune both sound like a drunken frat boy wrote the thing. By the What the heck is a "muss"?

• Hawk Littleton, CO
    April 8, 2014 2:02 p.m.

C'mon, Utes, just embrace it. "Sure, it's a ridiculous fight song, but it's OUR ridiculous fight song!"

Ki!Yi!, you warm, jolly gangsters.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    April 8, 2014 2:00 p.m.

Absurd. But U of U tends to get swayed by PC all the time. Swoop??? Where's the Chief? Whoops, the fearful killed him.

The theme song is taken from a 110 and older song "Poor Solomon Levi" but works. It's a good rousing cheer song. Leave it alone.

Once again the problem with have students as class officers... they think they have to do something. So they whine "it's not inclusive..." Oh good grief.

Go anyone but Utes but on this one, go Utah Man!!!

• Buford Buckley Provo, UT
    April 8, 2014 1:58 p.m.

Dumb song anyway. If you want to sing about fighting, hum the theme from "Rocky."

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    April 8, 2014 1:33 p.m.

ASUU president Sam Ortiz said, “The premise is, the song isn’t inclusive — how can we make it inclusive?”

Please make sure the song is "inclusive" of every single student and former student (me!) of the U! Heaven forbid any single person or group ever has to deal with any hint of bad feelings over a "fight song"!

Glad the U student body has leaders who can bring focus to this important issue!

• Andy Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 8, 2014 1:31 p.m.

Too bad. I thought they would make changes so I could actually sing along. Changing the only part of the song that I even know makes no sense and only further alienates alum. Bad idea.

• TheProudDuck Newport Beach, CA
    April 8, 2014 1:30 p.m.

"Who am I, Sir or Miz or Any Other of Facebook's 51 Gender Categories, a Utah person (with no disrespect intended to other life forms, 'cause that would be "speciesist") am I. A Utah person, Sir/Miz/Etc., and will be 'til I expire. Up twinkles."

(Can't say "ki-yi" -- that's Cultural Appropriation.)

• Ironmomo Ogden, UT
    April 8, 2014 1:24 p.m.

I think the verse about proming the avenue is a little dated.....or is it?

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2014 1:23 p.m.

Utah_State_Fan
    Logan, Utah

"Most Ute fans don't know the fight song anyways....."

Ute fans know the fight song and so do byu fans in the State Legislature. They have to sing it every time the Utes win the football game. At 4 straight years and counting, I think it's fair to say they have the song memorized.

• Ironmomo Ogden, UT
    April 8, 2014 1:15 p.m.

I'm sure there are many eager BYU fans who'll be happy to assist in re-writing the lyrics.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    April 8, 2014 1:14 p.m.

Ugh

• nhatch82 Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 8, 2014 1:12 p.m.

"Who am I ma'am a Utah lady am I"

sounds like a better version anyway

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    April 8, 2014 1:10 p.m.

Ordain Women strikes again!

But seriously, the song is 110 years old, no need to change it. If it offends you, just remember when it was written and feel free it "include" "Woman" when it says "Man"in your own mind. Just remember words such as Mankind, meaning Humans.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    April 8, 2014 1:06 p.m.

What a joke. PC gone too far. Utah_State_Fan, you've obviously never been to a game in RES.

• Utah_State_Fan Logan, Utah
    April 8, 2014 12:59 p.m.

Most Ute fans don't know the fight song anyways.....

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    April 8, 2014 12:56 p.m.

So how does one go about fixing this song so it doesn't offend anybody? You could change "Utah Man" to "Utah Carbon-Based Life Form" but that would be hard to rhyme.

• Hawk Littleton, CO
    April 8, 2014 12:56 p.m.

HA! Pleeease. Drop the "non-inclusive" charade. The lyrics are finally being changed because the current lyrics have been flat-out laughable and emarrassing for decades.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2014 12:47 p.m.

PC gone awry again.

I'll still be singing the one and only true version of the song

GO Utes!