Faith

Facebook event challenges Latter-day Saints to read Book of Mormon in 85 days

Comments

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    April 10, 2014 8:42 a.m.

Seems to me that for many people, confirmation of the truth of the BoM involves nothing more than an acceptance that one believes its true - an acceptance many of us fought and still fight; an acknowledgment of one’s own intuitive knowledge that “what I've just read it true”; a realization that “Spirit just spoke to spirit”. A liberating moment to be sure, but without a ‘hallelujah’ experience. No coincidences’ involved, such as missionaries knocking on the door just as I was pondering on its truth, or Dad calling after 30 years to say “I’m sorry” just as I read the last verse of Moroni. More like a sweet liberation from a cancerous Doubt. Those of us who accepted that truth while wallowing in the gutter will have more to talk about years later, but the fortunate few who never made it that low do not have a weaker, or absent, testimony, even if their testimony seems bland or trumpet-free.

• Hey It's Me Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2014 8:31 a.m.

@ ultragrandpa - a member of my ward, back east, testified to that very thing. Someone put a Book of Mormon on a library shelf, and he found it. Didn't know anything about it, but took it and read it, then joined the Church. He was very grateful someone put it there and that he was willing to investigate what the book was.

• Pops NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    April 10, 2014 5:56 a.m.

The Book of Mormon has had an extraordinarily powerful and transformative influence in my life. As a general rule, I feel spiritual enlightenment and inspiration each time I sit down and read and ponder it. I suspect Moontan may be close to the bull's eye regarding ultragrampa. I resorted to the Book of Mormon to escape a dark place in my life. Those who have never been anyplace dark probably can't appreciate the light as much as those who have. I'm not suggesting that he, nor anyone else, take a trip to the dark side so they can appreciate being rescued, because you may not be able to recover from such an action.

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    April 9, 2014 8:06 p.m.

@ultragrampa ... That reads to me like you've had the confirmation all along. We spend all our life drinking cola, we aren't going to be all that delighted when someone hands us a cola. A man raised in the desert who spends his years looking for sand is bound to be disappointed. Seems like you've had a blessing all along, not needing to be thunderstruck by an emotional-laden testimony (not that those are bad things). Just a thought, sir.

• Michigander Westland, MI
    April 9, 2014 5:31 p.m.

1.96 Standard Deviations:

Thank you for your very thoughtful questions. We only accept D&C 87 in the total D&C volume as a true revelation of JS. I'll try to provide brief answers to your other questions.

We view Sidney Rigdon as being the rightful successor in the crisis after Jun.27, 1844. We also hold the view that SR had the priesthood authority up until 1847 when he went far astray. William Bickerton had that same authority from 1845 under Rigdon's organization but he did not go astray. We believe he was thus the rightful successor to Joseph Smith in the Presidency. Sidney Rigdon was also rejected by our Oct. 3, 1863 Church Conference because Sidney insisted to us that he be considered the spokesman in 2 Ne. 3:17-18. Sidney was completely rebuffed.

We do not accept D&C 76. We believe it was a false experience of both JS and SR. We believe the 3 heavens are the earth's atmosphere (which consists of 5 layers), outer space, and heaven (where God dwells).

I hope this helps answer your questions. Your welcome.

• 1.96 Standard Deviations OREM, UT
    April 9, 2014 11:12 a.m.

Michigander:

How does your denomination view Sidney Rigdon, or what importance does he have in your church's history?

Also, I believe your denomination does not accept any sections of the Doctrine & Covenants as scripture, but I am curious on what your denomination's view is on the relation between Sidney Rigdon and what is recorded in D&C 76?

D&C 76 is where both Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon were visited by the resurrected Jesus Christ. It is also when they both learned more about the degrees of glory in the afterlife and many other things.

What does your denomination say about this experience Sidney Rigdon had? Any idea why D&C 76 isn't accepted as scripture if your denomination believes Sidney Rigdon had this divine experience?

If I made any wrong assumptions about your church, please correct me. Thanks.

• 1.96 Standard Deviations OREM, UT
    April 9, 2014 10:52 a.m.

The Scientist:

As someone mentioned to you some time ago in these discussion boards, your answer has probably come in the form of a dear angel (your wife). Maybe you can ask her how she gained, and recognized, an answer to the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon again? If you "dearly and deeply want to know the truth of this book and Church" maybe it will be worthwhile to ask her again?

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    April 9, 2014 10:14 a.m.

I just wonder why my testimony against the truthfulness ("truthiness"?) of the Book of Mormon was rejected by the DN editorialists while ultragrandpa's was not?

I have read, studied, fasted and prayed about, the BOM repeatedly over thirty years of marriage to the best Mormon there is, and I have never received any confirmation that it is "true". I have successfully completed BOM religion classes at BYU, and attended Education Week presentations by some of the best scholars the Church has.

Indeed, all the "light of Christ", intelligence, and wit and wisdom I have tells me it is a 19th century fabrication.

I do not share this "testimony" lightly. My LDS wife has hoped and prayed for my conversion from the day we met. I dearly and deeply want to know the truth of this book and Church. Those who unrighteously judge me (and others like me) as being too proud, insincere, or otherwise unworthy to receive a witness are hypocrites and guilty of the same ad hominem attacks used by the tailors in the parable of the Emperor's New Clothes. Dismissing and trivializing the experiences that are contrary to your beliefs is offensive and unrighteous.

• Michigander Westland, MI
    April 9, 2014 9:30 a.m.

The entire Book of Mormon (current gospel doctrines and future prophesied events) is correctly interpreted and understood completely by only one Restored Gospel church, The Church of Jesus Christ (WHQ: Monongahela, Pennsylvania), and it is the only true succession of the restored gospel with the priesthood authority on the earth today.

• timcharper Saratoga Springs, UT
    April 9, 2014 12:18 a.m.

I no longer believe after studying origins of the Book of Mormon.

• Sasha Pachev Provo, UT
    April 8, 2014 4:27 p.m.

I was raised an atheist in the Soviet Union. When I read the Book of Mormon for the first time I had a special feeling, and I have experienced it frequently since over the last 21 years. A few years ago Elder Holland mentioned the conversion of his great-grandfather whose reaction to the Book of Mormon was: "No wicked man could write such a book as this; and no good man would write it, unless it were true". I was stunned - this was a perfect description of my response when I read it as a new convert back in Moscow. How can a 19th century American raised in a Christian religion and a 20th century Russian raised under the communist ideology see it exactly the same way?

• ultragrampa Farmington, UT
    April 8, 2014 4:01 p.m.

I wonder if someone who just picked up the Book of Mormon on a whim, found it on a library shelf maybe and had never heard of it before, and then read it through - I wonder if such a person could receive a "witness of it's truthfulness" if they didn't know they could maybe expect such a thing?

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    April 8, 2014 3:50 p.m.

I could read any book in 65 days and if I read it enough times I could convince myself that it is true... even if it isn't.

• Jamescmeyer Midwest City, USA, OK
    April 8, 2014 3:22 p.m.

If you seek a confirmation of the truth of the Book of Mormon, it must be done, as the book says, with humility; a broken heart and a contrite spirit. It doesn't say you'll know immediately. If you go through motions because your're expected to, there is no gain. Though I don't necessarily accuse any commentator here of this, if you by some degree don't -want- the Book of Mormon to be an inspired work, you will have no witness any more than the Lord advocated casting pearls to swine.

If you consider exercising even a tiny portion of faith; if you so much as consider incorporating principles of the Book of Mormon in your life as you read it; if you read it purely objectively, you will be able to know, immediately or later, at once or gradually, through some means you may or may not expect, that it is true. I guarantee specifically that if you "turn atheist" after reading it, you've positioned yourself against it on your own.

• ADN Weiser, ID
    April 8, 2014 12:34 p.m.

I know that the prophetic promises regarding Book of Mormon study are true! The speed read has its benefits. It can be compared to water skiing verses scuba diving. When you scuba dive the Book of Mormon you explore and feel and study. But to water ski it can give you the lay of the land, it helps you see the storyline and it gives you precious insights to patterns themes and principles that are connected.

I know that the promises and truth come to me when my heart is soft enough and I allow the book and Holy Ghost to teach me. I also have found that I learn and feel more when I actually apply the principles I learn to my life sincerely. I know that the Book of Mormon will become like an iron rod piercing darkness and lead a person to Christ if they actually move (apply the word) along the path of discipleship.

• Scoop Battle Ground, WA
    April 8, 2014 12:18 p.m.

I read the Book of Mormon all the way through for the first time during the first 3 months of my mission back in the 80's. I received a strong confirmation, often, while I was reading it, that it was true, but was surprised that I didn't receive confirmation when I was through reading the book. Until later, when the Spirit testified and reminded me that my confirmation came during my daily reading. Personally, I can't deny how strong that confirmation was to me.

• AL The Younger Gilbert, AZ
    April 8, 2014 9:22 a.m.

any challenge to read the BOM or motivate you to continue reading is a good one.

• quicksand sandy, UT
    April 8, 2014 8:22 a.m.

Amirite that meme is from Lord of the Rings a movie about light prevailing over darkness haha not Game of Thrones even though that actor is in both series. Why did they add the word "just" to the meme? It should be "one does not simply" common!!!

• slcdenizen t-ville, UT
    April 8, 2014 6:35 a.m.

I read the Book of Mormon thorougly on my mission and became an atheist. Guess you can't win them all.

• Fred T PHOENIX, AZ
    April 8, 2014 1:39 a.m.

There are 521 pages in the BofM.
    To read it in one year requires reading 1.5 pages per day. double that and 3 pages a day has you reading it in 6 months. You'll have to read 12.5 pages per day to make it in 85 days.
    The best challenge was issued by the Weber State Institute in the 90's. Read it in 2 days.
    This takes about 9 hours a day to do.
    This assumes a normal reading speed of a little over 2 minutes a page.
    The per day time requirements to meat thse goals are respectivley,
    3 mins (365 days), 6 mins (182 days), 12.5 mins (85 days) and 9-hours (2 days).

Once heard Jack Christianson say that if we'd only read 10 pages a day from the scriptures, we could read the BofM twice in a year and the Old/New Testamant, the Pearl of Great Price and D&C once. 3 for the BofM and 7 for the others.

Just ten pages a day...... That's less than 1/2 hour a day.

• Bro Simon Says RIVERTON, UT
    April 7, 2014 11:36 p.m.

@amirite, quick correction on your comment. The picture for this meme is not from Game of Thrones. It is from The Lord of the Rings, and is a pretty popular picture for memes. You gotta know your memes! Know what I meme? Hopefully you will still take the challenge even though it won't be full of the stuff you had assumed :o)

• ThinksIThink SEATTLE, WA
    April 7, 2014 11:33 p.m.

In the 1980's I read the Book of Mormon over a three months. My roommate was a returned missionary and suggested I read the book and pray about it. At his request, I did set out to read it cover to cover. I've read dozens of books that length in a few weeks, but I really had a tough time getting through it because it's was just very dry. I really had a hard time staying awake. I prayed to know whether the book was true, but much to my roommates disappointment, I received no confirmation that the book was true.

I've spoken with some mormons who have never actually read the Book of Mormon cover to cover. I think LDS members should all read the Book of Mormon cover to cover before committing themselves to the doctrine.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    April 7, 2014 11:14 p.m.

ultragrampa,

My experience was not like yours but my witness of the Book of Mormon did not come immediately. That came for me from reading the Doctrine and Covenants. But I did eventually find that witness and that spirit in the Book of Mormon.

• ultragrampa Farmington, UT
    April 7, 2014 10:01 p.m.

I'm 6+ decades old, been a church member all my life. Served a mission, graduated BYU, married in the temple, raised 6 kids, served in about every calling a man could be asked to serve in on a Branch and Ward level and had many Stake callings as well. Everyone who knows me thinks of me as the quintessential church member.

I have read the Book of Mormon more times than most of you. And I have never once - not ever - felt any sort of spiritual prompting regarding the book or my study of it. Weird, right? Like what's up with that???

The seminary teacher states of those who accept his challenge; "They will have an increased measure of the Spirit of the Lord, they will have greater power to resist temptation, and they will know for themselves that it is true scripture from our loving Heavenly Father."

Oh yeah? Well I have done just that dozens of times and have yet to "know for (myself) that it is true scripture from our loving Heavenly Father." It's frustrating, that's what it is.

• DrGroovey Salt Lake City, UT
    April 7, 2014 9:36 p.m.

One time I read the Book of Mormon in 18 days. Other times I have spent over a year reading through it. Reading at different paces brings out different aspects of the book. A slow read lets you ponder all of the doctrines in depth. A fast read lets you see the big overall picture and a gives you a much better grasp for the completeness of the testament. Either way build testimony and increases your spiritual knowledge. I recommend reading it both ways so you get the full experience.

• windsor City, Ut
    April 7, 2014 9:33 p.m.

As pointed out in a meme at the site, though the challenge to read it that quickly may seem somewhat daunting, imagine translating it in that amount of time. Wow.

• amirite Salt Lake City, UT
    April 7, 2014 7:10 p.m.

I love that for the meme, they used Game of Thrones -- a movie/book full of violence, nudity, and sex (straight, gay, lesbian, and incest sex.. *gasp*). I think I might join the challenge just for that reason :)

• Annen Corvallis, OR
    April 7, 2014 3:55 p.m.

As a seminary teacher I have done this before. It's like reading a "regular" story. Loved the experience and I am so excited to do this again.:)

• ManInTheMiddle SANDY, UT
    April 7, 2014 3:15 p.m.

As one who has finished a "speed read" program of the Book of Mormon I highly recommend it. I found that the "speed read" was one of many effective ways to learn of the Savior's teachings. Good luck to all who take this challenge.

• srw Riverton, UT
    April 7, 2014 3:13 p.m.

If you haven't read the Book of Mormon, you really should. But take your time.

I recently completed a challenge to read the Book of Mormon in six months (a lot longer than 85 days) and even that was too fast for me. I feel that my study time is better spent if I take my time.

• NavajoLamanite Reno, NV
    April 7, 2014 2:49 p.m.

i read the Book of Mormon daily and rely on the strength I receive from its messages. I do not like the "speed read" programs used. I know the idea is to get people to read the Book of Mormon and experience its power for themselves, but I think the method is incorrect. Burning through the scriptures do not accomplish anything other than to just "get through them". Which is not the point. I think, a few thoughtful minutes a day accomplishes much more.