Opinion

Why some liberals are uneasy about Brendan Eich's resignation from Mozilla

Comments

• Demiurge San Diego, CA
    April 8, 2014 7:33 p.m.

Come on. What power does the gay rights crowd have that you don't? You can't name a single one.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    April 8, 2014 8:57 a.m.

@idablu -- It's interesting that you can't see that a gay person might feel like a vote to deny them the right to get married IS a vote to oppress. Imagine that YOU were denied the right to marry for what felt like an arbitrary reason (perhaps your religion or your hair color or whatever). Wouldn't you think that was oppressive? Try to put yourself in someone else's shoes and think how they might feel. In my opinion, "standing up for my religion" does not mean forcing others to behave in a way that complies with my religion. It means ME living my religion the best I possibly can. Divisiveness, anger, and an insistence on political purity are not the way to persuade, although it has become popular. I don't like it from the far right (tea party, Rush Limbaugh, etc.) and I don't like it from the far left (the activists who demanded that Eich be fired for this one act.)

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    April 8, 2014 8:08 a.m.

Here's the deal Kaladin, I didn't say nor even imply conservatives were hypocritical for standing up for their religious beliefs. I did say two things. Conservatives are hypocritical in their support for free speech and they are hypocritical about a companies right to do as it wishes.

Also no one expects rainbows (whatever that means) in a political discussion but truth and reality would be helpful. Not some of what follows...

You are just like the "radicals" who forced his resignation

It's funny to me that the left wing thinks Joseph McCarthy was scary- I'm terrified by the power the gay rights crowd apparently has- scary times indeed.

How long before the suppression of all religiously based views are made legal?

WOW! This is scary. Nobody is safe -- if you are a conservative

• happy2bhere clearfield, UT
    April 8, 2014 7:17 a.m.

If any liberal is disturbed by this case it is because they understand that the same principle used (political incorrect speech or position) could be used to attack a liberal CEO in the future. Good thinking on their part. Thankfully some liberals in todays America still understand that on of the primary reasons for the 1st Amendment was to protect unpopular speech.

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    April 7, 2014 10:02 p.m.

@ ClarkHippo

I was disgusted when, in response to similar activism, World Vision reversed its decision to hire gay people who are legally married. That was "a big deal" to me. Like Mr. Eich, those activists acted in support of discriminating against a certain group of people and one way they expressed their demand was by withdrawing their financial aid to needy children. Morally questionable in my opinion, but well within their rights. And within World Vision's right to listen to them instead of to me. No freedoms infringed. My rights live on to fight another day.

This is my fourth, thus last post on this thread. See you in another comments section.

• RFLASH Salt Lake City, UT
    April 7, 2014 4:23 p.m.

If he did give so much money for Proposition 8, does it not occur to people that employees have the freedom of speech to say that it is wrong? Then you have the nerve to mention equality in this article, that you want equality and freedom of speech! For whom? I certainly would give someone a chance. I do all of the time because I deal with this everyday and most people I love are Mormon. We have to sit back and take a lot! So, when someone gets scolded for having treated gay people like garbage, I think that it may be ok to open up my mouth and say something! If they can't take it, then they never should have dished it out! Seriously, imagine what it feels like to be told that there is something wrong with you just because you love someone! Our entire lives are effected by what these people do, and we should keep our mouths shut? Nobody cares when we lose our jobs! Nobody blinked an eye when they did that to me! Mormons are upset because they also did the same! They gave money to discriminate!

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    April 7, 2014 3:30 p.m.

it is interesting how embolden the GLBT has become by the result of sympathetic judicial activists.

They now have resorted to bullying (e.g., forcing the ousting of Mr. Eich at Mozilla and Peter Vidmar at the U.S. Olympic committee) and misrepresentation of what Prop 8 really was--a referendum on preserving the definition of Marriage, not a vote to oppress gays and lesbians as they would like to have you believe.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    April 7, 2014 12:23 p.m.

@LDS Liberal

You said - "And the Government is not persecuting the CEO of the company.

When the Government does something, call me.

Until then -- this is a business matter, not Constitutional."

With all due respect, I seriously doubt you and the other "liberals" on this page would be so quick to dismiss this firing if Eich had been let go for giving $1000 in opposing Prop 8.

And speaking of "business matters" what about the Hobby Lobby case? Hobby Lobby is not the government, yet people are taking their business to court, demanding they do what the government tells them.

@Karen R.

Okay, I get your point about Al Campanis. One might also include Jimmy the Greek from CBS in that same boat. But I would ask you the same question I asked LDS Liberal. Would you be one to say, "Oh, no big deal," if Eich had been let go for giving money against Prop 8?

• The Wraith Kaysville, UT
    April 7, 2014 10:48 a.m.

Excellent Blue Rampage. Google is even more of a supporter of LGBT rights than Mozilla.

• Blue Rampage Salt Lake City, UT
    April 7, 2014 9:57 a.m.

In support of tolerance, free speech and civil rights, I have removed Firefox from my computers. I am now getting used to Chrome as my new browser.

• The Wraith Kaysville, UT
    April 7, 2014 9:40 a.m.

This is so much simpler than most people realize. Yes Mr. Eich has a right to donate to any cause he wants. However, Mozilla and it's executives have the right to run their corporation they way they feel is best as well. You have the right to disagree with either decision as well. I just know that in my job there are several things I could do, and have a right as an American to do, that would still get my fired. Why? Because the people I work for also have a rights and they want their company run a certain way.

To me this seems very simple. What am I missing? Why do people get so mad at companies like Mozilla and A&E when they discipline an employee for behavior that the company doesn't like? These companies aren't squashing free speech. Mr. Eich can donate all he wants to any movement. He was free to do so before and he can do it again. No one has taken away his free speech. The company has rights as well and they can exercise those right.

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    April 7, 2014 9:13 a.m.

@ ClarkHippo

The reality is that people in leadership positions - in both the public and the private sectors - sometimes have limitations on their free speech rights that those of us in the general public do not. Mr. Eich is not the first executive to lose his job because of a personal belief. The first one I recall in the private sector happened way back in 1987. Al Campanis was fired by the Dodgers after opining that African Americans weren't ready to be managers. Mr. Eich's active support of a campaign dedicated to keeping some people second class citizens is no different than what Campanis did. Yes, they each have the right to hold and act on their respective beliefs. And the companies whom they very publicly represent have a right to decide if this is good or not for their bottom line.

• southmtnman Provo, UT
    April 7, 2014 8:59 a.m.

Mozilla has certain corporate values, just as Chik-Fil-A has its own corporate values. If the Board of Directors decides that the CEO's public image is contrary to those corporate values, and it is hurting the company, they have every right to ask that person to resign.

Why the hypocrisy? Why is it OK for Chik-Fil-A to stand for and enforce their "corporate values", but it is not OK for Mozilla?

• Red San Antonia, TX
    April 7, 2014 8:52 a.m.

I just took Mozilla off of my computer! I hope they go out of business.

bye bye Mozilla.

• Kaladin Greeley, CO
    April 7, 2014 8:51 a.m.

@pragmatistferlife - So in your mind it is hypocritical of religious people to stand up for their beliefs. We are supposed to just roll over and take it. My religion does not teach that if I am not smiling, carrying a daisy, singing a love song and expelling rainbows at all times I am in the wrong. Rather, my religion teaches me to stand up for what is right. As you can see, I have not taken a position on this issue in the comments, but when people use this "religious folk are hypocrites when they do anything but keep quiet in the corner" argument is used it is time to speak up.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    April 7, 2014 7:50 a.m.

@anotherview

I think the role of those who call themselves tolerant and liberal should set a higher example for all of peacekeeping, looking for common ground, looking for good everywhere, extending kindness, charity and respect for all--especially those different from themselves rather than drawing battle lines.

Lead the way.

Unfortunately those on here justifying the firing cannot seem to comprehend that Hate in the name of tolerance is not leadership, it is just hate

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    April 7, 2014 7:45 a.m.

There's sure a lot of anger and paranoia here for a people who supposedly live a belief that brings them peace, and comfort. Especially when you stop to realize that at the end of the day the whole SSM thing will have absolutely no perceptible effect on there lives at all.

There's another article in this same paper by a conservative not only touting free speech (the right of the gay community to protest and push for what they think are their rights), but giving full support to the principle that some should have more speech than others not based on the citizenship and humanity but on their pocketbook. In fact the entire conservative community has supported this principle and lauded it's existence.

But wait, when a principle we disagree with gains prominence not because of personal advantage but sheer acceptance that's not right. Someone is pushing an agenda, someone is forcing their ideas on society etc. etc.

My, my it must be difficult to sing of peace and love on Sunday and then display such anger on Mon.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    April 7, 2014 7:22 a.m.

ClarkHippo
    Tooele, UT

One more thing, where in the U.S. Constitution does it say that someone gives up their freedom of expression when they become CEO of a company? If the accountant or secretary can support a certain view, why not the CEO?

2:42 a.m. April 7, 2014

=========

It doesn't.
    And the Government is not persecuting the CEO of the company.

When the Government does somthing, call me.

Until then -- this is a business matter, not Cosntitutional.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    April 7, 2014 5:44 a.m.

Just a friendly reality check reminder ---

This was a business dealing with it's own employee.
    NOT the mean old nasty Government.

Obama is not stealing your Freedoms.
    Get over it people.

• Dr. Thom Long Beach, CA
    April 7, 2014 5:00 a.m.

Basing an action on public out cry or popularity always leads to a slippery slope of social injustice. Recount historically how a popular ideas such as segregation, book burning or the Final Solution brought disaster to a culture or society, then ask what is better, upholding personal convictions or giving in to public opinion for the sake of appearing "cool". What the CEO did was exercise his Constitutional right to donate to the legal party or issue of his choice. What we are seeing is a backlash or a double standard against someone who's opinion, values or don't coincide with ours. If this CEO had donated to support Prop 8, would we see the same reaction of the GLBT community, no because he would be seen as "one of us."

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    April 7, 2014 2:42 a.m.

@Karen R.

No one should lose their job or be kicked out of their apartment or home simply for being gay or lesbian. I do not support that in anyway whatsoever, so I respectfully ask that you not put words in my mouth.

• gittalopctbi Glendale, AZ
    April 7, 2014 12:04 a.m.

@Stormwalker, you have your facts wrong. SSM was NOT legal in CA prior to Prop 8. Civil unions were. Prop 8 was NOT taking away any "rights" at all. It was preserving the traditional definition of marriage. It wasn't even taking away civil unions.

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    April 6, 2014 7:27 p.m.

@ Tekakaromatagi

Our beliefs about LGBT's weren't right until we recognized they were wrong. The beliefs have always been odious. Now that we recognize this, why would we want to tolerate them? So we can say we're respecting diversity? That's absurd. Religious beliefs must be expected to meet the same standards as our secular beliefs, particularly when they impact people who don't hold these religious beliefs themselves.

@ ClarkHippo

"You said - 'I am glad that there are consequences for acting on beliefs that cause harm for no good reason.' Okay then, my question to you is, where do we draw the line?"

Your concerns will be justified when we all become CEO's and how we are perceived in our respective markets can impact our company's bottom line. Had Mr. Eich been in Accounting or the secretarial pool, he'd still have a job.

BTW, this can't be said for gay people in many counties and states across the land, including yours and mine. They don't have to believe or do anything. Merely being gay is enough to get them fired. Now there's a line to be concerned about.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 6, 2014 1:32 p.m.

@Maverick
    Re: "it's funny how repubs love the free market when it's for stuff they like then demand government intervention for stuff they don't like"...

Didn't ask for GOVERNMENT intervention. Just asking for the Left to be more tolerant of people they disagree with.

===

Comparing it to Hobby Lobby controversy... apples-oranges. HL fired no one... HL just didn't want to be forced to break their religious covenants (by order of Government).

If your insurance doesn't pay for contraceptives... just buy them yourself. It's not a big deal. They aren't expensive, and if you think it's worth it... seems like YOU should be willing to pay for them.

===

LDS Liberal
    HL didn't tell it's employees what to do. They can sleep with whoever they want. No threat of firing

They just don't want to aid in ending lives prematurely. If employees want to do it... they can. I don't see why HL not being forced to do it... is such a big issue to you.

===

RE Mozilla CEO.... you pretend he's a big anti-gay activist... he just donated a little money to a political campaign!

• Steve T American Fork, UT
    April 6, 2014 12:29 p.m.

This is where democracy is headed. Now that unlimited political contributions are allowed, we must choose products and services run by companies with executives that are aligned with our political views. No longer are social, political, economic topics separated in America. If you support traditional marriage, stop using Firefox. If you support Sabbath Day observance, eat Chickfila. If you support the rights of the unborn, .... etc. This is the world we live in.

• Pendergast Salt Lake City, UT
    April 6, 2014 9:41 a.m.

to Cats

Because there is no my way or the highway mentality in just religion just secular causes you don't agree with? 3 words. Pot. Kettle. Black.

re: LDS Liberal

Bingo.

• Nate Pleasant Grove, UT
    April 6, 2014 8:09 a.m.

Mozilla has every right to sack a CEO who fails to embody their corporate message. However, they have given lie to the claim that their mission has anything to do with tolerance for diversity. They are bowing to the forces of intolerance.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    April 6, 2014 4:30 a.m.

@Karen R.

You said - "I am glad that there are consequences for acting on beliefs that cause harm for no good reason."

Okay then, my question to you is, where do we draw the line?

Would you be willing to see someone forced from their job if, for example, they have in anyway opposed abortion? What if someone opposes tighter environmental laws? Should that person be forced from their job because they support a position which you and others my find harmful?

The left loves to lecture people saying things like, "Free speech doesn't mean you're free of consequences for speaking up." But in my view, what those words really really mean is, "Speech is only free if you agree with what I believe. Otherwise, we will strip you of your livelihood and anything else we can get our hands on."

@Pagan

I actually agree with you about gays in the military. Don't Ask Don't Tell was a disaster. However, in using that as an example, what you're truly saying is, the left is just as intolerant of other's opinions and lifestyles as the right.

• play by the rules SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    April 6, 2014 1:01 a.m.

I am seeing some very rational thought from those who are more on the left on the message board. I think that if we look at one another as good people with differing opinions we can be friends. We can fight for different causes and debate vigorously, but must get along in the end. Rounding up gays or Christians for their point of view is not the answer on either end of the spectrum nor is stifling their freedom of expression. Thank you to those whom are on the opposite side of the core issue for realizing that we can live together and embrace our differences.

• play by the rules SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    April 6, 2014 12:56 a.m.

If Mozilla thought they were seeing boycotts before Eich's firing, they should wait to see what they will see after the firing. I yanked firefox off of all of my PCs and Macs. 1,000,000 instances of that will have an impact. 10,000,000 will cause them to sweat. Plan on convincing others to make them sweat.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    April 5, 2014 8:58 p.m.

@Karen R:
    "When did diversity come to mean tolerance of odious beliefs?" It has always meant that.
    Besides, it is only your opinion that it is odious? Did you vote for Obama in 2008. He said then that he believed that marriage should be between a man and woman.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    April 5, 2014 7:15 p.m.

I'm on the more liberal side and I'm uncomfortable with this forced resignation. I think that there are people on the left that insist on ideological purity just as there are on the right (tea party), and I find both "my way or the highway" attitudes juvenile and ridiculous. But I have to say, I'm getting tired of people whining about religious persecution when what's really going on is that people are finally standing up for their rights. In other words, I don't think Mr. Eich should have been forced out of his job for a donation in favor of Prop 8, but I don't think that every time a gay person gets married it is trampling on a religious person's rights. (Their rights to what exactly? To be free from hearing about gay marriage? Not sure how on earth these whiners think that someone else getting married is causing them such great suffering. They are as equally over the top as the gay rights activists they are complaining about in this case.)

• DistantThunder Vincentown, NJ
    April 5, 2014 7:13 p.m.

What's next? Setting up a gulag to exile the people who support classic marriage? Getting someone fired is economic terrorism. These witch-hunts and purges are a frightening reminder of a barbaric streak in humanity which has a thirst for revenge. Interesting that the Church of Scientology supported Prop 8. Think those actors involved in scientology are still working? Of course they are. Where's the consistency?

• Mark from Montana Davis County, UT
    April 5, 2014 5:49 p.m.

Sullivan, who is himself gay, wrote, “If this is the gay rights movement today — hounding our opponents with a fanaticism more like the religious right than anyone else — then count me out.”

Yet that is exactly the atmosphere that currently prevails in the US today.

• Stormwalker Cleveland , OH
    April 5, 2014 4:03 p.m.

@On The Other Hand: "Show me a CEO ousted for quietly making a political donation in favor of gay marriage, and I'll join you in being indignant."

How about the 14,000 members of the military who were hounded and prosecuted and fired (discharged) for being Gay?

How about a dozen teachers fired in the last six months for being Gay or getting married in a legal ceremony to their partner, or even for planning their wedding? Google teachers fired for being gay, read the stories. Note, especially the protests from students and parent groups.

SSM was legal in California. Eich contributed to remove civil rights from citizens and, by supporting that, he supported the attitudes that lead to the firing and harassment of Gay workers.

Being Gay does not conflicts with the Scouting mission. Scouting is about honesty, integrity, and woodscraft. Gay men can fit that description, and their leadership would be very helpful for Gay Scouts. Sadly, those men are excluded based on prejudice, not on their fitness, knowledge, or willingness to serve.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2014 3:52 p.m.

@Max
    Obama obviously supported same-sex marriage all along, he just closeted himself for a while. Do you really believe those statements about evolving? The evolution he was waiting for had nothing to do with himself, it had to do with waiting for the public to catch up so that he could openly take that position without doing electoral harm to himself. It's a pretty cowardly tactic on his part.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    April 5, 2014 3:09 p.m.

Hobby Lobby CEO wants to tell employees what to do - GOOD.
    Mozilla tell CEO [an employee] what to do - BAD.

Oh I see, it's a double standard....hypocritical.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    April 5, 2014 2:26 p.m.

An eye for and eye and a tooth for a tooth only makes the whole world blind and toothless.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    April 5, 2014 1:57 p.m.

WOW! This is scary. Nobody is safe -- if you are a conservative. But shouldn't Barack Obama also be fired? He was outspoken against Gay Marriage at that time (before it became politically expedient to favor it).

I am writing this comment using Mozilla as my browser. It will be the last time I use Mozilla as my browser. I have no longer have any respect for that company. They are the new definition of narrow minded.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2014 1:26 p.m.

Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Also when you want to cite the unfairness of loosing ones job due to their opinions?

14,000 American men and women were discharged from the US military due solely to their orientation under 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' with ZERO response from the Right-leaning circles.

In Salt Lakes 2009 Discrimination report people reported discrimination in Housing and Employment 3 times per month.

Per month.

Notice, when there is factual backlash about anti-gay comments, NOW people are 'uneasy'...?

Doth protest too much, I think.

• hardware Erda, Ut
    April 5, 2014 12:49 p.m.

Gee, funny you say Californians think it's wrong. Marriage between a man and a woman passed twice. It's the Federal Government who is ignoring people's voting rights making it unconstitutional. I don't think the Founding Fathers thought we would become perverse enough of a generation to demand same sex marriage especially since most came from England seeking religious freedom. God will prevail in the end regardless of these posts trying to make us homophobics for sticking up for marriage and family and liberty and against corruption of the United States by immoral leaders.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    April 5, 2014 12:13 p.m.

I support the free market, which the Dnews supposedly supported just a few days ago with Hobby lobby and the Arizona bill (that was vetoed by their governor).

If this CEO is so valuable then he will have no problem finding another job. Folks who disagree with Firefox can decide not to buy their products.

Corporations are people. So if a corporation doesn't like it's CEO they can get rid of it for any reason.

it's funny how repubs love the free market when it's for stuff they like then demand government intervention for stuff they don't like.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    April 5, 2014 11:40 a.m.

The fallacy in the gay activist movement is the assumption that support of Prop 8 equates to gay bashing and depriving a segment of civil liberties. That just isn't true. Support of Prop 8 was about preserving the definition of marriage as between a man and a woman. Nothing more nothing less. I have gay relatives whom I love and accept, and would not deny them any of the rights that a "marriage" would provide, but it doesn't change my opinion on what defines a marriage. 2 totally different issues.

• firstamendment Lehi, UT
    April 5, 2014 11:21 a.m.

Mainstreaming and promoting homosexuality through legal enforcement of the lifestyle choice, taxes, etc. hurts all of us. But still, I don't think it's right to fire people who agree with it.

• 4 horse race Salt Lake City, UT
    April 5, 2014 11:11 a.m.

How long before the suppression of all religiously based views are made legal? Opps, that already happened when Judge Walker struck down Prop 8 in Calf. reasoning that the people who voted for it did so based upon "religious bias". Not sure how he could read 7 million minds but he claims he did. I'm not optimistic about either freedom of speech in America or religious freedom. This is a far more important issue than marriage equality. Advocates on both sides of the issue had better wake up and see what is happening here.

• Badgerbadger Murray, UT
    April 5, 2014 10:32 a.m.

There are still many sweet women named Gay. Please consider treating their name more kindly than as a sexual orientation reference.

• bigv56 Cottonwood, CA
    April 5, 2014 10:18 a.m.

Once again, we see the liberal definition of free speech. We are free to agree with liberal ideas and everything else gets protested or whined about. These are people uneasy with their philosophy.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    April 5, 2014 9:12 a.m.

Where's all the conservative talk of a business has a right to do anything it wants? The DN has been rife with it for weeks regarding Christian businesses refusing to serve gays, and hobby lobby being able to refuse to comply with the law.

I ridicule, but the question is serious.

anotherview said; "A business is going to look at its customer base and target audience and decide whether the person or issue is going to be a liability or not."

That's simply all that happened here. Companies do this all the time. Most major companies have ethics standards that include not engaging in activity that embarrasses the company or puts it in a bad light.

The question becomes does the behavior offend the premise of the corporation (a bank that openly solicits the business of the gay community), or does it simply offend the personal standards of owners and or personnel (hobby lobby) and violates the law as well.

The issue goes beyond ideologies and so should the discussion.

Personally I don't think they should have fired him. I don't see he violated their premise.

• nycut New York, NY
    April 5, 2014 9:11 a.m.

This is not a liberal vs. conservative issue, though the DesNews seems intent on framing it this way.

A CEO publicly espouses a widely unpopular view that alienates and offends the company's employees, partners and a wide swath of it's customers. The board of directors determines that this is detrimental to the company, makes him incapable of effectively leading the company forward, and the CEO has to step down.

This is both free speech and the market at work people.

• 1 Voice orem, UT
    April 5, 2014 8:53 a.m.

It is interesting how people continue to excuse bad behavior justifying it because of an unrelated issue.
    EG. the argument for supporting a bad behavior based on the logic that this behavior is no worse than that behavior.
    Bad behavior is bad behavior. The also seem to confuse issues when making comparisons between them.

Dismissing or barring someone from a private of religious organization because the individual does not share the values and beliefs of that church or private organization is very different from persecuting an individual because of his or her beliefs.

Mozilla fired a man because he supported a cause (unrelated to the company) that some individuals in our society have label as wrong minded. They took his job to appease a powerful minor groups opinion who are bend on punishing people with different opinions from their own. This type of behavior is wrong and should be stopped.

This is very different from institutions that sanctions or dismiss an individual who does not share the values and purposes of the organization especially when they publicly attempt to undermine the organization or institution.

• On the other hand Riverdale, MD
    April 5, 2014 8:43 a.m.

@Stormwalker, Boy Scouts of America is a youth organization founded around a particular ideological orientation. Whether or not you agree with their world view, you must accept that from the BSA's perspective, it makes sense not to allow leaders whose lifestyles are significantly at odds with the ideology around which their organization is built. The BSA situation is not analogous to the Mozilla one, where a software company CEO was pressured to resign due to his views (made public only through a political donation six years ago) on a topic that had nothing to do with their business.

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    April 5, 2014 7:56 a.m.

Liberals only support the "diverse" opinions that they agree with.

• jzer Haworth, OK
    April 5, 2014 7:40 a.m.

Those who think anyone who opposes gay marriage is an intolerant bigot will continue to use this type of completely intolerant tactic to destroy the opposition to their agenda. The problem is some of them are ruthless and don't care what anyone thinks about how they get things done as long as it gets done. Conservatives on the other hand, in responding to their tactics seem to act like gentlemen who play nice, like they don't want to hurt anyone. Hence they are getting the crap beat out of them. The truth is, at this point, gay activist need to experience some of their own medicine. They need to be persecuted out of their jobs or communities for using hateful, intolerant measures against people who just acted within their 1st amendment rights. They have to be forcibly brought to understand, not through any form of violence by the way, that every time they use such tactics on others they will experience them themselves, rapidly. I do believe it is possible that they could then decide to change tactics. As is, they face no significant consequences for actions that are totally intolerant and un-american.

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    April 5, 2014 7:25 a.m.

@ Hutterite

"It is distressing that this CEO has been turfed. We are all entitled to opinions even if they're offensive to others. Freedom has to work for all of us."

Yes, Eich is entitled to his opinion and he is entitled to financially support a campaign that sought to deprive people of their equal rights. Does this make him a good candidate for a company woose mission statement and reputation emphasize equality and inclusion? When did diversity come to mean tolerance of odious beliefs?

Because this is the thing: This belief isn't merely offensive. It leads to actual, daily harm. Gay kids get bullied and kicked out of their homes because of beliefs like Mr. Eich's. Gay people get insulted, humiliated, and assaulted because of beliefs like Mr. Eich's. And what does he have to justify the belief? Nothing that is holding up in a court of law.

I am glad that there are consequences for acting on beliefs that cause harm for no good reason. The fact that the belief likely stems from religious doctrine should not protect it. It should only make it look more shameful.

• liberal larry salt lake City, utah
    April 5, 2014 7:22 a.m.

Don't I remember, a few years ago, BYU professors getting dismissed for exercising their rights to free speech?

Did the DNews editorialize for freedom of speech in that instance?

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    April 5, 2014 7:21 a.m.

This is pure bullying. Nothing less. That's what the LBGT movement has become.

And..."Here" is right. Christ, his teachings and his commandments, will prevail. The only question is which side will each of us choose. As for me and my house, we will choose the Lord.

• Samuel Adams Layton, UT
    April 5, 2014 6:35 a.m.

Sad, very sad, to see another victim of the new McCarthyism that says over and over again in the media and on this forum; "You can have all the freedom of thought, religion, and speech you want …. as long as you agree with us or keep it to yourself….and if you don't ….we will take you down." Frightening state of affairs.

• Lucas APO, AE
    April 5, 2014 6:30 a.m.

I'm left wing. I did not support Church's position on prop. 8 in California (I stayed neutral). However, as the article suggests, I feel uncomfortable about Eich's resignation. I don't get it.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    April 5, 2014 6:28 a.m.

I'm liberal. Uneasy does not describe my feelings. Appalled is probably closer.

This is McCarthyism all over.

"Citing an “organizational culture” that “reflects diversity and inclusiveness,” Baker publicly lamented that the company's actions were upseting to some."

Mozilla fired someone because he voted for Proposition 8. A lot of people did. Are they going to be fired too? Are they going to feel that Mozilla welcomes their contributions? They should have cited their diversity policy when people complained about Eich.

• Badgerbadger Murray, UT
    April 5, 2014 6:07 a.m.

The war on Communism
    The war on poverty
    The war on drugs
    The war on terrorism

Now the newest war, the war on thought.

Go George Orwell!

• Badgerbadger Murray, UT
    April 5, 2014 6:05 a.m.

The BSA never kicked any homosexual scout leaders.

• intervention slc, UT
    April 5, 2014 12:37 a.m.

I can not figure out why "some liberals" would fall for this twisted logic. This man did more then just say "I don't support gay marriage" through his donations he actively worked to oppress others and take away their civil liberties. No matter how you twist that it does not change the fact that he was an active oppressor not a passive victim.

• IDSpud Eagle, ID
    April 5, 2014 12:26 a.m.

Stormwalker - You are comparing apples to oranges. Even if the same premises were at play, what are you advocating? An eye for an eye? It's actually pretty scary that a rather small minority group is able to solicit this kind of retribution against someone for expressing their convictions, and backing up those convictions with funds, for traditional marriage. So by your logic, those who donated funds against Prop 8 are also fair game for similar retribution?

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    April 4, 2014 11:38 p.m.

The problem is Mozilla was caught in a rough position where suddenly they were going to lose a chunk of support regardless of which route they went. Sorta like the Susan G. Koman foundation controversy over Planned Parenthood a year or two ago.

• Stormwalker Cleveland , OH
    April 4, 2014 10:24 p.m.

I trust that those who are upset about Mozilla's actions in ousting Mr. Eich are equally upset at the Biy Scouts of America for kicking Gay and Lesbian scout leaders to the curb. Anything less would seem to be hypocrisy.

• 1 Voice orem, UT
    April 4, 2014 9:50 p.m.

Unfortunately many people in the GLBT community, and those who promote it like Mozilla, don't see the hypocrisy of persecuting people with different opinions because they dare to disagree.

As for me I simply stopped using the fire fox browser to express my displeasure with their behavior. If you feel as I do I encourage you to do the same.

• red state pride Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 4, 2014 7:41 p.m.

I think the best argument I've heard regarding this is : what if Mr Eich hadn't donated any money but had simply voted in favor of prop 8 and had the same thing happen to him? How would you all feel about that? What if our allegedly private votes were laid bare for the world to see and then we suffered consequences for them? How about that? It's funny to me that the left wing thinks Joseph McCarthy was scary- I'm terrified by the power the gay rights crowd apparently has- scary times indeed

• Here Sandy, UT
    April 4, 2014 7:30 p.m.

The more I think about it the more I realize the doctrine of Christ will prevail. It may not "win" all the battles, but it will win the war. It already has. We just decide who's side we'll be on.

He went about doing good. He espoused peace and charity. He was quick to uplift and slow to condemn. Although He does not condone sin, he loves all. He is not pleased to see us fight, one with another. He wishes all of us to repent and come unto Him, no matter what our brand of sin is.

• Here Sandy, UT
    April 4, 2014 7:08 p.m.

Though I disagree with the GLBT lifestyle, I’m not talking about (nor encouraging) hate, anger, and gay-bashing. We are all children of our Heavenly Father. He may not like what we do, but He loves us with a love that cannot be described. We cannot hate his other children and still be disciples of Christ. But it’s hard to remain civil in today’s noxious environment, I’ll give you that.

I think we need to have the courage to do our duty in standing up for virtue. I don't think we should roll over and play dead in this day and age when there is so much at stake.

Yet, I think mutual respect is what is expected of true Christians. If that respect is not given by both sides, then the side that is not the offending one must suffer injustice with patience and charity if he wants to be a follower of Jesus. The golden rule was never more needed than it is now.

• Here Sandy, UT
    April 4, 2014 6:50 p.m.

I see it coming closer and closer that our beliefs regarding gay rights are becoming a litmus test on which our own civil rights depend. If we don't fall in line with pro-gay beliefs, we become fair game for retribution and oppression by some.

But, there is hope. As we work together with respect and charity, we can largely solve most of the problems that seem so intractable.

To be fair, I know there are some in the GLBT community who are reasonable. I've met some of them. But those who are fanatical about people agreeing with them (or else) give me great concern for the future of our - and everyone else's - civil rights. It seems that every virtuous thing is on the chopping block.

• Here Sandy, UT
    April 4, 2014 6:46 p.m.

What I hear from SOME in the GLBT community these days is their clamoring for "equality." The premises of their arguments are not convincing to me. I'm still not convinced that basing civil rights on an unhealthy behavior is appropriate. Yes, we disagree. Of that there is no doubt.

Yet I believe the First Amendment allows for such disagreements. That amendment allows us to disagree with even the most fundamental assumptions of the constitution, morality, philosophy, religion, society, government, and the law, does it not? It certainly allows for me to disagree with you and vice versa. But, we can disagree without being disagreeable.

Of course equality is just as important as free speech, but the balance seems to be swinging so far in favor of "equality" that free speech is becoming forgotten and of seemingly little importance. It is NOT of little importance. A society without freedom of speech and ideas is dangerous to all.

More to follow.

• anotherview SLO, CA
    April 4, 2014 6:27 p.m.

Well, some see same-sex marriage as a civil rights issue, and they would be in good company.
    Rep John Lewis, who walked side-by-side with MLK has been speaking against opposition to same-sex marriage since the implementation of DOMA in the 90's.

Christian Evangelicals called for a boycott of WorldVision, a humanitarian group because they were willing to hire same-sex married employees. In response to the outcry and boycott, WorldVision changed their policy.

A business is going to look at its customer base and target audience and decide whether the person or issue is going to be a liability or not. Apparently Mozilla (and WorldVision) thought the costs outweighed the benefits of retaining Eich in the CEO position.

So where do we go from here? One man's "cause" for justice is viewed by another man as nonsense.

Frankly,
    I think the role of those who call themselves religious and Christian should set a higher example for all of peacekeeping, looking for common ground, looking for good everywhere, extending kindness, charity and respect for all--especially those different from themselves rather than drawing battle lines.

Lead the way.

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    April 4, 2014 5:31 p.m.

idablu:

Mozilla employees were taking leaves of absence to protest Eich's being named CEO.

OK Cupid, a prominent web site, were advising customers to switch browsers, pretty much like the bus boycotts in the South in the 60s.

Mozilla stood to suffer on the bottom line, which is the ultimate business metric.

If the CEO is not accountable, who is?

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 4, 2014 5:22 p.m.

Re: Bob K - "It is easy to sit in Utah and write about the situation -- but ignoring that about 70% of Californians now think that Prop 8 was wrong"...

Does it really matter IF 70% of California thinks prop-8 was wrong? That's really not the point.

Are you saying that IF 70% of the population disagree with your politics... it's OK to fire you for your views?

And what if it's just 51% of the people in the State? Still OK to fire because you donated to the wrong side?

Because that may be what's making some Liberals uneasy. There ARE some States where 51% of the people disagree with them... does that mean it's OK to fire them??

===

The point here is not whether Prop-8 was right or wrong. The point is... is it OK to fire CEOs for having donated a little money to the campaign?

===

And if it is OK... is it OK to fire liberals for donating money to Al Gore's campaign (IF 51% of the people in that State didn't like Al Gore)??

===

It's one of those, if it's OK for you.. is it OK for me... kinda things.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    April 4, 2014 4:59 p.m.

@Bob K

"You cannot be the boss if you have been publicly revealed to espouse a cause that hurts some of your employees, and you do not, after 5 years, say you were wrong.

ALL he had to do was say in 2014 that Prop 8 was wrong and hurtful."

Just because YOU say he was wrong, does not make him wrong. This attitude is akin to the captors of an American POW who tell him publicly criticize the U.S. and we won't beat you to a pulp.

You are just like the radicals who forced his resignation. "Conform to my belief or we will hurt you."

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    April 4, 2014 4:47 p.m.

“Mozilla believes both in equality and freedom of speech,”

Okay, one out of two ain't so bad.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    April 4, 2014 4:31 p.m.

"So, "some liberals are uneasy", eh?

It would be nice if the author had cited some."

I guess what the title of the article should be is "Why liberals should be uneasy about Brandan Eich's resignation if they really cared about peoples' constitutional rights". But that's not politically correct.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 4, 2014 4:27 p.m.

I can see why some liberals would be uneasy with this. What I don't understand is the liberals that are completely comfortable with it!

===

The reason I see to be uneasy with it is... how do you expect people to be tolerant of YOUR political beliefs... When you yourself fire people for not agreeing with you!

The second reason is... our human tendency to keep score and get even. Somebody is already justifying it happened to Van Jones.

It becomes a, "They send one of ours to the Hospital... we send one of theirs to the morgue"... type of mentality when people keep score like this and use it to justify their actions.

===

The reason liberals SHOULD be uneasy about this is... what if people did it to YOU? And used this incident as their justification.

===

I think we all realize what happened was not good example of tolerance. Even the people who did it have said they did it wrong. You don't need to keep trying to defend it now.

What we need to do is say this isn't the way we work in America... and move on.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    April 4, 2014 4:24 p.m.

They should be uneasy. I applaud Andrew Sullivan, a known gay activist for recognizing the negative ramifications of firing an individual for their political views/contributions. I especially liked his comparison of how folks would respond if someone were fired for donating money AGAINST Prop 8.

• Bob K portland, OR
    April 4, 2014 4:13 p.m.

It's VERY simple:

ALL he had to do was say in 2014 that Prop 8 was wrong and hurtful.

He stuck to his beliefs, which is admirable, but he can't be CEO.

It is easy to sit in Utah and write about the situation -- but ignoring that about 70% of Californians now think that Prop 8 was wrong and was wrongly pushed by some churches is pretty darn ridiculous.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 4, 2014 4:05 p.m.

• Understands Math Lacey, WA
    April 4, 2014 3:58 p.m.

So, "some liberals are uneasy", eh?

It would be nice if the author had cited some.

Conor Friedersdorf? Not a liberal. Andrew Sullivan? Not a liberal.

The article says that Rakesh Sharma self-identifies as a liberal, but looking at his articles at Forbes, I didn't see any articles that touched on social issues: the vast majority of his writing seems to be on patent issues.

For an article that purported to discuss what liberals think, it seemed to spend most of the time discussing conservative thought instead.