Utahns among the millions signing up for health insurance

• RedShirtCalTech Pasedena, CA
    April 7, 2014 7:51 a.m.

To "cmsense" repeal is the best option. Anything less than repeal is only changes things from a sprint to socialism to a walk. The destination is still the same.

Government will never make healthcare or health insurance cost less overall in the US. The best they can do is take more from the rich, give to themselves, and then pass on the remainder to the poor.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    April 6, 2014 4:15 p.m.

@ financenco

Utah's population is just shy of 3 million. We've had over 2 million for over 15 years. Where have you been?

• cmsense Kaysville, UT
    April 4, 2014 4:47 p.m.

To Red shirtcaltec, I have been hoping for a Republican plan for years and they are big on repeal but short on replace. Sen. Bennett and Sen Widen (Ore) had the only one that made any sense but it never had traction and the Tea Party Republicans in Utah tossed Bennett out for being so liberal to entertain such ideas and to work with a democrat to come to a solution. Now that the ACA is here and the Republicans are trying to come up with ideas but I don't think they are there yet.
    Why don't you inform me because these Republican plans are very skimpy or maybe they are hiding them. None of them are well thought out or are more about sound bites than details. The ACA ends a lot of injustices. The Republicans seem more concerned with protecting insurance and pharmacutal profits than cutting costs and helping the poor.

• RedShirtCalTech Pasedena, CA
    April 4, 2014 11:58 a.m.

To "cmsense" first of all, you have missed the numerous articles lately that detail some of the plans that the Republicans currently have. You also missed the many different plans that they had.

BUt that is just a side point. The main point is that you can make an inexpensive quality healthcare system. The problem is that the government doesn't like it because it requires that you cut the regulations imposed by government. They don't like giving up control.

• cmsense Kaysville, UT
    April 3, 2014 9:58 p.m.

There is no way to make a perfect or inexpensive quality healthcare system. The ACA is a big step forward. Sadly the Republicans were leading from behind on this issue and became the party of no rather than put forth a better plan. It was easier to complain than to be problem solvers. Since it was Obama who got it done (who wanted but did not get to have a government plan on the exchanges) they fail to acknowledge the Republican ideas of a marketplace, competition, private insurance and the similar nature it has to Romneycare etc. It was never fair to penalize or deny insurance to people for pre existing conditions, to give big tax credits to corporations but not individuals etc. Lets make it fair for all, so all have equal opportunity to have insurance! No special rules for corporations (Republicans) or for Unions(Democrats). How about a novel idea and treat everyone the same!

• rebelyr SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 3, 2014 7:44 p.m.

It seems to work in Europe, Australia,etc... Doctors might have to take a drop in pay I have myself. Its a step forward and I like it! I,m sure the bugs will get worked out of it. Its obvious whos opposed to it., LETS do it!

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    April 3, 2014 4:45 p.m.

@rlstinso, Medicare is separately funded by the payroll tax. Medicare funds can not be spent for Medicaid, which is the government's only expense under ACA. The "cuts" to Medicare budget have been reduced expenditures to the Medicare advantage insurance companies, who have been rolling in the dough; it has nothing to do with Obamacare, despite the efforts of GOP politicians to claim otherwise. But you are right; many rural areas (where, ironically medical care is generally cheaper) have seen their insurance prices rise because of a lack of competition.

• rlstinso Phoenix, AZ
    April 3, 2014 3:20 p.m.

@Laura Bilington- I never said I worked in the ER. I work at an orthopedic hospital and many elderly are no longer covered for hip replacements. Medicare covers less than it did a year ago because many of those funds are being funneled to support obamacare. I know that no one wants to admit the horror stories because I used to be one of you. It's hard to deny when you see it first hand in your job though.

The zip code I live in is considered rural. Rural healthcare has always been more expensive but has been exacerbated under the ACA. Our costs have gone up. An EEG for my daughter before ACA cost $690. Now we pay $950; and since our deductible is much higher than last year, we will be paying for most of them out of pocket. Her old prescription is not covered under ACA so we have been searching for a new one that works. So far none work as good as the old one.

I am very happy for your son and his family. I wish the ACA would cause everyone's situation to improve like that.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    April 3, 2014 1:33 p.m.

It is actually NOT wise, wisemomma, to go without insurance. Not a good choice. Personal responsibility goes a long way to making our society better. Cause if you get sick, the rest of us are probably going to be footing the bill for the costs you can't cover.

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    April 3, 2014 10:58 a.m.

@1 wisemomma said "we will not be getting health insurance--the fine is cheaper!".

I certainly hope that you stay healthy, wisemomma. Because the fine is a drop in the bucket compared to shelling out megabucks for hospital bills.

@BoringGuy. You're right. And his actions are sad, even though they were predictable.

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    April 3, 2014 10:43 a.m.

@rlstinso wrote “The elderly that we have to turn away because of the ACA makes me sick and depressed.”.

What are you talking about?

If the person shows up at your ER and it is truly an urgent medical situation, they will be treated-- federal law. Age or immigration status is irrelevant.

If they are “elderly”, they have coverage through Medicare, unless they are illegal immigrants. The ACA hasn’t changed this.

“On top of that, healthcare prices in our area have gone up.” Um..this is something new? Was Obamacare supposed to stop this?

“I haven't met anyone who considers it a positive thing.”

I can’t tell you about your circle of friends, but my son’s wife got coverage for herself and their child through her employer. They couldn’t afford to cover my son, so he went without. Now they have coverage independent of her employer--and better coverage--for all three, for $140 per month less. Another low income son has coverage including prescription drugs (previously unavailable at any price)--for a zero copay through the Medicaid expansion.

• rebelyr SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 2, 2014 9:16 p.m.

We Utahns Republican or not. I think should reconsider our sta..nd on ObamaCare, Even though we can't claim it on our taxes (that couple extra dollars for ins.) It gets the young, the old, the needy involved in health care. LETS do it I say! Why would politics even have an impact on this matter?

• rlstinso Phoenix, AZ
    April 2, 2014 6:17 p.m.

I'm sorry but I just don't see what is so great about the ACA and I haven't met anyone who considers it a positive thing. I supported Obama in the beginning but the ACA has really hurt my family. Our insurance rates doubled and our deductible went from $1,000 to $6,000. On top of that, healthcare prices in our area have gone up. So far this year I have paid over $3,000 out of pocket to get my family treated. I miss the good old days when healthcare and health insurance were affordable and actually covered illnesses. I work at a hospital and I a appalled at little we cover now. The elderly that we have to turn away because of the ACA makes me sick and depressed.

• John Locke Ivins, , UT
    April 2, 2014 3:59 p.m.

I guess Obama is not the only one to have run a victory lap...sometimes I feel that is nothing more than the old, "my red is better than your blue color," or "my team won, your team didn't, hooray," without any idea of the underlying concerns or the real facts, like how many are really new? How many will continue to pay into their plan, especially young people? Will I be able to find a Dr. or hospital near me when I really need it? What are the back end costs of this disaster?

So, you Obama fans dream on, while the rest of us cater to you every welfare whim. over 40% on welfare, not working, on unemployment compensation for several years. There are still 30,000,000 people uninsured. So, who really won here, as you as you "cheer" your team on?

No one. Everyone really lost on this one. Your Grand kids will foot this bill.

• Wilf 55 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 2, 2014 2:36 p.m.

"So Wilf 55, why did you come here? After all, apparently what you had in western Europe was ideal... "

Very simple: the US asked me to come because of my expertise. I am glad to serve in behalf of the cooperation between the US and Europe. Please, let us learn from each other. There is much good on either side.

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    April 2, 2014 2:09 p.m.

Please also consider this: For me, and most supporters, the ACA is not about politics. It is about health care. I wish it, or something close to it, had existed forty years ago, when I might have been able to have the choice to work and not be concerned with getting care for my chronic medical condition. So while many feel the ACA needs work, it is something that has been a gift to many, and what many like me are glad to see come along for those who will not face what we did when we were younger. Let's remember the words of the late Senator Ted Kennedy--Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    April 2, 2014 1:44 p.m.

No one pays a penalty if they already get insured, can't afford insurance, or are exempt. And they aren't going to go after the penalty anyway, as they would if you don't pay your taxes. Btw, all those folks who are now insured, who would not be if the ACA were magically repealed and their new insurance were taken away from them would have their healthcare paid for by taxpayers at Emergency Room prices. And not when they need just checkups and medication refills, but when their conditions are truly serious emergencies! That will cost more than some expanded Medicaid or a few subsidy dollars. And it will come as additional cost to your insurance. not only that, but since the ACA included shrinking the donut hole for Medicare Part D, ending lifetime caps and raising costs or cutting coverage to those with preexisting conditions, considering being a female a preexisting condition, and a lot of other things too numerous to list here, not only will poor and working poor folks be feeling it, but so will the elderly and many who don't realize the ACA was working for them, too. Just in case you wondered...

• etrnllife4evr tucson, AZ
    April 2, 2014 1:39 p.m.

Obamacare is not working and will never work. The false sign up number really has no merit even if correct considering more people lost coverage due to the UNAFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE ACT.We went backwards and expert analysts will tell you that this health care nonsense Obama has created is simply cost shifting.Taking care from some to give to others.How about all the companies who had to let go full time employees due to unaffordability of health care forced on them and subsequently many more people are part time now or unemployed thus increasing unemployment more than it was, something else that has been a disaster under the obama administration. He spends millions on lavious vacations and his wife runs around the world embarrassing our country with her behavior.The UAHCA is a disaster and will yield much more negative results that positive and cause more financial strain on households than it will ever benefit by a wide margin. Wait and see it is a guarantee to become a downfall of our economy.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    April 2, 2014 12:27 p.m.

The individual stories are informative and heartfelt...if true.

The hyperbolic statements coming from the same people day after day...

The DN owns this forum.

The DN controls the tenor of the comments.

The DN considers that all the approved comments encourage civil dialogue and are thoughtful.

For example, when the Republicans are back in control of government as they were 2001-2006, the DN will approve opposition comments issued day after day offering the same level/amount/type of hyperbolic statements...

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    April 2, 2014 12:05 p.m.

Attention DN staff writers. If a person is here on a work visa or here illegally, they are not Americans, they are Foreign Nationals.

Next, to those of you that say the ACA is working, tell us how?

All this proves is compliance, not actual function.

Before the ACA was passed we were told that there are 40 million uninsured. Their best estimates put 1/3 of the new signups being people that were previously uninsured. That means that about 5% of the uninsured actually were able to obtain insurance. That alone should equate to failure.

Next, you have the average 32% increase in premiums after being promised a decrease of $2500.

We have the increases in taxes to medical devices. The people that have lost their doctors. You can also look at the number of people that are paying more, but have higher deductibles now. You have the fact that when it was first proposed it was going to cost about $900 billion, but now its cost is $2.7 Trillion.

Tell us, how is this a success?

• Kimber Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2014 12:01 p.m.

Good article! Yes, the time finally came for all those against the ACA to eat their words. I know that new things are often misunderstood. But as stated from the beginning....this is a program to help people that don't have insurance (or who had inadequate insurance). It isn't perfect, but is a great step forward for our country. God Bless America!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 2, 2014 12:00 p.m.

@ 1 wisemomma, while I don't know your circumstances, I'll take your word for it that the ACA isn't getting it done for you. It doesn't mean that the ACA is not working for millions and the overall benefit is positive. You want the subsidy. But you don't qualify. Do you have insurance now? If you don't, then your position has not changed. In the end, situations like yours shows that while the ACA does some good, it's not enough. Single payer system is the only way. Other nations do it. Why can't we?

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2014 11:54 a.m.

Rush and Sean Hannity stopped it four years ago, didn't they? The truth is they are ineffective and make millions spinning negatively.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    April 2, 2014 11:52 a.m.

Conservcatives also screamed that SS and Medicare would not work when they went into affect. Generations later and our country being saved from looking like the streets of Bangledish they were proved wrong. Conservatives don't make great leaders and leaders don't conserve America's ability to progress and innovate. Well done BO, carry on!

• Bruce A. Frank San Jose, CA
    April 2, 2014 11:35 a.m.

Seven million! Wow! And you even get to keep the doctor you like and the policy you like and, and somebody else is even going to pay for it! I just love being forced, at the point of a gun, to pay for your subsidy while also paying for my own doubled priced/reduced coverage "insurance." Wouldn't want to shrug my "responsibilities," but John sent my ticket and my gold share and my bags are checked. Have to turn off my computer now. They just made the boarding call for the plane to Galt's Gulch.

No need to forward my mail.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    April 2, 2014 11:32 a.m.

My premium went up, but no more than it has gone up for the last 10 years, it might have even been less. We will have to wait and see what happens next year before I draw any final opinions on Obamacare. The only thing that strikes me as ironic is that we are considering it a success the more people sign up.... shouldn't a success be less people reliant on it and more employers choosing to offer private coverage to their employees?

@1 wisemomma

I am going to assume you are older and don't have kids at home, 1799 sounds about inline with what insurance costs for a couple in the older bracket. Sorry, it's been that way for long time, even before Obamacare came around. I hate to pull the tea party personal responsibility line, but it sounds like you need to take some personal responsibility and find new employment that helps pay for your health insurance. Everyone loves to talk personal responsibility until they are suddenly the ones in a bad situation.

• YoungPuppy west Jordan, UT
    April 2, 2014 11:16 a.m.

My girlfriend is one of the people that signed up for this absolutely wonderful program called the ACA. She has been in constant pain for 3 years. Lost her job 2 years ago because she could not stand the pain anymore. We have gone to over a dozen doctors and had to pay out of pocket because she was uninsured. Then she signed up for insurance that was finally affordable. She finally found out that she had cancer and is going through steps to get better again and get healthy and get back to being a productive member of society again. Without this new insurance provided by the ACA she would be burdened for live with medical bills or dead because she could not afford treatment.

People have been saying how bad it is or that it is practically the worst law since slavery. All I know is that It has impacted my life for the better and when my girlfriend recovers she will become my wife. All thanks to an improved healthcare system where insurance is affordable.

• gwtchd Mountain Village, AK
    April 2, 2014 11:12 a.m.

Boring Guy: Obama Care is not working yet. People may be signing u but they have not paid there premiums. There are people out there that are still uninsured because Obama Care rejects them. There are also people out there who are paying higher premiums for the same coverage they had before. And there are people out there who can not use the same doctor that they had before. Who and there are people out there who cannot keep their same plan. Poeple are being forced to pay for benefits that they don't need.

Still there are not enough people signed up to pay for Obama care. Look back at the beginning of the ACA. how many people did they say they needed to signup. They keep lowering the number to try and make it look like it is working.

Take off the blinders man.

April 2, 2014 10:59 a.m.

I have family members stuck in the gap created by our legislature. We purchased a high deductible policy which starts paying after $4,000 in medical costs. The premium will cost approximately $5000 for the year for an adult and a child. So we are into it for $9,000. In the mean time, I paid an additional $900 in Medicaid taxes for 2013 that someone in this State has decided we don't want or need. Thanks very much.

We are very close to taking them off of insurance and simply using the emergency room as the medical solution. Got the flu, go to the emergency room - let them figure out how to pay for it. Hearing some of the far right commenters on this board doesn't make me feel to bad about sticking it to them in the form of higher medical costs.

• BoringGuy Holladay, UT
    April 2, 2014 10:43 a.m.

Any governor who declines the Medicaid funds is badly hurting his own citizens by denying them much-needed health care.

The only logical reason a governor would do such an act against the poor is to make his own extremist base happy -- putting politics above people's needs.

• 1 wisemomma Valley Center, USA, CA
    April 2, 2014 10:31 a.m.

Sorry to be the one to rain on your parade but Obamacare is not working. My husband and I do NOT qualify for any federal subsidies, by a very small margin, $350.00. And since we do not qualify we will have to pay $1799.00 per month, with very small benefits and a very high deductible. We live on less than $5000 per month. You do the math....we will not be getting health insurance-the fine is cheaper!

• Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2014 10:28 a.m.

Noooooo! It can't work, it just can't!

I've been whining about Obamacare ruining this country for so long, I don't know what I will complain about if it becomes successful.

No, this country CAN'T be prosperous under the evil Obama! I won't let it!!!!

• babyR Salt Lake, UT
    April 2, 2014 10:06 a.m.

Republicans and the people will have the last laugh, when all that is said is NOT done. Any program that is built on lies and deceit will ultimately fail!

• Joan Watson TWIN FALLS, ID
    April 2, 2014 9:57 a.m.

It is what it has become. One who lost, an insurance that would pay for what Medicare would not - as long as it was approved by Medicare - is now enrolled in a new insurance plan. The new insurance has lower monthly premiums, but has higher out of pocket costs, including a 2,500 yearly deductible. If one is wise, save for the deductible - and double save - if surgery and sickness should occur at the last and beginning of a new year. Also, realize that more and more medical procedures and tests are not covered. Bottom line, citizens will pay more out of pocket expenses for ones medical treatments. Unless, one is enrolled in Medicaid.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    April 2, 2014 9:54 a.m.

" Rates are skyrocketing, even after the infusion of massive, inadequately funded government subsidies."

Absolutely not true.

If you had a policy that didn't meet standards maybe your new good coverage has increased but that's it. In general rates have maintained or decreased.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    April 2, 2014 9:24 a.m.

They keep repeating the sky is falling, and yet it doesn't.
    The saddest, angriest people I work with listen to this nonsense
    on their radios all day, predicting the end of civilization from
    healthcare to the russians are out to pulverize us in our sleep tonight.

It's working, and the GOP are still in denial.

• justamacguy Manti, UT
    April 2, 2014 9:03 a.m.

It was appropriate that the president talk about health care on April Fools' Day, because it's the biggest joke ever foisted on the American public. My son has been trying to enroll in it. He is a full-time student. He has and intern job that pays $192 a week. Obamacare rejected him and told him to go to Medicaid. When he went to Medicaid, Medicaid rejected him as ineligible. Please tell me how a student that makes $192 a week has rent food and tuition to pay can't qualify? Anybody who thinks that Obamacare is working is out of touch with reality.

• Kay Hunt Celebration, FL
    April 2, 2014 9:03 a.m.

I own a company and yes we got the letter telling me that my employee plan was no longer as of the end of December 2013. But we got with our insurance man and found another policy and it started on January 15th 2014 our renewal date. And guess what. We have better coverage for less money. Quite a bit of a savings. Enough to look into a vision plan for my employees.

• Hey It's Me Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2014 8:55 a.m.

Telling people they have to have healthcare or they will be fined and changing the final sign up date several times is a great way to claim 7 million people want this. A friend who is without healthcare but did now sign up for Obamacare can't find a doctor in the area that accepts her insurance. So she has insurance that she is paying for (well we are paying part of it since she gets subsidized) and so the money is going into the system but she can't get treated. I call that Great Coverage. If Government Healthcare is so good, let's end taxpayer healthcare for all Federal Government Employees (including the President) and let them pay like everyone else has to get "Great Care"!

• friends2you District Heights, MD
    April 2, 2014 8:54 a.m.

First, Did anyone vote for this? or were you forced to pay a huge tax for 40 plus years if your 20? Lets see, 700x12= 8400 a year= $336,000 dollars paid plus 5% a year increase for 39 years =?. DID you vote for this? What about the influx of 7million new people on an over whelmed health care system already? There has been no prep for new doctors to cover the increase. Doctors are being paid less than half of what they were 5 years ago on tests yet their cost has increase considerably. On a list of 20 doctors listed for Obamacare only 2 except it. I work in Healthcare and this bate n switch is garbage.

• Ron Hilton Holladay, UT
    April 2, 2014 8:46 a.m.

ACA is fatally flawed because it's incentives for young, healthy people to enroll are doomed to failure. By guaranteeing insurance for those with pre-existing conditions, eliminating low-cost catastrophic plans, and assessing only a small tax penalty for not enrolling, there is no reason for young, healthy people to enroll. Just pay the little fine and wait until you get sick to buy insurance. The result? Rates are skyrocketing, even after the infusion of massive, inadequately funded government subsidies. Of course that's exactly what Obama wants, so he can point the accusing finger at insurance companies, and try to justify fully socialized medicine with gargantuan tax increases. A free-market based solution would be make insurance portable, such that those with pre-existing conditions would be covered as long as they signed up for a new policy within a reasonable period of time. That would provide an incentive for young, healthy people to stay enrolled in basic, low-cost plans, so that they can get the insurance they need later in life, while paying something into the system throughout their lives to make it all work economically.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    April 2, 2014 8:36 a.m.

Any country where companies pay corporate execs hundreds of times as much as workers get and the country finds the money to always go to war can certainly find the money to see that all its people get decent health care.

• Samwise Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 2, 2014 8:31 a.m.

As of 4 days ago, Obamacare reached its lowest approval rating ever at 26%. One of you Obamacare enthusiasts said people are coming around in support of it. 26% does not sound like most of America is supporting it. Lowest approval rating for the law ever does not sound like peopl are coming around in support of it. Just admit it. It is a horrible law. Even some hard headed democrats are starting to see the light on this issue.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    April 2, 2014 8:23 a.m.

Let me guess: Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck calls Obama "Fearless Leader". And the dittoheads have to ditto. Think an original thought sometime, folks.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    April 2, 2014 8:03 a.m.

"And the the number of Americans coming around in support of ObamaCare pretty much disproves the Right Wing theory that the ACA is hugely unpopular with the American people..."

Or proves people will bow and submit if forced.

• Wilf 55 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 2, 2014 7:57 a.m.

Coming from a West-European country where healthcare is universal, I can only say that Obamacare is finally bringing the U.S. into the club of the most advanced nations that do care about every person. Affordable health care to all, also to those with a pre-existing condition, is the way to go. Please don't use easy words like "socialism" or "communism" to disparage a basic program for our health.

• trueblue75 USA, NC
    April 2, 2014 7:53 a.m.

How many citizens in the USA??? and how does that number compare to the supposed 7 Million who have signed up for this disaster?

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 2, 2014 7:52 a.m.

Funny how a requirement to get health insurance, which will help all of us, is so opposed by conservatives who * claim * to be in favor of personal responsibility. Take a look at the story today about the poor young man who was in an accident, thrown out of the car and hit twice by passing vehicles. With no insurance, not only is he faced with a difficult recovery, but he is saddled with either massive debt or bankruptcy. Opponents and haters, instead of attacking an effort to fix a serious issue, let's improve the ACA and make it better, or move to a system like that of the rest of the Western world. We can do better, rather than bitterly complain.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    April 2, 2014 7:49 a.m.

Yea maybe but... now the new "but" is "but how many have paid?".

It's like watching an argument on a elementary school playground.

Whether it's seven million or eventually 40 million the doomsayers need to be able to explain to this group why they don't get to fully participate as partners in the health care system.

The right preaches personal responsibility and then a system is created where they can participate fully (payer and payee) and they hate it because it carries Obama's name. Are you really against citizens having health care despite a pre-existing condition, are you for life time caps, are you against wellness checks for everyone..?

Jimmy Kimmel asked people on the street if they were for the ACA or Obamacare and it didn't take him long to find enough people who hated Oabmacare and loved the ACA to fill a segment.

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    April 2, 2014 7:36 a.m.

Obamacare is great, my premiums only doubled.. what a blessing! thanks Obama

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    April 2, 2014 7:23 a.m.

"You WILL do what we say or you will pay the penalty. We're from the government. We're here to help" ~ Fearless Leader

• Bill McGee Alpine, UT
    April 2, 2014 7:17 a.m.

There is so much misinformation

1. Prior to the ACA, over 50 million Americans were uninsured. We have to do more.
    2. If someone did not complete the enrollment (like the lady in this article) they were not included in the 7.1 million.
    3. The governor decided to take over $430M of OUR money and give it away to other states rather than participate in the medicate program that would cover families ineligible for the ACA. That leaves over 130,000 poor Utahans uninsured. When they get sick, who do you think pays for that?
    4. Every INDEPENDENT accounting office has said the ACA will save us money. Claims it will gut our economy are fear based, not reality based.

People need to set aside their anger and preconceived ideas and think this through.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    April 2, 2014 7:02 a.m.

Odd. The review board for DNews comments did not allow my post because I called our President brave and congratulated him on this wonderful accomplishment said that those who were fearful of this act had been duped by doomsayers. Yet above I read where the writer refers to our President as "the Dear Leader." I know this note probably won't be allowed either, but Des News appropriateness staff? Look at yourselves in the mirror, please. You may be biased against Obamacare, but don't let that keep you from doing your job fairly and honestly. Congrats Obamacare. You have done it! And congrats to all who fought in this toughest domestic battle in decades.

• Ralph West Jordan Taylorsville, UT
    April 2, 2014 6:53 a.m.

@ Mainly Me

Nice of you to step away from your Fox News recordings to weigh in! I for one " believe the line from the Dear Leader" along with "Boring Guy", seven million who have signed up for the ACA and the rest of the population that voted the POTUS in TWICE! Much to yours and the rest of the Repubs. dismay, the ACA is a landmark law for the good of the country. Lets be honest, it isn't the ACA that rankles the Right Wing, its the fact that Obama is president! Nothing more nothing less!

• financenco Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2014 6:48 a.m.

Writer must be a RINO follower for Senator Hatch. Obamacare is a disaster. They claim over 6 million people signed up. Which is a false number. But we will use it, for the sake of arguement. They claim over 6 million. Of that ask these questions. Of that 6 million, how did they come up with the 4 million people to sign up in two weeks, on a website that seldom works? Of that 6 million, how many actually paid for it, not just leave it in the cart? How many were sent to medicaid or medicare instead? How many are getting subsidies for it? Both of the last two questtions are paid from taxpayers. If we have only 6 million that signed up, why are there 48 million without healthcare, and only 10% of those previously uninsured, signing up for the program? The numbers are flawed, not factualy. Like anything touted by the D.C. folks. Last question. Since when did Utah have a population of millions? If that is the case, we should have more representation in Washington. But only if really conservative.

• Ada466 Westford, MA
    April 2, 2014 6:00 a.m.

What about those that lost their insurance because of the ACT? Coming from a country where health care is socialized I have seen the pros and cons of this system and I would NEVER go back. Thanks to Obama his ACT has become my worst nightmare.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    April 2, 2014 5:22 a.m.

Really Mainly Me? You don't think Americans believe in Obama? I guess you didn't notice that Obama won the Presidency TWICE by impressive margins.

And the the number of Americans coming around in support of ObamaCare pretty much disproves the Right Wing theory that the ACA is hugely unpopular with the American people . . . Doncha think?

So you think the ACA was designed to "gut the economy of this nation?" That's an interesting theory.

That's so Communists can take over, right? . . . Or just how would that work?

• Swartzy Arlington, TX
    April 2, 2014 4:42 a.m.

When you go fishing, you put a lure or a worm on the hook to catch the fish. The fish bits it and then is "HOOKED" and can't get away. This is the way "Obamacare" works. It hooks you and then we are all pulled into a program that will kill our health care, not improve it. This is just the WORM and nothing more. I am glad some people are getting insurance for the first time, but it won't last, this program will implode and then the GOVT will take over all of it, and we lose. I hope we can get rid of it after Nov. and put some real programs in it's place. At least I can dream about it. We have to get rid of the worst President in history, and enough in the Senate to over ride a veto would be a start.

• My2Cents Taylorsville, UT
    April 2, 2014 3:49 a.m.

Under duress, threats of fine and imprisonment not to register with the federal government can hardly be called a success pitch for Obamacare. Just because people are forced to register by law does not mean they will pay the government for health care that will not be provided.

Very few can afford this health care including on SS who can't afford the medicare and $4,000/yr prepayments and 50% of cost coverage after the prepayment every year, they have to register anyway and still can't get insurance.

So far with 7,000,000+, paying feds a registration cost for the privilege to buy insurance under duress, the overhead of $17,000,000,000,000 regulator laws on a revenue of $1.7 Trillion premium. It cost 10 times more to operate the program doesn't include hospital, doctor, prescription costs according to team Obama's own prediction, a known failure and lie.

FYI, its not the republicans combating this health care, they want it too so business and labor can't use health care as condition of employment. Then it leaves the balance of 293 million Americans who don't want to belong to Obama care, the majority have a voice and choice too.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2014 2:42 a.m.

@ Mainly Me

The sky is not falling. I don't think healthcare reform went far enough, but nonetheless, the Affordable Care Act is a good thing for this country. But if you had another idea on how to lower healthcare costs, expand coverage for more citizens, and find a way to pay for the healthcare of the aging population, we would love to hear it. Keep in mind that the old system was extremely inefficient and was unsustainable....

• Grammy3 SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    April 2, 2014 2:34 a.m.

To me it is a big fat lie and joke. Obamacare is going to ruin this country and the ones who are going to have to pay for it is the younger people. He lied to the Country in saying that you can keep your plan as well as you can keep your doctor or Hospital. I am one of those who he lied to. I know longer can go to where I was going. So you just wait all of you who think that this is great in few years from now you will have egg on your face and see that it was nothing but a stinking lie.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2014 12:38 a.m.

Healthcare > Fearmongering.

• Tumbleweed Centerville, UT
    April 2, 2014 12:01 a.m.

@boringguy. "It looks like ObamaCare is working." ??????

Are you kidding? 7 million signed up, many of which haven't even paid a premium? Patients with cancer finding out they are not insured? 300 Million Americans and 7 million are "signed up" and it's successful? How pathetic. And it's a government program, kinda like the Post Office which is also on the verge of bankruptcy and Social Security which is always in danger of not being available to seniors who paid into it for years.

• Let's Agree to Disagree Spanish Fork, UT
    April 1, 2014 11:39 p.m.

Check the date today. The announcement of 7.1 million enrolled is an April Fool's day prank...Now who is going to self identify as someone for whom this date is eponymously named, by stating that they believe this number is anywhere near accurate?

Even if it was, it is pitifully small compared to the number of people who allegedly could not wait for this law to pass so they could get "coverage".

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    April 1, 2014 11:35 p.m.

Re: Mainly "Really? You honestly believe the line from the Dear Leader? I didn't really believe there were people who truly, in their hearts believed that socialist line." Socialist? I only wish. It's an old story, but let me repeat - the ACA is an only slightly rehashed proposal of the Heritage Foundation which in turn was the model for Romneycare in Massachusetts.

Now I could give you a real socialist solution. In the meantime Obama and Company can feel pretty good about their success with this, and the Republicans are now free to find another line of attack against Obama.

Lastly your "Dear Leader" moniker is getting really old, and is sophomoric and disrespectful.

• high school fan Huntington, UT
    April 1, 2014 11:06 p.m.

The lady applied but doesn't qualify but she does count as one of the seven million, how many more are the same way? A lot I would dare say. With most of the new signees signing up for Medicaid, who is paying for all this?

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    April 1, 2014 10:14 p.m.

The Not Affordable At All Care Act is going to gut the economy of this nation, which is precisely what it was designed to do.

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    April 1, 2014 10:14 p.m.

• BoringGuy Holladay, UT
    April 1, 2014 9:27 p.m.

It looks like ObamaCare is working. All the Republicans who've been yelling and screaming about the demise of the health system must feel a little silly right about now.