Sports

Brad Rock: BYU's Carlino unpredictable to the end

Comments

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    April 4, 2014 9:46 a.m.

I'm sad to lose Carlino. Remember the passing of Jeff Congdon? Most of you can't. But I remember, and there is something magic in that kind of passing. Carlino had that magic. If only he had consistency in his shooting, or had a "pass first" mindset. I loved Carlino's unabashed joy when having fun. Remember "Kresh?" Remember Matt Carlino!

• Blue Rampage Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2014 5:02 p.m.

In search of individual stardom in a team sport, Carlino attended two different high schools, committed to UNLV and Indiana, signed with UCLA and stayed for a few weeks then quit because he didn't start as a freshman and transferred to BYU. Now, he's quitting again because he wants to be "THE MAN."

Most of the time, I hated watching Matt Carlino play. A few times, I was intrigued when he got hot, but it never lasted and nothing but being the only many in the spotlight was ever good enough for him.

Who knows where Matt Carlino will end up... And who cares? I for one, will not miss Matt Carlino.

• Jack of trades SLC, UT
    April 3, 2014 2:14 p.m.

When someone leaves a program, it generally means their heart was never there. BYU will be better off without him.

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    April 3, 2014 10:01 a.m.

Carlino is so great that I predict he will be coaching a high school team within the next 2 years or selling insurance

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2014 8:26 a.m.

objectified,

Actually, its not very common at all to ask college juniors if they are going to transfer, even if they are coming off the bench.

You're getting confused with professional athletes who yes are asked all the time about if they are happy with where they are playing.

Its really quite rare for a reporter to ask a guy who plays significant minutes(even if they are off the bench) if he's leaving for his last year.

• Ghost Writer GILBERT, AZ
    April 2, 2014 8:59 p.m.

I can almost guarantee that Carlino didn't leave because of anything shocking about "those crazy Mormons" at BYU. He went to a high school where 1/3 of the student body was LDS. I would think he was pretty comfortable with being around Latter-day Saints.

• bigv56 Cottonwood, CA
    April 2, 2014 8:45 p.m.

Carlino is not too self aware. He would give any coach a heart attack. Flashes of brilliance more than offset by mind numbing shots at mind blowing times in the game. WHere is the basketball sense after all these years. Good luck wherever you go, hopefully you learned fromyour mistakes , but I have a feeling you still dont get it.

• JmThms Henderson, NV
    April 2, 2014 6:44 p.m.

Chris B says: "Good decision by Matt - best of luck".

Why is it a good decision? IF it is due to his losing a starting position, then no it isn't. Much like the Jake Heaps situation, if the decision is due to thinking they deserve a starting roll, then it is not a good decision. Both of those players, Heaps and Carlino, were dealt with according to performance. It is getting better - consistency in Carlino's case - that they should be focused on, not running away from their shortcomings.

• Sweater In Rafters Franklin, IN
    April 2, 2014 5:00 p.m.

I wish Rock had of explained the part about BYU basketball being structured. Was that the humorous side of the article and we couldn't see his tongue in cheek?

I saw no structure ever, from anyone, ever...did i say never ever? What am i missing??

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 2, 2014 4:58 p.m.

Wiscougarfan
    River Falls, WI

Re: Uncle Rico

"He may be playing against Jimmer in Europe in a couple years."

You might be right. I think Carlino has what it takes to play professionally. I doubt he makes $7 million dollars in his first three years playing.

---------------

You doubt he'll make $7 million? I think you can be fairly certain that he won't racking up DNPs on a NBA bench for three years.

• LovelyDeseret Gilbert, AZ
    April 2, 2014 4:33 p.m.

Strangely written article. I wish Matt Carlino all the best at Arizona State next year. I look forward to watching him in person.

• Crisco B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2014 3:20 p.m.

As Brave Sir Sparrow points out, Carlino was never real good at defense. He only holds 2 of the top 20 spots in single season steals for the WCC all time record books......Carlino was one of the few guys who came out and actually played defense. BYU desperately needs someone that can play defense. Watching the women play was night and day in terms of defense.

Just let Carlino go. He came out and played his best. He is a 22 or so old guy. It's easy for the 40 year old blubberboys to sit on this board and blast him, but he came out and played (albeit at times with a sporadic touch) his best.

• starthillnotnelson Kamas/United States, UT
    April 2, 2014 3:07 p.m.

I think that Carlino has the potential to be a great player. He was trying to fill Jimmer's shoes, and that is impossible and unfair to do. He needs a team that will let him loose. He may be the most amazing player you have ever seen at times, and sometimes the worst. BYU just didn't want to risk that. I think that this could be a big blow, but it is a comfort to know that we have depth at the guard position.
    Best wishes to Matty Basketball.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2014 2:43 p.m.

Carlino played like an All-American at times and like the annoying guy on your ward team at times. Nonetheless, I support his decision to leave (make possible by graduating) and really hope the kids lands in a spot where he can have fun playing basketball. Sports always ends early...even for the best.

• Talon9 Oceanside, CA
    April 2, 2014 2:23 p.m.

Left UCLA because of a negative culture so I wouldn't hold that against him. Why not transfer? Has his degree can go somewhere that doesn't play in a weak league with little exposure and respect outside of Gonzaga. Doesn't have to make lame promotional videos anymore (joke "lightening up Francis") and watch Haws be "The Star." Because he graduated he had options and decided to see if he could improve with another system and coaches. Don't we all want to improve? I don't think BYU should worry too much and I don't think people should be so harsh on Carlino. If you had options with your work would you look at a better opportunity or a fresh start to improve yourself? Besides 3 years in Provo is long enough...

• Serenity Now Highland, UT
    April 2, 2014 2:21 p.m.

Count me as a Carlino fan. His shooting was sporadic, but he was a good defensive player (#7 all time in steals), and I loved it when he drove to the basket his frosh and soph years. His junior year was a bit rough, and I think the emergence of KC as the more reliable point guard had to have been tough for Carlino. I wish him the best wherever he goes.

• Jack from Ark Hensley, AR
    April 2, 2014 1:27 p.m.

Good luck Matt you gave us great help for three years and got a degree for your great work. Good luck in your pursuit of better position and Thanks for the memories

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    April 2, 2014 12:35 p.m.

Carlino originally committed to Indiana, then bailed and went to UCLA, then bailed and went to BYU, then bailed and went to....

I don't think he'll land at a major program or in a major conference because he's just too wishy-washy. Apparently he has issues with commitment. A decent program's not going to touch him because there's too much potential he'd leave the school before the season starts.

And the comparisons to Jimmer have to stop. As a Utah fan, I will be honest with you and say that Carlino isn't fit to hand Jimmer his Gatorade...Jimmer was 10 times the college player Carlino is, although neither of them were particularly good on defense.

• AZ Ute Scottsdale, AZ
    April 2, 2014 12:27 p.m.

"...has caused BYU fans more aggravation than liberalism and 'Big Love' combined" will vault its way into my top ten list of Rock quotes. Still laughing. Almost makes up for the D News censors rejecting my comment yesterday on the General Conference quiz for reasons I still don't understand.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    April 2, 2014 12:13 p.m.

Strange decision, but probably good for everyone involved. This sounds like someone who doesn't have people in his inner circle willing to tell him the hard truth. He's just a mediocre player, albeit one that delivers higher highs and lower lows than most. He had plenty of opportunities to be The Man at the Y; it's just hard to maintain that status when you're struggling to shoot 40/30/70 with too many turnovers. You is what you is, Matt. Moving to another school won't suddenly make you acceptably efficient.

The comments on his pro prospects are just goofy. If he gets more than a sniff at playing in some far corner of the world, I'll be shocked. Does Senegal have a league? After his freshman year, I thought he would have a shot at a career . . assuming a reasonable level of improvement. As we know, that hasn't happened.

Goodbye, Matty Bricks. I wish you well, but as a hoops player you just aren't that good, bro.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    April 2, 2014 11:49 a.m.

Carlino's reasons for leaving UCLA most likely had nothing to do with his playing time. It more than likely had a lot to do with a certain player on the UCLA squad who liked to bully other players; and for some reason had a special dislike for Carlino. There were a lot of guys who transferred away from that program because of the horrible atmosphere.

Thus, this transfer is not the same situation at all. I don't know his real reasons for transferring, but I wish him luck and hope he can find some consistency in his final year of eligibility. If he can find that consistency? Well, we all know how dangerous he can be.

Finally: comparisons to Jimmer? What? This is the first time I have ever read or heard anything about Carlino being expected to be like Jimmer. This conjecture was really the only problem I had with the article.

• Robyuuki Lewisburg, PA
    April 2, 2014 11:24 a.m.

I for one am of the opinion that Matt will continue to look for greener grass his whole life, instead of making the grass greener. He left UCLA to BYU because he was not getting what he wanted. At BYU his shooting was as up and down as a rollercoaster, much like the article showed so well. I wish him well, and it is my opinion, as it was shown in the end with him on the bench BYU will be just fine. when he had to be on the court because of injury, he returned to his style of shooting and not passing, despite a 27% avg. Thank you Matt for all you have done.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    April 2, 2014 11:20 a.m.

RE: Korenek

"It would appear that BYU's offense is built around having one player take the majority of the shots and the other players assume a supporting role. One has to wonder if Matt wanted to be more of the one taking the majority of the shots and less of the one playing the supporting role."

I think that is unlikely as Matt took more shots than anyone on BYU's team other than Haws, played the second most minutes of anyone on the team, and shot TWICE as many three pointers as anyone else on the team.

FYI: Tyler Haws shot 24.9% of all BYU's field goal attempts last season. Matt shot 19.5%, Collingsworth shot 16.1%, Mika shot 12.1%, Halford 8.9%, and Austin shot 4%. Troll conjecture = epic fail.

Go Cougs!

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2014 10:50 a.m.

• Objectified Tooele, UT
    April 2, 2014 10:08 a.m.

Chris B:

Actually, it's very common for reporters to ask any player who was previously a team starter, but then relegated to coming off the bench if they have thoughts of leaving before their next season. It's a natural question since most players don't like feeling demoted, and egos will then often come into play. Some players are more team oriented than others.
    As such, it's doubtful if any reporters (or coaches) actually saw this coming beyond just pure speculation (much like your comment)... especially since it was asked just a single time and multiple weeks ago.
    Taken in full context, it's obvious Carlino's leaving wasn't previously "obvious to many" as you once again make another assertion without foundation.

BTW: I'm glad your other controversial comment was removed. Its intent was obviously negative in nature and didn't add anything positive to the dialog. Rules are rules.

• nhatch82 Eagle Mountain, UT
    April 2, 2014 9:55 a.m.

Carlino reminded me of Tavernarri. When he gets hot look out but overall he tended to hurt us and frustrate everyone with terrible shot selection and turnovers. Anson Winder is a much better option at point and Bartley will continue to get better and better. this is a good move for both because I think Rose felt obligated to play Carlino.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    April 2, 2014 9:44 a.m.

Carlino will never be "than man" on any team. He would show flashes of what we all hoped and expected of him 3-4 games each season. But, he never strung a good, consistent season together for any of the 3 years he was here. He will forever be a "legand in his own mind."

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 2, 2014 9:37 a.m.

For those wondering about Carlino's impressions of BYU.

“I’m grateful for the opportunity Coach Rose and his staff have given me. I’m also grateful for my teammates, professors and advisors for making my time at BYU such a great experience and for helping me grow so much as a person. Thank you to the fans that have given me so much support. I feel very blessed that I was able to represent BYU.”

• Brio Alpine, UT
    April 2, 2014 9:29 a.m.

@ Chris:

Just curious as to why you wrote 2 of the first 3 comments to another all-BYU article... especially in light of the fact you make it no secret that you totally despise all things BYU?

On top of that, you totally speculate in trying to purposely create controversy concerning the reason for Matt's departure. It's never a good thing when someone (usually you) has to include "don't blame me..." in their comment (twice in this past week alone).

Since you've never said one positive thing about Carlino in the 3 years he was at BYU, why are you now wishing him "the best of luck"? Both your comments seem obviously laden with sarcasm and hypocrisy. Just being honest.

And since Utah has players transfer from both their basketball and football teams each and every season, why don't you spent a little more time speculating on those and a little less time feigning concern about BYU's transfers.

And since transferring seldom works out by any athlete from any sizable program (i.e., Jake Heaps, etc.), why do say this was "a good decision" by Carlino? You didn't list a reason.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    April 2, 2014 9:24 a.m.

Carlino and Loyd have nothing to do with each other. Their reasons for leaving could not be more different. Why do U make this stuff up?

Loyd was suffering academically, missing practices, etc. He may not have liked the influence of Mormons, but it had nothing to do with his reason for leaving.

Carlino's departure has everything to do with playing time and starting role. It has nothing to do with academics, or the influence of the church. "I wonder what Carlino's impressions are of byu?" Do you really? Just watch one of the many times he was interviewed. He's been extremely complimentary of the BYU, Rose, his teammates, his classmates. Instead of trying to make up what he is thinking, give me one quote where he is critical of the church, the honor code or the school. I can give you 100 quotes of what his impressions are of BYU, and they are all positive.

• Common-Tator Saint Paul, MN
    April 2, 2014 8:19 a.m.

One of Rock's better written articles, and I agree with one exception. BYU was a good fit for Matt Carlino precisely because Coach Rose would permit him to freelance on the court. There aren't many places where a Fredette or Carlino would have the green light in the same fashion Coach Rose has permitted.

However, while BYU's half-court offense is centered on hand-off, "motion" passes among the guards well away from the hoop, and especially as the clock wound down, it seemed the only offense available was the type Matt (and others) displayed. Their offense did not appear "structured" in the sense of the old Princeton back-door cut, a definable triangle offense, or old Indiana's off-the-ball pick offense. As such, BYU's offense was guard centric, but seemed to make poor use of the "bigs."

I wish Matt great luck wherever he may land. He may find his shot still won't drop more than it has without a bit more "structure", and he may not enjoy the same freedom on the court that he was given at BYU.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    April 2, 2014 8:02 a.m.

Re: Uncle Rico

"He may be playing against Jimmer in Europe in a couple years."

You might be right. I think Carlino has what it takes to play professionally. I doubt he makes $7 million dollars in his first three years playing, but it is becoming more and more common for former BYU players to make big bucks playing ball so I wouldn't put it past him. Good luck Matty basketball.

• Michael Lloyd Jr. Spanish Fork, UT
    April 1, 2014 11:04 p.m.

I have eligibility left.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    April 1, 2014 10:19 p.m.

He may be playing against Jimmer in Europe in a couple of years.

• cmsense Kaysville, UT
    April 1, 2014 10:11 p.m.

I'll miss Matt. BYU wouild be a better team if he stayed, but I guess he has itchy feet. I can't see how transferring helps his cause. He is very talented but streaky. We don't know everything, but the impression is when things don't go exactly how Matt likes he bolts.

• jsteve Herriman, UT
    April 1, 2014 8:07 p.m.

I never really trust announcements like this on April 1st, but if this is true, and we'll see tomorrow, then it will take away our most unreliable, but also one of our most potent, weapons. Carlino's explosiveness is great, though not consistent. I'm curious as to why it says he is necessarily transferring without providing a destination.

• Florwood American Fork, UT
    April 1, 2014 8:00 p.m.

Fair assessment, Brad. Good job. I'll miss Carlino, but with a sigh of relief.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    April 1, 2014 7:28 p.m.

The article is well written. The ability of Carlino to bring the game home or to blow it open for the opponents gave many of us too much uncertainty. Carlino is a class act. He never bad-mouthed others. He took criticism with courage and determination to not let it stop his wide open, little controlled game. Only the bench could stop him from wild shots. I liked Carlino for his lack of fear to attempt the big shots. I didn't like the lack of team play on the part of the entire team. Haws and Carlino are not going to look for the man open for the best shot. That isn't their style. I wish Carlino well wherever he lands. I suspect he may be like Heaps, a star that ultimately doesn't deliver for a poor team either. But I will always see Carlino as a classy guy and a good young man who will go far; likely not in basketball.

• Vegas POV Las Vegas, NV
    April 1, 2014 7:25 p.m.

Remember all that excitement of Carlino transferring From UCLA. Well just direct that excitement to the transfer of UNLV's 10th best player. Woo Hoo! Transfers seldom work out.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 1, 2014 7:23 p.m.

Weeks ago when asked if he was going to return he was non-committal. Apparently it was obvious to many he was going to leave. I don't remember which reporter asked if he was going to leave, but since its not a typical question asked to juniors it must have been well known, even if byu coaches wont admit to it. Either that or reporters knew but somehow the coaches had no clue.

Good decision by Matt - best of luck