Faith

'God's Not Dead' has successful opening weekend, ranks fifth at box office

Comments

• Hank Jr Draper, UT
    March 29, 2014 12:02 p.m.

If Atheism is a religion, then off is a TV channel.

• Hank Jr Draper, UT
    March 29, 2014 11:58 a.m.

When did God allegedly die?

• Tyler D Meridian, ID
    March 25, 2014 9:29 p.m.

@the truth – “Athiests do carry a chip on their shoulder or they would not be so vocal against religion or the religious.”

I think there’s some truth to this, but let’s look at why this might be so.

Putting aside for the moment the literally thousands of years declaring non-belief was a one way ticket to the torture chamber or the fire-pit, I think what we’re seeing in our time is largely a reaction against the rise of the Religious Right and of course 9-11.

People are simply waking up to the fact that 1st century beliefs don’t mix well with 21st century destructive technology. People are becoming genuinely worried and don’t relish the idea of being collateral damage in a fiery apocalypse religious people often seem to wish for - as a prelude to the 2nd Coming or as the cleansing of the infidels.

From this long view, pointing out that some atheists today can be vocal or even angry is a bit like being shocked and incredulous that after years of violent abuse, a battered wife starts asserting herself.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    March 25, 2014 6:58 p.m.

@John Marx

That movie has been made it is called Inherit the Wind, about the monkey trial in Tennessee.

And really anything hollywood has made that intentionally make religious people look bad including the latest movie "noah" which makes noah out as a crazed killer, rather than the normal imperfect people they really are.

• slcdenizen t-ville, UT
    March 25, 2014 4:38 p.m.

@Coach Biff

Might I recommend expanding your social circle, or perhaps cultivating environments where people are comfortable expressing themselves more fully. You might be pleasantly surprised!

• John Marx Layton, UT
    March 25, 2014 2:52 p.m.

I should give the movie a chance, but my impression from the trailer is that they create a atheist straw-man professor for the student to defeat or convert at the end. I have almost no confidence that any issue is addressed in its full complexity or handled in an ambiguous way. Because if they did, it wouldn't always be faith-affirming as is the obvious intent of the movie. Instead at one point the student accuses the professor of hating God.

Let's turn the tables. Let's say this movie was about an atheist underdog debating an Christian bully. And the movie was made primarily by atheists. Do you think Christianity would be represented fairly in such a movie? Or is it more likely they would create and defeat a caricature straw man of Christianity. Would there be any value to it?

I don't see anything compelling about watching a straw-man created and then defeated.

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    March 25, 2014 2:38 p.m.

I've never met an atheist with a positive attitude. So I guess my anecdotal evidence counters yours.

• slcdenizen t-ville, UT
    March 25, 2014 2:06 p.m.

The film seems to perpetuate the myth that atheists are angry about an injustice of some sort. The atheists I know are quite optimistic and satisfied with life, almost more so than some of my religious acquaintances who always act oppressed or targeted and thus discontent.

• AL The Younger Gilbert, AZ
    March 25, 2014 1:39 p.m.

ehh.. I would give it a 2 out of 5 stars. The death/ born again story at the end was a little over the top for me.