Opinion

W. Bradford Wilcox: Surprisingly, the real 'modern family' tilts neo-traditional

Comments

• RFLASH Salt Lake City, UT
    March 25, 2014 11:40 p.m.

You wonder why men run from some women in the singles ward? Well, they want the perfect man who makes enough money for them to stay home and still have abundance! I don't have kids, but I look around and see a lot of good families where both parents work! If they want their children to have anything, they both work. I have a hard time and I just have myself to worry about. I don't see it getting better!

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 24, 2014 6:36 p.m.

@liberal today
    please do quote for us exactly were he said any of those things.

• Liberal Today Murray, UT
    March 24, 2014 8:04 a.m.

How dare he suggest that having children born of married women is normal, and that it is good to have a parent, maybe even the one equipped to nurse a new baby, be able to stay home and care for and raise it.

Preposterous!

• freedomingood provo, Utah
    March 23, 2014 4:59 p.m.

You realize the show is a social satire right?

• Mary S Lethbridge, Alberta
    March 23, 2014 3:46 p.m.

This research looks pretty one sided as it focuses only on married heterosexual families, seeming to ignore single parent families, or same sex parent families or families where grandparents are the primary caregivers of young children. It also ignores the fact that though fathers are helping out more than in the 1950s, mothers are still doing the bulk of the housekeeping and cooking ALONG with working a job and caring for children.

• Stalwart Sentinel San Jose, CA
    March 23, 2014 10:42 a.m.

Wait, so married couples who have kids tend to have somewhat traditional gender roles? Amazing input!

I wonder why, say, single mothers don't feature in this article; are they not a family? Seems to me the nearly 100% in every category for the single mother may skew the romanticizing that is going on in this article's findings.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    March 23, 2014 12:15 a.m.

There's a big space for same sex parented families, too.