Utah

Man arrested in BYU sexual assault incident, but groper still at large

Comments

• LJohnson Los Angeles, CA
    March 27, 2014 11:44 a.m.

Our daughter tried to sign-up for one of BYU's self-defense classes this semester, but they were full with a waiting list a mile long. Funny, since BYU dropped Fitness for Life & other PE requirements, it doesn't seem to spend adequate time or money on its Physical Education classes. Isn't the Majority of our country Obese or Morbidly Obese?? Wonder why....

• LJohnson Los Angeles, CA
    March 27, 2014 11:39 a.m.

I seriously believe that BYU should have womens self-defense/ martial arts training in the quad- boot camp-style. The show of force in Numbers would be Amazing! Also, pepper stray should be available FREE to all co-eds Now, not tomorrow. This has been going on for months!!

• LJohnson Los Angeles, CA
    March 27, 2014 11:36 a.m.

This has been going on for months. It's a race- Will BYU find the Groper 1st or will 'authorities' find Flight 377 before the Groper's stopped? The Suspense is killing me.

• Brian Wasilla, AK
    March 22, 2014 7:10 p.m.

Take a drive north to BYU Idaho and walk around their campus. They seem to have worked hard to create a beautiful and safe environment for their students.

• BYU Joe MISSION VIEJO, CA
    March 22, 2014 5:39 p.m.

How can Chris B be on every comment board - ever. The man must be more than one man. But he is right the fence idea is silly.

Unless you build a single fence and put the "groper" inside - but I think they call that a jail.

• bigv56 Cottonwood, CA
    March 22, 2014 3:58 p.m.

No matter what or when there always seems to be a Chester the molester around byu. Girls need to be careful and learn to protect themselves . Chester needs some old fashioned justice when caught

• Wonder Provo, UT
    March 22, 2014 10:03 a.m.

I Know It: I seriously doubt that BYU allows students to carry weapons on campus.

• Martin Handcart Descendant Azusa, CA
    March 22, 2014 9:49 a.m.

Compliments to the great work done by the police department! I hope the judge will prosecute the abusers and put them away for a very, very long time and keep the criminals off campus and out of the community.

• Kav Boise, ID
    March 21, 2014 9:41 p.m.

I think that I know it. I live it. I love it. has the right idea. Teach your daughters to protect themselves. That's what I'm doing.

• RRB SLC, UT
    March 21, 2014 3:34 p.m.

The heavy vegetation there gives cover to anyone wanting to do something out of the public eye. BYU needs to remove some of the vegetation and make it easier to see and be seen. The vegetation does not cause the problem, but it does provide cover for it.

The problem has existed for decades, it's time BYU took steps to lessen the problem.

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    March 21, 2014 2:49 p.m.

I Know, et al:

I think having a 3-4 foot fence would deter evil doers from dragging BYU coeds off the Walk way to upper campus to a secluded spot. It's a public safety issue. Having a daughter, I'd like to make it difficult for some opportunist punk and give pause to one who wants to do evil. There may be one there now. Anybody care to confirm?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 21, 2014 2:29 p.m.

byutrackstar,

Did you really just propose fences be put up around any bush anywhere?

After all, just because this groper is roaming byu doesn't mean the next groper will be. So shouldn't we fence off all shrubbery everywhere so they can't hide in said shrubbery?

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Provo, UT
    March 21, 2014 1:12 p.m.

BYU Track Star,

You really think a fence will stop someone? Even if it could, once you turn 18 you are a responsible adult. You don't need your workplace and school to put up fences to make a walk-way safer. Get a gun, get spray, or hide in a hermit hut in the middle of nowhere.

Any amount of blame at BYU is irrational... to the point of being absurd. Blame the groper for HIS actions, not everyone else for not taking actions that wouldn't really solve anything.

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    March 21, 2014 12:51 p.m.

This problem has been endemic since at least the early 70s. Did BYU ever put up a Fence up to separate Lower Campus walk way up to main campus along where the bushes are? What is it with these guys? I'm glad the Ladies fought back.

• future professor MECHANICSVILLE, VA
    March 21, 2014 11:38 a.m.

"suspect was clean shaven" At least we know he is shaving, right? Cause that isn't likely to change overnight or anything.