Sports

BYU basketball: Oregon drives past Cougars, 87-68, for NCAA tournament win

Comments

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    March 21, 2014 8:50 p.m.

Cougsndawgs,

"I didn't bring every game earlier in the year because I was addressing the recent smack talk between both fanbases this last week. If you want to bring the whole season into it we could go all kinds of places like the fact BYU beat Stanford on the road and U didn't, the fact Utah beat BYU by 17 despite BYU fans disrespect, the fact that CBs analysis of BYUs PAC12 record only involves 3 teams ALL of which BYU played on the road or a neutral court (where Utah has been dismal all year). I mean we could go back and forth about the whole smack talking season til we're blue (or red) in the face."

Way to sneak a dig in at Utah on your response. If you want me to refer to this article and sneak a jab in like you did how's this? BYU extended it's NCAA record of appearances in the NCAA Tournament without reaching the Final Four to 28. Or, BYU has one more NCAA Tournament appearance than Utah, yet the Utes have 20 more NCAA Tournament victories than the Cougars.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    March 21, 2014 7:55 p.m.

Utesby5 & U90:
    I didn't bring every game earlier in the year because I was addressing the recent smack talk between both fanbases this last week. If you want to bring the whole season into it we could go all kinds of places like the fact BYU beat Stanford on the road and U didn't, the fact Utah beat BYU by 17 despite BYU fans disrespect, the fact that CBs analysis of BYUs PAC12 record only involves 3 teams ALL of which BYU played on the road or a neutral court (where Utah has been dismal all year). I mean we could go back and forth about the whole smack talking season til we're blue (or red) in the face. I thought the discussion was the articles on Tuesday and Thursday and the associated vitriol of both fanbases.

I was also not implying that one fanbase is generally worse than the other. They're both obnoxious at times. My only point was all the trash talking this week and the difference between ute fans not respecting their opponent, while BYU fans did. If you're talking the whole season, then I agree BYU can be just as disrespectful.

March 21, 2014 3:25 p.m.

Cougsndawgs,

Thanks for the outlook on next season. Best wishes!

March 21, 2014 3:23 p.m.

@Cougsndawgs "Apparently you didn't understand that we're talking about the tournament games"

I understand completely Cougsndawgs. You pointed out that Utah fans disrespected St. Mary's and then lost the game during the tournament. How is that any different than BYU fans disrespecting Utah and then losing to them during a non-conference game?

Is it somehow more ethical to smack talk during non-conference games than during tournament games? Why narrow your scope on this subject to just when Utah does it during a tournament game and not consider that BYU fans did the same thing a few months earlier? Hypocrisy perhaps? Face it, the trash talk between Utah and BYU fans is all the same. Don’t try to portray BYU fan smack talk as somehow being on a higher and more respectable level.

By the way, you didn't hurt my feelings so there's no need to apologize. I'm having a great time living on the Cougar boards today the same way you live on Utah boards every day. Karma can be so cruel.

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    March 21, 2014 3:12 p.m.

Cougsndawgs,

I believe U90 was trying to say exactly what you posted in your response to him: "Lets not kid ourselves, both fanbases can be ridiculous and classless at times."

There is equal taunting before and after games from both fan bases and lots of arrogance to go around as well. To say one fan base is worse than the other can obviously be disproven on these threads.

BYU would have performed better with Collinsworth. Would they have won? Who knows?

You pointed out that Utah lost by 12 to St. Mary's, a game that Utah dominated most of the way then fell apart at the end of the game (which has happened all year). Utah was probably the better team but fell apart, again. It kind of feels like Whittingham takes over at the end of Utah games and starts to play not to lose instead of keeping the foot on the gas pedal, like in football.

Neither team is very good but they have some very talented players coming in next season.

Good luck to both the Cougars and the Utes.

• 4blade2007 Provo, Utah
    March 21, 2014 2:39 p.m.

@ sportsfanfor
    sportsfanforlife

salt lake city, UT

hahahaha hoe embarrassing! that just goes to show byu would have absolutely no chance in the pac. None. The same with Utah losing to St. Mary - HOW embarrassing mighty PAC 12 !!!!!

I call it a draw!!!! Both BYU and Utah underachieved. No need to gloat about conference affiliation let each team stand on their own merit

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    March 21, 2014 2:05 p.m.

U90:
    Now to answer your above question...it's a good question. We don't know if TJ Haws or Dalstrup will play next year or go on missions. That's one of the frustrations of being a BYU fan. I love the missionary program but it's frustrating getting great recruits two years in a row but having to wait and wonder when they will all be on the court at the same time.

Btw I like most of your posts and comments, so like you I enjoy the discussions and it's entertaining regardless who you cheer for. Hopefully no one takes any of it too seriously. Cheers

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    March 21, 2014 1:56 p.m.

U90:
    Apparently you didn't understand that we're talking about the tournament games. You know Utah vs St Mary's where y'all were beating your chests about how much better U were, and how much greater your conference is, etc. I'm sorry BYU fans were classless before the Utah game and hurt your feelings, but that's not what we were discussing here...you're a few months behind the issues here. I was referring to tournament play not BYU vs Utah four months ago.

Lets not kid ourselves, both fanbases can be ridiculous and classless at times. The discussion was about ute fans whining about BYU fans piling on after the St Mary's game, and then piling on BYU fans after the Oregon game to get even. BYU vs Utah was never brought up in my post, and making a Strawman argument by changing the subject of debate for you to refute is indeed weak sauce.

• jasonlivy Orem, UT
    March 21, 2014 12:59 p.m.

I wish someone would ask Coach Rose what his plan is to have BYU be a respectable shooting team starting tomorrow? I would go even further and ask what his plan is to become one of the best free throw and shooting teams in the nation? This is something BYU can do depending on their commitment in the off-season.

If BYU wants to contend on a national stage, they have to be a more consistent shooting team. They will never get anywhere shooting as poorly as they have this season.

BYU will never win the recruiting battle. They aren't going to the inner cities to find players who are freaks of nature but can't make it scholastically like a lot of schools do. One reason why I love BYU is that they truly represent the student body. However BYU can, and must, shoot the ball better. To be specific, I'm tired of wondering whether Carlino is going to be the reason why we lose or why we win. He is dramatically inconsistent and it drives me crazy! To be honest I'll be grateful when he's gone...

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    March 21, 2014 11:41 a.m.

ekute,

Just making my observations about the games and responding to the attitudes I see from some of the commentors. I am having fun or I wouldn't be participating.

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 21, 2014 11:04 a.m.

Mormon Ute,
    Games were lost but nobody around here is down or trending down. I don't know if your lecturing or just trying to make friends. Just have fun man.

• cougs108 South Jordan, UT
    March 21, 2014 10:29 a.m.

Great season BYU. Kind of interesting...We lose to Utah...we beat ST. Mary's twice...Utah loses to St. Mary's. Great season for both schools. Good luck next season!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    March 21, 2014 10:23 a.m.

Trash talking or ribbing, either term you use for it kicking an opponent while they're down is poor sportsmanship.

• babyR Salt Lake, UT
    March 21, 2014 10:10 a.m.

My true blue is fading to light blue. Not because I don't like the Cougs, rather, because they frustrate me to the point I have to leave watching the game (Oregon). Come on, Lone Peak could beat them at this point--oh, I forgot, half of the team (over stated) is former Lone Peak players. Maybe Timpview would be a better recruiting spot. I can't remember watching a more inconsistent team! But, even so, they are my team, still. Um, maybe next year?

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    March 21, 2014 10:01 a.m.

u 90
    "Bottom line, we own you.... 81-64, 20-13 and 38-6 in the Deseret Duel."

Mediocre/weak programs like yours don't own anybody. Oh, wait....unless you want to admit that St. Mary's [70-58] owns the U of U.

March 21, 2014 9:50 a.m.

Souptwins,

All ribbing aside, I have a question for you or any Cougar fan. Who will be leaving the BYU program and who will be new next year. I'm not familiar with what the prognosis is for next season with all the departing/returning missionaries etc.

March 21, 2014 9:43 a.m.

@BYU9293 "Cougsndawgs, great comment and I agree with you. There is a difference in trashing your opponent and respecting them and too many Ute fans don't understand that"

I suppose you're suggesting BYU fans respect Utah and never trash talk against them or the PAC12. You guys are just hilarious on this thread. Please keep posting.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    March 21, 2014 9:37 a.m.

Simple facts:
    1. Coach Rose and Coach K did a great job getting their teams to achieve what they did.
    2. Neither the Y or the U have sufficient talent to compete on the big stage yet. They have two or three talented players, but only average beyond that.
    3. If the Y had been in the PAC 12, they probably would not have enjoyed any more success than the U did.
    4. If the U had been in the WCC, they probably would not have enjoyed any more success than the Y did.
    5. Until you have talent and depth, it doesn't matter what conference you play in, especially when the big dance starts.
    6. Rants by Y and U fans on the comments page are meaningless and do not prove anything except the level of maturity of the writer.

March 21, 2014 9:31 a.m.

@Weber State Graduate "Utah validated the skeptics – they didn't belong in the NIT tournament. What a mediocre program. Geez"

You may be right WS Grad, but what does that say about a team that gets pounded by Utah by 17? Not to mention a double digit loss to Loyola Mary as well as ugly losses Pepperdine, Portland State and Pacific? Terriffic

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    March 21, 2014 9:30 a.m.

I have a couple of observations. First, thank you my fellow Utes for showing far more class than the Cougar fans did when our team lost. They totally beat us up in the comments pushing the total over 300.

Second, I agree with Duckhunter. BYU doesn't play consistently good defense. In some games they have shown the ability to play defense, but they don't do it consistently from game to game. That's a coaching issue that Dave Rose needs to address in order for BYU to advance any further than the first round of the Big Dance.

March 21, 2014 9:27 a.m.

@CBAX "Ute Fans! It's not your team!"

Well it may not be the team we cheer for, but it is the team we own.

March 21, 2014 9:25 a.m.

@Cougsndawgs "It's obvious to me that Utah fans don't see the difference between the ribbing BYU fans gave them vs coming on here to trash BYU fans. BYU fans weren't talking trash about beating Oregon. BYU respected Oregon.... Utah fans on the other hand were trash talking the WCC, trash talking st Mary's and their gym.

You're kidding right CougsnDawgs? Are you saying Y fans never trash talked before the Utah/BYU game about how the Cougars were superior and Utah was a bottom dweller and all we had we're PAC12 stickers. And then Utah proceeds to blow BYU off the floor handing them their worse loss of the season until Oregon beat you silly by 19. No CougsnDawgs, I don't see any difference between how Utah fans rib BYU and vice versa. Your argument is weak sauce.

Hey, where did all the BYU fans go anyway? It's like a morgue in here and there is so much to talk about. You were all so talkative Tuesday night. What happened?

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    March 21, 2014 9:10 a.m.

BYU has GOT to get an assistant coach that specializes in defense. Nearly every player on BYU's roster is athletic enough to play good D if coached to do so. With the terrific talent coming into the program, there must be a young defensively minded coach looking to make a name for himself. This would be a great opportunity for such a person. PLEASE BYU-- find that guy!! To those dissing on BYU-- Oregon is a good team and was the higher seed for a reason. They held serve which is nothing for BYU to be ashamed of but BYU still needs to be looking at how to improve. To the BYU fans-- I realize there's a difference between an excuse and an explanation. Not having Collinsworth is certainly an explanation for the margin of victory but we need to face the fact that BYU would have most likely lost even with him. We BYU fans have a lot to be hopeful about for future seasons but we still have to look to improve defensively or all that talent won't get a whole lot further than this year.

March 21, 2014 9:08 a.m.

@Uteology "Utah is doing better in the PAC-12 than (CougarSunDevil's) 2nd team (BYU)"

Yes, there is plenty of data to support that:

In football Utah was only .222 (2-7) in the PAC12, however BYU was even worse .000 (0-2)

In basketball, Utah was .500 (9-9), again BYU was much worse .250 (1-3)

• Where is Hadley? Salt Lake, UT
    March 21, 2014 8:55 a.m.

@byu9293

"Personally, I would never trash a smaller conference and their programs because of the size of their arenas/gyms, just bad taste"

That's because you ARE a small conference. No one is going to trash themselves and make fun of their own conference.

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 21, 2014 8:21 a.m.

Cougsndawgs,
    That's a spin on knowing that your going to lose.

• BYU9293 Clinton, UT
    March 21, 2014 8:01 a.m.

Cougsndawgs, great comment and I agree with you. There is a difference in trashing your opponent and respecting them and too many Ute fans don't understand that. Personally, I would never trash a smaller conference and their programs because of the size of their arenas/gyms, just bad taste. So when anyone does that and then gets beat by those teams, it is a good thing. Class is showing respect for your opponent, regardless. As I wrote before, I thought Utah would win and they dominated for 30 minutes. I was disappointed they lost. I had thought byu would lose without Collinsworth, but still a success to get there. Also, 9 20 win seasons is success, period. I don't care if you never won an NCAA tourney game, if you have 9 straight 20 win seasons, you are successful.

• BYU9293 Clinton, UT
    March 21, 2014 7:46 a.m.

Tough game but not totally unexpected. With the loss of Collinsworth, which hurt the cougs much more than most realize, it came down to Carlino. He had to have a good day for us to have a chance against anyone, regardless of opponent and he did not. We cannot rely on him. Carlino is a bench player at best, just too erratic. Also, Oregon just outplayed us today. It was a good job making the tournament but I would like to have seen us play at full strength. With Collinsworth and on a neutral floor, I think we should have beaten this team. But without him, I knew we had little chance.

• Weber State Graduate Clearfield, UT
    March 21, 2014 7:04 a.m.

Utah validated the skeptics – they didn't belong in the NIT tournament. What a mediocre program. Geez – Utah athletics is terrible anymore as perennial cellar dwellers in the PAC in all sports.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 21, 2014 6:55 a.m.

@sammyg

Well that was kind of expected. Might have been different with Kyle but it was just not meant to be.

But it was a far cry from what happened when St. Mary's whooped up Utah in a 'high school gym'!

-------------

More moral victories... Rise and Pout!

The difference was Oregon was in control the ENTIRE game.

• Mikhail ALPINE, UT
    March 21, 2014 6:36 a.m.

Disappointing…

• Proud Ute ,
    March 21, 2014 6:03 a.m.

Looks like DN changed the title from "routs" to "drives past".
    Just got to coddle your cougars don't you?

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    March 21, 2014 5:26 a.m.

One possible game every year puts a smile on my face. BUY losing in the tournament.
    They don't lose because they they're not in shape, or have a bad coach, or don't practice enough, etc. etc. They lose because it's rare that they have the mental toughness to run with the big boys. When you put team chemistry together with that mental toughness you get great teams. Without it, it's just another group of kids running around in shorts and sweating a lot.
    May be next year.

• CBAX Provo, UT
    March 21, 2014 4:43 a.m.

Ute Fans! It's not your team!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    March 21, 2014 2:35 a.m.

It's obvious to me that Utah fans don't see the difference between the ribbing BYU fans gave them vs coming on here to trash BYU fans. Let me point the difference out for U. BYU fans weren't talking trash about beating Oregon. BYU respected Oregon and knew this game was a long shot to win (I only had BYU winning in one of my ten brackets). Utah fans on the other hand were trash talking the WCC, trash talking st Mary's and their gym, and talking about how they were easily going to beat the Gaels. Instead U lost by double digits. See the difference? Primadona syndrome vs respect for your opponent. Everyone loves to see an arrogant self promotional individual get pasted and humbly put in their place.

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    March 21, 2014 1:21 a.m.

Tough loss for BYU. Losing Collinsworth was a huge blow to the Cougars.

The trash talking from both fan bases is ridiculous. It's time to support all schools from our state.

I agree with Duckhunter, BYU needs to improve their defense to get to the next level. Rose has a great class coming in next year so the talent will be there if they can get a little better on the defensive end.

Utah has made good progress over last year but has to learn how to keep a lead and not panic when teams begin to chip away at their leads. Utah also has a great class coming in next year and should continue to improve.

I wish the DN would eliminate the trash talking from both fan bases. While some friendly banter is fun, most of the comments from BYU fans on the Utah loss to St. Mary's and the Utah fans comments on BYU's loss to Oregon are way over the top and should be disallowed.

Good luck to all Utah schools going forward.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    March 20, 2014 11:54 p.m.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    March 20, 2014 11:19 p.m.

I didn't see this coming, and BYU ducked a victory.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    March 20, 2014 11:18 p.m.

Cupcake power from a cupcake conference!

North Dakota beats Oklahoma.

• caleb in new york Glen Cove, NY
    March 20, 2014 11:02 p.m.

nice season for BYU. would have been fun to go further but the season ends with a loss for almost every team and many of the 300 or so teams that didn't make it to the Big Dance would love to trade places with BYU. It was nice that they they made at least one run at it in the second half but it was clear from the beginning that Oregon was the better team. It was fun to follow the Cougs this year and make it onto the big stage.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    March 20, 2014 10:44 p.m.

Oregon is good - almost as good as Saint Marys.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 20, 2014 10:13 p.m.

I love my WCC membership!

Thanks to Coach Rose, the team and staff for another enjoyable season of Cougar basketball!
    And that's how we roll in Provo.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    March 20, 2014 9:50 p.m.

BYU validates the skeptics - they didn't belong in the NCAA tournament. What a mediocre program. Geez - BYU athletics is terrible anymore in all sports.

• River Coug Fort Mohave, AZ
    March 20, 2014 9:41 p.m.

Fair enough. Obviously, I wish we did better in the dance. I think next year is shaping up for a potentially better year for both teams.

• OremFootballFan Orem, UT
    March 20, 2014 9:38 p.m.

Another 20-point loss to a PAC-12 Team for the Cougs. I don't think the result was a surprise to anybody...

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    March 20, 2014 9:29 p.m.

Gone fishin
    PAC Country, CA
    Would this be the same power conference that just got blown off the court by Pittsburg?

__________

It appears that several BYU fans can't tell who played Pitt today. The PAC 12 or Colorado? Last time I checked, a conference does not play against a team.

How ironic you bash the PAC 12 when BYU just lost to Oregon. If you can't join them, bash them. Its the Cougar fan way.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    March 20, 2014 9:06 p.m.

Well, an at-large bid and first-round exit was about the ceiling for this group. Not a failed season; just another "meh" year.

And the bright side: Only one more year of The Matty Bricks Experience! Rims across the WCC will breathe a sigh of relief when he uses up his eligibility. CLANG! CLANG! CLANG!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    March 20, 2014 8:06 p.m.

Thought we were going to pull off the upset when to closed to within 3 in the 2nd half, but it was not to be.

No excuses about refs or weather or most of the other factors Utes claimed. But for the Utes who said Collinsworth's absence was not a factor don't know basketball. Not saying we would have won, but I am saying it would have been a different game, a much different game. Take one of the two best players off any NCAA team or NBA team, and they are a different team.

Ah well, better to lose in the first round of the NCAA than to lose in the first round of the NIT.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 20, 2014 8:04 p.m.

@CougarSunDevil

My bad, I wasn't aware you needed a scientific study nor was it attend to be one.

The sample size I provided (4 PAC-12 games) is more accurate than the sample size (2 WCC games) Cougar Nation was providing on the Utah article two days ago to mock Utah's loss to a WCC team. I don't recall you having issues with their degree of error.

We can only assume on how BYU would do. In P12 play Utah had only 2 loses on the road to teams above RPI of 100, BYU had 4 including a thumping at LMU in WCC.

So if your going to mock Utah's PAC-12 success you might want to look in the mirror.

@River Coug

All I am saying is I would take Utah's NIT loss since they are rebuilding and its our first postseason in 2012. BYU has been hands down the better program in the last decade and you have owned us during that period. But IMO 3-7 in the dance with 9 20+ seasons is not success. I would think you would expect more from you team as well.

March 20, 2014 7:32 p.m.

No problem CSD, you didn't hut my feelings. In fact I'm having more fun than I care to admit.

You did change the narrative. We were talking about this season and you changed the discussion to the last 5 seasons.

Bottom line, we own you.... 81-64, 20-13 and 38-6 in the Deseret Duel.

Admit you're obsessed with all things from the state of Utah and you can't help yourself on these boards, isn't life great!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    March 20, 2014 7:17 p.m.

Karma!

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    March 20, 2014 7:11 p.m.

U90

"...who said all things from the inferior state of Utah were below people from Arizona? Why are you still here on all the Utah & BYU stories?"

In so many words, yes. But I suppose it's the same reason why some BYU fans can't leave Utah articles alone, Sometimes big brother needs to rub it in.

"@CougarSunDevil "How many times did BYU lose by 17 to Utah? In the last 5 years? once. How many times has Utah lost to BYU in the last 5 years?"

In football, once. See, I can change the narrative just like you did."

I didn't change the narrative. I only quantified our discussion so I didn't have to back into all the record books dating back to the early 1900's to give you a definite answer. You changed the narrative by switching from Basketball to Football. Sorry if that hurt your feelings. No offense was intended.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 20, 2014 7:09 p.m.

@CougarSunDevil
    Phoenix, AZ

Uteology,

"How we do in the PAC-12 has nothing to do with "some" fans"

But coaches understand that fan bases and boosters place importance on specific games. BYU is that to Utah. Any other belief suggests the individual is only kidding themselves. Maybe over time it won't matter as much, but as of today, it's a big deal.

-----------

Again...

* Kyle Wittingham is not on the hot seat for not being able to beat BYU.
    * The boosters and fan base put so much importance on the BYU game that we canceled the game.
    * The game means so much to our players that we labeled it our "Super Bowl".

But if it makes you feel special, then by all means go with it.

As far as basketball, I agree the first step was to be able to beat/compete against BYU. Check. Next was to show progress in the PAC-12. Check.

You seem to think our basketball defines success as wins over BYU. Sorry, the fact is BYU’s basketball has been just a speed bump to us through most of our history. Excluding the last 9 years obviously, where BYU has been the better program.

March 20, 2014 7:08 p.m.

@International Cougar Fan "It must be rough being a ute fan"

We're doing okay, see 81-64 and 20-13. Deseret Duel 38-6 for Utah. We own you.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    March 20, 2014 7:04 p.m.

From a UTAH fan...

I watched the game.

I kept waiting for BYU to make a run...

There were spurts...there was effort...but no sustained run.

The injury to Collingsworth seemed to have a greater impact than anticipated.

Thanks to Coach Rose, staff and BYU players for an enjoyable, entertaining year.

• River Coug Fort Mohave, AZ
    March 20, 2014 7:03 p.m.

Uteology
    I'm not sure how you classify the U's worst decade, but in the last ten years, you've made two NCAA appearances. In the last ten years, BYU has made seven. Going back to 1969, BYU doesn't have a ten yer span in which it made only two NCAA appearances. Btw, I appreciate your respectful tone.

• River Coug Fort Mohave, AZ
    March 20, 2014 6:48 p.m.

Uteology

You didn't answer my question. As a Ute fan, would you have rather lost in the first round of the NIT or the first round of the NCAA tournament? It's a pretty simple question. As a Cougar fan, I know what my answer is. So, what is your answer to my question?

March 20, 2014 6:26 p.m.

In football, once. See, I can change the narrative just like you did.

By the way CSD, wasn't it you who said all things from the inferior state of Utah were below people from Arizona? Why are you still here on all the Utah & BYU stories?

• Adirondack Cougar Loon Lake, NY
    March 20, 2014 6:26 p.m.

Definitely missed CK today but Bartley showed signs of some good things to come. Anyone know who is coming back next year and what the projected starting five will be?

• G-Day-M8 WVC, UT
    March 20, 2014 6:26 p.m.

College athletics is the best! High School a close second. The kids play their hearts out and the amateur aspect is special. Thank you NCAA, WCC & PAC 12, Oregon Ducks & BYU Cougars.

Ducks are the better team today, no doubt bout it. We missed Collinsworth for sure but that's just part of the game. BYU's bench was shallow, Ducks bench was deep.

I'm really impressed with the class of the Ducks team as they backed off the pressure when the game was in hand.

A lot has been said by the trolls but your have to consider the source of commenters.This was a down year for sure but the future looks very bright for BYU.

A proud BYU Cougar fan.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    March 20, 2014 6:04 p.m.

LeftCoastUte

"Eight games in and my bracket is perfect! Warren Buffett get ready to write me a billion dollar check!"

Congrats, but be careful. That means you picked against a team in the mighty PAC-12 (Colorado). Some Ute fans cheer for their conference above all else. Ute fans might kick you out of the inner circle.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 20, 2014 6:04 p.m.

River Coug
    Fort Mohave, AZ

Utah "fans"--The season really comes down to one simple question: Would you rather lose ugly in the first round of the NIT or the first round of the NCAA tournament? I 100% guarantee that not one Utah fan will say it's better to have lost in the first round of the NIT. Game, set, match, Cougars! Go ahead Utah fans, prove me wrong, and make my day. Lol indeed!

-----------

It's better to have lost in the first round of the NIT for a program that is in the process of rebuilding then to just have completed NINE straight 20+ win seasons and only have One sweet 16 and One Round of 32 (3-7) to show for it.

That's success? That almost matches are worst decade (2-2 with one Sweet 16).

• William Wallace OGDEN, UT
    March 20, 2014 6:02 p.m.

I guess what I would say now, is neither BYU or Utah were as good as we wanted this year. Hey DavisCoug, Ute fans aren't the only "classy" people who post. Many BYU trolls always lurking about. As I've said many times on here, just go cheer for your own team, if you have to be way negative. Otherwise, keep the comments civil and on topic. BYU doesn't seem to have a style of play that leads to success in the tournament. Utah is still a ways from being there, but I do think they're closer to NCAA success than BYU. The Utes do need to get there first. I do know that. Go Wildcats, and no, not Arizona.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    March 20, 2014 6:01 p.m.

Uteology,

"How we do in the PAC-12 has nothing to do with "some" fans"

"Utah is doing better in the PAC-12 than your 2nd team:

* BYU is 1-3 (25%) vs PAC-12 road/neutral games
    * Utah is 3-8 (27%)"

Since you wanted to bring in some statistics, then I'd have to say your sample sizes are skewed, and therefore your percentages have a large degree of error. Not to mention the non-mathematical advantage Utah has in having a higher probability of playing some of those road wins at home first, before having to travel on the road. Sorry. Statistically speaking, it's apples and egg plant. I would agree though, taking your percentages at face value, that both Utah teams stink against the PAC-12. Sad day in the state of Utah.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    March 20, 2014 6:00 p.m.

"* BYU is 1-3 (25%) vs PAC-12 road/neutral games
    * Utah is 3-8 (27%)"

BYU played Oregon twice (road/neutral)
    BYU played Stanford on the road.
    BYU played Utah on the road.

All three teams went to a post-season tournament.

Utah's 3 wins were against USC (road), Cal (road), and Washinton (neutral). One of those teams played in a post-season tournament, and they got beat up worse than Oregon beat up BYU.

Are you really going to try and brag about that? Especially when, statistically, there is absolutely no difference in winning percentage? Really?

• Frankenberry Saint George, UT
    March 20, 2014 5:57 p.m.

Perhaps the PAC 12 isn't QUITE as over-rated as some have suggested. Just saying . . .

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    March 20, 2014 5:55 p.m.

U90

"You didn't really just say that did you? How many times did BYU lose by 17 to Utah?"

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    March 20, 2014 5:54 p.m.

Oregon is a 7. BYU is a 10. BYU was expected to lose. I'm not embarrassed or ashamed of that. Am I disappointed they couldn't buy a bucket and keep the game closer? Sure I am. Am I disappointed they couldn't pull off the upset? A little.

Do Utah "fans" have any standing to rub it in?

Yes, that last one is a rhetorical question. We all know that answer.

Good season. As others have said, not great, but good. Glad to see them back in the NCAA Tournament. And Congratulations to Oregon for playing a great game.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    March 20, 2014 5:49 p.m.

BYU wasn't "way too high of a seed". They just didn't play well. Carlino was a big reason they couldn't get into an offensive rhythm. I wasn't able to get to the game until about 12 minutes left in the 2nd half (and then only on the radio). After listening for 4 minutes, I had heard Carlino jack up several shots without every trying to pass, and Haws only touched the ball once in that time. How do you go 4 minutes with your best scorer only touching the ball once?

Carlino shot 25%. That's it. He obviously didn't know it was time to stop throwing them up and try to get somebody else an open look. Several other players had decent shooting percentages. But, Carlino thinks he has to force it up all the time.

BYU shot themselves out of the game. When they are off, instead of trying something different, they just continue to throw up a hope and a prayer.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    March 20, 2014 5:46 p.m.

Well, the gloating didn't last very long. Oregon barely broke a sweat in putting away the WCC number two team.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    March 20, 2014 5:40 p.m.

Well, I thought that BYU could sneak this one on emotional intensity. But kudos to Oregon. They're a better team this year.

Before BYU fans call for firing Rose, there are 282 Div I teams that did not make the NCAAs. Before Rose, BYU hoops was a non-entity.

They were close to being a very good team this year, but I think they reached their potential. Certainly did a lot better than my alma mater, Washington. But then UW is seldom good at hoops. Football either, lately. Thank goodness I have BYU to root for.

As for the PAC-12 smak from you-know-who, maybe UCLA or Arizona will get to the sweet 16. I don't see them any higher than that. Tough to be number 1 out of 346 teams.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 20, 2014 5:31 p.m.

@CougarSunDevil

-------------

How we do in the PAC-12 has nothing to do with "some" fans, it has more to do with talent and coaching. I like were both are trending.

But I think even you would agree that, as of today, Utah is doing better in the PAC-12 than your 2nd team:

* BYU is 1-3 (25%) vs PAC-12 road/neutral games
    * Utah is 3-8 (27%)

• LeftCoastUte DANVILLE, CA
    March 20, 2014 5:28 p.m.

March 20, 2014 5:28 p.m.

@Kaladin "How many times did the U beat Oregon this season? How many times did the U beat Saint Mary's?"

• River Coug Fort Mohave, AZ
    March 20, 2014 5:22 p.m.

• Big R Danville, CA
    March 20, 2014 5:21 p.m.

After reading all of the immature trash talk by both BYU and Utah fans over and over on every sports article in the DN, you have to look at the postseason of all universities in the state of Utah and realize that the state of Utah just isn't very good in basketball, right? You all need to root for each other before the entire state becomes a national basketball joke....how bout them Jazz?

• IA Cougar West Des Moines, IA
    March 20, 2014 5:09 p.m.

Nice season for BYU. Good but not great. BYU will always be a classy team and that's why I will always be a Cougar fan. The majority of BYU fans are that way. I wish it were all BYU fans but that's not reality, sadly. Some think they know more than those who do know and that gets exhausting.

As for other school's fans who love to continuously disparage BYU? I suppose whatever turns your crank. It's a sad existence to throw negativity wherever you go. I suppose if it's therapeutic for you, then it's a good thing. I think it's tasteless drivel that establishes your lack of credibility. For the Deseret News monitors, it also makes reading comments a worthless activity when it's more negative than positive. Free speech is good but tiring for those who like a healthy and respectful dialogue between fans.

I continue to wish well to the Utah schools, all of them. They are great institutions with great coaches and players. The fans are great as well, with notable exceptions found in this comment board today.

• zachbrwn new york, NY
    March 20, 2014 4:59 p.m.

Boy I was hoping BYU could pull this one off, there goes my billion dollars. What really upset me is that the national media was right about BYU. I hate that the most..

• morganh Orem, Utah
    March 20, 2014 4:58 p.m.

Thanks Ute trolls for your continuing comments about how good the Pac-12 is when your own team who is also in the PAC-12 loses to a WCC team that B.Y.U. did beat twice. Today we lost to an Oregon team that looks similar to its pre-season form. We will see if they are able to knock off Wisconsin. The Way I see it is that the PAC-12 is just the PAC-12. They aren't special they aren't elite. I am still proud of my Cougars for making the tournament this year and look forward to next year.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 20, 2014 4:46 p.m.

BYU is a bad defensive team. Dave Rose needs to spend some time this off season figuring out how to coach a team to play defense. It is fun to watch a team run and score but they have to get a few stops as well.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    March 20, 2014 4:46 p.m.

Can't see how the acceptance of the invitation, after Collinsworth went down, helped BYU in any way. I can see how it hurt.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    March 20, 2014 4:43 p.m.

I'm a Cougar fan but they looked horrible. Way too high of a seed. Carlino is a huge liability on defense and takes terrible shots.
    BYU is not tough enough. A summer in the weight room would serve them well.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    March 20, 2014 4:39 p.m.

A good, but "not quite" season ends.

I hope Oregon does well going forward in this tournament.

Time to prep for 2014-1015 which should be a great season for BYU.

• altahoops Provo, UT
    March 20, 2014 4:34 p.m.

At least the Cougar fans are smart enough not to run their mouths at half time.

I think we all knew it would take a big effort by everyone without Kyle Collinsworth. That didn't happen. No one really stepped up at all. What happened to Halford? That guy was money when he was still hungry for playing time. I don't think he's hit a shot in tournament play, has he? Matty Basketball was average or below. But what I think really hurts the Cougars the most is that lazy zone they play, and Rose won't give it up. Every team we've played knows they can pass quickly around the perimeter and they can wear the Cougars out by making them run for their lives to try and cover. Note to Rose: THAT PATHETIC ZONE HASN'T WORKED ALL SEASON. TRY SOMETHING ELSE.

That said, it was a good season. Not great, but good. Nice to play in the big dance, even if it is just one game.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2014 4:27 p.m.

Not so Smart
    Cheyenne, WY

Oregon wasn't even tested.

Looked a lot like the beat down Utah put on the Cougars in December.

• stampederus Ephraim, UT
    March 20, 2014 4:24 p.m.

Unfortunately one team shot as well as the other did not, but I am still pleased with the Cougars' season. It's not often or ever that you can win a game shooting 30 % from the field. We may not have won the game but Collinsworth's. presence would have made a difference. Even the Oregon coach admitted as much in his post game comments. The Big Dance is an experience that only a few teams have an opportunity to be a part of. There will always be BYU haters and naysayers, who are more often wrong than right and become the laughing stock, even among their fans. Looking forward to an exciting and winning 2014-2015 season. GO, Cougars!

• 4blade2007 Provo, Utah
    March 20, 2014 4:22 p.m.

Carlino and the BYU coaches need to tell him to play to his strengths - his outside shooting is great when they go in but horrible when not. Very disappointed in BYU. Hopefully this 18 year old mission assignment will help BYU so they can get some chemistry on their team for two or three years at a time, As it is now each year is a new team.

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    March 20, 2014 4:21 p.m.

Oregon beats BYU. Did you see what Pitt did to Pac 12 team Colorado? Good thing the utes didn't make the field...it would have been worse!

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2014 4:19 p.m.

Unlike some classless u fans I will man up and say that BYU was NOT the better team today. Oregon had a great game plan and ran it very well. Coach Rose needs do some work on his imterior defense.

Good game Ducks. As for the pac, did anyone see the Coloroado game?

• Ken Sandy, UT
    March 20, 2014 4:14 p.m.

Dick Harmon last article:

"Some criticized BYU’s selection as a No. 10 seed. Shelby Mast of USA Today said BYU was in but not at 10. Ditto for bracketologist Joe Lunardi. Doug Gottlieb of CBS said the Cougars shouldn’t be in at all"

"Cougars have opportunity to prove themselves against Oregon"

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    March 20, 2014 4:14 p.m.

"Please go troll on articles about your own team."

Really? Did you happen to read the numerous comments by BYU fans after the Utes lost to St. Mary's???

Sorry, but if you dish it out you need to be prepared to take it when it comes back around.

That being said, it has become clear to me over the past few days of tournament play that no matter who we root for, we all have one thing in common: We like to believe that our team is far better than they actually are.

It's been fun, folks. See you all when football season starts!

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 20, 2014 4:06 p.m.

Welcome to the big leagues!!!

March 20, 2014 4:06 p.m.

Chris B,

I'm surprised you didn't know Oregon is the #7 team in the PAC12, not #4.

BYU's late game meltdown was even more EPIC than Utah's.

I wonder if Utah fans will drop 319 comments on this story like Y fans did after Utah's loss.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2014 4:03 p.m.

Oregon looked like the #4 pac 12 team and byu looked like the WCC #2 team. This game played out exactly as people who know basketball anticipated.

LOL!

• tyler11385 Springville, UT
    March 20, 2014 4:00 p.m.

"Conference Brothers" - Whatever makes you feel better...

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:59 p.m.

Where is Hadley?
    Salt Lake, UT

This was one of those "gimme" games in the brackets.

Even after the committee's gift of a 10 seed to byu, they're showing they don't belong with these kinds of teams. Well what did your mighty utes prove ,that they dont even belong in the NIT typical ute arrogance,you need to be more concerned about your own team ,but i guess utre trolls cant do that they need to come on to a byu threads and trash talk,when utah beats ST Marys then we will talk have a nice day

• Kaladin Greeley, CO
    March 20, 2014 3:58 p.m.

Saw this coming miles away. Big BYU fan, picked Oregon in my bracket. The guard shooting has been horrendous for the last month or so. Free throw shooting was awful all season. The bigs have also not been very big. Overall a pretty decent season with this young group. As all our favorite teams can say, "There's always next year"

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:58 p.m.

BYU had a good, but not great season.

Losing Collinsworth was a big loss.

The Cougars showed some fight climbing to within 3 points, before giving up the big run to lose by double digits.

Ignore the trolls. They knew going in that no matter how BYU's season ended in the Big Dance, it was still much better than being one and done in the NIT.

• Gone fishin PAC Country, CA
    March 20, 2014 3:57 p.m.

Extremely disappointed that BYU could not protect the paint. Oregon was better toady.
    Nice job Ducks. At least someone is representing the conference. Utah and Colorado could not.

Did anyone notice how the mighty PAC lost by more than 30 to Pittsburg this morning??

At least the big brother BYU went t the big boy dance and the little sister went to the little girls dance.

• Kaladin Greeley, CO
    March 20, 2014 3:56 p.m.

How many times did the U beat Oregon this season? How many times did the U beat Saint Mary's this season?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:56 p.m.

@christina

No matter what the outcome was here it is so much better than the embarrassment utah gave to u a couple of nights ago that there is no comparison. utah was one and done in the nit. lol

As for the game, BYU is a bad defensive team, bad. They constantly allowed the oregon players to set up wide open at the foul line and then would back off of them and give them a wide open 10 foot jump shot which oregon made almost ever time. It was ridiculous. Dave rose needs o rethink his philosophy this off season and maybe consider having his team play some defense on occasion.

• sherlock holmes Eastern, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:56 p.m.

The school is still up half a million over those that didn't play, and had a fun time in the laverne and shirley town.

But yeah, the u fans can have their turn now. I think Tuesday was painful enough for them. Losing is never fun.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:55 p.m.

Well that went exactly as we expected. Pac 12 vs. tiny conference beatdown!

Des News - why was this comment deleted? It breaks none of your rules.

• Jack of trades SLC, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:55 p.m.

So...when do those guys get back from their missions?

• romeisn'tburning layton, ut
    March 20, 2014 3:54 p.m.

Rise and Pout!

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:50 p.m.

Nice work Oregon. That was a neat little scrimmage that will prepare you for your next game.

Keep it up.

• Paul Revere American Fork, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:49 p.m.

Hey Chris B once again your crimson colored glasses are clouding your reality. Remember Utah's recent lose to a WCC member by 12. As I recall BYU beat that same school twice and once on their home floor. You need to shed those glasses and your Cougar envy. I think it is better to cheer for all the instate schools when they play other teams from other conferences. Wouldn't it have been better if all the Utah schools had won or will win in their respective tournament? The lack of respect by many Ute fans for BYU reminds me of the same level of respect give by ASU and U of A when they left the old WAC to join the PAC 8. Personally I think their total disregard at the WAC was because they were continual cellar dwellers. Sound familiar? I

• 4blade2007 Provo, Utah
    March 20, 2014 3:48 p.m.

BYU needs an inside game and better rebounding. I would like to congratulate Coach Rose for getting BYU this far with such a pathetic team, they really missed Collinsworth. If BYU were formulate enough to make three point shots they played well enough to win most games. But since they are a perimeter shooting team the opposing team started crowding the three point line then BYU started losing because they have NO inside offense. For example against Oregon it was two or sometimes three BYU players against 5 Oregon players BYU's offense consisted of Haws, Carlino and sometimes Mika, SO what happened to the other two or three players? Come on BYU start recruiting and get better players.

• wahului Stockton, CA
    March 20, 2014 3:48 p.m.

This wasn't loss of Collinsworth. This was abject failure on the part of the entire unit. If this is the "best basketball of the year", we might as well shut the program down. It is unimaginable to me that a major D-1 program can be as weak on fundamentals as this squad. Guess I should say it WAS unimaginable until this game. Pathetic, because I can't come up with a word for the actual magnitude of crappiness demonstrated today. What an embarrassing display! I love my Cougars. Hoopfully this will be the worst team we see for awhile now.

• Dave Matthews Sammamish, WA
    March 20, 2014 3:42 p.m.

Chris B is alive? After that terrible Ute loss to St. Mary's the other day and after all that arrogant Ute trash talk about the WCC and St. Mary's I thought we may never hear from him again. So he has to jump up and down when a Pac12 team that deserved to get invited to the Big Dance beats his nemesis BYU. The real funny thing here is that the "tiny Conference" he refers to is the same conference that BEAT HIS TEAM. At least Cougar fans here gave Oregon respect.

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    March 20, 2014 3:42 p.m.

Congrats to Dave Rose and BYU. They made the tournament...u did not!
    Give credit where credit is due. BYU made a run and Oregon answered. Congrats to Oregon. If u was playing Oregon today Oregon would have won like.....71-39.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:40 p.m.

A lot of trash talking on the Utes for losing to St Mary's. Such as "welcome to the WCC"! Well, welcome to the PAC 12 cougs. We know you would thoroughly dominate if you were in fact in the PAC.
    Enjoy!!

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:39 p.m.

Oh, the karma.

Welcome to the Pac 12. Again :)

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:37 p.m.

Proud of my Cougars. You beat St. Mary's twice and lost to Oregon in the NCAA. Has anyone else from Utah played St. Mary's? Just askin.

• DrUte Woods Cross, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:37 p.m.

Just saw the final box score for Oregon/BYU & would like to send a msg of condolences to the Blue fans. We of the Red have been there, done that.

It's not fun, but should fuel the fires for next year.

It's been said already --- only one men's team and one women's team will go undefeated. Everyone else goes home to study film and get ready to jump back in the saddle next year.

We can all hope for better results in the next go-round.

Be of good cheer --- it's time for football!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:34 p.m.

Sorry BYU fans. See you in December.

• BYU Blues Provo, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:32 p.m.

@Chris B
    Never forget- 70-58

BYU fought hard, especially considering the fact that their second best scorer and best all-around player was hurt. BYU mustered enough to pull within 3 in the second half, but couldn't pull it off without Collinsworth in the lineup.

What a great season to be a Cougars fan though! Second place in the WCC conference, beat Texas, Stanford and Gonzaga (and St. Mary's twice). Made the NCAA tournament, and lost to a very good Oregon team. Nothing to be ashamed of, and l can't wait for a great 2015 season!

Go Cougars!

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    March 20, 2014 3:29 p.m.

I'm a BYU fan, but it was kind of a revelation to watch Oregon's offense--the obvious point of which was to produce open looks--and compare it to BYU's "pass it around until someone decides to take a take a contested jump shot at the end of the shot clock" modus operandi. This BYU team simply wasn't very good, although the resident inferiority-complexed Ute fans are hard-pressed to make the claim the U was any better after its complete collapse against the fourth-best team in the WCC.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    March 20, 2014 3:27 p.m.

BYUs not a good basketball team right now. There are so many issues there isn't enough space here to adaquately address them all from poor shooting to poor defense and everything in between. Rose has his work cut out for him until the four espn top 100 recruits are finally all playing together. This team right now is a joke.

Ute fans you shouldn't even be commenting after your loss to a "cream puff in a cream puff conference in a high school gym". You didn't belong in the NIT let alone the NCAA.

• Sandy Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:25 p.m.

Please just describe the play in this blog, and perhaps post your personal opinions on your Facebook page or something. "BYU is playing terrible basketball" doesn't help me understand anything about the game.

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    March 20, 2014 3:25 p.m.

Like Utah, BYU just embarrassed themselves in the second half. It looks as though all the Utah schools are not that good this year.

What's ironic is Utah ended its season losing to a WCC team and BYU's season ended losing to a PAC-12 team.

Welcome to the off season Cougs!

• Jack of trades SLC, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:22 p.m.

So...when do those guys get off their missions?

• Yankees24 SLC, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:20 p.m.

I am amazed at the comments of some Utah fans. First off, your mighty Pac12 Utes lost to one of those tiny conference schools. Secondly, your team is sitting on the couch watching these two teams play. And last but not least, BYU's most important player is hurt. No one expected BYU to win. Oregon is the better team and anyone who watches basketball knows that.

• bishopslc ogden, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:19 p.m.

Haws shooting us out of the game again!!! What is wrong with that kid? Pass the BALL please! Hit the boards PLEASE! Get others involved PLEASE since you cant hit the broadside of a barn! Thank you

• International Cougar Fan Tacoma, WA
    March 20, 2014 3:18 p.m.

The tiny conference embarrassed the utes. Go Gaels!

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    March 20, 2014 3:16 p.m.

Where's Hadley, Chris B, Ken

Say the people whose team can't even win the NIT first round against a "tiny conference" team.

And you guys think BYU fans have an inferiority complex. This is why Utah will never do well in the PAC-12. You guys are too concerned about BYU and not concerned enough with ASU, USC, Oregon, et. al.

• dirt Sandy, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:14 p.m.

No defense, no offensive threat, looks about like the game the other night with Utah getting beat up by a lesser conference team. Of course this time the tables have flipped.

• Bring Gary back Murray, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:13 p.m.

Come on fellow Utes. We did just lose to St. Mary's we can't talk. Our day will come.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:04 p.m.

Chris B

Talking about a PAC 12 beat down, did u catch the CU game? They almost broke the u record for the fewest points in not only a half, but for a game! U got to love the mighty PAC. Thinking about it, they would make a good rival for u. I can just see the final score of a Bball game.....6 to 2 for CU.

• International Cougar Fan Tacoma, WA
    March 20, 2014 3:04 p.m.

Got to love ute fans. No more bowls to go to anymore, and can't get in the big dance.

Oh, well we can hope BYU loses...

It must be rough being a ute fan.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    March 20, 2014 2:57 p.m.

53-56
    Nice comeback now hang on to the momentum.
    Good Luck
    Saint Marys already beat down the Pac-12 this post season.

• No U Won't Reality, UT
    March 20, 2014 2:56 p.m.

We saw how prestigious the PAC 12 was today with how well Colorado played against Pitt. Nice showing by the Buffs!

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2014 2:48 p.m.

Oregon: Winning team
    byu : losing team

No, its not the refs fault.
    No, its not because Collinsworth is hurt
    No, its not the weather inside the arena that impacts byu more than Oregon

Oregon is better. That's why they have more points.

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    March 20, 2014 2:46 p.m.

Even after the committee didnt let us in we still showed we belong with these kinds of teams and byu doesnt because we led marys for a long time!

Go Utes!

• Gone fishin PAC Country, CA
    March 20, 2014 2:36 p.m.

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2014 2:32 p.m.

Oregon is playing like Oregon and byu is playing like byu. No real surprises in this game.

WCC may have zero teams playing after the first round.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 20, 2014 2:26 p.m.

I can't figure out who's "in control" in this one.

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    March 20, 2014 2:18 p.m.

Y making too many unforced mistakes. Oregon playing really well. Y still has a chance. Go Cougs!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    March 20, 2014 2:15 p.m.

C'mon cougs! Just bein' there is good, but winning is better! You can DO THIS!

• Where is Hadley? Salt Lake, UT
    March 20, 2014 2:06 p.m.

This was one of those "gimme" games in the brackets.

• Where is Hadley? Salt Lake, UT
    March 20, 2014 2:05 p.m.

Nice to see another conference brother put byu in their place, just as we did months ago. I wonder if Oregon will beat them by more than we did. I hope so.

• Unbiased1979 dallas, TX
    March 20, 2014 1:54 p.m.

Since the start of the WCC and including this game, Carlino is shooting 10-39, and 1 for 17 from 3. He needs to step up in the second half if the cougars are going to have a shot.

• Irrelevant Provo, UT
    March 20, 2014 1:21 p.m.

someone should tell carlino he's not jimmer

• Sick of it Spanish Fork, UT
    March 20, 2014 1:18 p.m.

Go Cougs!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2014 1:10 p.m.

Oregon about to give byu .250 record against the PAC 12

Interesting that the #4 PAC 12 team is favored against #2 powerhouse west coast team. And no, losing collinsworth isn't the reason Oregon is favored.

And don't blame the loss on him being out.

Oregon: winning team!
    Byu: losing team!

• Vanceone Provo, UT
    March 20, 2014 12:45 p.m.

If I were some sort of Utah fan, I'd be "Marking it down" as the Mighty, unchallenged Pac 12 plays a weak, cream puff foe from the weak, cream puff conference known as the WCC.

But since that worked out so well for Utah the last time they tried those claims, I'll just say that I hope BYU wins! Should be a good game. I hope Haws goes off for 50 or something.