8-year-old's homework rejected after she names Jesus as her hero

March 28, 2014 5:01 p.m.

You clearly state the impasse between "believers" and "atheists".

I can tell you that I believe, but based on more than the warm feeling. That is part of it, but not all. There is also experiences with acting on faith and having things work out when there was no ratioal way they should.

I have looked at the same "evidences" against Joseph Smith as others I know, but to me there are plenty of holes in that material. I have never hidden from evaluating criticisms, because I want to know for myself. And I still believe.

Some of us believe, some do not. Neither will end up being proven correct in this life. However, I believe we will find out all the truth in the next....

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    March 28, 2014 3:01 p.m.

"And there are plenty of "scientists" who only accept the evidence that fits with their presuppositions."

Hence my acknowledgement that the process is perfect, but followed by imperfect beings. That sounds pretty close to the LDS church credo that "the gospel is perfect but church members aren't."

My primary point stands. Religion and faith tend to work backwards; pure science doesn't. It requires no thought. Hey; I had a warm fuzzy feeling, so I'm good! Does't pass the smell test? So what; I had a warm fuzzy feeling.

I guess I've never really accepted the value of faith for its own sake. Is it better to have faith in Something even if it's complete bunk? I guess if that's comforting to someone, then maybe it is better. I'm sure you've known people who absolutely believed something you found absurd. Were they better off just because, well, at least they believed SOMETHING? I can't get there.

March 28, 2014 2:13 p.m.

Actually, the biggest difference between the two is that science attempte to explain the natural world around us while religion is concerned with our origin and meaning. Science will never explain nor disprove religion. It is not designed to.

Religion is based on faith. Absolute proof of God would negate the need for faith. Finding and nurturing faith is one of the reasons for our existence. Hence the reason that religion does not start with empirical observation, but with belief and hope. This does not make one better than the other, just different.

BTW, scientists exercise "faith" in their theories all the time. And there are plenty of "scientists" who only accept the evidence that fits with their presuppositions.....

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    March 28, 2014 1:23 p.m.

Red Wings -

The evidence leading to the Big Bang Theory and the Theory of Evolution is readily available if you really cared to look it up. Note that both are openly called "theories" even by people who subscribe to them. A theory is "an idea or set of ideas that is intended to explain facts or events."

Are you willing to accept the "theory" label for existence of God? Most religious folks I know would consider that tantamount to "denying the spirit" or some other such Very Serious Sin. No; you must say "I KNOW . . " before every statement made in church regarding the veracity of doctrine, or you're going to looked upon askance.

And that's the big difference between the two angles . . the religious start with cart-before-horse: "I know God is real (or Joseph Smith is a prophet, etc)" and then accept only facts or interpretations that fit that presupposition. The scientific process (if not all scientists) is at least honest in that is starts with observable facts and works forward to a theory.

March 28, 2014 12:54 p.m.

A Scientist:

Since those who purport hte existence of something have the burden of proof, Could you please proove to me the following:

Big Bang Theory
    Theory of Evolution

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    March 28, 2014 12:13 p.m.

Janet, the purpose of the article is to grab eyeballs and keep people coming back to the trough for more. This story is troubling . . as much as a single, solitary isolated incident with fuzzy details can be troubling in the context of discussing US society as a whole. Which is to say, it's worth about one furrowed brow or disapproving scowl.

Off the cuff I'd say the teacher was wrong and was begging for some pious parent to make a mountain out of a molehill, but that's pretty much all the outrage I can spend on such trivia. The fevered minds of so many Christians/Mormons love to read these stories, inflate them to about 10,000 times their actual size, and add them to the mental files they're keeping to nurture their personal persecution complexes.

People, just stop the silliness. The Liberal vultures are not out to get you. Obama isn't cackling as he plans the next assault on your religious freedoms. Just live your life. This little girl and her mommy will be fine.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    March 26, 2014 10:40 a.m.

@The Scientist--so you need a sign before you can believe?

The signs are all round you if you're eyes is open.

• brokenclay Tempe, AZ
    March 25, 2014 10:00 p.m.

Even the most critical of New Testament scholars will affirm to you that Jesus was an historical figure.

To say otherwise bespeaks the priority one places on his own predilections in the face of a mountain of evidence.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    March 24, 2014 11:01 p.m.

D&C 89:5
    5 That inasmuch as any man drinketh wine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father, only in assembling yourselves together to offer up your sacraments before him.

Literally the only use of wine in the LDS church was in the early days for the Sacrament and you want me to believe Jesus made non-alcoholic wine? By the way, I've never had wine or any alcohol myself.

@John Pack Lambert of Michigan
    "KKK developed doctrine of the speration of Church and state."

That is completely and totally false, particularly since the KKK championed integrating their perverted views of faith based views into the law.

• JM Lehi, UT
    March 24, 2014 1:21 p.m.

@ the "Scientist" you seem to enjoy putting the burden of proof for YOUR faith upon others ;), but we both know there is abundant evidence that Jesus Christ is a real person, and so, I must again ask, why don't you request evidence or proof from atheists, or from those who claim Jesus is a "myth" or not a "real person" or is "a figure from fiction or mythology"? Just askin : )...again.

(I suspect you know there is none...but I would like to hear it from you again, maybe something like "you can't prove a negative" ; ) although we both know we can, and that it can be proven that Santa isn't real or that some documents are forgeries (and the evidence indicates that the BofM is not) etc.) : ) still luvya just been busy

• Whittling Whistler Lehi, UT
    March 24, 2014 11:07 a.m.

My homework was rejected at the "U" because I quoted God from the D&C. I tried to avoid it, but it was a philosophy class discussing religious issues (The Problem of Evil and Determinism) and we were asked to write on solutions. The only valid solution was given through Joseph Smith : ). I guess the atheists didn't like having a solution to their biggest complaint against God, so I was chastised in front of the class for quoting Joseph Smith, and was given a bad grade for giving a solution to something that has been a problem for the religious for thousands of years.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    March 23, 2014 11:23 p.m.

Those who make the claims that something or someone is real have the burden to provide proof of their claims.

I know people who testify that Big Foot is real.

Others testify that the Loch Ness Monster is real.

And then there are those who testify that Jesus is real.

At least some people have produced pictures they claim are of Big Foot and "Nessy".

• BYU9293 Clinton, UT
    March 23, 2014 6:31 p.m.

To John Pack Lambert of Michigan,
    You are right, absolutely. There is no separation of church and state in the constitution, never has been and it was never meant to be. It was the agenda of a supreme court justice and most people now claim it is part of the constitution. Thanks for your comment.
    As for this article, it sounds like the teacher asked for a report on your hero, period. If the teacher was not more specific, then she gets what she gets and it should not be rejected because one's hero is a religious figure.
    The attempts by some to claim Christ is a "mythical" figure are sad. I feel bad for anyone so misled who cannot see such simple truths. But, that is their right, free agency allows us to choose not to believe the truth. I choose to believe the truth myself.

• county mom Monroe, UT
    March 23, 2014 5:56 p.m.

Interesting how those who do not believe in Jesus Christ belittle those who do.
    They find every source that could possibly be connected to proof of Jesus Christ's life suspect.
    Well he lived, whether or not you believe that he is the Son of God is another subject entirely. There is evidence of his life in in written history.
    If you do believe that he is the Son of God, like this child does, then the "when" would be an impossible question to answer. Yesterday, today and forever. He is infinite, having always lived and living always.
    Whether or not you believe it is not the problem, to this child or parent. They believe. Your opinion is of no value, they know something you do not and will never know because you have chosen to close your heart.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    March 22, 2014 9:03 a.m.

If the teacher wanted all the students to write on just one hero, she should have required it before hand. Of course, that would be horrible pedagogy. Students creativity should be encouraged. Of course I teach in Detroit Public Schools where we post in the library a sign that says "God Said: Thou Shalt Not Kill". W do not accept the false, KKK developed doctrine of the speration of Church and state. That was what Justice Black was referring to when e stuck it in Supreme Court jurisprudence, the "eternal separation of Church and state" he had sworn hundreds to fight for when they joined the KKK. I am not making this up, at all.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    March 22, 2014 8:57 a.m.

The attempts to claim that Jesus is "not real" show the extent to which some anti-Christians have now gone. Jesus is a historical figure, better attested to than many historical figures. The attempts to eliminate the New Testament as evidence are more indicative of odd uses of evidentiary standards, never used against anyone else.

This is actually emblematic of how horrible some Supreme Court decisions have been, and an attempt to destroyed the 1st Amendment. Content bans of this type by government actors are a real threat.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    March 22, 2014 8:55 a.m.

This is a major breach of religious freedom. People have the right to identify their heros. Students have free speech rights, and can write what they chose. Religion can not be a banned sudject by teachers. This is very sad.

• Neena San Salvador, El Salvador, 00
    March 21, 2014 11:26 a.m.

Sounds to me you don't know much about the different types of wines available during the time of Christ. Either way if all you know is alcoholic wines you might have a look at ARIEL Non-Alcoholic Wines who are one of the tops wines that can compete with the tops of wines around the world.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    March 21, 2014 10:45 a.m.

"And Dang It, she picked a wonderful hero. He doesn't use drugs"

Heh, well it depends on what you count as drugs, he did personally supply a wedding with wine after all.

• LittleStream Carson City, NV
    March 21, 2014 8:01 a.m.

If more people had Jesus as a hero, this would be a kinder world. If the little girl has a hero, she should never be told that he is not her hero. And Dang It, she picked a wonderful hero. He doesn't use drugs, he doesn't prance around showing off his body, he doesn't collect money just for the purpose of having it. Jesus is my hero too! He died on the cross for me. What greater sacrifice and emblem of being a hero could we want?

• Dave D Spring Creek, NV
    March 20, 2014 3:51 p.m.

"While on the surface this sounds appalling, I am willing to bet there is some element to the story not being told."

I think that is pretty safe to assume given the original source of the article (not to mention the "newspaper" that picked it up). Deseret News is the "Colbuffington Re-post" of conservative Mormonism. If you don't know what that is, look it up.

• Noodlekaboodle Poplar Grove, UT
    March 20, 2014 3:46 p.m.

Lets be honest here. It's not like this is from an objective news source. TheBlaze is owned by Glenn Beck, like him or dislike him, it's hard to argue that the man doesn't have a specific agenda.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    March 20, 2014 2:59 p.m.

Found another 'victim', eh?

• sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    March 20, 2014 2:01 p.m.

Would she have gotten the same response if she had written about Buddha, Gandhi, Muhammad, Confucius, or Zoroaster?

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    March 20, 2014 1:20 p.m.

If "she wants to write about Jesus, she should write about Jesus."

Uh huh . . . or she could do what her teacher wants her to do.

That's a novel concept huh?

Apparently, the Blaze thinks children should give assignments to teachers, not the other way around.

And why not? Teachers have far too much authority these days . . . especially in schools. How dare a teacher have any discretion in her own classroom! Telling a child what to do?! That's just WRONG.

I can see the situation from the perspective of the Blaze though. The Blaze is one of the silly Right Wing propaganda outlets I subscribe to. Yep, I get all kinds of misinformation and bizarre opinions every day right there in my Inbox.

Anyway, the Blaze, being the Right Wing propaganada outlet it is, would be well served to have a continuous crop of poorly educated people sent through the system, because educated people would never seriously believe the non-facts the Blaze turns out.

Even the ads seemed geared to cause harm to misinformed people . . . like those ads insisting that Colonoscopies are dangerous.

Ah well, that's Glenn Beck for you.

• Janet Ontario, OR
    March 20, 2014 1:17 p.m.

The article shows a worksheet regarding the student's plan for the assignment. There is nothing else in evidence. The principal and teacher deny that the child was prohibited from writing about Jesus. There aren't enough facts for readers to draw conclusions; the obvious purpose of the article is to stir up Christians against public education. The vast majority of the comments at the foot of the article are bandwagon-jumping rants. What was the purpose of the DN's linking its readers to such a careless piece of "journalism"?

• Californian#1@94131 San Francisco, CA
    March 20, 2014 12:55 p.m.

According to the original article linked, the family said the daughter was forbidden to write about Jesus and was required to write something different, while the school district said that didn't happen.

How complicated is this? Something either did or did not happen; there aren't any philosophical or even semantic intricacies here. Why is there such diametrical disagreement over what happened?

Either the family has an agenda and is lying, or the school district wants to cover up and is lying.

Meanwhile, I hope Missy has learned the most important lesson. Next time your teacher asks who your hero is, say Barack Obama or Hilary Clinton, and you'll get an A+ and there won't be any controversy.

• Lowonoil Clearfield, UT
    March 20, 2014 12:48 p.m.

Perhaps the assignment was to choose a real person rather than a figure from fiction or mythology. If there was no such restriction, I might have picked someone like Frodo Baggins or Luke Skywalker.

• Darrel Eagle Mountain, UT
    March 20, 2014 12:43 p.m.

Was the assignment to someone currently living? Someone she personally knew? Was her hero supposed to be a female?

• Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2014 12:17 p.m.

The article heading on The Blaze:
    > Young Student’s ‘My Hero Is Jesus’ Assignment Rejected by Teacher, Mom Claims

So, this is about one teacher, in one school, telling one student, to write something different on one assignment....

Definitely a national news worthy event. Stop the presses! Christians being persecuted!

One mother of one student claims that one teacher in one school is being biased against her God.

Well, yes. The teacher should probably not have done that.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    March 20, 2014 11:29 a.m.

Hmm - couldn't be that the homework assignment was rejected and a different hero suggested because the girl was unable to provide the information requested for the assignment, could it?

The assignment clearly asks (Who? Does what? When?). The Who? and Does what? were clearly answered. The When? was not answered at all.

When? is very hard question to answer when you are 8 years old talking about Jesus.

It is possible the teacher suggested she choose a more recent hero so she can fully provide the information requested.

Let's face it - chances are the mom would have been no more happy had the teacher accepted the assignment and graded it poorly because of the missing information.

• One opinion west jordan, UT
    March 20, 2014 11:11 a.m.

One of the comments suggests the mom is seeking attention. I applaud this mother for "seeking attention" because in doing so, something is being revealed that needs to be addressed. Did the teacher want the child to lie? or say something to please them? Perhaps "Jesus" is truly her "Hero" - He is mine also. As we read about Jesus, we see he is kind, thoughtful, giving, and loving, a wonderful example of men among men. What's not to admire?