Utah

Meals on Wheels provides food and friendship to seniors

Comments

• Erika Salem, Utah
    March 24, 2014 11:28 a.m.

Networks of support are critical to all of us, not just the elderly. Volunteering like this is GREAT karma.

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    March 20, 2014 12:49 p.m.

Sally, I agree that in an ideal world, I would do this. I do take over dinner on a regular basis, but unfortunately, I have a demanding job, kids, and lots of responsibilities.
    So, my mother can pay a token fee and get a delicious HOT meal every day, and I know there is someone checking on her when I am out of town.
    It's a wonderful program, and I think she likes the food better than my cooking!

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    March 20, 2014 11:18 a.m.

@ Sally: I could take the time off everyday to make sure my parents are taken care of and have a healthy lunch - but then I would probably lose my job, which would place me and my children on food stamps and make me unable to financially help my parents in other ways.

Alternatively, I could spend my evenings with my parents and not be available to feed my children and help them with their homework.

Or, I could allow others the Christian opportunity of helping me and my family. I think I will go with that one.

• GZE SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 20, 2014 9:52 a.m.

Sometimes, family are unable to help. Sometimes, they are too far away. I know when my own parents reached an age where they needed help, they refused to relocate to be closer to their children and grandchildren. We did what we could; but you can't really check in every day when you're 700 miles away.

Also, it's nice for the elderly to get a chance to interact with people who are not family. A wider social circle is a good thing.

• sally Kearns, UT
    March 20, 2014 9:22 a.m.

I think it is even better when family takes care of family.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    March 20, 2014 6:03 a.m.

How wonderful to reach out to Seniors this way. It sounds like a great community effort. Blessings to those who receive and those who give!