Sports

Cougars looking for Carlino, others to step up against Oregon

Comments

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2014 11:34 a.m.

"Go Ducks" because my team choked on a 'cupcake' in the JV tournament on Tuesday in Moraga

• BYU9293 Clinton, UT
    March 20, 2014 10:05 a.m.

I really think the key will be Carlino, which scares me. If he plays well and doesn't try to do too much, we can beat them. We should have beat them at their place and blew a nice lead very late to go to overtime. Our defense is better, but without Collinsworth, it is tough to say. If he were healthy, I think this would have many experts pick as an upset, but without him, Oregon has to be favored. Tourney time is great because it lets you really see who are the good conferences and who are not. If you have multiple higher seeded teams losing from a conference, then it is clear that conference was overrated. The Pac 12 had this happen last year. It is a fun sporting event.

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    March 20, 2014 9:32 a.m.

We couldnt make it in there to win them so you can win them for us big brothers because that what big brothers are for and thanks!

Go duck!

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    March 20, 2014 9:30 a.m.

I think BYU has a good chance of winning this game. But if they are up by ten at half time I'm certainly not going to call the game as over like certain people did against SMU

I think its pretty sad how some BYU detractors such as Chris B. resort to taking stabs at BYU as if nobody in the world is aware that his Utes still can't post a significant W on the road, and do absolutely nothing to add to PAC prestige that he seems so enamored by.

Face it Chris the utes are not even also rans in your conference.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    March 20, 2014 9:28 a.m.

I look forward to the game; really don't care who wins. As long as it's as close and well played as the first meeting; I'm good with it. Let the madness begin.

I love this time of year!

Go Gonzaga!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    March 20, 2014 8:51 a.m.

@Chris B,

"Shouldn't the #2 wcc team be favored over the #4 pac 12 team?"

You have to ask? After all the denigrating over the years of BYU joining the WCC? Would you feel better if we tell you that "No", the #2 WCC should not be favored over the #4 of the Pac 12, especially with their 2nd best player out! Just like SMC, the #4 WCC was not favored over the Pac 12 #6 Utes. I'm sad your Utes blew a big lead and lost because I think they're much better then the way they played in the final 10 minutes of the game.

Good luck Cougars!

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    March 20, 2014 8:46 a.m.

The Oregon gravy train just pulled into the Huntsman Center. All aboard!

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    March 20, 2014 8:42 a.m.

Chris B

"Go Ducks!"

I cheer for my TEAMS, not my Conferences but I understand why Utes have to cheer for a conference because Utah leaves very little to cheer for.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 20, 2014 8:26 a.m.

Shouldn't the #2 wcc team be favored over the #4 pac 12 team?

And no, if Collinsworth was playing byu would not be favored - so the question remains, why would the #4 pac 12 team be favored over the second best team from the powerhouse WCC?

Go Ducks!

• Adirondack Cougar Loon Lake, NY
    March 20, 2014 4:06 a.m.

One of the following three needs to step up big; Halford, Sharp , or Bartley. If one of them does, we could surprise Oregon.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    March 19, 2014 10:44 p.m.

Obviously something has changed, an absence of naysayer comments here, it's like...

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of (ok, actually just a few) voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

Good luck Cougars!

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    March 19, 2014 7:46 p.m.

I love every post from "Mildred" because they're always so ludicrously overblown and out of touch with anything serious. Some clever U supporter has created a deliciously sarcastic avatar in the dear lady.

My biggest concern is that Carlino will try to play the hero, rather than the distributor. If that happens, the game will be long and painful for BYU fans.

Do the Cougars have much of a chance against Oregon with Kyle Collinsworth out? Most BYU fans would say, "Not much of a chance." I hope Oregon is overconfident, but I know they have a ton of talent and a solid offense.

BYU's offense lacks dimension with Collinsworth out. The failure of Mark Pope to develop Austin offensively means that BYU will essentially play Oregon with four possible scorers being defended by five Oregon Ducks. I don't see the Cougars prevailing, but I would love to be wrong!

• Dave Matthews Sammamish, WA
    March 19, 2014 7:32 p.m.

Mildred, your team is not playing Oregon. They are done with basketball for the year. Or maybe you though this article was talking about Baseball.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    March 19, 2014 7:22 p.m.

If Carlino gets hot and scores 30, then BYU wins this one. He can do it.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    March 19, 2014 6:30 p.m.

We're going to destroy Oregon because we have better players and a better tradition.