Faith

New Harmony: When studying the prophets, look beyond the labels

Comments

• JSTme Rancho Cordova, CA
    March 20, 2014 10:26 a.m.

Regarding Deborah, 1Aggie, she did not hold the Priesthood.

• JSTme Rancho Cordova, CA
    March 20, 2014 10:23 a.m.

No, 1Aggie, she did not hold the priesthood.

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    March 19, 2014 2:19 p.m.

I'm also a gospel doctrine teacher and I love the Old Testatment.

But even beyond that, one thing that I have noticed is that we also tend to isolate each prophet to his own, short tenure. We overlook the fact that the prophets -- since Adam and Eve left the Garden, have been working in a unified effort to accomplish the Lord's primary objective -- .... to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

Nephi was told, during the course of his vision where he was shown future events -- at a point to stop writing, that John would cover that part of the revelation. Methuselah was left behind when Enoch's city was translated in order to maintain the race by fathering Noah, etc. I am convinced that each of these great men; including President Monson, have been working together - across the expanse of time, according to their own assignments, to prepare for the Second Coming and the final judgement. Each prophet has handed off the torch, not simply blown out his own candle when his life was over.

• sharrona layton, UT
    March 19, 2014 9:40 a.m.

RE: When studying the prophets, look behind the labels. True,

The ark which saved Noah and his family from the Flood is a beautiful type of Christ as the only way of salvation. As the Flood of God's judgment on sin came upon the earth in Noah's day, so the flood of God's judgment against sin came upon Christ at the cross. As the ark was battered by the awesome storms of the Flood, and then rested on Mount Ararat, so the Lord Jesus bore the terrible penalty for our sins and now rests from His finished work. As Noah and his family believed God and were saved from physical death solely through the ark, so we who trust in Christ are saved from sin's penalty of spiritual death through Christ alone.

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught that the thief on the cross was to be with Jesus Christ "in the world of spirits" (he did not say paradise or heaven)??
    "Today shalt thou be with me in “*paradise”. (Luke 23:43 NIV, NET)..i.e... The LORD(YHWH) God planted a garden(*paradeisos, G# 3857) eastward in Eden;(Gen 2:8 LXX).

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    March 19, 2014 9:12 a.m.

Gospel Doctrine teachers vary and so do students.

Many might only remember that Benjamin taught us to "serve our fellow men" and another sees a lengthy discourse, abridged to about ten pages in the Book of Mormon, about repentance, the Atonement, and the necessity of humbling oneself in the depths of humility when we pray in order to retain a remission of our sins. Among other things.

How many recall what service Benjamin personally embodied; that it amounted to serving diligently as a ruler of the people, without charge, of not having prisons or requiring taxes to support his government? Tell me if I'm wrong and where. I would love our ruling classes to read and apply.

• ALH Enumclaw, WA
    March 19, 2014 7:56 a.m.

Great piece! I'll try to keep this approach in my mind as I study this year and in coming years.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 19, 2014 7:47 a.m.

When I think of Deborah of the Old Testament, I think of a woman who held the priesthood. Her talents were recognized by the men of her day, and utilized to everyone's benefit.