Who are the Gaels? A BYU fan explains Saint Mary's to Ute fans

March 20, 2014 10:09 p.m.

eastcoastcoug, again funny, and would be funnier if it were true. There are apartment buildings all over downtown SLC filled with U students, nowhere near that number live with their parents.

• Ironmomo Southern, UT
    March 19, 2014 1:07 p.m.

@Epoint....the Titanic had a good man at the helm as well.
    Speaking of disasters...did you see the one last night in Moraga?

• Objectified Tooele, UT
    March 19, 2014 9:27 a.m.

@ ekute:

You are correct. BYU and it's fans are nothing like Utah and it's fans. And BYU's fans are very thankful for that... totally grateful. Best compliment we've received in quite awhile. Thanks.

BTW: BYU is totally not obsessed with the PAC12. However, we do enjoy how it's able to keep Utah tucked away in it's basement in football and lower-tiered in basketball. And the PAC12 stickers are the entertainment of the year for BYU fans. Absolutely hilarious how Utah fans stick them on anything and everything before ever earning them!

@ Chris B:

Even if "the sports world doesn't know much about the WCC" (as you put it), Utah certainly does by now... after being taken to the woodshed by a very average WCC team who "hasn't done much in decades". And by double digits, no less.

Wow! Talk about setting yourself up for a gigantic fall.

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 19, 2014 8:31 a.m.

It was an embarrassing and it's worrisome that we haven't seen the Utes resolve their issue with closing out games on the road or that Delon doesn't have a midrange shot. Hopefully with hard work this summer a more refined and mature team will return for next year.
    I don't think that guy from Ct. has ever been to Utah or to a Utes event. Even his description of a byu fan is off base. Like I said, I've never noticed a PAC 12 sticker but you can't deny that if they're out there they definitely get under the skin of the detractors. lol.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    March 19, 2014 6:48 a.m.

US News says 86% live off campus. The U. is known as a "commuter school" for the number that live at home and drive into campus every day. 84% are from the state of Utah. Wow. Mostly the Wasatch Front. That's a high percentage for a small state. 31% of undergraduates are over 25 years old.

Look at the number of apartments around the campus compared to most US universities. There just aren't that many. I've known scores of people that lived at home. I've also known several student ward bishops who have confirmed this as the majority of their students.

BYU has the Honor Code. Utah students live by Mom and Dad's rules until they're over 25. Isn't it great...we just have so much in common!!

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    March 19, 2014 2:46 a.m.

Wow this was a hilarious night for basketball. All the pac12 prestige down the toilet to the 4th place team from the might WCC in a gym that holds 3500 people.

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    March 19, 2014 12:21 a.m.

Spokane Ute
    Spokane, WA

Your take is spot on; nicely done. I have watched St. Mary's vs. Gonzaga (3 times), BYU and San Francisco. I have watched Utah about 10-12 times. No way Utah should lose this game. This St. Mary's team is down this year. Gonzaga crushed them in each contest. It's college hoops though; you never know.When the wcc haters on here do nothing but put down their schools and cal it church lesgue like most of the so called ute fans on here have done ,it really tends to tick of the players on those teams off which is 1 reason why utah got their butts handed to then tonite of course it helps when the trash talk is e mailed to their opponents.

• Mikhail ALPINE, UT
    March 19, 2014 12:09 a.m.

Ouch! I guess that those WCC teams can play some ball…

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    March 19, 2014 12:05 a.m.

@ Chris and ekute:

You guys crack up most of us who try to be objective.
    Yes Chris, these articles are needed because when an average WCC team beats the Utes, that isn't saying much.
    Always seeing the world in red has gotta sometimes be painful.

How does it feel getting beat by the 4th place team who "hasn't done much in decades" and from "a conference that no one has heard of" and by double-digits no-less?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    March 18, 2014 11:36 p.m.

Not all ute fans,-but to the sarcastic ones:

This was a great win by the Gaels. Justice has been served.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    March 18, 2014 11:20 p.m.

I think the nation knows about about the WCC and St. Mary's. The whole nation saw St. Mary's take utah to the woodshed. An embarrassing night for the pac.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    March 18, 2014 11:00 p.m.

@Chris B.

This whole 99% of us this and that all the time is not representing us Ute fans well at all. I have a split decision percentage of friends all throughout my 43 years here in Utah that are LDS and Utah fans. So don't make all of us out to be on some crusade against the church.

Sure we like to to see ourselves as different and unique in our own ways and some of us can't stand the culture in Provo. Back in the day, all my trips to hang at BYU for the weekend with childhood friends on campus was Planet Pluto for sure. But many of us respect BYU while wanting to beat them badly.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    March 18, 2014 10:53 p.m.

USA Today? No thanks I stopped reading the 'matrix control system' information a long time ago.

BYU has fans/members spread throughout the country and beyond. They have their TV station, although I have not been impressed checking it out. Nevertheless, BYU has prospered with their ESPN relationship for the most part. Look, there is a lot of things to be proud of as a BYU fan, but those same publications that laud you sometimes turn on you. Don't be lost on the fact that that is part of how your influence is seen to them. Yes BYU can get a break in the polls over Utah at times when both are close to equal, but it's the overall image that promotes interest.

March 18, 2014 9:32 p.m.

Good entertainment tonight. Especially the similarities between The U and Byu fans. Very funny.

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 18, 2014 9:08 p.m.

Honestly, I've never seen a PAC 12 sticker but I heard that there's one out there and everybody in happy valley noticed it. lol.

March 18, 2014 9:07 p.m.

eastcoastcoug: "Far more Utes live with Mom than in the Frat houses."

I'd like to know where you got that stat from. I lived off campus and commuted my entire time at the U, but was 300 miles from "Mom". I'd say about 90% of the students I associated with also commuted, but maybe 10% of them actually lived with "Mom".

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    March 18, 2014 8:01 p.m.

Layton, UT

"Dear Saint Marys,
    Unlike you and the rest of the WCC, byu fans are obsessed with the PAC 12 and it's emblem."

Oh, so those are BYU fans driving all of those cars with pac 12 stickers on them... Now I understand!

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    March 18, 2014 7:46 p.m.

The 2012 census says 62.2% of Utahns are LDS. Hasn't changed in 10 years.

A few more stats about the U and the Y:

50-60% of Utah students are LDS, 98% at BYU
    84% of Utah students come from the state of Utah, only 33% at BYU
    77% of Utah students are White, 86% of BYU students are White
    Utah was ranked 20th as "most religious", BYU was 10th
    Utah applicants: 3.55 GPA, BYU applicants: 3.80

Percent of students living at home: Utah 80%, BYU 15%. Far more Utes live with Mom than in the Frat houses. Not the image the Utes like to portray..

• Christy B Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 18, 2014 7:41 p.m.

Since BYU swept the Gaels this season, our Utes shouldn't have any trouble stomping Saint Mary's.

• Utah, We want our money back PAC Country, CA
    March 18, 2014 6:21 p.m.

As we know the utes can have a really bad game and you never know when it is going to happen like the Pullman game or 13 points in an entire half against Arizona on national TV Let's just hope they have one of those games tonight.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    March 18, 2014 5:55 p.m.

Go Utes!!! I'm counting on a Ute victory...they have made great strides this year...kicked our butts...

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    March 18, 2014 3:47 p.m.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    March 18, 2014 3:23 p.m.

Chris B:
    "The sports world forgets that the WCC even exists because other than Gonzaga no team has really done much in decades."

Yep, and there are still people that call it the PAC10 even though they know there are 12 teams in it. I was talking with a Florida fan the other day...he's from Orlando, and he said quote: "I wonder if the PAC10 kept their receipt?" We were just talking football (Georgia vs Florida) and then in general and he brought that up. Needless to say I was I was laughing my head off.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    March 18, 2014 3:17 p.m.

This is a reasonable summary of St. Mary's but they are not the team they've been in recent years. I think Utah can/should win this game pretty easily. SM just doesn't have the depth needed to keep up in the paint. Waldow is good but can get frustrated easily if hounded for position. Should be a good one. Ute fans should take in all the sights and excitement of that HS gym while they have the chance. We all know how secretly they envy playing in those types of gyms regularly. (Yes, my sarcasm font is on)

• altahoops Provo, UT
    March 18, 2014 3:09 p.m.

Wow, eastcoast, you really struck a nerve with Chris B as he emphatically states most Ute fans are NOT LDS. Hilarious! But it probably factors in to his hatred of all things Blue and White.

All the Ute fans I know personally (at least 40 people) are all LDS. But then I live in Utah county.

• Mikhail ALPINE, UT
    March 18, 2014 2:35 p.m.

From a Cougar, Good Luck, Utes. Play like you did against BYU and you will win.

• EPoint Roy, UT
    March 18, 2014 2:34 p.m.

Chris B. is a true blue BYU fan, still in the closet. His comments only cause Cougar fans to rise and shout and love their team all the more. Though they surely wouldn't admit it, Y players are no doubt given fodder for fuel by Chris B. comments as well.

Utes will beat St. Mary's because Coach K. won't let them lose, Utah has a good man at the helm there.

• Oh, please! Saint George, UT
    March 18, 2014 2:08 p.m.

I hope the patron saint of St. Mary's and all the other "saints" pray hard for a St. Mary's victory tonight.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    March 18, 2014 2:07 p.m.

Chris B
    Salt Lake City, UT

I guess the "sports world" excludes Salt Lake City and County.

Most of the LDS, non-LDS, and U of U students/fans certainly know the WCC (and its high school gyms) exists.

• Swim Fan Honeyville, UT
    March 18, 2014 1:52 p.m.

@ Chris B.

This succinctly describes the Utah basketball program as well. Sounds like the Utes have finally found a home.

Mark it down. LOL!

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 18, 2014 1:50 p.m.

Dear Saint Marys,

March 18, 2014 1:41 p.m.

IDC, it's virtually a pick'em. When betting first opened, SMC was listed as a 3 point favorite, but nearly every source now has the game as either a pick'em or with Utah as a 1 point favorite.

SMC is a pretty solid team, and I expect probably a close contest most of the game. If Loveridge and Taylor can get hot (or at least better than lukewarm) shooting, I think Delon will get some space to create and take control late. Defensively, Waldo is the biggest concern I have, but with 20 potential fouls to give between Utah's 4 bigs that regularly see time, I don't see him getting into much of a rhythm. 45% FG and winning the rebounding battle I think will be sufficient for a good Utes win.

March 18, 2014 1:34 p.m.

Yes the WCC is lesser known which is why I am certain the Utes will beat St. Mary's badly. I mean why even play the game with this lesser known program. The Utes are in the PAC 12 and should just get a free pass right to the next round.

Of course should they fail to win and be upset by the WCC representative I suspect it will be the fault of the referees, or an injury or you can always talk about how the Utes are in the PAC and beat BYU in football last year.

And did I mention the Utes are in the PAC 12. In case you missed that, the Utah Utes now play in the PAC 12. That is the greatest program in the whole world. Its a harder schedule than playing in the NBA.

BYU only has to play Gonzaga. But the Utes play again teams that have men taller than redwood trees. So this game should be easy for them.

March 18, 2014 1:21 p.m.

eastcoastcoug, very funny comment, and it already worked, as seen above.

• IDC Boise, ID
    March 18, 2014 1:02 p.m.

I am actually planning on seeing the Utes play for the first time tonight. I don't have the pac network. I am curious to see their JC guard play, sounds like the real deal. Most of these teams are very similar in talent. Haven't seen the Vegas line but I would give St. Mary's the edge playing at home. My impression is that the Utes are better but they are pretty lousy on the road. Time will tell.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    March 18, 2014 12:56 p.m.

Cheyenne, WY

What? Do you have only 10 friends...or is it 14? And your study is validated by attendance at basketball games?

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 18, 2014 12:56 p.m.

Dear Saint Marys,
    Utes Basketball and it's fans are nothing like byu.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    March 18, 2014 12:45 p.m.

Check out the new USA today article
    BYU is 2.05 times more influential in the world than the U.
    LOL Pac-12 what

March 18, 2014 12:43 p.m.

St. Mary's has had some stand out players in the last few years, but talent wise is down this year. I'm more than a little surprised St. Mary's is a 4th seed and Utah a 5th seed. Maybe a nod to Utah's extremely weak nonconference schedule? If not, then difficult to explain.

The Utes are the better team, they should have no problem beating St. Mary's unless Utah has a really bad game and St. Mary's has a really great game which, I think, is very unlikely.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    March 18, 2014 12:40 p.m.

@ CB
    I see you are not following through with the wager concerning BYU in the Tournament
    ask Ken he saw.
    A large percentage of Utah fans are LDS. 62.2 percent of Utah is LDS as of 2012 Gallup poll
    I ran a multimillion dollar business in Salt Lake County where I get to know hundreds of people really well.
    You typically have Utah fans who are LDS and like Utah for whatever reason.
    Then you typically have Utah fans who don't like BYU (some LDS some not).
    Out of the first 10 people I thought of that I talked sports with 6 were BYU fans (2 not LDS) 4 were Utah fans (2 LDS).
    I have non LDS people in my family and they are avid BYU fans.
    Though it may not be as high of a percentage as what I said many Utah fans are LDS.
    Out of 8 of my best high school friends 6 of them are utah fans and LDS.
    you can tell by the reduction in attendance at Utah Basketball games what was it 33%-40%

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    March 18, 2014 12:26 p.m.

No problem with marys because we are in a prestegous conference and that means we are better and can win them pretty good when we play.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 18, 2014 12:23 p.m.

eastcoast - No, a majority of us are NOT LDS and we absolutely like our differences. Only half of the population of the state of Utah is LDS and I think you would agree 99% of non-LDS people are either Utah fans or fans of other schools(not byu). Most Utah fans are NOT lds.

And just look at the Utah football team and the byu football team - there clearly are big differences

• Archibald SLC, UT
    March 18, 2014 12:13 p.m.

Amen! That's funny

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    March 18, 2014 11:38 a.m.

Utah should be fine in this one. St. Mary's had a pretty down year and the Utes put together a remarkable season. While it is at St. Mary I expect the Utes to win this one down the stretch by five to eight points. Good Luck Utah.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    March 18, 2014 11:33 a.m.

A better article would be explaining Ute fans to St Mary's...

Ute fans: Mostly the same demographic as BYU fans - white, blond, LDS, from Utah, don't smoke or drink, etc., live mostly at home, come from the same families and have tons in common with BYU fans, but will swear up and down that they are completely different. And they try real hard to BE different, but in the end are still pretty squeaky clean conservative compared to everyone else outside Utah.

I have tons of friends and family that are Utah fans. I just crack up at all the big deal we make about how "different" we are. OK, some are, but really we have a lot in common.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 18, 2014 11:31 a.m.

These kinds of articles are needed. The sports world forgets that the WCC even exists because other than Gonzaga no team has really done much in decades.