Sports

Utah basketball: Utes get 'punched in the mouth' by Arizona in Pac-12 tournament quarterfinals

Comments

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    March 16, 2014 10:16 p.m.

@imaute...

Yep, the utes did have 21 wins... however 9 of those came in pre-season on the utes home floor against teams that had RPIs in the 200+ and 300+ range (in fact 2 of them aren't even Division 1 games)... Take those away and that's what you really had... As area 52 correctly said, "Another wasted season"... lol.

• Jeff ls Farr West, 84404
    March 16, 2014 4:01 p.m.

This is how I look at it. I have great respect for the Ute Teams. They have made great strides this year. LK is doing a great job. He has some good kids in the program. I want them to succeed. I am also a live and die cougar blue guy. That is the difference between me and Chris B. I hope Utah is successful.
    I would like to see Utah join the Mens Volleyball League. Many in the PAC 12 are involved and have been for decades. It is the best league in the country. You can be cannon fodder there also.
    Jeff

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    March 16, 2014 4:38 a.m.

@ stampederus

Utah is projected to be a 2 seed in the NIT.

• Utah, We want our money back PAC Country, CA
    March 14, 2014 5:41 p.m.

Punched in the mouth would be a major understatement. DES News was being way too kind.
    U will be headed to the WCI tourney and will be a #1 seed

• AZ Palm Coug Provo, UT
    March 14, 2014 5:20 p.m.

No one should enjoy seeing someone take that kind of loss and sooner or later every team will experience a game where nothing is working. I would love to see Utah make it into the NIT. I would love to see BYU in the NCAA, but wouldn't mind one more game between the Cougs and the Utes.

• stampederus Ephraim, UT
    March 14, 2014 4:25 p.m.

I note with interest that a BYU-Utah match up may develop in the NIT. First of all, Utah would have to male it to the NIT, which will not happen because of their cream puff non conference schedule during the exhibition season. A great confidence builder for the team but not one to impress the selection committee.

• The Anti Chris Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2014 4:15 p.m.

I know we are limited to 200 words so I simply refer everyone the the picture. It speaks 10,000 words.

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    March 14, 2014 1:19 p.m.

Utah got blown out by a far superior Arizona team. I watched this classic game and the speed and defense of the Wildcats really impressed me. Utah was never in this game. It was similar to a really good junior college team going against a top ten team and being outmanned in every position. Arizona has the talent to make it to at least the elite eight and maybe the final four.
    Utah knows how much it needs to improve to be competitive next year.It was actually a fun and interesting game to watch because Arizona played lights out.

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    March 14, 2014 12:24 p.m.

Utah added money to the Pac 12 -

The Pac 12 didn't want byu and it had nothing to do with Sunday play.

IF Notre Dame had a Sunday rule and if they wanted to join the Pac 12 - we'd invite them in a second.

We'd work around their sunday issue trust me.

The Sunday thing is just the reason byu fans tell themselves.

There are plenty of other reasons we aren't going to invite you to the Pac 12 and why the big 12 isn't calling either.

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    March 14, 2014 12:25 p.m.

Utah added money to the Pac 12 -

The Pac 12 didn't want byu and it had nothing to do with Sunday play.

We'd work around their sunday issue trust me.

The Sunday thing is just the reason byu fans tell themselves.

• Utah, We want our money back PAC Country, CA
    March 14, 2014 11:30 a.m.

20 wins maybe but not against quality teams. The pac needs to move on and get someone that will not embarrass them on national TV. BYU would represent the pac well but won't join due to Sunday play. Good for them.

• ekute Layton, UT
    March 14, 2014 11:19 a.m.

20 wins, one in which the Utes pounded byu. Nuff said.
    81-64. Nuff said.

In the next 2 years byu basketball will not get any more wins than their football team vs the Utes. Mark it down.

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    March 14, 2014 11:15 a.m.

So sad. Where or where did the good old days go in the MWC?

Oh, that's right; it was't the MWC, it was the WAC.

Or maybe not. It must have been the Skyline Conference.

Well, that's the price of getting into the PAC 8, 10 or 12 or whatever it is.

Too bad, so sad.

• Utah rules Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2014 11:07 a.m.

A picture speaks a thousand words. Oh well, next year we wll dominate the pac in both football and basketball. Chris, I will mark it down for you.

• 11 of past 12 Seattle, WA
    March 14, 2014 11:02 a.m.

71-39. Enough said.

• Reasonable thinker Seattle, WA
    March 14, 2014 11:01 a.m.

In the immortal words of chris b, "The scoreboard does not lie" or something like that.

I might add that the photo for this article also does not lie. They must have drank too much of the crimson Kool-Aid, or maybe they were doing what CB suggested and looked at the scoreboard.

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    March 14, 2014 10:48 a.m.

CA. reader
    Rocklin, CA
    It appears that the U's basketball team peaked when they played BYU, a little like their football team. You need to set your sights a little higher.

_______________

Look no further than BYU football. No interest in setting their sights a little higher than prearranged bowl games.

• Ute buster Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2014 10:37 a.m.

The utes have shown some great improvement but....for a touch of reality it is important for everyone touting a 20 win season to remember that 9 of those first wins came against the worst teams in the country and some of them were not even div 1 teams.

Can we really count them as a win? Had they played a normal preseason schedule with at least 50% of them on the road their record would have been more like 16 wins. The early cupcake wins will not be rewarded by selection committees.

• DaveKnowsWhatsUp Bloomington, IN
    March 14, 2014 9:54 a.m.

I don't believe this game is truly reflective of where the Utes are as a team right now. It's obvious that great strides have been made over the teams of the past few years. However, my concern would be if the team started to believe what the fans are touting. The 21-win season also does not reflect where this team really is. The PAC12 standings are a more realistic look, a solid .500 record, not dead last in the league, and actually hung with the big boys in several games. If I were a Ute fan, I'd have every reason to be very optimistic about the future, but I would be very cautious about using the 21 wins as an actual measure of success.

• But seriously folks! Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2014 9:42 a.m.

To borrow a line from Chris B; "Onward and upward to pac 12 glory".
    I watched the replay of the game last night and I can say that the utes laid a huge egg with 8 players with triple singles. The alleged best player in the state had 5 points and noone was in double figures. Even on a terrible night Haws gets 16-20 point. The debate as to who is the best player in the state just ended.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2014 9:35 a.m.

Sadly they missed the free throws earned from getting 'punched in the mouth'.

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    March 14, 2014 9:29 a.m.

maybe BYU and Utah will meet in the NIT.... put them together in round 1 because I am afraid if you wait for a later matchup, you will miss it

• oddman ,
    March 14, 2014 9:23 a.m.

Wouldn't it be funny if the Utes and the Cougars met in the NIT final? And everyone who follows college basketball knows this is a possibility if the Cougars bubble doesn't stay inflated through this Sunday. Now that would be a game to look forward to watching.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2014 9:20 a.m.

It was a herculean effort by the Utes. Their effort in this game alone, if not their performance, should qualify them as standard bearers for the conference. Bachynsky's near triple single and Wright and Loveridge's near double figures scoring (combined stats) is worthy of note. Coach small k should be considered for the coach of the tournament award solely on his ability to motivate the troops in this specific game.

There DesNews, tell me how that is off the topic of an article titled 'utes get punched in the mouth'.

• CougarCat Tucson, AZ
    March 14, 2014 8:41 a.m.

Cheer up, Ute fans. Your coach K is doing much better with the program than those last couple of coaches the U had....and your team will be a respected contender in the Pac next year. As for the Wildcats - this is looking to be a year where the stars are coming into alignment for them. This time they're looking to make a serious run at the big trophy - and anything less will be a let down for them. So take comfort in the fact that your guys lost to a very good team - one that's got a legit shot at being the national champs.

And maybe the Utes will get another shot at BYU in the NIT in a week or two!

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    March 14, 2014 7:29 a.m.

The last few minutes of that game was agony. Watching the Utes rally to end up with 39 points was a crushing blow that I haven't fully recovered from. To think . . a few more AZ points or a few fewer Ute points, and Chris B's integrity would've been tested. Would he have actually stuck to his self-imposed lifetime D-News ban if they'd lost by at least 36? We'll never know.

The sports gods are cruel indeed. I may never recover from this.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    March 14, 2014 7:06 a.m.

After that performance, the Utes are a shoo in for the Big Dance.

• BigSkies Issaquah, WA
    March 14, 2014 2:28 a.m.

Look, I'm not trying to rub salt in the wound, but for those of you looking for a bright spot in the Ute season by pointing out they won 21 games this year, I think you need to reflect on your non-conference schedule before making that pronouncement. The Utes played some good games this year, got some good wins, and almost got some great wins. Overall, I think the program is headed in the right direction. But a 21 win season doesn't mean much with the Ute's non-conference schedule.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    March 13, 2014 11:58 p.m.

Well, I was feeling bad after my Cougs lost. But, now,I'm feeling like the world is still
    in perfect balance. Losing and coming back a bit is nice. And BYU has some real issues to figure out. Rose needs to understand that one and done every year in the tourney ain't cutting it for most fans.

But seeing Utah get schlacked-creamed-whooped-pummeled, well, it make a bad day for a Ute fan, but a glorious day for a Coug! Go....uh...anyone playing Utah!!!

• Sampson Hurricane, UT
    March 13, 2014 11:29 p.m.

This game is hardly a reflection of the entire season. The Utes improved tremendously--I would have never predicted that they would win 20 games after last year.

As for Chris B.--I hope you learn a lesson. Win and lose graciously. Glad to have you as a fan of the Utes, but don't embarrass the Ute Nation by posting comments on BYU games. Eating crow is a dish most would avoid. Not sure if BYU will make it to the dance, but they have been in the conversation for several weeks and everyone has them on the bubble. The Utes diid outplay them in December but that was one game (not a season).

I would trade the BYU win for a trip to the tournament.

• William Wallace OGDEN, UT
    March 13, 2014 11:13 p.m.

Hey Copacetic, go check the comments before mine. I never jump on and bash the Cougar articles. Really, one statement? More like 6 or 7 of the first page. I've said before that Chris B. is a bit much, but some of us like to just cheer for the Utes, and keep it fairly positive and civil. BYU fans seem to accuse Ute fans of always commenting on their articles, but it seems like it goes both ways. I don't think I was "overly" dramatic, "get real"? Good season Utes. Tough one for the Aggies today also. Weird how some games you just come out flat. Kind of my point of the prior post. Cougar fan in Logan? Seems like a contradiction.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 13, 2014 10:55 p.m.

I said before the season started that this Arizona team has the most complete starting five in the nation. Losing Ashley in the middle of the season was a small hiccup for them, but they've put it back together since then. McConnell, while probably not an NBA talent, is a quintessential smart, unselfish college point guard. Nick Johnson is the conference POY for a reason, he can play the 1-3 positions seamlessly. Hollis-Jefferson is as athletic a wing as any in the country. Gordon may be the next Blake Griffin in the NBA, and Tarczewski is a prototype big man that got a lot more athletic this year in addition to his size. Their depth is a little suspect, but they're playing much better of late. IMO they'll be the odds on favorite in the NCAA.

WildcatFan, congrats on the win. Good luck to the Cats tomorrow and in the next few weeks!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 13, 2014 10:55 p.m.

Best thing the team can do is throw this tape away and move on. I don't suspect this group would ever play this poorly again unless they remembered they actually had before. Half-court defense wasn't half bad, but as soon as they started turning the ball over, UA's transition is just too good for about any team to stop.

• WildcatFan Grand Junction, CO
    March 13, 2014 10:32 p.m.

I know this wasn't Utah's best day by a long shot. You guys gave us more fits this year than anyone else and you are most definitely on the right track. I hope you take the NIT to finish off this year, you deserve to end well. I also think you will be in the top tier next year with this team back, along with your new class. I am happy to get the win, of course, but I'm hoping you get to celebrate as a postseason success story before it all gets locked up.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    March 13, 2014 10:27 p.m.

I feel your pain, Utah fans.
    Sometimes your team goes out and lays an egg.
    BYU did against Gonzaga and Utah did against a red hot Arizona team.
    It happens.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    March 13, 2014 8:34 p.m.

I feel bad and disappointed for the Utes, but I feel even worse for Chris B. I have a feeling his vacation is turning into a nightmare he didn't expect. I must admit I didn't expect what happened either as I totally believed they were much better than what I saw today. Too bad!

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    March 13, 2014 8:32 p.m.

Uteology
    East Salt Lake City, Utah

@CougarSunDevil

DN should approach this with the "glass is half full" approach. I would title the article "Utah misses PAC-12 Championship game by two games by losing to Arizona in their PAC-12 record setting performance."

At least BYU made it interesting in the second half of the Gonzaga game.

-------------

Good for them, because they certainly didn't do in the second half of the Utah game. Well that is until we showed mercy at the end:

2nd Half - 1:26 Utah 77 - 55 Go ahead and pump your chest since the last time utah beat byu in a basketball game on either court was in 2007,but apparently you were either not born then or just chose to have selective memory.

• Sweater In Rafters Franklin, IN
    March 13, 2014 8:09 p.m.

if someone had of told me at the first of the season that we would have 20 wins and wins over byu, ucla, ASU, Cal and play the other teams close...and MAYBE go to the NIT...I would have questioned that...but most of it happened.

Today was a disaster...and the only silver lining is that Young probabaly hurt himself in the draft so he should come back, unless he likes Europe. Loveridge needs to work in the off season or he will be taken over by youngsters next year.

Big improvements this year...I am happy...was sickened by the performance today but one game does not a season make...

Go Utes...

• Mr. Caveman Omaha, NE
    March 13, 2014 7:54 p.m.

William, please. That nonsense is ridiculous. Look at the horrible comments after BYU loses. Those are 5 year old comments by your precious kids....er people. Utah got demolished, sent to the woodshed....of course the rival is going to laugh at that. BYU made it to the final and only lost by 11. Utah gets annihilated in their second game.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    March 13, 2014 7:53 p.m.

I wouldn't read too much into this one game, but it is a good measuring stick on how far the U has to go to truly be a top echelon team in the PAC-12.

Utah can be justifiably proud of the progress they've made this year and if Wright stays they should be better next year. And if they continue to play good solid defense, they'll be able to stay in most games.

That said, most PAC-12 teams look past the U and thus don't play their best against them (though the defense does have a lot to do with that). As the U continues to improve and is viewed as more of a threat in the league, they will get the attention of contending teams in the conference and beating those teams will be even more difficult.

The good news is that only small incremental improvement will have its rewards. In a conference that will likely continue to get 5 to 7 teams into the tournament, a tournament birth next year may be within reach.

Best of luck to the team.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    March 13, 2014 7:42 p.m.

Takes the sting out of the Gonzaga loss.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 13, 2014 7:20 p.m.

@CougarSunDevil

-------------

And here you are bragging about your rival's big win over Utah. Assuming you are a ASU fan, which would imply that your rival is Arizona.

I can't ever recall bragging about BYU's big win on some other teams thread.

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    March 13, 2014 7:08 p.m.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 13, 2014 7:08 p.m.

@CougarSunDevil

At least BYU made it interesting in the second half of the Gonzaga game.

-------------

2nd Half - 1:26 Utah 77 - 55

• redthunder Ogden, UT
    March 13, 2014 6:51 p.m.

Oh....my....gosh....

• rhappahannock Washington, DC
    March 13, 2014 6:49 p.m.

As a Cougar fan (and a UA grad to boot) I want to congratulate the Utes on an excellent season, and doing much better than last year. Looking at statistics, there is variation in performance every game. Sometimes you combine one of your poor performances with another teams best performance, and perhaps this happened for you today. Better luck in the NIT, and be happy for the good times you had this year.

• Legal Salt Lake City, UT
    March 13, 2014 6:47 p.m.

The ONLY good thing about this game is that we don't have to listen to Chris B. spew!!

• IA Cougar West Des Moines, IA
    March 13, 2014 6:39 p.m.

To 99% of Utah fans..it was a tough loss. As some of you say, sometimes your team just comes out a lays an egg...like BYU did against Utah this year. It happens to all teams and it happened to Utah today. I love the progress Coach K is making with Utah and I cheer for all teams from Utah. So congrats on a 20+ win season. Coach Rose is a great coach and a wonderful role model to all. We are lucky to have great coaches leading our teams.

Utah has a bright future and I wish them well. I simply do not understand all the disrespect on both sides of what used to be a rivalry. Any objective fan on either side would have to see that BYU or Utah would struggle a LOT vs the Pac12 until such time as the obvious recruiting advantages kicked in. The biggest mistake the Pac12 made was not packaging BYU and Utah together. That would have made things very fun for years to come. Oh well. Most know why that didn't happen.

• twill1987 Provo, UT
    March 13, 2014 6:26 p.m.

Chirs B?? ... Silence, beautiful silence.

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    March 13, 2014 6:13 p.m.

By the way that was Chris B saying he would never post on another story if the utes lost by 36. 4 more points!

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    March 13, 2014 5:53 p.m.

Brutal game, GREAT SEASON.

I was disappointed that the team didn't compete, but given their youth, I would expect them to grow and put the work in so that doesn't happen again.

Congrats to Coach K, his staff and the team for building a product I as a huge Ute fan am very proud of, and very excited about the future.

Go UTES!!

• Copacetic Logan, UT
    March 13, 2014 5:53 p.m.

@ William Wallace:

Get real. Literally one guy mentioned the overall record between Utah and BYU over the last decade or so and you respond with "Once again, the 12 year old like comments come pouring out of Cougar nation." Wow. That's really "pouring" it on. What a total exaggeration and funny way of trying to deflect from that total embarrassing blowout loss today!

OK. Forget that single 12 year comment from "Cougar Nation" and simply tell us when was the last time the Utes beat BYU in any game away from the Huntsman Center, and/or what Utah's record is against Dave Rose's teams.

• Missouri loves BYU Lebanon, MO
    March 13, 2014 5:48 p.m.

let's see, if we could describe Utah's loss to Arizona with a movie title... would it be Delta Farce, Say Uncle, Defenseless or Lemony Snicket's a series of unfortunate events?

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    March 13, 2014 5:47 p.m.

So close! This thread came from another story about the utes. I quote:

"worf,

If Utah loses by as much as you say I'll never post on a single des news article for the rest of my life

Utah has a very good chance at winning.

And then we'll be dancing.

And guess what? If we get in we could be the team that bounces byu OUT.

LOL"

Worf predicted utah would lose by 36. He was so close. 4 more points!

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    March 13, 2014 5:38 p.m.

Its great to see the progress made up at the U the last couple of years. Coach K has them on a great path. This is just a loss along the way. Better days ahead.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    March 13, 2014 5:29 p.m.

I had noticed this morning that Lundardi actually had Utah knocking on the door of the NCAA tournament. So I was curious to see how they performed against Arizona today. Even with a loss, a competitive game could have potentially moved them up a bit closer to getting a bid.

This is not what they needed. Bad time to fall flat on your faces, Utes, since we all know you couldn't afford it.

Good luck in the NIT. You might just see BYU there as well, since it seems the prognosticators are over-blowing the Collinsworth injury. Might the selection committee over-emphasize it as well?

• Objectified Tooele, UT
    March 13, 2014 5:24 p.m.

How come Chris B is nowhere to be found? Maybe it has something to do with another one of his infamous "mark it down" predictions. Besides predicting the wrong winner, this latest one was off by only 35 points in his predicted point spread. And Utah was only 29 points short of his predicted score for them.

And to think some Ute fans were making fun of BYU's loss loss the other night. What goes around comes around. And sometimes at an even worse level.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    March 13, 2014 5:10 p.m.

After all the pre-game hype from the loudest elements of the crimson crew--aided and abetted by Coach K (as in a baseball term)--I was amazed at the disappearance of "the two best players in Utah," and the totally lost looks on the Utah players and coaches as they endured this beat down.

Contrary to what some have suggested the Utes were beat 2 minutes into the second-half. If you can re-run it pay close attention to their body language, even ignoring their facial tells.

Hope they can fix-the-wreck before the NIT calls. Perhaps they can match BYU's final four in the NIT of last year. Good luck, Utes!

• Elk Hair Caddis Sandy, UT
    March 13, 2014 5:03 p.m.

Congrats Utah on a turnaround season. Should be a great game Provo next year. Go Cougars.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    March 13, 2014 5:01 p.m.

@Eddie
    "They can't say, " wait til next year"! Because next year will be just as bad if not worse."

They return almost everyone and they have a top 40 recruiting class coming in while they've made massive gains the past two years under Krystkowiak. The most logical assumption is that they'll be better next year.

• William Wallace OGDEN, UT
    March 13, 2014 5:00 p.m.

Once again, the 12 year old like comments come pouring out of Cougar nation. Some games you just flat get blown out. Nothing to explain. Sports are funny that way. To those who are saying it's a wasted year, well, I have to disagree. I think the program is in good shape, with good things on the horizon. Other than Chris B., who said the Ute program had arrived. It's a work in progress, and I like what has happened the last two years. I really like the guys coming back. This coaching staff is starting to put the pieces together. Thanks for a great year, and good luck in the NIT. I will be supporting you just like always.

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    March 13, 2014 4:59 p.m.

ImaUteFan
    West Jordan, UT

Area52 - I wouldn't call this a wasted year. The Utes have 21 wins (the first 20 win season since 2008-09) and they will likely be heading to the NIT tournament.

Oh, and there was that 81 - 64 win.OH and what about all the BYUwins over utah since 2007 the cougars own u in bsasketball but as most utes you cant see past your crimson colored glasses.

• RealBlue Holladay, UT
    March 13, 2014 4:40 p.m.

@ImaUteFan

Be careful about bringing out the 81-64 because we can respond asking you what the record between the two teams is for the past decade?

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    March 13, 2014 4:34 p.m.

The following list of teams scored more points against Arizona than Utah just did.

Cal Poly
    Long Beach State
    Fair Dickinson (not sure which division they're in)
    Rhode Island
    Drexel
    New Mexico State
    Southern
    Northern Arizona

Quite the company to be in. Ok, Ute fans don't get upset. I'm just playing around with you guys. You're team was a lot better this year. Something to build on. I love the Ute fans bragging about the Utah win over BYU because it only shows how relevant BYU is still to Utah. If BYU was so inferior, it wouldn't constantly be brought up.

Good luck in the NIT, I can see you going pretty far as long as this loss doesn't demoralize your team. I don't think it will. Arizona is #4 for a reason.

• Alpine Coug Alpine, UT
    March 13, 2014 4:24 p.m.

What is it with Utah Men's basketball teams (USU/UU/BYU) who all fell totally flat in the first half of their tourney games? Is is lack of preparation or fatigue?

Nonetheless, congrats to all Utah teams for excellent seasons. Hopefully at least three Utah teams will make the Big Dance-Weber/UVU/BYU.

Bottom line: kudos to coach K and his running Utes for a vast improvement over the last three years. 20+ wins is an amazing feat. And hopefully a long run in the NIT.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    March 13, 2014 4:17 p.m.

Utes made a huge improvement this year over last. Let's hope they keep improving!

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    March 13, 2014 4:05 p.m.

Oh, and there was that 81 - 64 win.

• Hoosier87 American Fork, UT
    March 13, 2014 4:05 p.m.

That was embarrassing to watch - nothing good whatsoever came from that 2 hours of my life.

@Cougarsundevil

That was funny - well done.

I am glad however to see the improvement going on up at the U. I think both BYU and UofU basketball are going to be fun to watch over the next few years - people (fans) forget that college sports is cyclical. You have good recruiting classes some years and then other years not so good.

I for one am excited to watch over the next 3-5 years cause there's gonna be some good basketball played in the state of Utah!

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    March 13, 2014 3:59 p.m.

Half a game and they can only score 13 points? That is a record that will be remembered for a long, long time. And the bad thing about it is that the Utes can do nothing about it! They can't say, " wait til next year"! Because next year will be just as bad if not worse.

• Area 52 Tooele, UT
    March 13, 2014 3:50 p.m.

Utah didn't have a chance in this game. Looks like another wasted year!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    March 13, 2014 3:48 p.m.

Ouch!! That one hurts. I think was the only game this year that my Utes have been totally blown out. Like I said, they needed to play better in this one than they did against Washington, but I guess they didn't get the message. Hopefully they can regroup for some wins in the NIT.

• Utes home for the holidays Sandy, UT
    March 13, 2014 3:47 p.m.

I thought BYU's loss to Gonzaga was bad. Arizona's superiority to Gonzaga doesn't quite explain a 32 point loss, and it really wasn't even that close. Oh well, by making it to 39 points I guess we can consider the game a success after only scoring 13 in the first half - another round of stickers for everyone, its on me.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    March 13, 2014 3:47 p.m.

At least BYU made it interesting in the second half of the Gonzaga game.

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    March 13, 2014 3:46 p.m.

Glad I thought the game was later so I could miss this mess.