Family

Is 'The Lego Movie' anti-capitalist?

Comments

• raybies Layton, UT
    March 17, 2014 5:46 a.m.

I disagree that this had anything to do with politics. As you discover (MOVIE SPOILERS FOLLOW), the story is through the eyes of a kid who enjoys playing with his father's legos. His father spends a lot of time busy in his own interests. The story is about a little boy's cry for attention from his father. He wants to be like his father, to enjoy the things his father enjoys, and at the same time is a kid who just wants to be free to do things his way.

When I was a kid I did not understand why my dad was always off on business trips all the time. My mother complained a lot about it, and I tended to see things from her perspective. I wanted a connection with my Dad, but we were different. I could completely relate to the real conflict in the Lego Movie story. I could see why the boy decided to make Lord BusinessPlan the enemy... to me it was about a kid creating a story for why his dad's excuses for not spending time with him. I did the same thing as a boy.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    March 14, 2014 12:02 p.m.

I don't think he got it. Yes the villian is named "Big Business", but the movie is more about anti-Totalitarinism. The villian is the leader of the Lego world, and everybody has to fit into a mold, follow the rules, and do exactly as instructed.

The people who save the day are the creative people who refuse to fit into the roles dictated by the government.

• Levin Reno, NV
    March 14, 2014 9:14 a.m.

On "The Lego Movie", I had to laugh at the "anti-business" accusations. I could have imagined Clayton Christensen of Harvard Business School as a script consultant. So much of the theme was straight out of his ideas on disruptive innovation and "How Will You Measure Your Life?"

• ray vaughn Ogden, UT
    March 14, 2014 8:33 a.m.

Mr. Bennett seems to be searching for things that offend him. Perhgaps, since his companions did not notice the reference, it was not a slight but just part of a song in a play.

• BYR West Bountiful, UT
    March 14, 2014 8:25 a.m.

Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

• slcdenizen t-ville, UT
    March 14, 2014 7:26 a.m.

"But what if the filmmakers really were trying to use “The Lego Movie” to brainwash our kids into hating free markets?"

This is the most telling aspect of the article, begging the question, at which point in a child's natural development do they learn to respect the inerrency of the free markets? And why would a cartoon criticizing adult theories qualify as "brainwashing"? I used to believe our newspapers were a source for challenging our preconceived notions of the world and enlightening us to alternative viewpoints, not simply reinforcing our existing beliefs and prejudices. How naive I was...

• UTAH Bill Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2014 6:51 a.m.

Lest we forget, a book we know as The Bible is not supportive of Capitalism either. And yet we encourage our children to read it often.