Utah

Grand jury indicts Moab man for theft of fossilized dinosaur track

Comments

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    March 13, 2014 7:35 a.m.

This guy should get a fine and a good talking to by the judge. That's all. He shouldn't have done it, but it's not worth destroying a human life over. Especially on a first offense. I hope common sense will prevail. I have no doubt he has learned his lesson already.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    March 13, 2014 7:07 a.m.

Mike Noel will come to his rescue.

• dale richards Green River, Utah
    March 13, 2014 7:05 a.m.

It is not OK to vandalize a foot print but OK to
    Vandalize in a state park. The punishment should
    Be the same wouldn't you think.

• scorsi Farmington, UT
    March 12, 2014 6:28 p.m.

Now I'm wondering if fossil hunting is now illegal. They cited a 2009 law.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    March 12, 2014 5:59 p.m.

PGVikingDad

No one is saying that this man's life isn't priceless. But what this man did was extremely selfish. And it does affect generations of people who love studying about the origins of the earth, and paleontology in particular. I don't know what it is with some of these people lately, just like the two selfish goblin-toppers. Why can't these people just leave these priceless artifacts alone?

I think what the courts are trying to do is send a message. I'm sure the man won't serve the full 45 years or whatever. But these kinds of acts need to be stopped. And they won't be stopped until a message is sent out that these destructive acts won't be tolerated by our state.

• PGVikingDad Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 12, 2014 3:52 p.m.

Forty-five years for a *fossil*? Really? I'm a huge supporter of the preservation of our natural resources and a great respecter of natural history, but we need to employ some common sense, here. The earth's crust contains countless BILLIONS of fossils, the vast majority of which will be destroyed by natural process without catching so much as a glance from the scientific community, and not one of which is worth sacrificing the full potential of a human life. Now, I don't suspect he'll serve anywhere near the rest of his life in jail - because that's what a 45-year sentence would be - but the mere possibility shouldn't even be on the table. A fine and even some jail time, sure, but...really? For a fossilized footprint that has already been observed and documented? This artifact is certainly not worthless, but neither is it priceless. This man's life *is*.