Cyclists killed in early morning crash shared passion for life with friends, family

• Sethdawg Fate, TX
    March 18, 2014 10:13 a.m.

As a biker it is recommended that everyone ride in the street.

• mormonmama West Jordan, UT
    March 15, 2014 8:48 p.m.

I know one of these men personally. These were seasoned, experienced cyclists who took safety seriously and used proper lights and reflective gear at all times, as well as obeying all traffic laws. I don't know what happened that morning, but to try and place blame on them is completely insensitive given the outcome of this tragedy.

• Pentle SLC, UT
    March 15, 2014 2:28 p.m.

There have been a lot of comments that appear, in general, to fault cyclists for the dangerous driving conditions of the road. I find this difficult to comprehend because the next article on this website is about an increase in motorists driving the wrong way on the freeway. Sure...bicycles are the danger.

• VIDAR Murray, UT
    March 13, 2014 4:20 p.m.

The fact is that cars hit into other cars all the time. And the other cars are more visible, and more of a threat than a bicycle. Kind of like saying I had the right of way, so I did not stop. Best thing is to assume everyone else is going to break the law, and hit into you, and do things to prevent this. A cyclist can try and take their lives into their own hands on the highway. Best thing to do is not bicycle on main roads. I drive a car on a main road, and do not trust anyone to drive right, or not hit into me.

• macnkat BEAUMONT, CA
    March 13, 2014 1:19 p.m.

Given the experience of these two cyclists it makes me wonder if they turned in front of the truck because the truck didn't have headlights on. There is no way that both of these riders with their obvious skills would just make a bad judgement...especially both of them.

• West Coast1 Secane, PA
    March 13, 2014 1:13 p.m.

"You accept the risk when you go on the street with your bike, so please be mindful of that risk and ensure proper margins between yourselves and the roads! Riding "on the road" rather than "in the bike lane" might make you more "noticeable" but it makes maneuvering around you so much more difficult and that much more dangerous for yourselves."

Likewise when you get in your car you need to realize that you are in control of a deadly weapon. Whether you hit a bike, pedestrian, or another car you have the potential to end another persons life. People don't take this responsibility seriously and tens of thousands of people die every year in car crashes.

On another note...Do you want to change the world-Ride a bike. Do you want to get in shape and lower the obesity epidemic-Ride a bike. Do you want cleaner air to breath-Ride a bike. You can do it-I am doing it.

• TripleCrown Santa Ana, CA
    March 13, 2014 12:35 p.m.

As a cyclist who commutes 25 miles round trip to work, I mourn for these two fine men and fellow cyclists. My SINCERE condolences to their family and friends.

Google maps shows 2100 North Redwood Road in Lehi to be a flat intesection of 3 lane roads in each direction with dedicated turn lanes. Even with if the cyclists had timed the light, they would only have been going 25mph max. If they ran the light, that's another matter and was a poor judgement that cost them their lives. It wouldn't have mattered how much reflective clothing and lights they were using. Its possible both they and the truck going the opposite direction swung wide and collided as the both turned left. If the truck ran a red light while the cyclists had a green to turn left, the driver would be at fault. I, too, hope the details come out as I like to learn from each cycling accident I read about.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    March 13, 2014 12:10 p.m.

My heart goes out to the families and friends of these two good men. Same for the driver. He must feel terrible.

I ride my bicycle almost daily here in the Seattle area. I frequently ride on a four lane road that has left turn lanes in some places, but no bicycle lanes. I ride as far to the right as I can get. In high traffic periods I ride on the sidewalk because I would rather be alive than legal. My bicycle is lit up like a Christmas tree with flashing lights.

I have been hit by mirrors by people who refuse to change lanes to pass. They have no clue where their car is on the road. I have had motorists come up behind me, swerve at me and honk. I guess they want to see a fat man who has had knee replacement surgery on both knees go down.

I try to accommodate cars. I try to keep out of their way. I wish that more drivers would spend some time on a bicycle so they can see this issue from a different perspective.

• Bill Phillips Vernal, UT
    March 13, 2014 11:43 a.m.

I agree with benjoginko's assessment of where to ride.

I'm just an "amateur" rider, and I never ride in 55 MPH (or higher) roads. Where I ride (on county roads, out here in the Uintah Basin) if you ride far off to the side, cars do not give you any leeway AT ALL. They do not slow down, or fade left to avoid you. They don't vary their speed so as to not pass you and a car going the other direction simultaneously. I have found it safest to ride right out in the middle of the lane, with bright, reflective clothing, lights on front and back, and reflective tape on my helmet, so they HAVE to treat you like a car (slow down and pass you safely and intelligently).

But I don't ride on 55 MPH highways. :) I just avoid those.

Bless the families of these two men, and the poor driver who will have to live with this for the rest of his life.

• mrjj69 bountiful, UT
    March 13, 2014 11:41 a.m.

there are many accidents and deaths right after DST . This antiquated law needs to be overturned.

• Trudere Provo, UT
    March 13, 2014 11:13 a.m.

"It was dark at the time of the collision, only days after the switch to daylight time, which may have contributed to the collision...." (Lt.)Paul said. It's not clear whether this is an accurate paraphrase. Much as I hate to defend DST, it is irrelevant here. If it's dark, it's dark. That's why vehicle lights were invented and are required. The sun pays no attention to clocks.

Sad for all involved.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    March 13, 2014 11:08 a.m.

Every year, right after the time change, there is always incidents such as this involving early morning while it is still dark auto-pedestrian/cyclist collisions.

These two men are very quality people. They will be missed.

• sid 6.7 Holladay, UT
    March 13, 2014 11:03 a.m.

The cyclists want the motorist's to understand they are no different than a car and should be treated as such. I agree with that statement however, I live near the S curve on 2700 east in Holliday and that area seems to be a mecca for evening and weekend cyclists. Never once in my four years living there and driving the S curve twice a day have I seen a cyclist follow the speed limit in the curve or stop at the West Stop sign. I almost ran over a cyclist running the stop sign at what appeared to be 25 MPH or more, speed limit is 15 MPH through the curve. The light on 45th and Wasatch seems to be the same deal. To the bikers on the East side of the road it matters not if the light is red. My point is this, if you want to talk about sharing the road you also need to talk about obeying the laws.

I'm sorry for the loss of these two men and I pray their families can find peace in this time of need.

Godspeed Gentlemen and may you Rest In Peace.

• doingmyway Salem, UT
    March 13, 2014 11:00 a.m.

It is well and good to know or rights as a cyclist, but more important to make ourselves visible to everyone. After all we are the ones that are the most vulnerable. Dark clothes on a dark night with no lights spells disaster. There are rear laser lane markers, and headlights made by Cree that light the road in front as much as car lights, and all for under $50.00. so how much is your safety worth?

• neece Logan, UT
    March 13, 2014 10:18 a.m.

sorry but I agree with John in NJ... a lot of these comments have been appalling. Most of the comments have been about who has the right away. Blah...Blah...blah.. When the focus, prayers and silent contemplation about what all three of the families are going through. I hope your faith in the Lord can get you through this because they were called to an important mission on the other side. What about the Driver? How can you live knowing you killed two people, so three families were impacted that day. Instead of bickering about right of way, or who did what, why and when, go to work and help those families any way you can.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    March 13, 2014 9:41 a.m.

A couple points of clarification for those who don't understand the law or cycling.

1. The reason cyclists don't ride on the sidewalk is it's illegal. Yep, you heard that right - riding your bike on the sidewalk will get you a ticket. That's because the sidewalk is off limits to vehicles and a bicycle is a vehicle.

2. The reason cyclists ride near the white line instead of on the shoulder right of the white line is because of debris. Car tires push gravel and trash out of the lane onto the shoulder. If you ride through that stuff on your bike, you're guaranteed to go down. So cyclists usually ride as close to the line as we dare because there's less debris so less of a chance we'll crash. Trust me, we don't want to be any closer to traffic than we have to be. If there were clean pavement on the shoulder, we'd be on it. But given the realities that confront us, we'd rather take our chances close to traffic than on the shoulder. That right there says something about the state of our roads.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    March 13, 2014 9:32 a.m.

Interesting comments here regarding the cyclist community. First, my condolences to the victim here. Such a tragic stop to a life.

What I see each and every day here in the northwest, cyclists never stop at stop signs. They are usually riding side by side rather than behind each other, when a full lane of the shoulder exists. The cyclist community want motor vehicles to conform to their riding patterns. You can't expect to keep the same "speed limit" on a busy road and want to ride on a lane of the road.

Not an easy problem to fix, but we all need to follow the rules that exist and the rules are there for automotive traffic.

• Prep Fanatic Los Angeles, CA
    March 13, 2014 6:04 a.m.

I too am an avid cyclist, and am also appalled at the ignorance of some motor vehicle operators. As cyclists, we do have a right to be on the road, and it is every drivers responsibility to give at least a minimum of three feet of clearance to bike riders. So many people are uneducated with the share the road concept, and that puts all of us riders at risk. There are also many bike riders that are taking un-necessary risks while riding as well. Everyone just needs to pay attention to their surroundings while either riding a bike or driving a car. I watched the news report last night about this crash, and these riders turned left in front of the truck, who was heading north on redwood road. The speed limit there is 55 miles per hour. It was also dark at around 6a, when the accident occurred. Just a horrible tragedy that didn't need to happen. Everyone pay attention. Car drivers, watch out for bikes! Bike riders, obey the laws of the road, and realize that cars are much bigger and faster than you.

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 13, 2014 5:32 a.m.

I hope the results of the investigation will be published so we can know more of the circumstances of the accident. Many of the comments seem to center on "right of way" issues.

As an older person who rides a bike in the city now and then I try to stay to the right, but do notice that people who drive do not watch out for non-cars (bike riders) and seem to be ignorant that I, too, have a right to be on the road.

A sad day and time for so many people.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    March 13, 2014 5:27 a.m.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of these young men.

As an avid cyclist, I know how to navigate the road and deal with every traffic situation. And, I have no doubt that these men, with all their experience, knew how to do that as well. This is why I am so curious what in the world happened here. Surely they did not assume that the truck could see them. No experienced cyclist ever does that, even in broad daylight. I hope we get some details on exactly how this happened.

• Grammy3 SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    March 13, 2014 1:48 a.m.

The first thought that I had go through my mind when I read this was how awful this is for the families that these two men left behind. Then I had a thought that Now They are Both Serving another Mission. With them being so involved with the Youth I am sure that they will not be forgotten but missed by so many people. May the Lord comfort those who they both leave behind

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    March 13, 2014 1:16 a.m.

Re benjoginko

Don't see your logic, but its your life.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    March 13, 2014 1:09 a.m.

Re john in nj

'Can't cyclists be legal and alive '?

It would be great if what was right in the legal sense was also right in reality.

• Reflectere Utah, UT
    March 12, 2014 11:47 p.m.

This is no reflection on the accident discussed in this article - but addresses some of the comments made here.

It is a fact that when there is a collision the cyclist loses. Cyclists may have "just as much" of a "right" to the roads as automobiles do, but cyclists should recall that it is far more of a risk factor for them than the automobiles for whom the roads are primarily designed. I've noticed this is especially so here in Utah vs other states where bike lanes are much more defined.

Bikers who insist on "riding the white line" put themselves at an even greater risk and make it that much more difficult for automobiles to maneuver around them - especially considering some of the high speed roads here in Utah. You accept the risk when you go on the street with your bike, so please be mindful of that risk and ensure proper margins between yourselves and the roads! Riding "on the road" rather than "in the bike lane" might make you more "noticeable" but it makes maneuvering around you so much more difficult and that much more dangerous for yourselves.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    March 12, 2014 9:34 p.m.

A tragedy and condolences to the families. As an avid cyclist it's something that's always in the back of your mind. Let the details come out before pointing any fingers.

• West Coast1 Secane, PA
    March 12, 2014 9:19 p.m.

I ride my bike to work here in Philadelphia, PA. I was hit by a car in 2011 (it was a much lower impact collision). We can't be too quick to judge who was at fault here. We need to pray for those involved, both the families left behind and the driver.

In general cars need to be MUCH more careful around cyclists. Bicycles have just as much right to the road as cars do. Too often I get passed by a car or a car makes an aggressive move because they don't want to slow down and wait for a good time to pass. I pay attention and I rarely cause car commuters any delay in their travels. Please slow down and be careful around bicycles. If there is a collision we ALWAYS loose.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2014 8:48 p.m.

Those of us who are cyclists are for the most part much more accomodating of other cyclists when we drive, that is the general driving public. We are, because so many of us of had close calls with autos. I don't know either one of these guys, but I feel sad, so sad, for them. Cyclists have rights on the road!

• SemperFiSweetheart Orem, UT
    March 12, 2014 8:46 p.m.

Utah law gives a bicyclist the right to use the road just like any other motor vehicle. A Share the Road program was developed because of the importance of motor vehicle drivers understanding that bicyclists can be on the road as well. Some of these comments clearly demonstrate that several people are not aware of these laws. Search for Share the Road Utah and you will find a link with an educational video. Obviously, this is an ongoing problem and people need to educate themselves to help keep everyone safe.

• John in NJ Princeton, NJ
    March 12, 2014 8:19 p.m.

I am appalled by the several insensitive comments! cjb, you suggest that cyclists should ride on the sides of the roads or on the sidewalks, however, cyclists do need to cross the road to make turns and sidewalks do not exist adjacent to every road, and probably are not next to what appear to be rural roads in Lehi. Can't cyclists be both legal and alive?!? Everyone on the roadway needs to take safety seriously. I just hope that everyone is doing their part. It probably would not hurt motorists to spend some time on a bike and see things from a different perspective.

• Talon9 Oceanside, CA
    March 12, 2014 8:06 p.m.

These cyclist didn't get clipped from the rear. From my understanding they hit the truck head on turning left. Left turning vehicles including cyclist must yield to all other vehicles. I don't know that road but they were probably going close to 30-40 mph when they hit that truck and both probably didn't see each other. FYI bikes in many instances do have access to the entire lane. Utah needs to provide better designated bike lanes for cyclist. My condolences to all involved in this tragedy. It seems I read of too many deaths each year from cyclist in Utah.

• benjoginko Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 12, 2014 6:56 p.m.

At CJB

As a cyclist I've found it's safer to actually ride my bike in the lane of traffic rather than off on the side of the road. If you are on the side of the road the cars are less likely to see you and hit you.

• play by the rules SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    March 12, 2014 6:55 p.m.

Agree with Shimlau. I am sure the driver cannot be consoled nor can the family who lost loved ones. I know we are to share the road with bikers, however, there have been many instances when I have been driving up the canyons and noticed bicyclists swerving from side to side and stopping the flow of traffic. I have often worried that they were going to swerve into me.

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    March 12, 2014 5:59 p.m.

Condolences to all involved in this tragic incident. I also have seen many bicycle riders riding on the road where the speed limit is 55mph or over. I've seen more than I can count that are riding IN the lane of traffic, not just close to it. It scares me to think that one of these days I may crest the hill going 50mph and there will be a bicycle in my lane, going less than 15mph. That's a sure recipe for disaster.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    March 12, 2014 4:40 p.m.

If you ride a bicycle ride the side of the road or on the side walk. (Would you rather be legal or alive)? All the time I see bicycles in the lane of traffic where cars need to swerve to get around them. In a sense you are putting your life in the hands of others (non professionals) to do the right thing so that you don't be killed or severely injured for life.

• JT4 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2014 2:45 p.m.

The speed limit there is 55mph.

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    March 12, 2014 11:59 a.m.

Thos bicycles are seriously mangled! How fast was the driver going?
    So sad for all involved.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    March 12, 2014 11:34 a.m.

This is just awful.