Sports

BYU report card vs. Gonzaga: Cougars struggle in all facets of the game in a tough loss

Comments

• bigirish OREM, UT
    March 13, 2014 4:05 p.m.

Coaching grade? Adjustments grade? Individual performances grade? What happened? Why do we always seem to struggle in tourney games on national tv? Or maybe the Zags were just that much better and caused us to stink. We had no answer? Or the answer was there but we just couldn't find it. I put a lot on the coaches for that! We showed little composure and a lot of shakiness, as hard as the effort may have been. I don't want to see us go out in a first round, playing like that.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    March 12, 2014 4:33 p.m.

CougarCat,

I guarantee the Bulldogs watched the LMU game.

Sports Are Great,

You are totally right about both teams. Each have weaknesses that they need to work on. I do like a team that stresses defense more, because it's something players can still do well even when their shot has left them. I learned this watching Rick Majerus use less talented players to get to the NCAA title game by stressing defensive fundamentals and sound execution.

All that being said, I am impressed with Tyler Haws. His shot was off the entire tournament and yet he still found a way to score right around his average by getting to the free throw line. He was perfect on free throws the last two games and that is something like defense that a player can be consistent on every games.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    March 12, 2014 4:20 p.m.

Slater Martin circa 1958: "Defense is 90% desire."

I've seen teams with limited talent and physical disadvantages consistently take "great" teams to the wood shed. Of course, these undersized teams had that "desire," played smart, and executed on the fundamentals (i.e., One of my coaches: "If you can't 'see' your man, the ball, and the basket at all times you are out of position.").

BYU will never have the best over-all talent, but with sound coaching and kids with the smarts and motivation, they can be giant-beaters. Rose needs to make some staff changes because the young men aren't getting what they need.

P.S. Slater Martin was a 5'10" play making guard with Bob Petit on the St. Louis Hawks franchise in the NBA. He was an All-Star and played on four or five NBA championship teams.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2014 11:14 a.m.

MormonUte, as a byu fan I agree with you. I do think it is a little bit of a give and take though. Hardly ever do you find a great offensive team that is also a great defensive team. Simply due to personnel and amount of energy it requires to be great on both ends, coaches have to pick and choose a little bit where the focus will be. Also, a team that plays as fast as byu does will naturally give up more points on defense because there are more possessions.

I'm not suggesting byu doesn't need to work on defense - they absolutely do. I'm just saying a byu fan could easily tell Utah they should have focused more on offense and then maybe their offensive problems wouldn't have led to some of those losses. Neither byu or Utah have been overly impressive this year.

• CougarCat Tucson, AZ
    March 12, 2014 11:04 a.m.

Mormon Ute is right on....BYU's defense has been soft all year. And this is from an admitted Cougar fan. A replay of the LMU tournament game from Sat. shows a number of easy buckets for Lions late in the game - a game the Cougs could've won by over 20, but didn't. Maybe Mark Few & staff were watching that one too?

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    March 12, 2014 8:52 a.m.

Not trying to rub salt in a wound, but one thing the Cougars could learn from the Utes and some other teams is that when you're struggling offensively tough defense can keep the game close enough to still give you a chance. The Utes have had a lot of close losses this season in games when they have struggled offensively. BYU hasn't been really tough defensively for most of the Dave Rose era.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    March 12, 2014 7:36 a.m.

Everyone has defeats. The best people and teams learn from their defeats and improves. I personally have learned far more from my defeats in life than from my victories. Go Cougars, continue to grow but stay humble!

• Born in Provo Logan, UT
    March 12, 2014 12:58 a.m.

Cougs dominated on the boards, and were respectable at the free throw line. They just turned it over too many times and did not shoot well. 6 assists for the entire game is a glaring stat. Shot selection?

• OC Fan Orange County, CA
    March 12, 2014 12:48 a.m.

Grade inflation...