Opinion

Obama shows his funny side while promoting Obamacare

Comments

• Bob K portland, OR
    March 13, 2014 3:09 a.m.

A-- If you didn't like it, you probably felt like most of us felt when we saw Romney talk about the 47%.

B-- I still have trouble with the DN allowing rough and rude comments about this President, while anything I write that suggests that lds might be wrong (they are human beings, no?) comes back rejected.

• Sven Morgan, UT
    March 13, 2014 2:35 a.m.

Look, I know this is hard pill for you leftists to swallow, but the fact is, Obamacare is an abject disaster. Socialized Medicine always is. And to those who are trying in vain to blame the GOP for Obamacare’s woes, please remember, not one Republican voted for this. Speaker Pelosi rammed this through the House with little or no time for members to carefully read this huge piece of legislation, that would take over 1/6 of our economy.

Surely you remember Speaker Pelosi’s words regarding ACA: “But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of controversy.” Well, now we’re finding out what’s in it, and it isn’t good. If it were as good as you folks on the Left say it is, Dear Leader wouldn’t have to keep postponing, delaying, and outright lying about. I mean if it’s so good, will help so many, and will save so much money, why all the delays?

You can try and blame the Republicans and Fox News, but the fact remains, Obama and the Democrats own this disaster we call Obamacare.

• Gram Cracker Price, UT
    March 12, 2014 9:25 p.m.

I want a president who has personal dignity. I want a first lady who does not go on TV to dance and act like a California girl. I want to respect my president and first lady, not get sick watching their goofiness on TV.

• Noodlekaboodle Poplar Grove, UT
    March 12, 2014 4:44 p.m.

@David
    It's because people under 30 don't watch any of those media outlets. People in that age range watch videos on the internet. Which is why it makes sense to make this video. The people that they want to sign up for insurance get their media through this type of source.

• gmlewis Houston, TX
    March 12, 2014 2:56 p.m.

I am a frequent FOX news viewer, but I also get my news from other local, national, and international sources (in various languages). Admittedly, FOX news has a significant conservative bent, and I feel free to adjust for that.

However, they are a good source for lots of facts that correspond to the other news sources. The only FOX program that I have no use for is Hannity's diatribe. His rudeness undercuts his credibility.

The big difference between FOX news and the other news outlets is that FOX won't "let sleeping dogs lie." When the current administration messes up, the other news sources report it for a few days and then drop it when the administration fails to explain what really happened. FOX news reports it the first few days, and then keeps on reporting on it month after month and year after year.

Until the current administration offers a meaningful explanation, FOX will keep on reporting on it. Of course the liberals want to call it an invalid news source, and wish it would go away.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2014 1:16 p.m.

@Sven
    "Now these people are being forced to purchase more expensive policies with higher deductibles and higher premiums"

You just say that and hope it's true. There's primarily two types of plans people were dropped.

One that has basically all the stuff they need to be ACA compliant minus one thing or another and those people would find a similar plan on the exchange at similar cost. Most of these people are working for companies that have already switched to a different policy anyway so it's really not 4.7 million being thrown off if most of them have different insurance.

The second group of people will have more expensive policies for sure because they had junk plans before that barely covered anything and was pretty much insurance in name only.

"like a good totalitarian, Obama tells these insurance companies they can reinstate these canceled health plans "

That's what he gets for listening to people like you... you all complain, he does something, then you complain he did what you wanted.

Oh, and you clearly ignored the several million left off of Obamacare without insurance because Republican governors didn't take the Medicaid expansion.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    March 12, 2014 12:31 p.m.

Sven- "4.7 million people lost their insurance coverage?"

WRONG . . . see what I told you about FOX "NEWS" and other Right Wing propaganda outlets? It's standard operating procedure for them to lie, mislead, and confuse. That non-fact made the rounds, and a lot of people voiced it, but it's still false. It's been thoroughly debunked.

Check the Washington Post Fact checker or Politifact.

Most of those people did not lose coverage even for a millisecond. Their plans were automatically switched over to plans that met the basic criteria for the ACA.

Right Wingers have been programmed not to accept facts, when they can just reject the facts with hazy charges of liberal bias in the Lame Stream media.

Most of the rest of your "facts" are inaccurate too.

And what does it matter what percentage of the 4.2 million people who have signed up already had coverage? I liked the coverage I had, and I didn't sign up for ObamaCare. Is that bad or good in Right Wing logic. Why should it matter?

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    March 12, 2014 11:27 a.m.

IMAPatriot2 said to, Gary O: "FOX "NEWS" is to real news as Professional Wrestling is to the Olympics."
    "Really? You just dismissed the intelligence of millions of Americans who find Fox News interesting, informative, and objective. "

Don't feel bad millions of otherwise intelligent people believe All Star Wrestling is real too.

• Sven Morgan, UT
    March 12, 2014 11:20 a.m.

I missed this in my cut and paste from my Word doc...should've been the lead sentences:

"So let me see if I understand this; Obamacare is the law of the land, yet Obama is still out trying to sell this disaster? Thought you Liberals said Obamacare was a raging success? So what gives?"

• Sven Morgan, UT
    March 12, 2014 11:03 a.m.

Here’s what gives:

* 4.7 million Americans lost their insurance coverage under the “Individual Mandate” portion of Obamacare. Insurance companies were mandated under the ACA to drop coverage to be in compliance with the law. Now these people are being forced to purchase more expensive policies with higher deductibles and higher premiums

* In November, like a good totalitarian, Obama tells these insurance companies they can reinstate these canceled health plans (see above). Unfortunately if these companies do this, they’ll be breaking the law. Guess he thought this meaningless gesture would provide himself and the Democrats some temporary cover.

* In February Dear Leader delayed the “Employer Mandate” portion of Obamacare for businesses with 50-99 employees until 2016. Now why would he do this? This will make the 4.7 million who lost their coverage small potatoes…and the Dems know this.

* Only 3.3 million people have signed up for Obamacare. Of the 3.3 million who’ve signed up, less than 500,000 were previously uninsured. This is contrary to what Obama, Nancy Pelosi, and other Liberals told us.

Nothing funny about it.

• IMAPatriot2 PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    March 12, 2014 10:05 a.m.

Really? You just dismissed the intelligence of millions of Americans who find Fox News interesting, informative, and objective. It amuses me that people who use this tired accusation have the ability to dismiss the feelings and views of millions of others with such a cavalier statement. I suspect it says more about the accuser than those being accused.

• IMAPatriot2 PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    March 12, 2014 9:58 a.m.

LOU Montana: I'm glad you are enjoying your health care cost and deductible. You can thank the rest of us for financially supporting your good fortune. The Democrats and the President passed a law that makes the 99% pay for the 1% in the name of caring? I single out the Democrats and the President because there was NO support outside of these elected officials for this law. It was unilaterally passed and now those who "passed it without reading it" are scrambling to distance themselves from it or making fools of themselves by trying to defend it. It was a tax on mostly the middle class and is a job killer at best. I'm sure there is a better, less costly, and more efficient way to provide this service.

• Eli Tesecular PhD Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2014 9:22 a.m.

Obama's performance was excellent. I look forward to seeing him co-star in Hangover 5.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    March 12, 2014 9:11 a.m.

This was my first exposure to this 'show' or whatever it is. The president was a bit too serious, and the host really isn't very funny at all. He just seems incoherent.

• KDave Moab, UT
    March 12, 2014 8:51 a.m.

Nixon went on Laugh-in to try to redeem his popularity. We know how that turned out.

• Jamescmeyer Midwest City, USA, OK
    March 12, 2014 8:39 a.m.

I would suppose the sort of young audience that watches this show would consist primarily of those young people who've already signed up (or those who've been able to successfully).

And David, thank you for your comments. I don't have animosity against the President for being on this show; but I'm disappointed in what he's done and said, and more especially at the way people who support him in such things so inaccurately deride me and people like me.

Using sound reason and looking at things as they really are without being forced into compliance by peer pressure or what's "popular" politically or socially, but dismissed as biased or brainwashed? Being ridiculed at work for smiling and laughing more often than everyone else, but told here that I need a laugh track to know when something's funny? Do you realize how insane (and unconvincing) this is?

• David Centerville, UT
    March 12, 2014 8:33 a.m.

GaryO, Happy Valley Heretic,

Nice assumptions, but I don't watch FOX news. I get my news from the Deseret News, Salt Lake Tribune, Time Magazine, KSL radio. I do online research when the liberal media reports don't pass the scratch test.

Where do you get your news? I am sure it is a balanced, fair source.

• Utefan60 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2014 8:34 a.m.

LOU Montana, It is your experiences of a good thing with The Affordable Care Act that makes Conservatives just cringe....because you were able to really get insurance! This is something they never have provided.

A very close friend of mine in the Pharmaceutical Industry was caught in a huge layoff this week. He had always criticized "Obama care" per his company's line. He called me and said that under Cobra it would cost him $3,000 per month. He went online, (quite reluctantly) and found coverage for $400.00/month for his whole family. They had preexisting conditions too.

He said he had to reevaluate his thinking. His company let many go because they were highly paid employees and soon eligible for huge bonus payouts. They were let go due to Corporate greed. He is so thankful that he has insurance coverage under a program that he had bad mouthed. Many of us are thrilled that ACA is in force! Thanks to a great President!

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    March 12, 2014 8:18 a.m.

So what have we learned here...conservatives need a laugh track to sense humor.
    Conservatives have a lot of difficulties signing up for Obamacare. (or I suspect they are just repeating stories they heard on the radio)
    Fresh air is apparently repeating the same nonsense over and over without any new info or merit.

Obama goes on a comedy show and is funny.
    Previous President provided hours of laughs, not on comedy shows though.

David said:
    How can you be so sure? Because your world perspective, you friends, and your sources of information tell you so?
    I would have an easier time believing you if you hadn't followed your comment above with the Fox top 10 propagandized stories of the Obama administration.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    March 12, 2014 6:07 a.m.

Obama, funny side. What I saw was corny. I don't think anything about Obama is funny. He is a bad dream come true,

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    March 12, 2014 6:04 a.m.

To those who hate Obamacare; please tell me when the cost of healthcare ever went down? Please tell me why they raised the rates on your insurance? Please tell me why employers are dropping healthcare coverage?

Does the word "Greed" ring a bell?

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    March 12, 2014 5:48 a.m.

Obama is a much classier person then GW ever could hope to be.
    I recently became unemployed, made to much to get Obamacare assistance and I am a cancer survivor. Chances of getting any type of personal health insurance during the Bush years would have been impossible. The insurance companies love the words "PRE-EXISTING CONDITION" and that would be the end of your life.

Yesterday I purchased for the wife and I health insurance for less than $500 a month with a low and reasonable deductible and no problem with my "PRE-EXISTING CONDITION"! The GOP must be having a fit with people like me.

If you have ever been sick or have had a sick child you will never forget or forgive being denied for "PRE-EXISTING CONDITION".

United we stand, divided we fall. The GOP just does not get this!

• IMAPatriot2 PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    March 12, 2014 5:27 a.m.

Actually, I don't think this was funny. I think it was demeaning for a president. Bad taste.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    March 12, 2014 4:19 a.m.

David - It was Charles Krauthammer who said FOX "NEWS" provides and "alternate reality." I was surprised he admitted it, but I absolutely agree with him on that point.

The billionaire plutocrat Rupert Murdoch introduced FOX "NEWS" in 1996 to create and sustain a population of malleable minds who would willingly accept personal sacrifice to support a corporatist anti-American agenda . . . essentially a mass of pliable peons who would do the bidding of self-serving wealthy.

Obviously he succeeded. Now "Conservatives" regard FOX "NEWS" as gospel and relegate the old stalwarts to the lamestream-media category. CBS, ABC, and NBC, who brought us news of the D-Day invasion and the Kennedy assassination are now diminished and disrespected as "Leftist Propaganda," in the minds of Right Wingers.

But here I am, still living in the Land of Reality. Fortunately there are still enough of us realists around to point out the error of your ways.

. . . You're welcome.

• Nate Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 11, 2014 11:26 p.m.

Wow. How could Obama possibly look more pathetic and desperate?

• David Centerville, UT
    March 11, 2014 9:21 p.m.

GaryO,

It is interesting that you are quite convinced that it is the conservatives that are "so successfully propagandized" and live in "an alternate reality".

Very interesting indeed.

Obama tells the news and nation that the IRS did not target specific groups to delay or deny certain status prior to the election. Then we discovered that was not true.

Obama tell the nation that you can keep your insurance and your doctor. Then we discover that was not true.

Obama ridicules Romney for stating that Russia is a world power risk. Well, we've discovered Romney was right and Obama was wrong.

Obama blames the Benghazi uprising on a video. We discover that was not true.

Obama says he will not raise taxes on the middle class. Well, we've discovered that is not true.

Are conservative really being duped? Or is it liberals?

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2014 7:34 p.m.

Ya'know, it's good the President knows when to take a joke and how to roll with the punchlines. But, most of all, I wish it weren't necessary to do so.

Unfortunately, even he, deep down inside, must acknowledge that his greatest "achievement", even his very namesake, Obamacare, will go down in history, as it has in the mere six months it has been "active", as a monumental joke.

Worst of all, as a monumentally **bad** joke, with the country having to pay the price for it.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2014 7:30 p.m.

The desperation of the politicians who have staked there careers on defeating the popular affordable health care act like the Texas congressman add to the humor. Zak should have on Senator Lee and Cruz next.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2014 6:27 p.m.

@Mountanman
    "For millions of the rest of us, its like a breath of fresh air!"

That opposes virtually any form of clean air regulations.

• ute alumni SLC, UT
    March 11, 2014 5:44 p.m.

obamacare is the joke, it just isn't funny

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    March 11, 2014 5:39 p.m.

My deductible went from $1500 to 7k... I'm glad somebody thinks this is funny.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    March 11, 2014 5:17 p.m.

Thank you Mountanman for reinforcing my points. Of course FOX "NEWS" is "a breath of fresh air" for Conservatives. It's pure escapism. It delivers an "alternate reality" as Charles Krauthammer so insightfully put it.

It lets you escape into a make-believe world where certain horrible truths never rear their ugly heads, and you can forget the horrible history of Right Wing leadership in this nation. In the fantasy world of FOX "NEWS," all those years of Right Wing malfeasance never happened.

And David, you misunderstand me. Obama can communicate through legitimate news media, but the malleable "Conservative" minds (so successfully propagandized by the likes of the Koch brothers and Rupert Murdoch)have diminished and reassigned the mainstream media to the "lame stream" media. And that incredible alternate reality, that fantasy world of FOX "NEWS," has supplanted reality as the preferred basis of worth.

What Right Wingers can't seem to understand is that a delusion is still a delusion, even if it is shared by millions.

The Right Wing Supermen of Hitler's Third Reich had to learn the hard way. I hope American "Conservatives" can eventually be more receptive to reality. And the sooner, the better.

• Utefan60 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2014 4:55 p.m.

His communication was brilliant. Everyone today at the gym was looking at the sketch. It had everyone's attention. He is a brilliant leader and as for Fox news, how can people even listen to that stuff. It is just commercial spin without much truth.

I'm so proud of our President. Even Fox News said that the Republicans should take note.

• Dr. Thom Long Beach, CA
    March 11, 2014 4:42 p.m.

Since December I have tried to signup for healthcare through the ACA website. Having gotten to the point where I wanted to select a healthcare plan, I hit a logical loop that took me back to the start of the application process. The APA help-desk suggested that I delete my original ACA application and reapply, since this logical loop has happened before, and this workaround apparently seems to be effective. When I asked what would happen if her suggestion became untenable, she responded "It shouldn't take ten times to get the system to work."

So, after deleting my previous account and starting from scratch, I was able to get 75% of the way through the process only to get a system error. Starting over for the ninth time, I completed the process and selected my medical plan. Since I qualify fro a $865.00 a month credit, the only option was The Coventry Health and Bronze Deductible which has a $12,000 per-person deductible and a $15,000 family, so until I cross the magic threshold of $13,500 per annum, everything will be out of pocket.

In the end, the ObamaCare pays Coventry $10,380.00 per year for healthcare I cannot afford to use.

• David Centerville, UT
    March 11, 2014 4:20 p.m.

GaryO,

If ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, etc provide such great information and truth, why can't Obama communicate and get his message out through those outlets?

Does the entire country only get their news through FOX so Obama must go to comedy network programming to get his message out?

Or, is Obama...

...simply a joke?

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    March 11, 2014 4:13 p.m.

Gary O. If you don't like Fox News, don't watch it! For millions of the rest of us, its like a breath of fresh air!

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    March 11, 2014 3:39 p.m.

It's no surprise the Right Wing publication, The National Review, would heap criticism on Obama for appearing in a comedy sketch.

But communication is communication. And Obama really can't communicate through a Right Wing Propaganda outlet that takes his message and distorts it beyond all recognition.

What Right Wingers fail to realize is that their Right Wing publications are much less reflective of reality than programs like the Colbert Report. Colbert and John Stewart can convey truths, while Right Wing Propaganda outlets seek to hide the truth and substitute ridiculous spin.

Essentially Right Wing so-called "News" outlets are not news outlets at all. They're completely fictional and an "alternate reality," as Charles Krauthammer so accurately characterized FOX "NEWS."

It's silly that Nielson ratings would even put FOX "NEWS" in the same category as legitimate News outlets like CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN etc.

FOX "NEWS" is to real news as Professional Wrestling is to the Olympics.

Obama has every right to communicate to the American people without having his words and motives twisted by a distorted Right Wing lens.

• David Centerville, UT
    March 11, 2014 3:40 p.m.

Obama, Community Organizer, Commander in Chief, President of the United States, Obamacare Insurance Sales Rep.

Yep, he has many hats and titles.

It seems the title he is exercising the most, however, is Obamacare Insurance Sales Rep.

When do we get a president?

One a better note, it is good to see his humorous side.

• the old switcharoo mesa, AZ
    March 11, 2014 3:37 p.m.

It just wasn't very funny except for the "try being short, fat and smell like Doritos and make it in Hollywood."