New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace Cecil Samuelson

• Mack2828 Ft Thomas, KY
    May 6, 2014 6:03 p.m.

He doesn't look very happy about the selfie.

• trueblueBYU Provo, UT
    March 16, 2014 3:18 p.m.

My impression was that it was a full conversion. Who knows. I have degrees from 3 universities, but could never develop a loyalty except for BYU. I imagine the Samuelson's had a hard time making the change.

March 15, 2014 7:06 p.m.

Pops, a double negative does not make a positive. That's an old (English Teacher's) wives' tale.
    One observation that hasn't been emphasized in all this fan fol-der-rol is that many of us have split loyalties: cheer for both teams until they play each other; then we pick sides. I'm in that profile. But I also agree with an earlier post that pointed out there's more to life than sports. Like paychecks, yes--but also the value that comes from a solid university education, and both schools excel at that. That's really where it counts.

March 12, 2014 7:17 p.m.

"I'm a Salt Lake(county) Mormon and I do not root for BYU in hardly any games."

I see that a double negative was used in that sentence. A more clear phrasing would have been, "I'm a Salt Lake (county) Mormon and I root for BYU in almost all games."

Good for you! That's how a rivalry ought to work.

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    March 12, 2014 6:49 p.m.

Once again ladies and gentlemen, who founded the University of Utah? That's right, Brigham Young. Anyone associated with U of U, past or present, is really just another BYU student or graduate.

Silliness aside, what do both schools do in their power areas? They turn out well-prepared graduates, many of whom have distinguished themselves in life.

One interesting stat to research: how many UU/BYU grads have earned graduate degrees at the other school?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 12, 2014 3:27 p.m.

I'm not suggesting Samuelson would return to be a Ute just because he used to be, but because Utah is BETTER.

Want to try again?

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    March 12, 2014 11:59 a.m.

President Samuelson was a greater leader at BYU. Under his leadership the level of scholarship has increased, the amount of under graduate involvement in research (a program initiated under President Bateman) has increased, the purpose and function of university-approved housing has become clearer, and many other things have improved.

The university ended having a separate College of Health and Human Performance, although the programs there were retained and moved to 4 different colleges. The new alignment makes more sense. There were several other reforms, that on the whole I believe have made the university a better place.

• Mark3054 Lehi, UT
    March 12, 2014 9:56 a.m.

Thanks to President Samuelson for 11 years of great service. I wish you well in your retirement no matter where your loyalties take you. Good luck to President Worthen.

@Chris B

And I am sure that Kyle Whittingham and the other former BYU players on the Utah coaching staff are still members of the Cougar Club anxiously waiting to retire so they can return to BYU. If we use your logic, their loyalty to Utah is only as deep as the paycheck and their heart is really in Provo.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    March 12, 2014 9:45 a.m.

I attended both schools. There is no comparison. The caliber of individual, on the average, is so much higher at BYU it's no contest.

President Samuelson came to BYU, had a wonderful experience, did a wonderful job and will always love BYU and by loved by BYU. There's no question about that.

• rawlshea1 salt lake city, UT
    March 11, 2014 8:30 p.m.

Cec Samuelson is simply the best. Probably the only group to be upset about President Samuelson moving to BYU were the employees of Intermountain Health Care where Scott Parker (another genius of management) had expected Cec to succeed him until the Church gave him his new calling. Incredible work from which the State, the Region and the Nation benefited.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    March 11, 2014 7:21 p.m.

Ken (and any other BYU "haters") here is a reason to root for BYU.

Eleven years ago this past December my daughter, one of over 30,000 BYU students, was returning home for Christmas. Her driver had a bad accident in the snow in central Utah. They air-lifted her to LDS Hospital in SLC where she should not have survived. In the first 10 days following the accident she received personal visits from the Dean of Students and the then President of BYU and his wife.

Now can you name any other college or university in the country where the Dean and the President would bother to drive 50 miles in bad weather to show that type of love and support for ONE of their students?

No, I can't either. From that day on I determined that only BYU would ever receive my contributions.

• Kaladin Greeley, CO
    March 11, 2014 5:49 p.m.

President Samuelson was the president for most of my time at BYU. He was a president we students felt connected to even if we didn't know him personally. That is difficult to do. I am dyed in the wool true blue through and through but his affiliation with the U never bothered me nor does anyone else's. Of course I'm always going to root for the Y over the U, but that ends it for me. We should all be a little more purple (which was easier when the Jazz wore purple).

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    March 11, 2014 5:32 p.m.

Cecil Samuelson...a wonderful leader for BYU and a wonderful example of class! He will be missed. All the best to President Worthen!

• Eliot Genola, UT
    March 11, 2014 5:04 p.m.

"Whoosh, Cecil" had a wonderful, aliterative sound to it that seemed to flow naturally from the student section. "Whoosh, Kevin" just doesn't have the same ring to it. Perhaps, given the free throw fortunes of the current team, it ought to be "Clang, Kevin"?

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    March 11, 2014 4:54 p.m.

Sandy, UT

"@RBN, I'm a Salt Lake(county) Mormon and I do not root for BYU in hardly any games. If you are and you do, I believe you are in the minority. .... Perhaps the day will come when I consider myself a BYU supporter most weeks, but I believe a good portion of Salt Lake Mormons want BYU to lose as much as possible."

Can you please explain your twisted statement: "...I believe a good portion of Salt Lake Mormons want BYU to lose as much as possible."

I'm sickened by the thought that any Utah resident adult would root against their rival when that rival is not in the current contest. I mean I even root for the Trojans when their victories do not impact my Bruins.

You may want to re-think your position.

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2014 4:38 p.m.

President Samuelson was a great President for BYU. He was the President for all my years there. I seem to remember in a devotional or forum that he said something along the lines of having converted to being a BYU fan (although I am not sure if this is just my mind making something up or not), so I am not so sure about him becoming primarily a Ute again, although I am sure he has always cheered for the Utes when they were not playing BYU throughout his tenure as BYU President. If he does become a Ute again, he will be one awesome Ute that most of the rest of the Utes (as well as many Cougars) could learn a lot from as far as being civil and respectful of the other team and University. He will be missed. Whoosh Cecil!

• amagnetick AV, CA
    March 11, 2014 4:26 p.m.

Amazing, you can take a piece about BYU getting a new President and it turns into comments about a rivalry. Seriously, some of you people need to figure out what is really important in life. I'll give you a hint, it isn't sports.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    March 11, 2014 3:40 p.m.

Good for him to finally be able to retire! BYU is a better place the past 11 years.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    March 11, 2014 3:25 p.m.

@RBN, I'm a Salt Lake(county) Mormon and I do not root for BYU in hardly any games. If you are and you do, I believe you are in the minority. The rivalry is changing and will continue to change as Utah develops rivalries in our new conference and byu does with whoever will play them. Perhaps the day will come when I consider myself a BYU supporter most weeks, but I believe a good portion of Salt Lake Mormons want BYU to lose as much as possible. Congratulations to Samuelson and he deserves a nice break.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2014 2:53 p.m.

I don't think President Samuelson ever left the Crimson Club. I suspect that he is like a lot of Salt Lake Mormons. He's a Utah fan, but roots for BYU in all but rivalry games. For a few years he had to suspend his better judgment during those rivalry games due to his employment or calling. I think he learned long ago that there is no need to be snarky in the rivalry.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    March 11, 2014 2:26 p.m.

Help! I don't know anything fundamental about either of these two men,
    even after reading the article and comments. I feel like I do when
    I am asked to participate in a credit union election, or after
    reading a brochure on a political candidate. It sounds generally
    good but what do I really know?

I get that they are, or else were, both general authorities, that the old BYU president
    did "immeasurable good". I don't doubt it but what good exactly? Please
    someone tell me something else, a lot of things, that is very specific, not just improved
    "rapport" etc.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    March 11, 2014 2:11 p.m.

Nevada Coug-- "Swoosh Kevin" of course!

• Lew Scannon Provo, UT
    March 11, 2014 1:18 p.m.

Thanks to President Samuelson. Congrats to President Worthen. As for Samuelson rejoining the Crimson Club, that may not be possible. He's got too much blue in him now, which makes him, um, purple. Does that mean he'll now be cheering for Weber?

• michaelandersen88 Provo, UT
    March 11, 2014 1:17 p.m.

@Chris B I am sure he will love being back with the U, but I am sure he has a place in his heart for BYU too.

I know that he has a place in our hearts.

Thanks for sharing him with us for a while.

• Fifth Angel Orem, UT
    March 11, 2014 1:14 p.m.

President Worthen is a General Authority. He is an Area Authority.

• chopperdan Clovis, NM
    March 11, 2014 1:10 p.m.

A lawyer! yahooo!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2014 12:52 p.m.

RBN - Cecil is probably pumped to be re-joining the Crimson Club. This time, Pac 12 style. Welcome back Cecil. You'll love it.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    March 11, 2014 12:41 p.m.

Now what will the ROC say after made free throws?

• Vanceone Provo, UT
    March 11, 2014 12:36 p.m.

Heh. My old contracts prof as president of BYU? Nice. I doubt he remembers me at all though.

Interesting that they didn't pick a general authority though. President Bateman and also President Samuelson were both GA's before. Dean Worthen wasn't.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2014 12:32 p.m.

It will be good to have President Samuelson back in red.

• Allen C Christensen American Fork, UT
    March 11, 2014 12:28 p.m.

Cecil O. Samuelson has been a marvelous university leader. His ability to direct the university and build individuals in the process has been nothing short of remarkable. Those who have been acquainted with university administrative processes have treasured his leadership and the dignity with which he and Sister Samuelson have built rapport with the students, staff, and faculty and the community at large. I thought that toady's dignified and sustained standing ovation was an accurate reflection of just how beloved President and Sister Samuelson have become to Brigham Young University. His influence and her influence for that which is noble, praiseworthy and of good report will be felt for a long time to come. As a BYU alumnus, I'm deeply grateful to them for all they have done for BYU. Many, many thanks!