'Noah' receives disclaimer, may be banned in numerous Islamic countries

• fletche5 Savoy, IL
    March 30, 2014 12:33 a.m.

Do NOT go see Noah the movie!!!! I walked out of it (one of the first I have ever walked out of). I went trying to give Hollywood the benefit of the doubt, knowing that they would need to add some artistic interpretation given the small storyline from Genesis. However, when Hollywood injected the idea that Noah couldn't get answers from God and wanted to murder his granddaughter, I couldn't stand it anymore. I was disgusted by the portrayal of an axe wielding Noah who kills countless people. I was appalled by the fact that they made up a storyline that a bad guy secretly snuck on to the boat and conspired with Ham to kill Noah while on the boat. I was offended that they portrayed a prophet as a man not preaching repentance but as a man determined to end the human race including his own family. Besides the fact that there is a man with a boat and animals, this movie in no way follows the story found in Genesis.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    March 25, 2014 8:22 a.m.

The account of Noah is one of the most well attested in Hebrew, Christian and Moslem tradition and scripture. MUCH detail is given in scripture but this movie predominantly trashes Noah and lies about the most basic elements of these accounts:

1. The Bible states that: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God. (Genesis 6:9).

The "movie" shows Noah as an evil man who hates mankind and even his own family, and sets about murdering them.

2. The Bible states that: God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply and replenish the earth.

This bizarre and evil film shows Noah as hating and wishing the destruction of the entire human race, including his own family, and suggests that the only purpose of the ark was to save animal life.

The Bible states that: Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you, even as the green herb have I given you all things. He adds: Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed, for in the image of God made he man. (Genesis 9:3,6).

• Aggie5 Kuna, ID
    March 24, 2014 8:08 p.m.

I believe the bible to be exact and true.
    Just like the b of m.
    We will see in heaven.

• raybies Layton, UT
    March 24, 2014 7:31 a.m.

Interesting when we compare Islam we go back to the dark ages. When we examine Christianity we also go back to the dark ages, hoping for rhetorical points.

Both have very little relevance to today.

• Lasvegaspam Henderson, NV
    March 21, 2014 9:21 p.m.

I recently saw The Son of God;the film, that is. Though I am LDS and the film did not contain significant doctrinal points in which I believe, I have recommended it to others. Similarly, I will support the film Noah so as to encourage other writers/directors/producers to further invest in films on these topics.

• Sachsen England, 00
    March 21, 2014 11:57 a.m.

Kings Court
    Alpine, UT

"Without those (Muslim) scholars, our Constitution would have never been written and our government would look very different today assuming we even had achieved independence or Columbus discovered America."

er....not really. The US Constitution is directly descended from the peculiarly English notion that freeborn men should be able to choose their own destiny. The Roman and later European concept of power permeating down from an Emperor rather than upwards from the people was completely alien to the English (and later American) way of thinking. The US constitution exists because of Anglos-Saxon tribesmen not Muslim scholars.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    March 19, 2014 2:13 p.m.

so according to you back in the 1800's, people didn't only live to about 60 yrs old? Compared to now when people live into the 100's sometimes including my own grandpa. then why not 950 yrs old thousands of years ago? we're you alive back then?

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    March 19, 2014 2:05 p.m.

@Tyler D
    don't predator and prey animals live together at the zoo? Noah couldn't build cages? he built a massive boat why not a few small cages?

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    March 19, 2014 1:59 p.m.

"While artistic license has been taken, we believe that this film is true to the essence, values, and integrity of a story that is a cornerstone of faith for millions of people worldwide," LOL yeah sure

• TheTrueVoice West Richland, WA
    March 19, 2014 1:42 p.m.

Meah. It's all made up fables and mythology, it is completely laughable that critics would complain it is not "historically accurate". It takes about 5 minutes using a calculator to demonstrate this is simply another ludicrous fairy tale.

• G-Day-M8 WVC, UT
    March 19, 2014 8:25 a.m.

Tyler D,

Why the demeaning retort to Twin Lights? He was agreeing with you that the movie will be a largely fictitious account of the bible.

So what if he believes the bible story, I do too. I respect your unbelief, so leave it there.

• Dibs Alpine, UT
    March 18, 2014 11:24 p.m.

What? The "religion of peace" would ban a bible movie? I'm shocked.

• CBAX Provo, UT
    March 18, 2014 5:16 p.m.

So why did christianity have it's dark age during the dark ages and Islam is only doing it now? They are really regressing it would seem.

• Kimmyd Salt Lake City, UT
    March 18, 2014 3:37 p.m.

I'm not sure that Noah had highlights either….

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    March 18, 2014 1:36 p.m.

For those who think there is insufficient material in the scriptures to pen a scripturally faithful script on the subject of The Flood, I would point out that there are five chapters in the Book of Genesis very pertinent to this subject and at least two in The Book of Moses in the Pearl of Great Price. There is more than enough for a serious and scriptural epic, one that is long overdue.

What a pity that all we get is this tawdry offering that is hardly based on scripture at all, ignores most of the scriptural material that is available, and invents derisible extraneous material that is contrary to both the letter and spirit of the biblical account.

I encourage interested parties to read the available scriptures in Genesis 6 through 10, and Moses 7 and 8, thirteen pages in my scriptures. What a vast canvas is there presented. What a wonderful movie it would make!!

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    March 17, 2014 7:26 p.m.

The actions of Muslims in a few nations should not be taken to reflect the views or attitudes of all Muslims everywhere. Islam is a religion lacking a centralized leadership, and the actions and views of Muslims vary across a wide spectrum.

• shamrock Salt Lake City, UT
    March 17, 2014 6:37 p.m.

@Twin Lights:

Do you really believe that Noah lived to be 950 years old? That's quite a stretch.

• Tyler D Meridian, ID
    March 17, 2014 9:10 a.m.

@Twin Lights – “I believe the Biblical account…”

Hmmm… just want to make sure I understand. You believe in the literal flood story, despite there being zero scientific evidence such an event ever occurred not to mention the logical problems with the story itself (predator & prey animals livings together, food/water supply, number of species on the planet vs. what could possible fit on even the largest boat, a salt water flood necessarily killing all fresh water life, etc., etc., etc…)?

Even as a teaching story (which is what all religious myths are) I find it troubling on many levels, and as I’ve said before, the most troubling aspect of the Bible for me is there seems to be only one absolute moral imperative throughout – Obey God!

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 17, 2014 8:34 a.m.

I plan to see the movie when it opens. I consider myself intelligent enough to know the difference between a Hollywood account and actual history. (In fact I've recognized the difference since I was in the third grade) From what I've seen in the trailers it will be a dramatic and exciting fictional portrayal of an ancient historical event. I'm sure I'll be entertained. And if not.. well, I will at least enjoy the popcorn.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    March 16, 2014 10:25 a.m.

What I'll be interested to see are the box office results.

It opens on the same day as Sabotage w/ Arnold. The next week is the Captain America sequel.

• EPoint Roy, UT
    March 15, 2014 7:42 p.m.

Who is this "sg"? everyone is writing to? Can't find any name in the article with these initials, neither does it refer to Deseret News.

Movies continue to escalate in violence, loud volume, creation of controversy, in sexual content, special effects, etc....this movie is no doubt part of that continuum, and not pretending to tell the actual, as that, incredibly, would be too dull and boring to today's movie goers. "Noah" no doubt is about making money, and is a vehicle to some to get folks to view what they consider their talents to be.

Islam does seem to be doing that which Christianity & Judaism should be doing, that is holding to the story and values of Holy Scripture.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    March 15, 2014 12:01 p.m.

Tyler D,

I believe the Biblical account and I still agree that you will be entertained by a (largely) fictitious account. The trailers I have seen have little to do with the story I know.

• K Mchenry, IL
    March 14, 2014 10:38 a.m.

It's really not a matter of choices. You nothing about Islam, or some ultra conservative Jewish Americans and Amish who will also not be watching the movie. It's not how the prophet is portrayed it is THAT an image of him is displayed via a human actor. That in itself is incredible disrespectful in the Muslim faith. A country whose constitution is based on Islam or has a large number of Muslims is going to prohibit it. They aren't angry that the movie exists. As for the Christians in the US who decide in advance not to see it, no one is required to see it. They can not make a two hour movie and not add stuff in.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    March 12, 2014 4:04 p.m.

Unfortunately, the Islamic nations have remained in the dark ages. There is little progress beyond where they stood in 1300 and the clerics that run these nations seem much inclined to remain this way.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    March 12, 2014 8:11 a.m.

I never seen a Biblical movie that didn't take artistic license.

• Lew Scannon Provo, UT
    March 11, 2014 9:35 a.m.

As for needing a disclaimer that the movie contains extrabiblical material, all I can come up with is "Duh." There isn't enough biblical material to fill a half-hour movie, let alone a full-length feature film. Do they think we're idiots? Well, maybe.

• Tyler D Meridian, ID
    March 11, 2014 9:20 a.m.

@Gildas – “I just ask that people who are considering taking their families to this movie will seek out a score of reviews and diligently consider.”

I wouldn’t worry too much. For most people like me, watching Noah (which I plan to see) will have the same impact on our lives as watching Lord of the Rings… which is to say I will enjoy being entertained by a (fictitious) movie if the story, script and acting are good.

And that would not change even if the script were word for word from the Bible, although I doubt a 5 minute movie would be very entertaining.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    March 11, 2014 9:03 a.m.

I don't think that "Noah" should be banned but I hope it will be widely boycotted as an insult to the faith of tens of millions of Christians, Jews and Moslems throughout the world. I just ask that people who are considering taking their families to this movie will seek out a score of reviews and diligently consider. The disclaimer does not go far enough in my opinion.

As for Moslems the faith stated, accurately as far as the LDS faith goes. that the Judaeo-Christian culture has abandoned much of its original righteous practice. It amazes me that so much of the so-called Christian world does not even officially accept the divinity of Jesus Christ. We can all do better, Christian, Jew and Christian alike.

• PurpleUnicorn New Zealand, 00
    March 11, 2014 3:41 a.m.

sj, as well meaning as you may be Islam as a religion is not as horrible as you portray. There are many good Islamic people and many teachings of Islam are good, albeit not as great and whole as the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

What you say is very offensive to them and I would encourage you to gain a fuller understanding of Islam as well as other religions not of our faith...not with the intent of conversion to these other relgions, but to gain an understanding and thus a deeper level of empathy for other people in general. :)

• Kings Court Alpine, UT
    March 10, 2014 9:08 p.m.

Allah is a derivative of the word "Elohim" and is the same God as the Jewish and Christian God. While not a Muslim, I do respect their right to worship as they please. I think you misunderstand their angst against depictions of Allah or prophets. Muslims are extremely adverse to anything that looks like idol worship. The religion was founded as a reaction to the idolatry that was rampant at the Ka'aba in Mecca (Mekkah) in the 7th century, so it does make some sense that they view any graven image, including pictures, as idolatry. Like Mormonism, Islam is a restoration religion.

Also, during the Dark Ages, Muslims in Cordoba, Spain created a tolerant environment where Muslims, Christians, and Jews lived in relative peace together and the Muslim scholars there rescued much of the art, literature, and history of Ancient Greece, and Ancient Rome that would be re-introduced to European societies during the late Middle Ages. Without those scholars, our Constitution would have never been written and our government would look very different today assuming we even had achieved independence or Columbus discovered America.

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    March 10, 2014 2:59 p.m.

Chris B: Please read my comment again.

- I praised the Islamic civilization during the Dark Ages.

- I closed my comment by saying that "modern Islam does not accurately reflect the entire history of Islam."

Clearly, my comments were about Islam centuries ago.

Likewise, my references to Christianity were in the context of the Dark Ages. Even a cursory study of history reveals that illiteracy was common among royalty and the common masses alike in England and France, for example. By comparison, Spain had a strong Moorish influence and, as a result, had several cultural centers of learning and art.

Most of Europe was illiterate, uncultured, and warlike well into the 12th century. Even after the Enlightenment began to take hold, it took several centuries for Christian nations to eclipse Islamic nations in art and literature.

Certainly there are factors outside of the two major religions of Christianity and Islam. But in 1088, for example, when the Normans invaded England, I think the world views of Islam and Christianity would be much the opposite of what they are today.

My objection to sg's comment was his claim that Islam has been a problem throughout its history. Not true.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 10, 2014 12:37 p.m.

I don't see how banning a film encourages art, literature, and the advancement of social enlightenment.

We often rag on Christians for blind obedience or repression of rights and choices.

Banning a video from an entire country because it goes against the religion of some in your country?

That doesn't exactly jive with what joe is telling us about Islam.

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    March 10, 2014 11:42 a.m.

sg: To the contrary, when the predominantly Christian nations of Europe were wallowing in the "Dark Ages," Islamic nations and societies were thriving with art, literature, architecture, philosophy, and social enlightenment. Much of what has been preserved in literature we owe to the Muslims. They did not repress their people or discourage them from learning to read the way the "Christian" nations were doing. They had great libraries and encouraged education.

Modern Islam does not accurately reflect the entire history of Islam. For someone to make the blanket statement of condemnation that you made shows an incomplete education of Islamic history.