Opinion

Letter: End daylight saving time

Comments

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2014 7:41 a.m.

LDS liberal
    Thanks for making my point

• Jamescmeyer Midwest City, USA, OK
    March 13, 2014 10:15 a.m.

How and why did a tiny letter expressing an opinion about an annoying but largely minimal change in measurement about time bring in complaints about conservatives and liberals?

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    March 13, 2014 8:38 a.m.

Counter Intelligence
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I abhor DST
    and I find it interesting, yet typical, that the "tolerant" people are so intolerant of those for whom DST does not work

5:29 a.m. March 13, 2014

========

I'm sorry you don't get around much.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    March 13, 2014 5:29 a.m.

I abhor DST

• Thoughtful Voter Spanish Fork, UT
    March 12, 2014 11:31 a.m.

With 1 day left in the Utah Legislature, HB197 already passed the House and made it out of committee in the Senate. HB197 requires the State to hold at least one public meeting before November of this year discussing the pros and cons and costs to the State, resident businesses, etc. of potentially abandoing the DST madness and just staying on DST or non-DST year-round. It also requires a report written up and made publicly available. Pretty simple bill, actually, but the closest thing we've had to sanity on this issue so far (in my opinion).

If you're so inclined, contact your State Senator and urge them to pass HB197 before the session ends tomorrow. To be fair, there are like 400 other groups fighting to get other bills on the floor and not all will get a vote. But if you're lurking this far into the comments on this story, you certainly might be passionate enough to contact a State Senator about DST. Please do! :)

• AZKID Mapleton, UT
    March 11, 2014 4:25 p.m.

Let's change to two time zones in the country--one for the east, one for the west. The net effect would be that eastern and mountain would perpetually be on standard time, while central and pacific would be perpetually on daylight time. I could live with that for a variety of reasons.

• Cincinnatus Kearns, UT
    March 11, 2014 1:49 p.m.

I've heard all sorts of arguments for, and against, DST.

But, John Charity Spring's theory about DST and morality was the best I've heard so far. I know some people don't like losing an hour of sleep, but this argument is a non-starter. It seems to me that, especially in our day and age, with all the nifty technology we have, like electric lights, people will go out and "party" even when it's dark.

Besides, I thought sin liked the dark, not the light. So, in reality DST should actually cut down on sin.

• Tyler D Meridian, ID
    March 11, 2014 8:55 a.m.

The most hilarious thing for me about this article is you know there are people reading these comments thinking, “hmmm, now I know I like DST (or don’t) because so and so and his ‘ilk’ are on the other side.” It’s like watching the doctor tap a knee with a reflex hammer

Can’t wait for next week’s hot topic – “I like broccoli and you should too.”

• Nate Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 11, 2014 8:50 a.m.

@one old man

"Daylight Savings Time and Traffic Accidents," April 4, 1996, The New England Journal of Medicine.

To be fair, there is a corresponding drop in accidents when we fall back, so it may be a wash. The point is, people don't function at their optimum level when we mess with the clock. There are human consequences Mr. Franklin may not have been aware of.

• SG in SLC Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2014 8:36 a.m.

I am always amazed at the folks who complain about having to adjust their clocks one hour, twice per year. Of all the truly serious things out there to have heartburn over, this just doesn't rank very high, in my opinion. If most people are honest about it, I think they would have to admit that the one-hour time change is little more than a minor inconvenience that only has a minimal short-term impact.

Keep Daylight Saving Time, or get rid of it; I really don't care that much, either way. I do like DST, because I like to have daylight later in the day during the longest 8 months of the year (give or take), but it's a personal preference thing. My second choice would be to observe Daylight Time year-round, but as that would be essentially equivalent to shifting Utah into the Central Time Zone from early November until early March, I don't think that is too likely. But even if the powers-that-be chose to observe Standard Time year-round, I wouldn't consider that worthy of complaining about.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    March 11, 2014 8:03 a.m.

This is crazy, just adjust your schedule. The "Man dictates and controls time" point is overdone.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    March 11, 2014 7:45 a.m.

Here's another "liberal" who hates DST. But I won't complain about it, how's that.

• 4word thinker Murray, UT
    March 10, 2014 11:05 p.m.

SLC, being near the Pacific Time Zone line, has high noon sun at 12:25 on standard time, and 1:25 on daylight savings time.

We should do like Arizona, and just skip DST. We have some daylight savings built in by virtue our location. We don't need to get greedy.

• Badgerbadger Murray, UT
    March 10, 2014 11:02 p.m.

If people want to get up earlier, why not get up and golf in the morning and let those who want to sleep in, do so.

If businesses want to open earlier in the summer, so they can close earlier, so it is still light enough to golf, they are free to do so.

My almost 91 year old mother is at least twice as confused as normal for her, and is so much weaker and more tired and non-functional today. I would have let her sleep in, but we had appointments this morning on DST, and we couldn't be late. It is hard on everyone to adjust, but those who have pre-existing frailties magnify the problems so they are oh so obvious.

But liberals don't seem to care, which is weird, because they claim they are the only ones who care about the elderly. Today we see who wants granny to go off a cliff.

Airnut - did you forget that you told us your alter ego, Open Minded Mormon, is not a liberal?

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    March 10, 2014 10:09 p.m.

RedShirt;

I'm a libertarian and I find DST silly.

Tyler D;

Nail on the head.It was a great concept for the 20th century.

• Pendergast Salt Lake City, UT
    March 10, 2014 10:05 p.m.

I loved waking up in the dark this morning???

Morality aside, we have technology. Why do we need this antiquated concept called daylight savings?

re: airnaut

The only thing constant is change. So, Conservatives hate everything??

• one old man Ogden, UT
    March 10, 2014 4:53 p.m.

Nate, may we see some serious documentation for the claim that traffic accidents increase after changing times?

• Tyler D Meridian, ID
    March 10, 2014 3:18 p.m.

OK, so I’ll chime in as the lone liberal complainer (at least most on this board think I’m liberal… a whole other discussion).

I don’t like DST mostly because I don’t see the point. It seems like an arbitrary and anachronistic contrivance designed to maximize harvest time (or golf games, or playing in the tree house, or…).

And really, unless you’re living in Alaska any time after say 9:00pm should be nighttime… not evening or dusk.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    March 10, 2014 3:11 p.m.

Is it April first, and is this an April fools joke?

I mean sometimes the comments here are really laughable but DST, and the Nazi's?

You do know Nazi's breathed air don't you. Should we avoid that also? My, my, my.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    March 10, 2014 2:18 p.m.

To "airnaut" go back and read the comments. You will find that the ones filled with the complaints come from the liberals.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    March 10, 2014 2:02 p.m.

RedShirt
    USS Enterprise, UT
    To "airnaut" the irony of your statement is the fact that most of the people complaining about DST are liberals.

1:43 p.m. March 10, 2014

Salem, Utah

CB
    Salt Lake City, UT

and least we forget --

RedShirt
    USS Enterprise, UT

I can't help your reading,
    Not a single Liberal there...

• Fact Check Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 10, 2014 1:47 p.m.

Whatever we do, let's agree to drop the extra "s." It's Daylight Saving Time.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    March 10, 2014 1:43 p.m.

• Steve Cottrell Centerville, UT
    March 10, 2014 1:42 p.m.

Benjamin Franklin's Essay on Daylight Savings time was published in French Journal in 1784. The idea did not originate with Nazi Germany.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    March 10, 2014 1:22 p.m.

Let's stick to facts - not hype.

DST was first adopted by Germany during World War I (no Nazis then). Britain and the US followed. It was implemented by FDR during WWII.

So please - DST is not a Nazi or a liberal conspiracy.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    March 10, 2014 1:21 p.m.

My clock in my dead seams to go off every day at the same time, summer or winter. I would be nice to sleep an hour longer.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    March 10, 2014 1:12 p.m.

The moral of the Story is --

Conservatives just don't like change,
    not matter what.

• CB Salt Lake City, UT
    March 10, 2014 1:12 p.m.

I don't like DST either because I spend the whole summer one hour behind. Seems a bit antiquated to me since we are living in an era much more advanced and systematized.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    March 10, 2014 1:08 p.m.

"It is established fact that Nazi Germany was the big proponent of DST. Does any more need to be said?"

Actually, yes. Why were they a proponent of DST? Can you provide any credible evidence?

Is it possible that they wanted to extend the Golf day?

Some studies suggest that more crime is committed during a full moon.
    I think we all know who we can blame for that.

Is there anything that you cant make a "morality case" against?

• Erika Salem, Utah
    March 10, 2014 1:04 p.m.

I'd love an extra hour of daylight in the MORNING. Nature has it right. I wish we'd stop this infernal clock changing every spring and fall.

• GZE SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 10, 2014 12:04 p.m.

JC Spring,

Way to manipulate data to prove whatever you want it to prove.

As the concept of Daylight Savings Time wasn't introduced until 1895, no wonder Ben Franklin didn't support it.

As to the Nazi connection: Starting on 30 April 1916, Germany and its World War I allies (Austria-Hungary) were the first to use DST as a way to conserve coal during wartime. Britain, most of its allies, and many European neutrals soon followed suit. Russia and a few other countries waited until the next year and the United States adopted it in 1918.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    March 10, 2014 12:02 p.m.

Open Minded Mormon
    Everett, 00
    It's quite simple, church meeting times are none of DN business. Talk to your ecclesiastic leaders. Parenthetically, letters to the editor are not "the DN," anymore then your opinions are the DN. They are opinions submitted to the DN.

• John Charity Spring Back Home in Davis County, UT
    March 10, 2014 11:39 a.m.

Not surprisingly, those who favor left-wing policies have been quick to attack all the posts which criticize DST. Part of this attack has been a campaign of misinformation.

Benjamin Franklin absolutely did not support DST. What he really supported was the concept of going to bed on time and getting up early in order to be productive.

• Nate Pleasant Grove, UT
    March 10, 2014 11:36 a.m.

The number of traffic accidents and heart attacks increases during the first 2-3 days after changing to Daylight Saving Time. It's like jet lag for the entire population.

• Deserthiker SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    March 10, 2014 10:55 a.m.

I personally find the disruption of my Circadian rhythms minimal. No big deal. Plan to go to bed an hour earlier one Sat night a year- adjustment made! Kind of nice having that "extra hour" of sleep in the Fall. I really enjoy the longer daylight hours in the evening- I can get more done outside after work- yard work, recreation, exercise, etc. Very soon the naturally lengthening days will have it light again by 6:30- no worries. If anything I would vote for DST year round.

• Demo Dave Holladay, UT
    March 10, 2014 10:05 a.m.

Spending more money, eating more, and using more energy is what they want us to do. It's not good for us as individuals but it's good for the economy, and money, above all else, is what it's all about. That's why it will never change.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    March 10, 2014 9:10 a.m.

JC Spring, thanks for the hardy laugh this morning, you should write for the "Cobert Show," seriously.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    March 10, 2014 9:04 a.m.

"The factor that is strangely ignored in this debate is the impact that DST has on morality."

Could it be ignored because you are the only person who views this issue in such a light?

"Do we really want a government policy which encourages addiction and crime?"

DST "encourages addiction and crime?"

I am confused. Aren't the bars, by law, still required to close at a certain time? How does DST affect that?

I must admit. Most of your posts have me wondering if you are serious or do you laugh at people like me who respond.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    March 10, 2014 8:57 a.m.

Why don't we see letters to the Deseret News every January complainging about Church time changes?...

I hate 9:00 am Sacratment Meetings,
    The 1-4 block is the worst.
    11-2 is right in the middle of my baby's nap-time....

huhrumpf!

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    March 10, 2014 8:32 a.m.

I love the long summer evenings. Most folks I know just use it for more family time and events.

• John Charity Spring Back Home in Davis County, UT
    March 10, 2014 8:28 a.m.

The factor that is strangely ignored in this debate is the impact that DST has on morality. What more important factor could there be?

Studies show that DST causes the general population to stay up later in the Sumer. Consequently, the public stays out late at bars and clubs, which in turn increases drunkenness and alcohol related criminal activity. The citizens pay for this twice: both as victims of criminality and as taxpayers with a higher tax burden.

Do we really want a government policy which encourages addiction and crime? No sensible person would say, "yes."

• Esquire Springville, UT
    March 10, 2014 8:24 a.m.

Amazing how some are so resistent to any sort of change....

I love DST.

• conservative scientist Lindon, UT
    March 10, 2014 8:05 a.m.

I personally would rather be awakened by the sunlight at 6:00 am rather than 5:00 am in the Summer - plenty early for me. I do many things in the early morning during the Spring, Summer, and Fall - often starting morning outdoor activities at 5:30 or 6:00 am - and daylight savings time doesn't interrupt any of them. It does allow me to spend more productive daylight hours outside in the evening at this time of year. To those who constantly complain about the one hour of lost sleep in the spring (including claims that it severely damages health), I can't imagine anyone with this mindset ever traveling across time zones, having children, completing college (or even high school), doing shift work or really working in any employment where one may have to adjust working schedule occasionally, or doing any of the multitude of other things that upset our personal circadian rhythms much more than daylight savings. Please quit whining and deal with it. Besides we get an extra hour of sleep in the fall.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    March 10, 2014 7:31 a.m.

I hate to tell you sir but a flight to Europe is far more disruptive to your system than losing an hour of sleep once.

BTW, try living on the easernt boundary of a time zone and see what that does to your system. The sun will come up an hour earlier than ""mother nature" planned for you.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    March 10, 2014 7:30 a.m.

Ah yes -- Utah,
    We have 2 things to look forward to twice a year ---
    the semi-annual LDS General Conference,
    and the Deseret News letter complaining about the time change.

---

"Energy savings was one reason for daylight saving time, but now it can be easily argued that the opposite is true, that we spend more energy with daylight time."

We spend more energy with daylight?
    Are you kidding me?

True, we humans use more energy during the daylight because we are AWAKE and WORKING.
    But your aurgement is 180 degreee opposite of the "truth".

BTW -- I like having a summer evening bar-b-que when it's still light outside,
    not having it hit 110 degrees before 9:00 a.m.,
    and not having to get up at 3:30 a.m. in the morning to golf, bike, hike, etc.

It's 1 hour,
    If your body can't adjust to that -- don't even think about traveling outside of the Utah bubble.

And --
    Why do people hate Benjamin Franklin?

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    March 10, 2014 6:00 a.m.

"Daylight saving time interrupts our natural human circadian rhythms"

My "circadian rhythm" is just fine. Even after being assaulted with this recent time change.

You may want to have yours checked.